Hotkeys

DaveMcKnight

Hi, I was watching a vid on YT and noticed that the person had managed to map all of their abilities to a key, and not just numbers. I've done Google searches, but can't seem to find an exact answer: how do you map hotkeys to your abilties? I'm just wondering because its getting bothersome when I'm fighting and realize I need to use an ability that I don't normally use and thus has been placed in one of the other three 'menus'.

Thx in advance for the help...

It's possible to "keybind" most of your abilities by accessing the Keybind Options from Preferences --> Keybinding --> Quickbar. Scroll down the menu until you reach "Quickbar 2 Slot #." From then on each of the selections will represent an ability slot (Quickbar 2 Slot 1 to Quickbar 4 Slot 12). If you click it you can type in your preferred keybinding. Also, if you don't like the original numbered keybindings on Quickbar 1, you can change those the same way you can change the others.

It's possible to use almost every key on the keyboard to activate an ability, but also be sure to watch out for accidentally binding keys that already have a use (i.e. Binding the key "C" to a slot will no longer allow you to access your character sheet by pressing it, then you have to reset it and it's a pain in the ***). You can also use CTRL or ALT or SHIFT + Letter/Number if you have preferred keys but can't use them more than once. I personally also like to use the mouse for keybinds, like CTRL + Mouse Wheel Up, Down, ALT +, SHIFT +, etc. I did however find out that some of my other mouse buttons that I use for easily browsing websites and such couldn't be bound, so watch out for that.

And if I didn't mention earlier, they don't show which quickbar is which, but Quickbar 1 is the top bar in the middle, 2 is the bottom middle, 3 is the left, and 4 is the right (going by the default interface preset "Extended" options).

Don't wanna make this post any longer or confusing, but the reason I said "most" abilities can be keybound is because some classes have more abilities than available quickbar slots (or if you like to keep certain non-class specific abilities (i.e. medpacs) on the quickbars like I do then you may have more abilities than slots available).

Anyhow, TL;DR:

Preferences --> Keybinding --> Quickbar for keybind settings, Quickbars 1-4, 12 slots each. Any key on the keyboard/mouse (mouse usually) is available to use.

Hope I didn't over-simplify things for ya.

It's possible to "keybind" most of your abilities by accessing the Keybind Options from Preferences --> Keybinding --> Quickbar. Scroll down the menu until you reach "Quickbar 2 Slot #." From then on each of the selections will represent an ability slot (Quickbar 2 Slot 1 to Quickbar 4 Slot 12). If you click it you can type in your preferred keybinding. Also, if you don't like the original numbered keybindings on Quickbar 1, you can change those the same way you can change the others.

It's possible to use almost every key on the keyboard to activate an ability, but also be sure to watch out for accidentally binding keys that already have a use (i.e. Binding the key "C" to a slot will no longer allow you to access your character sheet by pressing it, then you have to reset it and it's a pain in the ***). You can also use CTRL or ALT or SHIFT + Letter/Number if you have preferred keys but can't use them more than once. I personally also like to use the mouse for keybinds, like CTRL + Mouse Wheel Up, Down, ALT +, SHIFT +, etc. I did however find out that some of my other mouse buttons that I use for easily browsing websites and such couldn't be bound, so watch out for that.

And if I didn't mention earlier, they don't show which quickbar is which, but Quickbar 1 is the top bar in the middle, 2 is the bottom middle, 3 is the left, and 4 is the right (going by the default interface preset "Extended" options).

Don't wanna make this post any longer or confusing, but the reason I said "most" abilities can be keybound is because some classes have more abilities than available quickbar slots (or if you like to keep certain non-class specific abilities (i.e. medpacs) on the quickbars like I do then you may have more abilities than slots available).

Anyhow, TL;DR:

Preferences --> Keybinding --> Quickbar for keybind settings, Quickbars 1-4, 12 slots each. Any key on the keyboard/mouse (mouse usually) is available to use.

Hope I didn't over-simplify things for ya.

Since I'm not very good with complicated computer jargon, the way you explained it was probably best. Luckily, the only 'bound keys' I use are the directional ones and occasionally the one for chat, but since I'm currently focusing on the storylines more than the multiplayer aspect with groups and such, I don't have as much of an issue. I normally open my character sheet window and such manually anyways, so if I reassign those keys to a more useful ability than its no big deal for me....

Thanks for the help, Ergavore.

Since I'm not very good with complicated computer jargon, the way you explained it was probably best. Luckily, the only 'bound keys' I use are the directional ones and occasionally the one for chat, but since I'm currently focusing on the storylines more than the multiplayer aspect with groups and such, I don't have as much of an issue. I normally open my character sheet window and such manually anyways, so if I reassign those keys to a more useful ability than its no big deal for me....

Thanks for the help, Ergavore.

Anytime :)

• 4 years later...
Is it Possible to Bind more then 1 Ability to a Hotkey at once

The only way would be to bind two slots on your quickbar to the same key which you cannot do. Macros would be another option, but using those are against the TOS. So no, I don't think there's a way to do it.

No but you can always add shift or maj to bind another power to the same key.

*cough* Actually it is but it is against the rules around here. Policy is 1 key click = 1 action.

And, yes, that is one of the things that they are looking for.

You should be able to find something via a google search but for us to point you in the right direction risks our accounts as well.

Actually:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=3061390#post3061390

• No automation
  • No delays or looped commands in macros
  • It is okay to bind a macro that performs abilities after each other as long as it still requires the user to press the button on the physical keyboard each time a new action is performed

and

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6459160#edit6459160

• Sequence clicking
    If you have a system set up so that if you hit the same key 4 times likes so: '1, 1, 1, 1' and instead of just firing off whatever 1 is bound to it fires off '1, 2, 3, 4', then as long as you keep it to 'one key == one other key hit' its in that grey area of not true automation. There is a caveat - you can't have the macro determine a minimum time between clicks to work around the global cool down timing and only fire the next button in sequence if the GCD has expired.

If you instead have a system that when you hit 1, it fires of 1, 2, 3, 4 in quick succession or all at once (i.e. one click == many actions) in order to try and fire something that isn't currently in a cool down state then yes, that is against the ToS. Again, one click must always equal one action and only one action within the game.
Edited by Mubrak