Imperial Agents going Light Side?

Malleable

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree, Some of the light side options are really interesting. Even the NPC's are surprised by some of your choices.

And to those that get upset in flashpoints or groups that want you to pick dark, let them know when they start paying your sub you will pick any choice they want.

Criminals and unrepentant terrorists tend to get a bullet in the head.

I'd also add "people who betrayed/played me, personally" to that list, but pretty much the same for me. Light choices in most encounters, only going Dark when I decide that someone just needs to die.

The problem is that the writers weren't very consistent. In most encounters the light side option will be of the "capture, not kill" variety, which is a philosophy that makes perfect sense for an Agent; don't throw away a good tool simply out of spite, or for the fun of the kill; that's what the Sith do. So if your Agent believes in making the Empire a stronger power, the Light option is often superior, and it's fun to rub that in the faces of the Sith.

But then you have a few where the Light option is to let someone who's sworn to destroy the Empire go free, rather than kill them. It's nearly the exact opposite of the previous situation; only a complete idiot would let their enemies walk away just out of a sense of niceness when it can only serve to make the Republic stronger. So going pure-Light or pure-Dark just doesn't make a whole lot of sense, given this disparity.

I went dark side, and let me tell you, if a Sith Warrior is evil, an IA can be bloody rotten!

I had moments where I was shocked I even had the options to do some really twisted stuff. And I enjoyed every one of them.

Same here. Like assaulting/shooting unarmed female NPCs. I thoroughly despised my sniper, and loved it.

Lightside all the way... and pretty sure I will be light on about any alt I create, no matter class. Not sure why but I have the hardest time going "dark" in just about any video game that has a moral meter.

I have literally multiple starts on KoToR where I tried to do a dark character... and I never finish them. Even my Mass Effect Characters the ones I try to do renegade on (which admittedly is not evil per se) I have a hard time finishing. I have restarted some games if I accidentally blew up an innocent person with an errant fireball.

Usually in the flash points I will get a "really?" or something like that when i invariably am the only one picking lightside choices. Or if I am with my group of friends playing a long it is usually "You would do that..." What can I say I am a dirty hippy lightsider.

I think I started RP'ing my agent in my own mind kind of like the The Operative in Serenity. You know the guy that believes in the system and wants to do whatever it takes to make the system work and be the dominant idea, even though fully knowing that once those core values are in place he would not have a place in the because of what he did to get them to succeed. He is prepared to make that sacrifice of himself to better everyone. But I realize that could lead to more darkside choices than light as well... so i just came up with a mix of trying to fix the system from the inside in the little ways he can and figure by letting some of these people live I can use them as tools later on (which kind of feels like a darkside thought.... *checks titles*.... still pure... good).

so in conclusion tl;dr: I am a dirty hippy lightsider for life.

Darkside might have cookies... but we have granola.... and women that don't shave their armpits..... so yeah... totally got that going for us. :o

my IA holds every sith in high regard, and will fulfill their wishes without question. he is respectful to his superiors and a leader through fear to his underlings. Every decision that gives the empire an advantage is taken without question. I do wish i was working for a certain Galactic Empire and not just the sith one tho!

my IA holds every sith in high regard, and will fulfill their wishes without question. he is respectful to his superiors and a leader through fear to his underlings. Every decision that gives the empire an advantage is taken without question. I do wish i was working for a certain Galactic Empire and not just the sith one tho!

Kaliyo must hate you. >.<

I am mostly light, with a smattering of Dark. My Sniper's philosophy is to support the Empire and the greater good and to hell with the Sith. He will dirty his hands when needed and tends to spare those he feels are worth sparing. Criminals and unrepentant terrorists tend to get a bullet in the head.

That sums up my experience and how I thought a light-side IA (with a brain) ought to act, too. This is my first experience with a role-playing computer game, so I'm wondering: Is it typical for the moral scheme to be so ridiculously simple-minded at times? Like some of you, I'm left scratching my head when choices that place basic foresight, prudence, and the lives of comrades and "countrymen" over those of murderous enemies are labelled "Dark Side." Even if you don't conflate "Light" and "good" it doesn't really make sense.

