No Lana Beniko Romance? Not a bug, you were just locked into a Valkorion romance!

matthobbit

TLDR: Couldn't get the Lana Beniko romance lock-in? It's because you unwittingly romanced Valkorion.

I experimented with one of my characters today, trying to get Lana Beniko as my romance. I'd gone through Shadow or Revan and Ziost, romancing her then. Then, at the start of KOTFE, I flirted exclusively with her at every opportunity, and never with any of the other characters.

I chose a mix of dark and light side choices throughout the chapters, but with this major choice: I accepted Valkorian's power every chance I got, because hey, I'm an arrogant Sith, but still want to try a romance with Lana, and she's Sith too so at least she might understand.

And when I hit the Cantina scene where the "lock-in" happens, Bam! No flirt option.

It appears that the storytellers for KOTFE at Bioware have decided that accepting Valkorion's power means that you cannot even attempt a romance with Lana. You don't even get an opportunity to get shot down, no opportunity for her to explain that she doesn't want to "romance" someone who gives in to Valkorion's power. I find this to be a very poor story choice and a terrible story mechanic for a few reasons.

1. As these forums have demonstrated, players are left extremely confused as to why they couldn't lock in a romance despite flirting constantly (the way it's been done in every single class storyline in the past). You can at least have a failed flirt attempt so she can explain!

2. While Lana has expressed concern over accepting Valkorion's power, she has never been overtly angry at your use of it.

3. Lana is the ONLY dark side Love Interest option for KOTFE. Making dark side choices shouldn't lock you out of dark side romance options! She is NOT a jedi!

4. Two of the three times you accept Valkorion's help, it is to save Lana, or save yourself. It can be the act of someone desperate, rather than evil.

5. Story-wise, it arbitrarily removes the emotional pull i was trying to create between my character and Lana. I realize it's ultimately the choice of the KOTFE story-masters to allow or disallow the romance, but its a damaging one. Removing the possibility of a romance seriously lessens any "hard choices" that my character may have to make in the future.

The Lana romance is bugged. My agent took Valkorion's power every chance he got and was still able to lock in Lana's romance at the end of Chapter 9. I still have the message that I am in a romance with her on her character screen as well. I did this in the days right after 4.0 dropped however. Something has changed since then for users now going through KOTFE. :(

Man, would I love to romance Valkorian/Vitiate though.

I play a female Sith Warrior who had a childhood crush on the Emperor growing up, and dreamed about personally serving him and learning from him. I would love for my character to be able to express romantic feelings towards the Emperor. To her, Vitiate/valkorian is the sexiest Sith to exist.

Wrong. I accepted Valkorions power on my inqusitor every chance I got and I still had the flirt option in the cantina and I locked in the romance with Lana. The only difference was the scene in chapter 8 when she comes to rescue me from Arcann, if you dont use Valkorions power you get a kiss, if you do she says ,,What have you become". But other than that no change. You can still lock in the romance with her if you accept Valkorions power, but I noticed there might be a problem for locking in the romance with her if your influence with her is low and you also flirted with Koth and Theron

I did this in the days right after 4.0 dropped however. Something has changed since then for users now going through KOTFE. :(

I did my Lana romance (DS JC) at that same time and I had flirted with Lana during SoR, I bowed to Valkorian, I lied to her about him being in my head, took every flirt during KOTFE scenes and I took every option to use his power and was able to initiate the romance in the Cantina scene and officially cheat on Nadia. Like I said early though this was way back when KOTFE first dropped and I haven't done any more Lana romance since to be able to comment on if this has changed more recently (which is appears to have).

Edited by BlueShiftRecall

• 4 weeks later...

I played KOTFE with 8 characters and always romanced Lana without any problems, even despite of any occasional flirting with Koth or Theron to padd approval rating. After several weeks of not playing a new character in SWTOR, I went into KOTFE with one this week and end up in the cantina scene where the Flirt dialogue option forces Theron. Didn't think about it up until this point but in chapter 8 it was Koth who came to rescue me, when in all my previous playthroughs it had been Lana so I guess the lockout occurred even before that.

I did

* tell Lana about Valkorion living in my head in the swamp

* always reject Valkorion's power when offered

* flirt with Lana when possible

Is there finally a bug confirmation for this? As said, I went through this process multiple times before and always got the same result - except for this time. I simply can not imagine where I could have messed this up.

I do have to ask the question. You guys unable to romance Lana, did you stop the story expansion at any time? Whether for real life crap, raids, doing other things, etc?

