Sorcerer - Healer?

UrbanChili

I only got my sorcerer to lvl 16 and didn't really pay much attention to the heal skill tree. I don't like to play cross profession chars (hated in Rift when everyone wanted my ranger to go bard all the time)

How much do people expect the sorcerer to heal in SWTOR?

I would rater make a healer than a sorcerer if I'm expected to heal all the time.

I don't mind minor support as sorcerer but spending all my ig time healing ...

Based on my limited experience playing this game in beta, I feel that this game actually does away with the "oh this is a healing class" stereotype due to the Advanced Class system coupled with the fact that many classes can in effect heal. Personally, I plan on healing as a Sorcerer, but I also agree with what that other guy posted above me: MMO vets don't stereotype as much. The game community here hopefully will be mature as it is more fantastical-based in incredibly popular lore, and those who play this game hopefully are the ones who love single player RPGs but are starting to feel lonely in them, if that makes sense..

For example, playing Skyrim .. It's awesome until you yearn to see other actual players playing

Well, I know that mmos are moving away from the "trinity" concept. GW2 isn't going to have it. I ask because in Rift being a ranger I was always asked to go Bard, support heal, and I got fed up with it and made a cleric (group heal)

I know you can swap build, but if my fav is being dps I don't want to heal all the time I'm in a group.

Well, I know that mmos are moving away from the "trinity" concept. GW2 isn't going to have it. I ask because in Rift being a ranger I was always asked to go Bard, support heal, and I got fed up with it and made a cleric (group heal)

I know you can swap build, but if my fav is being dps I don't want to heal all the time I'm in a group.

Make no mistake, this game is still "trinity" based. Flashpoints involve a dedicated Tank´s and Healer´s, as well as DPS, what classes fill those roles is largely irrelevant as long as they are prepared for it (skill and gear wise).

It´s a fact that most people will expect a sorcerer to be a healer, even tho it makes for a good damage dealer. Sorcerer will have to deal with it, as Shadow priests and Balance Druids did years ago (sorry for the WoW reference, but hey... its seems like its the simplest way to get a point across these days).

You will need to be clear when you go for groups. In beta, players asked for heals instead of a sorc. Sorc is not the only healing class, and it does cover ranged "magic", so for those who are from WoW, you might think Mage.

Every group needs the fundamental roles of tank, dps, cc and healer. I've been in groups where we used Khem Val as the tank and things worked (it was challenging, but we pulled it off). The great thing about SW:TOR is that there are several classes who can heal, and several who can tank, or dps.

I would imagine that when lfg, you will hear players asking for role fillers instead of specific classes. The exception is that for tough Heroics, you will need a specced healer because a hybrid won't be able to keep the tank healed. I have several years of healing and tanking experience, and was in beta for a year. (Just saying I am decent at playing a healer.) And there were some Heroics where even with a spec'd and geared tank, keeping him up was challenging. Early on, a few were simply brutal. I think they have things tuned pretty well by now. Past L20, you will want to have specced roles for the most part. Hybrids will have challenges unless they are really good.

The coolest groups I was in had SI's for all 4 spots with an Assassin tank, Assassin and Sorcerer dps, and a Sorcerer healer. Those were amazing!!!

I actually plan to play my sorc as a main healer type class. If you compare the heal skill trees to the operatives which is really the only other suitable option, the end heals they get from the tree are MUCH MUCH better than the operatives. That being said I prefer the sorc for this because they have a more direct heal play style with a barrier cc and some dot heals to supplement the direct heals.

I plan to spec 31 corruption 10 lightning, from what I played in beta it didn't seem that there would be multiple class sets like rift, you can make variations of the classes because of the skill trees but I don't think you can load a different spec. That would mean to me no one should be asking you to heal a lot if you are specced to be dps, just lfg and what not as dps =)

Duo'd everything with my Brother (inc Heroic 4 quests) with me as healer and him as tank (currently lvl 17). I have only run out of force a couple times, and usually because of poor preparation on boss fights (the 'whirlwind' ability that takes a mob out of combat for 60 seconds is awesome when duoing :). If you plan well, you shouldn't run out of force. Edited by MerekGalen

I also played a healing sorc to about lvl 20 over a beta weekend, I found that I could cc and heal without much force pool issue. I believe I had some items that helped increase my force pool and I would def. recommend the early points into the lightning tree since I plan to put 10 overall into it and you really don't get any (well I think you start with 1 once u decide on being a sorc)healing abilities until you progress a bit thru the sorc levels.

I have always played the healer, I love the role, and so far I have enjoyed playing my "healer sorc".. I always announce to the group that I will take main heals..

So far, we've done pretty well, and I'm having a blast.

Edited by Kasias

"I would rater make a healer than a sorcerer if I'm expected to heal all the time.

I don't mind minor support as sorcerer but spending all my ig time healing ... "

What does this mean, UrbanChili?

I play a sorceror AS a healer.

Yes, bodyguard BH and medic IA are also options, but, along with corruption SI, they are all healers.

Only major issue I have had so far are players that stand in persistent effects (ie: fire) or ignore instructions (kill adds means now, right away, not after the boss is dead).

GW 2 is moving away from the trinity since you can't heal other effectively. (most effective heal in GW 2 is self heal)

SWTOR however is still a game base on the holy trinity. Tank which generate threat to hold agro while the healers heals and the DPS mauling on the mobs.

In beta I started as full healer spec for warzones at lvl 22. I was largely unimpressed with the strength of my heals and soon re-specced Madness. I lost a bit of healing but made up substantially in the damage department. There is a great potential for multiple characters off-healing and contributing the DPS needed to succeed. Add this to the universal shield the Sorcerer gets and you get more leeway on healing required.

I wouldn't say a Sorcerer HAS to be the main healer but no matter the spec you can take some of the healing load when required.

There are some nice healing talents higher in the skill tree that will make the Sorcerer a strong main healer.

Can someone tell me if i can expect problems with a low force pool while healing ?

I will put the 5 points in the Lightning tree at begining, so i will have Reserves and Electric Induction asap...

Yes, this is the biggest challenge for Sorcs. Learn to manage your Force pool and keep it above 50% at all times if possible. The lower it goes...the slower it fills back up.