Next expansion 2014?

Torenator

I'm purely speculating, but I wanted to get others thoughts. Do you think we'll see another expansion this year, with a new planet(s) and a level cap increase? I know GSF has yet to fully release, and it comes with a new bolstering FP, but that is only one aspect of the game.

I feel like the game is regaining popularity, primarily because I and my friends have started playing again recently and the servers seem pretty busy. It would be nice to catch wind of another major expac in the works.

Edited by Torenator

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GSF is the expansion for the year. I wouldn't expect anything more until 2015. Once all the new mmo's come out this year I doubt there will be anyone left playing this game.

There will always be people playing this game, because "Star Wars". People were playing SWG right until the last possible second.

That said I'm not going to speculate on another expac, as I have no idea how much of what team was on Makeb vs GSF (i.e. was GSF in development all along or was it only once Makeb was out, etc.). Too many variables.

Once all the new mmo's come out this year I doubt there will be anyone left playing this game.

There have been a number of new MMOs over the last two-plus years that were supposed to do this. Game population seems relatively stable (how much money the game is making, nobody knows!).

As for expansions, I imagine this is the large-scale expansion for the year. However, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a new random planet (a la Oricron, etc.) as well as a bunch of flashpoints, pvp arenas, etc.

Personally, I haven't explored all the content that was out at launch -- this thing called a life -- so I'm sticking with the game for the foreseeable future ;).

- Arcada

GSF is the expansion for the year. I wouldn't expect anything more until 2015. Once all the new mmo's come out this year I doubt there will be anyone left playing this game.

I wouldn't really count it as a real expansion in this game's context, since there's no storyline, no new planet, no level cap increase, no new items, nothing. It doesn't even interact with the main game in any way, so it's more like a different game that shares thematic elements with SW:TOR. The original space missions are pretty much a minigame too, but at least you can craft components for your ship and use the space commendations to buy some items for your character. I'd consider Oricon to be more of an expansion for SW:TOR than GSF, and it wasn't marketed as such.

Then there's the fact that GSF is version 2.6. RotHC bumped version number to 2.0, so I'd expect the next big expansion to be 3.0.

Edited by DataBeaver

if GSF is seriously supposed to keep ppl playing until 2015, i dont see swtor having a very good 2014.....that aspect of the game only applies to the pvp crowd, and doesn't progress the story all that much.....game NEED's another makeb, but longer, much much longer in length, and without 100,000x mobs on every inch of a zone lol....totally killed any sense of exploration or immersion.

This! GSF hasn't even been "released" yet. GSF is the new looming expansion!!!

I wouldn't really count it as a real expansion in this game's context, since there's no storyline, no new planet, no level cap increase, no new items, nothing. It doesn't even interact with the main game in any way, so it's more like a different game that shares thematic elements with SW:TOR. The original space missions are pretty much a minigame too, but at least you can craft components for your ship and use the space commendations to buy some items for your character. I'd consider Oricon to be more of an expansion for SW:TOR than GSF, and it wasn't marketed as such.

Then there's the fact that GSF is version 2.6. RotHC bumped version number to 2.0, so I'd expect the next big expansion to be 3.0.

Pretty much this.

While I don't hate GSF, per se, my interest fell off very quickly after pre-launch. *maybe* if Fleet Reputation were a reward my ocd would compel me to grind out to get legend but that's what I'll be doing with the new fp. Since GSF has no real link to the main pve game in terms of gear and rewards, I simply have a hard time finding a point in continuing to play. it took me almost no time at all to get my ship to the mastered status, and I wouldn't see the point in grinding out max lvl on the rest of the components. so then what? rinse and repeat on a bunch of other ship types? just feels like mini game that quickly felt like a distraction from the main game with no benefits.

I sincerely hope a real expansion with real ties and benefits in the main game comes out and that GSF isn't "the big update" for 2014. especially since many of us have played it since late 2013. that would make 2014 feel like a year without updates.

Sooner or later Bioware is going to have to address the issue of new classes. Base classes and/or advanced classes.

Its a big Bugbear for EA because SWTOR wasn't really designed with the idea to drop in new classes. (Terrible lack for foresight IMHO). Most other MMOs that have been around as long as SWTOR have introduced new classes at some point, its hard to see how EA/Bioware can refuse to do so and still keep players

YES! The production costs for one would be tremendous. New story, new voice acting, the other classes would have to be rebalanced, etc. I am not saying its going to be easy or cheap for them. They certainly couldnt do it for free (even for subs). Nontheless they will have to address it one day or people will eventually start to drift to other games. Thats the nature of the beast.

