What are you currently reading?

Cyberwoman

I am lucky enough to be able to fly and not drive to our events. Man...if I had to drive from Texas to all of these events that would be painful.

PSA: Don't drive and read. :rak_03:

-eric

But it's ok to pilot and read? I think they'd take away your license for that...

Also: nope, not finished War and Peace yet. I'm terrible at reading books... terrible...

I'm currently re-reading my entire L.E. Modesitt, Jr collection. The "Recluse" series have always been one of my all time favorites but I've yet to read anything he's written that hasn't kept me awake for longer than I should be.

Also a huge fan of John Ringo and David Weber and am patiently waiting for their newest works to hit paperback since I can not afford to buy hardbacks the way I tear through books.

But it's ok to pilot and read? I think they'd take away your license for that...

Also: nope, not finished War and Peace yet. I'm terrible at reading books... terrible...

I just started Dominic Lieven's Russia Against Napoleon. Tolstoy was, obviously, a very good writer, but getting one's history from him is probably not the best idea. (Not that I'm suggesting that you're doing that. But a lot of people do.) Lieven's book is a shade too pop-y and almost entirely too nationalistically colored for me, but it does fill a need and certainly discusses the campaigns, especially 1812, in as much or more depth than David Chandler's magisterial The Campaigns of Napoleon.

huge fantasy fan here. I love Tolkien, David Gemmell <-- read just about everything he wrote... and i liked James Barclay before he ruined his series with that ravensoul beat a dead horse moneymaker , I even fell for his book elves. they walked with gods, which was terribad.

to answer your question :).... I just finished reading Raymond E Feist a darkness at sethanon, the last of the riftwar saga, and im blown away... I have over the last month just discovered this author (a colleague told me), and i am delighted to see that i am about 30 years behind in his works! so you can imagine.. i am quite happy... :D

Edited by falcon_Xtreme

As for the actual question, I started reading "The Name of the Wind" on my way to San Diego. I am probably about 2/3 through it and I am loving it. Really, really good fantasy series so far!

-eric

The name of the Wind is currently about 5 feet away from me on my bookshelf. sitting right next to it is... "the wise mans fear" :D I'm glad you are enjoying it. it was different, and really well done. i read it over a weekend as i just couldn't put it down. Patrick Rothfuss however is taking is sweet time with number three (2014 apparently).... so get as much as you can out of the two that are available.

IMHO the wise mans fear is a bit of rehash and does not offer to much more into plot advancement, but tends to give us more character development. they tend to blur and stall somewhat when you read one directly after the other... , my advice ( or 2 cents worth) would be take a readers break between the two and fall in love with it all over again.

Edited by falcon_Xtreme

I just finished reading The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. I was given this (And A Delicate Truth by John le Carré) after passing my Creative Writing module last week! (Yay! :i_biggrin:)

Anyway, The Ocean at the End of the Lane is an utterly beautiful book, I would recommend it to anyone, no matter what they think of fantasy. It just works on so many levels, he has such a wonderful mind . . .

Edited by Cyberwoman