This game badly needs mods and macros.

Zingas

I sorely underestimated just how poor the UI would turn out. It is so uncustomizable it isn't funny. Health bars, buffs, debuffs, and the power bar are all WAY too small. You can't move or resize anything, I HATE having the chat box up the top.

Not having a damage meter or even a freaking combat log is ridiculous. Why shouldn't we even know how much damage we're doing? I want to know what the best rotation is for my character and I have absolutely no way of working that out.

Macros are a staple in every MMO, how can you just not have them? There's a nice focus target but it's practically useless without focus macros.

These should be top priority for the next patch.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone,

The previous version of this thread exceeded our 1,000 post threshold, so we have recreated it here to continue the conversation!

As a reminder to everyone, please remember the following:

• Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Trolling - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.

Our community's Rules of Conduct can be found here.

Thanks!

many people use macros, to push one button and do 15 things, a real advantage over others who dont use them, and your argument, mainly the logic behind it, about you can use them too is fail, anyone can d/l hacks/cheats/bots/glider so why not use those too??

I dont ever want addons and macros in the game

if the game is at a point where you cannot win if you dont have a macro to do all your spells/ability/work for you, at once, find a new game

I think the game is fine without mods. The only thing that might be useful is damage meters. I think mods begin to turn MMORPGs into e-sports... It gets to the point where guilds won't let you in unless you download certain mods.

I can do without macros too. I think skill rotations are easy as it is.

And if a macro system is introduced... please... please do not make it advanced.

I'd just like to rephrase what is being asked for.

The game itself doesn't *need* addons, macros or mods ... some of the players do.

Not all of them.

I'll explain before the flames begin.

I'm a healer so damage meters are pointless for me. I don't pug and know people in my guild can do their job.

I've been a healer for nearly 14 years in a lot of different MMO's so am quite capable of healing the game in it's current state. I'm able to think for myself and adapt.

I'd be a pretty crap healer if I needed addons and macros to help me.

I won't say they don't make life easier but to say they are *needed* is a stretching it a bit. Some of us are managing just fine.

What is *needed* is Bioware fixing the damn raid frames so they show health in real time rather than showing everyone at full health when they are not.

Fine in 4 man content, it's easy to monitor 4 people but it's a bit more hectic trying to heal Warzones when it doesn't show health loss properly.

Edited by Gomla

I'd just like to rephrase what is being asked for.

The game itself doesn't *need* addons, macros or mods ... some of the players do.

They need to learn how to play then.

Addons dumb down the game. For instance deadly boss mods for WoW told you exactly what to do for every boss encounter. People couldn't learn what to do on their own? Seriously?

That stuff ruins MMORPGs.

Edited by Gestas

many people use macros, to push one button and do 15 things, a real advantage over others who dont use them, and your argument, mainly the logic behind it, about you can use them too is fail, anyone can d/l hacks/cheats/bots/glider so why not use those too??

I dont ever want addons and macros in the game

if the game is at a point where you cannot win if you dont have a macro to do all your spells/ability/work for you, at once, find a new game

Not all macros or addons have to do these '15 things' you describe.

Some can simply be used to make your UI look better.

I'm barely scratching the surface of the game, but if you think you can "set a rotation" and thus use a macro to execute it... you won't be a good player.

Rather, what you have to react to is priorities... what is coming off of cooldown, what special ability has lit up, managing your resource pool (esp. rage/focus).

For a healer or a tank it might not be necessary to have any damage meter. (Though in wow I've seen many many healers who was just using the wrong spells, and we could only see it via combat log. I'm sure there will be less intelligent people who try to heal in this game too)

But for a dps, it is absolutely necessary to have a combat log. Assume you have 15 dps in a raid setup. And your guild's dps is just not enough to kill a certain boss. What would you do as a raid leader? how would you know if someone is slacking? leeching others? how would you know who to replace? I certainly don't want to waste my time with "we are all brothers here! lets wipe here for hours together, I'm happy to boost you, you can leech me off as much as you want" attitude.

I'm barely scratching the surface of the game, but if you think you can "set a rotation" and thus use a macro to execute it... you won't be a good player.

Rather, what you have to react to is priorities... what is coming off of cooldown, what special ability has lit up, managing your resource pool (esp. rage/focus).

Of course if doing dps is simply as easy as "use whichever ability comes off cooldown" then this game is not nearly as good as wow in which dpsing is really fun, each class has its own unique mechanic and unique way of dealing damage.