Thing I did, once you begin KotFE don't log out or leave or anything. You keep on going until you've finished chapter 9. If you don't have the time, don't touch that story until you can sit down and do nothing but chapters 1-9 until you get that cantina scene in chapter 9. Going to the bathroom is fine as long as you're back before the computer kicks you out of the game.

Try this IF this is the reason you're not able to romance Lana.

Take a toon who can do KOTFE, from chapter 1-9 and do not stop. Don't raid, don't cook, don't drop a duece, just keep on trucking until you've completed chapter 9 and locked that romance in. If you begin the story and then wait until the next patch, it might erase or reset things. If you begin the chapter and then leave to gtn, craft, whatever you do when you leave the continuous cutscene/story, you might be assed out.

See if this works if this is the reason.

Wrong. I accepted Valkorions power on my inqusitor every chance I got and I still had the flirt option in the cantina and I locked in the romance with Lana. The only difference was the scene in chapter 8 when she comes to rescue me from Arcann, if you dont use Valkorions power you get a kiss, if you do she says ,,What have you become". But other than that no change. You can still lock in the romance with her if you accept Valkorions power, but I noticed there might be a problem for locking in the romance with her if your influence with her is low and you also flirted with Koth and Theron

You got a kiss? I didn't. I'll have to do another run through.

• 1 month later...
It's not a bug you have to...as I just figured out...pick the flirt option in Chapter 9 when relaxing in the Cantina...a message will prompt during a private conversation with her that you are about to enter a romance with her if you accept then your relationship begins with her...most disappointing part of this however is that I did not pick this option on my main character as I didn't really understand what was going on and have now missed my chance to romance Lana on that character...I really hope Bioware fixes this and gives players who may have looked past this ambiguous situation another chance to enter a relationship with whichever character they want to in the game...

Wouldn't a Valkorion romance mean you're a narcissist? :p

OT: Lana bugged? Working as intended :rolleyes:

If Bioware wants to make the focus in TOR story to the exclusion of everything else, that story should be godsdamned bug free.

Edited by Diviciacus

• 4 weeks later...
It's not a bug you have to...as I just figured out...pick the flirt option in Chapter 9 when relaxing in the Cantina...a message will prompt during a private conversation with her that you are about to enter a romance with her if you accept then your relationship begins with her...

The bug is that the game doesn't give you the option to talk privately to Lana during that scene, even if you've flirted and kissed her in the previous content. Either it only gives you the option to go with anyone else you flirted with, or if you flirted with no one else then it gives you no option to romance anyone.

I forgot where I read it, but the bug with the Romances is that with EVERY new chapter released, your Romance Flags are completely reset. Doesn't matter how much you've flirted, unless you've locked in the romance with your chosen partner in chapter 9, in which case your romance is saved. I know a few of my characters that I've started KotFE on haven't reached chapter 9, but are flirting with Lana non-stop. Those characters are now screwed come chapter 9, UNLESS you aren't there yet and somehow get lucky and have a FLIRT option pop up, you then TAKE IT. The bug corrects itself if you at least have one flirt flag with your chosen partner come the chapter 9 cantina scene. So long as you get there before the next chapter release. If not, you are out of luck.

So like another poster said, the best thing to do is play straight through to chapter 9 and lock your romance in. You can do other stuff too, like warzones, etc if you want while doing the story. Just lock your romance in BEFORE the next chapter comes out and you should be good.

One worry I do have is even if we do lock in a romance with Lana, etc, is that while locked in, are our flirts from then on erased with each chapter release too, leaving us with the stock romance that we got at chapter 9? If so, I wonder if we'll be locked out of a final romance scene if our romance flags aren't high enough come the end of Season 1. Here's hoping that is not the case, seeing as its not our fault we have to wait 1 month per chapter after the release of chapter 9, in which the bug has been present since chapter 10 was released.

I'm not sure if this is part of the bug or not, but I figured I'd add my two cents (and possible solution) to this Lana debacle.

I hadn't played my DS JC in months, so I'd completely forgotten whether I had actually chosen the flirt options with Lana, even though presently I like the idea of a romance with her. I got to the cantina scene of chapter 9 and had no option to (flirt) talk to anyone. So, I reset the chapter on a whim, and when Theron showed up, I took every flirt option with him that I could, just so I'd get the (flirt) talk option in the cantina, and hopefully the ability to romance Lana through that.

So I get to that cantina scene again, and this time I do get the (flirt) talk option. However, when I select it, I have the option to (flirt) talk with Theron, or just plain talk to Lana. A bit dejected, I figured I'd just talk to Lana and carry on with the story sans romance.

