The 45 Year and Older Professional Club

Master-Pappy

40, carer for my mum and freelance graphics artist (though not so much of late)

On Proginator, also mainly solo, though so far spoke to/met a lot of decent people on there. Any mature/casual/rp guilds there feel free to pm me here or grab me in game (Vi'conia)

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

66yrs .. I play SWTOR .. im a stay at home housewife who loves to play this game..keeps my brain in shape.. :)..My grandsons play also but not as much as i do because school and jobs take up their time.. Sometimes when my grandsons come over they ask me "What lvl are you mom".. :)

I'm 48 year old accountant and love my computer games. In high school we had an Apple 1a (I think that was it's designation). At that time, you programmed code for games published in a magazine. Three of four of us took turns at lunch and after school typing the code so we could play "make your own adventure" game. It took us bout 3 months. the funny thing is, we could never get past the first encounter. No matter what our decision, we all died. I think one of us must have punched in a wrong number. :o At that point I was pretty much hooked on computers. After college, got a Tandy 1, and later started putting together my own rigs. Now, I'm too old to be bothered with the details of the build. Let the youngsters take care of that for me. I just want to play my games in peace. I currently play on The Harbringer (sp?) Server.

So much dissing of the Generation X'ers. The ones who actually saw Star Wars in the summer of 1977 before it returned the following year with the add on Episode IV A New Hope. The ones who spent the rest of the 70's and a good portion of the 80's with tons of Star Wars merchandising and arcade themed games.

The millienials have their harry potter that probably won't have the shelf life Star Wars has had and will continue to have.

We've lived through Prog Rock , Synth Pop, Punk , Hardcore, New Wave, Ska, Reggae, Alt Rock. Our bands are the Clash while yours Coldplay.

No need to diss Gen X'ers especially in a Star Wars themed game. :rak_03:

Every once in a while it dawns on me that I am teaming with folks that weren't even born when I bought the socks I am wearing. I know this as I often team with my three sons. As a 47 year-old professional who leads a multi-million dollar project for a large corporation, I am sure that many of my co-workers would be shocked if they knew that when I get home I log on to SWTOR and pretend that I am a Master Jedi for 2-3 hours. Not that it bothers me. It keeps me young in mind and heart.

It got me to thinking, "How many others out there are like me?" I'm sure I'm not the oldest player out there. So, if you fall into the geriatric crowd within SWTOR, give a shout out with your age and profession. It will be cool to know who is out there.

I'm 45. Former Army, disabled combat vet, used to be a computer network engineer. Now I teach middle school science. My guild is filled with folks younger than me, but most of them are pretty mature.

I have tour shirts older than the vast majority of the player base. This is not a joke or exaggeration, I STILL have a tour Jersey for Megadeth from a little club from their 1983/84 tour. It's ragged, it's thread bare, dang near see through it's so thin now, and, no it doesn't fit anymore, but I still have it in a frame on my wall in my gaming room.

I predate home computers. I predate console systems. I predate CDROM games and CD's. I predate Cartridge games. I predate VHS. I dang near predate Cassettes and 8 Tracks. Most the people here won't know what an 8 track is since Wiki is down for the day, and definitely won't know why they sucked as a medium for music.

I per date 8 tracks lol .... I rember as a kid when the first 8 tracks players started coming out ... rock bands i rember as far as 1965 lol

I rember in high school palying a Deep purple album the 8 track players ate it ... I rember that well ....

Edited by tanktest

Every once in a while it dawns on me that I am teaming with folks that weren't even born when I bought the socks I am wearing. I know this as I often team with my three sons. As a 47 year-old professional who leads a multi-million dollar project for a large corporation, I am sure that many of my co-workers would be shocked if they knew that when I get home I log on to SWTOR and pretend that I am a Master Jedi for 2-3 hours. Not that it bothers me. It keeps me young in mind and heart.