I never was a fan of macro's. I don't know if it's just laziness or what, but I tend to think that I want to play the game myself. I don't see the fun in just running macro's who do it all for me and then say, look at how good I can play.

Especially in PvP, I would like the focus to be on player skill.

And people have leveled to 50 already just fine without damage meters. So, ok people want them, but obviously you don't need them.

Of course if doing dps is simply as easy as "use whichever ability comes off cooldown" then this game is not nearly as good as wow in which dpsing is really fun, each class has its own unique mechanic and unique way of dealing damage.

DPSing in WoW was extremely simple and tedious. I'm not saying this game will be any more fun in this department, but come on, "dpsing [was] really fun" in WoW?

Edited by Gestas

I never was a fan of macro's. I don't know if it's just laziness or what, but I tend to think that I want to play the game myself. I don't see the fun in just running macro's who do it all for me and then say, look at how good I can play.

Especially in PvP, I would like the focus to be on player skill.

How does a macro that uses a damaging ability on an enemy and a healing ability on a friendly target "play the game for you"? All it does is save space on the action bars.

I'm sorry, but when I read things like this, the only thing that I can think is that the person who wrote it is displaying a fundamental lack of understanding.

Edited by belialle

I've had 100s of uses for macros in WoW, "Setting a rotation" was never one of them...

Also, addons show me on my screen when my spells are off CD, instead of having to look at an action bar when I should be looking at the raid. Seems....almost....useful.

If they refuse to allow third party add-ons and/or macros in the future, I surely hope they invest a lot of time making the UI about 1,000 times more customizable. Many MMOers simply will not put up with it for long (Except me because I'm a SW junkie)

I have to agree 100% about the health bars thing. The fact that they do not update in real time is quite simply unacceptable.

I'd like some mouseover macros , just to make healing a little more err..flowy i guess. I dont 100% need them but they would be nice. What we DO NEED though is for someone at bioware to get onto the HP bars thing, pronto.

I sorely underestimated just how poor the UI would turn out. It is so uncustomizable it isn't funny. Health bars, buffs, debuffs, and the power bar are all WAY too small. You can't move or resize anything, I HATE having the chat box up the top.

Not having a damage meter or even a freaking combat log is ridiculous. Why shouldn't we even know how much damage we're doing? I want to know what the best rotation is for my character and I have absolutely no way of working that out.

Macros are a staple in every MMO, how can you just not have them? There's a nice focus target but it's practically useless without focus macros.

These should be top priority for the next patch.

You can move the chat box from the top at least :)

I No damage/threat meters in a modern MMO would be like Blizzard not adding replay functionality to Starcraft 2. It's a learning tool, so you can see where you went wrong and access possible ways to fix it. Complaining that it 'Ruins the game' is completely non-nonsensical as you are in complete control of it's use. If you don't like add-ons then form a guild of like minded people who think the same.

The crux of the problem though is that some people just having no understanding of DPS/Threat meters and some will use them as a way to flaunt how much better they are at the game than others. Here's the thing though, back when I played WoW my guildies and I would take the piss out of each other for beating each other on the dps meters ect and because we were mature and knowledgeable enough we laughed about it and strove to better ourselves in future raids.

People who lack the hand/eye co-ordination to play MMO's at a fast paced and optimum level fear being attacked for that. The simple fact is that there is thousands of people like that and so why is it not okay for them just join a guild together. They can't stand even playing a game with the very existence of something that does NOT affect them. Want to group, ask your guild. Want to raid, ask your guild. You can do these thing and none of it involves add-ons, some 14 year old punk starts acting like a tool, then simply kick him.

Gearscore and other add-ons like it were examples of add-ons that went too far, but people view them in the same like as damage meters and threat meters,which is wrong.

The UI problems are 100% quality of life issues and quite frankly should be supported by everyone. I'm sorry but there is not a single legit concern or argument that can be made against availability of UI mods that would have an impact on a non-mod user, it's complete ignorance.

Also the argument that things like DBM making raiding easier, is laughable at best. Mods like DBM are why WoW had some of the most challenging content in any MMO in the history of the genre. It allowed developers to push raiders harder and harder and harder. .

I whole heartedly agree with this post

TL;DR: if you don't like macros then don't use them, but don't drag down the rest of us that wish to have them!

Edited by Viladras

how about instead of needing macros/addons to play the game for you, you get better. Evolve or die.

Or how about I don't pay a sub ?

I'm sure you and many others don't care but something tells me BW will prefer to include things that aren't disruptive to other players but useful to many others.

Not all of us are video game smoking kids.