However, when I spoke with Lana privately, during the second set of dialogue, there was in fact a flirt option available that let me lock in the romance. I have no idea if this is a bug or due to a bug, or whether I just found a weird work around, but I'd love to know if flirting with Theron, selecting the (flirt) talk option in the cantina and selecting to simply talk to Lana enables anyone else to get the romance lock-in with her.

(As an aside, I also accepted Valkorian's power at every turn as far as I can recall, and lied to Lana about it).

I do have to ask the question. You guys unable to romance Lana, did you stop the story expansion at any time? Whether for real life crap, raids, doing other things, etc?

Thing I did, once you begin KotFE don't log out or leave or anything. You keep on going until you've finished chapter 9. If you don't have the time, don't touch that story until you can sit down and do nothing but chapters 1-9 until you get that cantina scene in chapter 9. Going to the bathroom is fine as long as you're back before the computer kicks you out of the game.

Try this IF this is the reason you're not able to romance Lana.

Take a toon who can do KOTFE, from chapter 1-9 and do not stop. Don't raid, don't cook, don't drop a duece, just keep on trucking until you've completed chapter 9 and locked that romance in. If you begin the story and then wait until the next patch, it might erase or reset things. If you begin the chapter and then leave to gtn, craft, whatever you do when you leave the continuous cutscene/story, you might be assed out.

See if this works if this is the reason.

What you're saying seems to be true.

I've flirted with Koth every time I could with my BH, and played up to the cantina scene. I got the flirting option, but got interrupted by real life, escaped the scene and logged off. Next day, I go back to my toon, start the cantina scene, and guess what? No flirt option available! Reseting did nothing... Granted it was not such a big deal since my BH was going back to Torian anyway, but still.

I've also played a SW who accepted Valkoryon's power and lied to Lana, but still could romance her without an issue. And I played him without any interruption from chapter 1 to 9.

Next time, I won't disconnect until I'm sure that my LI are locked in by the game.

Edited by lanawinst

Well.... This was a rather scary situation.

Great that you guys found a way to work around the bug by playing Chapters 1-9 in one go but that is a tall order for me. I can barely find time to do one Chapter. I will wait with starting KOTFE for my Lana-hopeful Sithy-kitty until Season 1 is finished. Only two chapters left. When they stop releasing new chapters perhaps then it is possible to do them in a less stressful manner.

Keeping all my fingers crossed!

It's not necessarily in one go, though, is it? It's just that all 9 have to be completed before an update. If, for example, you can start Chapter 1 now and complete Chapter 9 before the new chapter update drops on June 28, you'll be fine. But if you stop Chapter 7 on June 27, and then continue Chapter 8 on June 28 after the maintenance, then the romance would be reset and you probably wouldn't get the romance scene in the cantina. If you complete Chapter 9 before June 28, when you get to the cantina you should have the romance. But if you don't think you can do it before then, you should wait until after the June 28 maintenance and start Chapter 1 after the maintenance, so you have the full time between that update and the next to complete. Am I right on this? I think that's what I've heard.

Am I right on this? I think that's what I've heard.

You are correct. Patches are resetting the flags if you haven't locked in the romance before the next update. You should have ~30 days between patches to get the first nine chapters done and the romance locked in before there's an issue.

You are correct. Patches are resetting the flags if you haven't locked in the romance before the next update. You should have ~30 days between patches to get the first nine chapters done and the romance locked in before there's an issue.

If this is true, then my Theron romance is surely gone. Way to go, BioWare!

If this is true, then my Theron romance is surely gone. Way to go, BioWare!

Theron is the only one that resetting chapter 9 can fix because his flags are set in the same chapter that the lock in is in. It doesn't work for everyone but it may help.

Edited by leviathanmirror

Just thought I'd post an update.

I took my Sorceress through to the beginning of Chapter 9 before the last patch hit, and I was still able to start (continue?) a romance with Theron yesterday.

Wow. What a stupid problem to have in the game. How could they possibly have missed such a big issue? If so then, that seems like it's irreversibly broken with my Smuggler then, since I've been on Chapter 8 waiting for a fix. No matter what I try I can't trigger the Lana kiss at the start of Taking Flight.

Fortunately I didn't intend for her to go beyond flirting with Koth and Lana anyway, but still that's kind of an outrageous oversight. :mad:

Does this also affect the old companion romance flags? Because obviously that would undo everyone's marriages. That would be probably the most horrible possible explanation for why Vette didn't mention Jaesa to me in Profit and Plunder.

Edited by OldVengeance