My light-side IA is a great character. From the start, I played him as a good, loyal agent. I always took every flirt option available to him. As such, he has done the nasty with about 6-8 women, married twice, kissed a few more. Apart from one choice at the end of Nar Shadaa (which made no sense. Light and dark options were the wrong way around), the LS story was fluid and fun. I particularly enjoy winning rolls against dark side friends. It's like a proper RPG, where one player who wins the roll can change the course of an adventure, brilliant that BW captured that.

Sadly, as a healer Op, Kaliyo makes a great companion, but she doesn't like good guys so I traded her for Temple (DPS, not tank) once available, who is the LS male agent love-interest and my agent's second wife. Temple (her character) is a little annoying in most ways but story-wise she is works well. For the sake of coolness, role playing and something to do at 50, I've decided to dress Lokin and Temple in entirely Imperial uniforms (Master Medic) and for Vector, I bought the Coll. Ed. vendor "Imperial Trooper" armour set. I love the idea of having a crew "in uniform" as it were.

I'm looking forward to losing the dark/light side shackles, in a Mass Effect type way. I hated having to choose some LS options just because that was only lightside choice. My future characters I won't be bothered by alignment and will go with the flow. Apart from a title, restricted relics and "exclusive" mounts, what is really missed out on? It's an MMO, everyone has access to everything everyone else does.

Act II did see me make a couple of dark choices but they paled in comparison to my light options. I won't go into spoiling detail, but a certain someone in Act III is also going to give me some darkside points once I exact my revenge.

My Sniper Kylania started very idealistic and although that was heavily shaken in act II, she still wants to make the empire a better place.

In my opinion you shouldn't limit yourself by saying "I'm only going light side" or "I'm only dark and evil". It's much more entertaining to analyze the situation and pay close attention to the story and come to your own conclusion.

I'm pretty much neutral but leaning a bit towards dark on my agent so far. I don't just mindlessly kill people but if someone threatens me or my mission they're going down. I am a staunch loyalist to the Empire and make sure my mission is completed.

Keep an open mind

<But then you have a few where the Light option is to let someone who's sworn to destroy the Empire go free, rather than kill them. It's nearly the exact opposite of the previous situation; only a complete idiot would let their enemies walk away just out of a sense of niceness when it can only serve to make the Republic stronger. So going pure-Light or pure-Dark just doesn't make a whole lot of sense, given this disparity.>

I'm ostensibly lightside but I can't bring myself to commit tactical absurdities for the points.

Also: my female agent is still ominous and murderous even at "full" lightside. She's occasional compassionate or sensible.

Bioware's writers are good but imposing hippie/villain dichotomies on everything is baby-think. With all the characters, I think motivation and roleplaying is a problem. Does my Sith Lord lust for power or is he a monster? Does my agent have some philosophical reason for hating the Republic?

I dont think it works like that. Even if you win the roll and picked a light side choice, they will still get their darkside points if they chose appropriately. All your rolling for is the cinematic in most cases (aside from choosing if someone lives or dies etc). I.e if you win the roll and say live you get light side points and the dude lives. But your teammates who all selected die but lost the roll still get darkside points. C/D?

It can also affect certain side missions that you do or don't do because of a choice.

It can also affect certain side missions that you do or don't do because of a choice.

At Light V myself, with a few evil choices thrown in. I killed Art and the gang and tubby worms deserve to be slaughtered at any opportunity.

Edited by Lukiduk

My light V operative basically lived to give the Sith the middle finger at every opportunity.

I'm just wrapping up Act I so only at about Light III, but my sniper basically does this, while insulting every imperial I can find along the way. The only dark side points I have are from Diplomacy missions where I didn't want more companion gifts while I was trying to make certain Biochem items. Ironically even though I get a lot of negative hits with Kaliyo, being a sarcastic insulting arsehole seems to counteract the negative from the light side options.

so in conclusion tl;dr: I am a dirty hippy lightsider for life.

I'll pretty much echo your entire post, but I laughed a lot at this line because that's exactly what my guild calls me every time they see me make a lightside choice in a conversation.

I'm currently Dark III and gaining but I do have around 1500 light points. I don't believe in killing everyone, some times it's better to capture people and torture them. Then there was the story on tatooine where the girl helps you, I couldn't kill her, I let her go. My agent believes in getting the job done, killing isn't always necessary. Edited by Ludstar