Thread: lock box debate
View Single Post

Ster-Ling
10.14.2012 , 08:47 PM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
Nice try putting words in my mouth.

Ah, who am I trying to kid? Not a nice try at all, just so much building of straw men.
Nobody put words in your mouth: you said you know what's in the lockbox, that it's gear. Later you said you know what isn't in the lockbox. These statements formed the basis of your arguments and refuting them isn't building strawmen. The fact is, saying that the box has something, then that it has nothing, is just arguing semantics. You don't know what's in the box and neither does anybody else.

Quote:
What makes you think that you matter enough to have what you think has or should have value will actually have value for that reason alone?
This sentence doesn't parse and could use some editing. Also it's a great example of what you tried to accuse me of doing: building a strawman argument. But I'll field it anyway.

My opinion of the value of a lockbox doesn't matter at all. What matters is that virtual items in games represent a value to mmo game customers. Whether they foolishly misappropriate a lasting value to the items or they more reasonably see an entertainment value in them, inasmuch as the virtual items ehance their enjoyment of the game, players do ascribe value to virtual items. A value for which they have demonstrated willingness to pay real money.

My opinion of this value, like yours, is irrelevant. People pay for virtual items and they will pay for lockboxes the contents of which are unknown, on the possibility that they may contain virtual items they want to "have."

Quote:
So reality doesn't matter? Only what you think matters?
All along, that has been your argument, not mine. You know what's in the boxes, you know what isn't in them. Caveat emptor, there is nothing of value in lockboxes. But reality will tell a different story. Virtual items represent an entertainment value to mmo customers, and whether or not I would ever pay real money for a sparklepony, people buy them and value them.

Trying to say that lockboxes aren't gambling because that value isn't real is just arguing semantics. Semantic arguments may be sufficient to keep this issue out of court, but it doesn't justify the business practice of monetizing art assets through a system whose only purpose is to expoit gambling behaviors on the part of customers.