Questions about other MMOs

SolarSaenz

Does any other MMO have companions the same or somewhat close to the same way as SWTOR?

I tried Elder Scrolls Online (ESO). While do see people wandering around with what looks more like pets that help in combat than companions, I don't think there are any companions. sometimes an NPC will temporarily accompany you, but that's not really a companion.

I tried Final Fantasy 14(FF14). You get a chocobo companion. Again, that's more like a pet that helps in combat, not like a SWTOR companion.

Does any other MMO handle companions close to how SWTOR does? Or, do other MMOs just focus solely on the PC?

Does any other MMO have companions the same or somewhat close to the same way as SWTOR?

I tried Elder Scrolls Online (ESO). While do see people wandering around with what looks more like pets that help in combat than companions, I don't think there are any companions. sometimes an NPC will temporarily accompany you, but that's not really a companion.

I tried Final Fantasy 14(FF14). You get a chocobo companion. Again, that's more like a pet that helps in combat, not like a SWTOR companion.

Does any other MMO handle companions close to how SWTOR does? Or, do other MMOs just focus solely on the PC?

There are two games i can think of first is GW1 any of the games you buy come with an imp companion who is OP AF to lvl 19 after that and if you decide to ascend from pre searing you can fill your group up with a Trinity companions. i still love that game and a lot of people do still play it.

second game that has something similar to companions is EQ 1 on there main servers (non progression) and they are called mercs. the best mercs are called J5 or Journeyman 5 and you can take out quite a bit with them they are also OP but the difference in EQ 1 is you have a 15min timer where you need to pay platinum for them. so basically you are renting there services when they are active. but you can set them to passive where they wont charge you.

other than those two games i don't think there are others quite like swtor's companion system. but i hope this helps.

Neverwinter has companions that assist you in combat, level up by fighting with you, and can even be upgraded w/ upgrade slots (kind of like gear slots.) They each have unique specializations, such as DPS or heals, and have unique abilities, both passive and active.

They have a limited set of premade customization options, so you can't dress them up the same way you do in SWTOR. However, their beast companions also have premade customization sets, unlike beast companions in SWTOR.

Edited by ForfiniteStories

There are two games i can think of first is GW1 any of the games you buy come with an imp companion who is OP AF to lvl 19 after that and if you decide to ascend from pre searing you can fill your group up with a Trinity companions. i still love that game and a lot of people do still play it.

The Fire Imp isn't exactly a companion, though. He's a "summon", more like an undead minion. But yeah, OP as [REDACTED].

A closer GW1 equivalent to companions would be Henchmen and especially Heroes. Henchmen are NPCs you can hire to fill out your group when you leave town, and if you play solo, you can hire enough henchies to fill out a group with just you.

Heroes, on the other hand, are very much like companions. Most of the "earlier" ones (Koss, Melonie, Dunkoro, Ogden, Vekk,etc.) have their own stories that are told along with the player's story, and you must provide them with armour-improvement mods (not exactly SWTOR moddable gear mods, but instead, offering various special-effect bonuses) and you must keep their weapons up to date.

There are even "Mercenary Heroes" that are generic heroes derived from your max-level characters. These have configurable "personalities" which govern the sort of remarks they make in combat and the like.