Is act 2 of the inquisitor storyline a bad joke?

acheros

Hey everyone,

I want to step in and remind y'all that while it is totally okay to critique story in our game, there is a big difference between constructive criticism and making personal attacks against a developer. We encourage you to keep giving us valuable feedback on story in The Old Republic, but please do not cross the line and make personal attacks. It is against our Forum Rules to call out players in a negative manner and this goes for developers as well. Users who continue to make personal attacks will be actioned accordingly.

Thanks for your understanding!

Im sorry but pretty much any criticism can be construed as a personal attack, are the game devs such fragile precious souls that they cant be called to account ot the work they do? On one hand you say yes the other you say no. The story in the inquisitor class line was horrible. The developers work was terrible, it felt rushed and contrived and whoever made it should be ashamed.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are bad parts to all story lines, but for act two I only know the trooper's:

Balmorra: We need the best explosives guy, so you are going to get this guy who has no business being in the military because he was dishonorably discharged for reckless behavior, and you have to help him blow up a base while sacrificing innocent resistance fighters.

I had a blast doing the 2nd act for the Jedi Knight; Same for the Sith Warrior. Jedi Knight was even more compelling since there was a connection between acts, unlike what happens with the agent's storyline.

I hated the way the JK Act 2 ended. The rest of it was all right.

Agent's Act 2 as a standalone was amazing. As part of an integrated storyline, somewhat less so, but still.

I just feel that the SI act 2 should have been about building a powerbase instead of ghost hunting. I mean how could you compete with Thanaton when all you got is some stupid cult and a ship that just kinda came out of nowhere.

I though SI Act 1 wasn't bad at all. Act 2 would have been better with less ghost hunting, and as someone said earlier, more power base-building. There's room for the ghosts, in my opinion, but concentrating on what comes after you get them was tedious. I disliked the Voss part especially.

I've gotten as far as landing on Corellia. And I have made the supreme error of watching how the story plays out - on Youtube. So I have been PvP'ing, doing the Makeb quests, and a flashpoint here and there...all the while trying to gather the interest to go back and finish, and I have to say, it's difficult to find that interest. It is eminently possible I'll hit 55 before that happens. I know it's entirely my fault I watched the videos - that doesn't change my lack of interest. :(

So what I get from all this feed back is you would want some re-hash story rather than something unique, but badly written. Oh search away fro a new holocron like Bane did, blah blah blah. This story offered more than you think, if you actually made your character seem interesting. A re-hash of a story would be worse than this one, seeing as people would say that's what so and so did, or tinitonk did that , than and there. Sure they went over board with the ghost busting, but remember for every ghost we met the more lore they could add later. The cure part made sense, also foreshadows Palpatine's problem in a good comic series, but getting Xalek should have been on Belsavis, not after Voss, also if you did the force persuade, then that is manipulating. There are so many half-baked complaints here that they ruin the mystery of sith sorcery.

I just wanted to jump in and say I actually enjoyed the Sith Inquisitor storyline. It's one of three I've finished all the way through, and I had fun doing it. It also has the single best nod (imo) to the original KOTOR game in what I have played.

Story quality is very subjective. What some people like, others will dislike. If you're not enjoying it, I suggest you either switch to a different alt (there are 8 unique stories after all) or level through FPs, Warzones and/or space missions and just space bar your way through the SI quests.

No one is forcing you to play through it, and there is zero chance Bioware is going to rewrite it based on your critique, so your complaints on the forum serve no purpose at all. (Outside of flaming and trolling, so I guess if those are your objectives, then congrats.)

No one is forcing you to play through it, and there is zero chance Bioware is going to rewrite it based on your critique, so your complaints on the forum serve no purpose at all. (Outside of flaming and trolling, so I guess if those are your objectives, then congrats.)

I think it's safe to say that no one expects a rewrite of anything already in-game, particularly something that utilized voice actors to do it. I don't recall anyone asking for one, or alluding to the fact that one is possible. If they can't add in new companions with new story angles (whatever they might be), it's ludicrous to assume anyone was even remotely suggesting that.

As to serving no purpose, I disagree. While no one in these forums approaches anything resembling Siskel & Ebert At The Movies, there are situations when legitimate critique of another's efforts can serve a purpose - to analyze what was liked, and what wasn't. This gives the company an idea of what the players would like to see, and what sort of content most interests them, and conversely what content did not inspire them,. This is, in fact, one of the reasons the folks running the game set forums like this up to begin with.