So if EA/bioware is smart they should start thinking about how they can implement this.

That's what they said when Tera: Rising was coming out...

That's what they said when TSW was coming out...

That's what they said when GW2 was coming out...

Aw hell, they even said it when PS2 was coming out and that's not even an MMORPG!

I do sincerely hope that some of the people that are hating on this game move on to greener pastures and maby reduce their chances of getting an ulcer.

As for getting an expansion in 2014?

Maby... We are getting GSF pretty early, and companies rarely work on one thing exclusively at the same time so they might be cooking up something for the ground game later in the year.

Might even be around when some of the major titles are released to try and keep players interested in SW:TOR despite the new goodies coming out.

It's still possible I suppose.

I imagine that if they are doing one there will be quite the fuss about it long before it goes live - we've only just entered 2014, so there's still plenty of time for the fuss, with an expansion coming in the second half of the year or for Christmas/New Year.

It's still possible I suppose.

I imagine that if they are doing one there will be quite the fuss about it long before it goes live - we've only just entered 2014, so there's still plenty of time for the fuss, with an expansion coming in the second half of the year or for Christmas/New Year.

We heard about Cathar for over a year before 2.0. We heard about GSF for over a year before we began early access (as it's still not released). What new rumors have you heard?

We heard about Cathar for over a year before 2.0. We heard about GSF for over a year before we began early access (as it's still not released). What new rumors have you heard?

None whatsoever; and that's pretty much why the "It's still possible I suppose" was in there - I don't really see it happening, but it's not entirely out of the question.

I feel the same way. I really hope there's another expansion this year. Hopefully something that also changes some stuff in the base game.

Stand up comedy? :p

I understand that you do not like this MMO (it's pretty clear for all your posts), but that is not a reason to continue with this insistence that other MMOs launching will kill this (or any other) MMO. History simply proves you wrong.

As for the next expansion.... well.. let's see.... so far we have had two of them.. and they are releasing to subscribers approximately every 10 months. So personally, I expect we will see another in the fall. Of course two data points do not necessarily make a trend.. but it does demonstrate clearly that they are not running this MMO on bi-annual large boxed expacs. They are working to a model of more frequent smaller expacs delivered digitally (which frankly is where the industry is headed, and so they are actually a bit ahead of the curve on this approach in the industry IMO).

Edited by Andryah

With respect to data mining and marketing promotions early in the first year.. yeah.. we hear/heard about "possible" things a long time in advance.... via non-official internet chatter and speculations. But that is old thinking IMO, from before the game went to a flexible access business model. And really, people need to let go of old thinking because how this game was managed and administered in 2012 is no longer relevant (except perhaps to perpetual axe-grinders).

If you look at what they have done since November 2012... they do not in fact pre-announce and hype for a year in advance. The official announcement-2-release on Cathar, Collections, RoTHC, and GSF have all been relatively short lead time (a few months at most, not for a year or more).

Edited by Andryah

That's what they said when Tera: Rising was coming out...

That's what they said when TSW was coming out...

That's what they said when GW2 was coming out...

I've also heard this about ESO and FF Realm Reborn. I've tried all of these, excluding Tera, and always end up coming back to SWTOR. This really is a pretty great game, all things considered...

I have an official announcement email for RotHC dated 19th December 2012. Early access began on 9th April 2013, and it was released to everyone on 16th April. That's just under four months between announcement and release. If they have a similar schedule for the next major expansion, there's still ample time to announce it for this year.

I have an official announcement email for RotHC dated 19th December 2012. Early access began on 9th April 2013, and it was released to everyone on 16th April. That's just under four months between announcement and release. If they have a similar schedule for the next major expansion, there's still ample time to announce it for this year.

This gives me hope!

Somewhere, in a parallel gaming universe, my alternative me gets the following this year:

2.6 GSF

2.7 QoL improvement patch (e. g. legacy bank, individual spaceship interior housing, the much requested lick-emote :p fixed achievement system, fixed and upgraded codex etc. pp.)

2.8 Pazaak

2.9 Pod-racing

3.0 Some new awesome content with story and planet and some quests which involve using your brain more than your keybinds

Do I believe in parallel universes? I don't know, to be honest.

Announcing it is one thing, but they "hinted" at both GSF and 2.0 for well over a year. They even showed Cathar in action as early as

. Edited by TUXs