It got me to thinking, "How many others out there are like me?" I'm sure I'm not the oldest player out there. So, if you fall into the geriatric crowd within SWTOR, give a shout out with your age and profession. It will be cool to know who is out there.

I work primarily with twenty-somethings. They would be surprised indeed to learn how much time I spend on SWTOR. My thirty year old daughter wanted to meet my husband and me for dinner a few Saturdays ago. I said sure, as long as I can get home before raid time. Her response was, "You raid??? OMG my mother is a raider!!"

SWTOR is my first MMO and I absolutely love it. I found a guild that caters to mature gamers on The Shadowlands. It's been a blast to run with others my age.

I am 54. I have a BS in mathematics and write math online.

47 self employed IT guy...Saw the original Star Wars opening night and then proceeded to see it over 50 more times. played kotor 1 & 2 SEVERAL times through was actually disappointed that TOR was going mmo so I avoided it until the collectors edition was a stupid cheap price and could resist the pull of the force no longer..still mostly play solo

I saw Star Wars the first time in a drive-in, I was nine and the movie had been out a week. Most of the clownshoes that work for me don't even know what a drive-in is.

:) that was the same for me. I was in the back of my dad's pickup truck sitting on a bean bag eating popcorn.

47 self employed IT guy...Saw the original Star Wars opening night and then proceeded to see it over 50 more times. played kotor 1 & 2 SEVERAL times through was actually disappointed that TOR was going mmo so I avoided it until the collectors edition was a stupid cheap price and could resist the pull of the force no longer..still mostly play solo

I felt exactly the same way, no way was I going to play an MMO! My son talked me into at least trying the game. I was so surprised at how much I enjoyed the social aspect of the game. It is incredible how much more fun the game has been for me when playing with others. I rarely do anything solo anymore.

Xay

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone

What a great thread. I am so glad to know there are other more seasoned players out there besides myself. I am 58, retired from a career in Public Utilities Operations Management; am a Father of six children with eight grandchildren.

If you can believe it, am the only one in my family who plays these type of games. Everyone else is too "mature" for it. Old grand pappy is still an adventurous kid at heart. An old Marine at that, so this type of game makes me feel right at home and reliving out a past in a virtual environment. Tons of fun, but a daunting game to learn at my age.

Being new to all this, would appreciate any advice and mentoring from any of you who are more experienced than I. Still trying to learn my way around the galaxy, you know?

Regards,

Dubiousdude

I just turned 50, wok in computer modeling/simulation and operations research. My wife is amazed at how much of a little kid is left in me that I enjoy playing SWTOR so much. Fortunately she lets me play within reason!

I currently have 4 characters, 3 on the Imperial side and one on Republic , but the last is really so I can get the HK piece. I have to say the stories are really rich for every toon I am currently playing (Sith assassin, Sith Marauder, Imperial Agent, and Jedi Knight).

I have tour shirts older than the vast majority of the player base. This is not a joke or exaggeration, I STILL have a tour Jersey for Megadeth from a little club from their 1983/84 tour. It's ragged, it's thread bare, dang near see through it's so thin now, and, no it doesn't fit anymore, but I still have it in a frame on my wall in my gaming room.

I predate home computers. I predate console systems. I predate CDROM games and CD's. I predate Cartridge games. I predate VHS. I dang near predate Cassettes and 8 Tracks. Most the people here won't know what an 8 track is since Wiki is down for the day, and definitely won't know why they sucked as a medium for music.

Had me worried there for a second.. but I can see you're a young punk when you mentioned predating 8 tracks...

Kids always braggin'... :p

So much dissing of the Generation X'ers. The ones who actually saw Star Wars in the summer of 1977 before it returned the following year with the add on Episode IV A New Hope. The ones who spent the rest of the 70's and a good portion of the 80's with tons of Star Wars merchandising and arcade themed games. ....

Chuckle don't understand the rage here...

Note we're the one's that paid for your tickets to the movie, bought the Star Wars toys for you....

And now ya'll dissin' us... silly genX.... :D