Granted, it does not excuse criticism of the authors themselves ("What the &^%$ was John Doe thinking???"), and one would be absolutely correct in stating that the game company is under no obligation whatsoever in taking the opinions and ideas of the folks who give them money any sort of consideration (and the chances are as good as not that this will be exactly the case). But like a book reviewer or a movie critic, such content is absolutely fair game for analysis and opinion. If you disagree, that is of course your prerogative, but don't expect many people to either agree with you or find any sympathy for your viewpoint.

I would rather like to know is this thread a bad joke? I'm shocked how the majority thinks Inquisitor story sucks. Gonna be blunt, do people only care about being "uber powerful" and having their player ego stroked by being Mary Sue Jedi/Sith with power level "over 9000!!!!!11"?

Im sorry but pretty much any criticism can be construed as a personal attack, are the game devs such fragile precious souls that they cant be called to account ot the work they do? On one hand you say yes the other you say no. The story in the inquisitor class line was horrible. The developers work was terrible, it felt rushed and contrived and whoever made it should be ashamed.

*Sigh* You make a better game then. Not sure why people hate on the Inquisitor story so much. Why are you so upset about becoming a member of the dark council, enslaving the ghosts of powerful force users, becoming the master of mysteries for the Sith empire? Seems pretty OK to me. If what bothers you is that there are some goofy parts of the story, I suggest you take a look at the broader Star Wars universe.

I would rather like to know is this thread a bad joke? I'm shocked how the majority thinks Inquisitor story sucks. Gonna be blunt, do people only care about being "uber powerful" and having their player ego stroked by being Mary Sue Jedi/Sith with power level "over 9000!!!!!11"?

Looks like two people are totally missing the point on why people hated the SI story its the whole premise and the how the characters and the sith inquisitor acts in the story.

Bioware touted the SI has the "Darth Sidious experience someone who can work from the shadows and pull the strings of others". With political machinations and other politics.

Instead what I got was lots of comedy/dark humor and indiana jones and ghostbusters. While the Sith warrior story has all the aspects that bioware described about the SI story hell even the other imperial classes has more politics than the SI. You are surprised a lot of people are annoyed?

Looks like two people are totally missing the point on why people hated the SI story its the whole premise and the how the characters and the sith inquisitor acts in the story.

Bioware touted the SI has the "Darth Sidious experience someone who can work from the shadows and pull the strings of others". With political machinations and other politics.

Instead what I got was lots of comedy/dark humor and indiana jones and ghostbusters. While the Sith warrior story has all the aspects that bioware described about the SI story hell even the other imperial classes has more politics than the SI. You are surprised a lot of people are annoyed?

You mean the same SW who turns out to be nothing more than a tool during the whole experience, unlike the SI, who comes to his own during the final act? :D

Edited by Darth_Wicked

You mean the same SW who out to be nothing more than a tool during the whole experience, unlike the SI, who comes to his own during the final act? :D

You mean simply falling into the chair more than anything else.

Here Is how I view the SI the SI is like a stupid boss that has their underlings come up with all the schemes/plans many people have said this in the topic and they are correct. I don't care where my character ends up but overall the SI story makes the SI a bloody idiot. While their IQ goes up during planet questlines.

My friends and guildmates have a saying for the SI story we just simply shoot force lightning all the way to the council seat. Plus the whole story of chapter 2 and 3 I think should of been different. Right now in the game its just bad.

Hell at least the sith warrior actually can have a head on their soldiers and they are the so called "brute" the sheer number of options that SW has to deal with situations is staggering compared to the SI.

Majority of the time choices for the SI come down to "Half hearted light option" or "Lightning".

The story of the SI is plain bad. The only good parts IMO where korriban and the end scene and the end had to be ruined by mortis stealing our kill.

Edited by lokdron

Sorry i have to agree. There's no manipulation. it's go here find, this, do this, and torture with lightning to get the desired results?

Where is the manipulation? Hell the IA story has more manipulation, twists and turns then the SI.

Sorry i compare the SI[least the assassin] More to darth Maul, infact i attribute the story more along the lines of Maul instead of Sidious.

Haven't done the SW yet, but that seems to me that the character was built on Vader minus the suit.

Sorry i have to agree. There's no manipulation. it's go here find, this, do this, and torture with lightning to get the desired results?

Where is the manipulation? Hell the IA story has more manipulation, twists and turns then the SI.

Sorry i compare the SI[least the assassin] More to darth Maul, infact i attribute the story more along the lines of Maul instead of Sidious.

Haven't done the SW yet, but that seems to me that the character was built on Vader minus the suit.

I agree here the IA has more manipulation and actually the SW is both Vader and Sidious or anywhere in between depending on which choices you pick.

For example on kaas

I made two gangs trying to steal something from me murder each with simple words. I did not even lift a finger. Plus pretty much the whole of chapter one is 1 big manipulation by the sith warrior.

When I played the sith warrior and IA I was wonder where were all these options in the SI story.

Just because the SI story line doesn't match Palpatine's story to the letter doesn't mean it's not exemplary of the Sith experience. Look at Darth Bane (and yes I know Bane is supposed to be more similar to the Warrior, but he's just not).

He spends the majority of his Sith life looking for mysteries of the force and trying to make himself more powerful. He also makes a lot of mistakes, and essentially ends up having to muscle and smash his way through them. His manipulations (with the exception of wiping out the entire Sith Brotherhood) aren't often these grand schemes, like Palpatine, but rather smaller scale manipulations designed to further his own goals, and remove potential threats to the Sith.

Just because the SI story line doesn't match Palpatine's story to the letter doesn't mean it's not exemplary of the Sith experience. Look at Darth Bane (and yes I know Bane is supposed to be more similar to the Warrior, but he's just not).

He spends the majority of his Sith life looking for mysteries of the force and trying to make himself more powerful. He also makes a lot of mistakes, and essentially ends up having to muscle and smash his way through them. His manipulations (with the exception of wiping out the entire Sith Brotherhood) aren't often these grand schemes, like Palpatine, but rather smaller scale manipulations designed to further his own goals, and remove potential threats to the Sith.

Funny thing is that the SI does not even do smaller scale manipulations its normally the npc giving all the plans and idea's and the SI just rolls with it. Plus making the same mistakes multiple times and even npcs calling the SI an idiot. Plus bane would turn in his grave being compared to the SI.

At least the sith warrior does large and small manipulations depending on your choices. The sith warrior gives a better sith experience. Depending on what kind of sith you want.

Anyway it was BIOWARE that set our expections for the SI story saying it was the "darth sidious expirence with working behind the scenes and manipulating people" and of course people got upset that they did not meet that expectation hell they flew right off the mark.

Edited by lokdron

Anyway it was BIOWARE that set our expections for the SI story saying it was the and of course people will be upset that they did not meet it hell they flew right off the mark.

YEAH BUT I'M A FANBOY DON'T BE MEAN TO MY GAME AND MY BIOWARE!!!!

I don't know. I actually put way more effort into arguing on this thread than I should have. Truth is, I was not nearly as excited by the SI storyline as I had been by the other 3 that I've played. That said, I still didn't think it was a bad story, just not as typically epic as say the Knight/Warrior stories were. In a way, that made it more unique...in a way

Missing the point is what I would say you're doing. What you're talking about is bad/false advertising, not bad storytelling. Does a bad/misleading trailer to a movie make the story in the movie itself bad? No. The trailer doesn't matter, only the actual story does. I get the expectations you had of the Inquisitor story due to Bioware/EA PR, but you simply need to look at the actual thing and judge that on itself. Saying that something is bad because it's not what you expected is not a good evaluation. Edited by Pietrastor

I loved the Sith Inquisitor storyline.

It went thru mysteries of the force, the surprise twist of your ancestor being a Dark Lord of the Sith.

The betrayel, seeking mysteries and a confrontation.

This is all very canon and was an amazing story. I suspect some people are too jaded to enjoy how thoroughly it was portrayed. Sith Sorcery has rarely been portrayed and for it to be shown in game was awesome.

Well compare it to it's Jedi equivalent. Now in the beginning the JC story was kinda boring. BUT! As the story picks up, the JC starts:

Forming alliances, getting people to aid the Republic. Hell the smuggler gets to set up his own criminal empire while being the republic's errand boy.

Point is, for me, there really is no manipulation of people. There is no feeling of changing things. Just go here, do X, and survive to become a stronger Sith.

I loved the Sith Inquisitor storyline.

It went thru mysteries of the force, the surprise twist of your ancestor being a Dark Lord of the Sith.

The betrayel, seeking mysteries and a confrontation.

And the very refreshing context of being a slave who is forced into Sith training and how how despite becoming a Sith (s)he is still fighting for survival and against those that want to use him, which allows for many different interpretations of the Inquisitor's character depending on how the players see it. The endings are highly climatic and fitting depending on your alignment. This is a great and rather unique personal story of a Sith. Edited by Pietrastor