SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

exca

Stop making ridiculous claims about your mess, and begin warning people of possible issues, and people will quit calling you an amateur -- which you clearly are. You cant hide your lack of coding skills, or experience, as it is on display in the code.

Look, your little ram file program can help some people. I admit. I have also stated there is nothing malicious in the program. It isnt well written, but it certaintly isnt malicious. It can cause issues, as some have noted including SWTOR support.

Your arrogance is quite annoying. Your program, and your posts should always carry the disclaimer:

"SWTOR support does NOT recommend the use of this program . Please use at your own risk."

If you want people to think you are a pro, then act accordingly. Be responsible.

1- You don't have the original source code of SWTOR Unleashed, unless you stole it from me. Did you? :)

2- Your posts should always carry this disclaimer: "I am a troll, ignore my posts."

3- You talk about issues, but the truth is, no one following the guidelines ever had any issue with it. Only people not reading the manual.... You know what we say... RTFM.

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I didn't use Unleased, I know how to create symbolic links in Windows to files elsewhere. :) I suspect your program is very helpful to those who aren't technical in nature.

2. I read enough to understand the idea.

3. Because that doesn't accomplish anything for me.

4. Timing the load screens. Everything else is plenty fast. Loading times are the only thing I wait for.

For what it is worth, putting most of the game into very fast RAM did improve loading times, by 10-20%, but that isn't enough to be worth the RAM or trouble.

So if it isn't to improve loading time, then what is the point?

1- Since you didn't use Unleashed, please don't talk like if you diid since it can mislead people. Even if you know how to do it manually... Though I doubt you did it all without unleashed since no script was released that added nearly all the assets... You had a lot of courage if you made it all by hand. Hats.

2- Well, hello, you didn't

3- Of course since you didn't understand what you supposedly did

4- That's irrelevant since it's not made at all to speed up loading times as stated in the original post which.... you didn't read... of course.

If you want to understand what it's for.... why not giving a try at reading the original post? The 10 first line should do the trick... You didn't read that much in the end.

As I said to Klarick,... yet another example of someone not understanding what he does and what results can be expected....

I said it dozen of times.... I'll say it again : SWTOR Unleashed reduces FPS drops! (and sometimes raise your max fps and/or allow you to use at the same speed higher resolution textures depending on your computer)

Edited by exca

That, and it is worth having a disclaimer as well that the program can only help so much, you're still limited by your CPU and GPU power, the game won't run any faster than those allow.

Game resolution also matters, someone playing at 720p or 1080p requires something different to someone playing on three screens at 1600p (which is what I do).

16 man ops are as fluid as can be, there is no slowdown.

Which kind of user would benefit from such a disclaimer?

Lazy ones? Then I'll be lazy and won't add it.

Beginners in computing? I seriously think those shouldn't bother themselves with advanced tools.

Lol No. No fight here. However, I do feel a need to keep this kid and his code "in check". He presents a lot of false information. I can tell you that I have at least made som progress with him. He did finally edit the OP with:

"SWTOR Unleashed can make your SWTOR launcher throw an error and offer to repair the game while updating the game. Don't click on it!. This limit has an easy walkthrough : quit SWTOR launcher and restart SWTOR Unleashed in Retail mode. then, once the update is complete, quit SWTOR launcher and relaunch SWTOR Unleashed in Unleashed mode."

So, at least some good has come out of my diligence. Now, if I can just get him to place a disclaimer in his sig block, then I would leave him alone.

Lol, this sentence is probably 1 year old at least. And you just read it? You are a joke.

You have a magical solution for this mini problem which happen every time the game updates? Tell us :)

I present false information? Tell us :) Prove your sayings.

This will be funny :)

Edited by exca

Likewise, no need to fight, the idea is a good one...

An easy to use program that allows the novice user to load parts of the game into RAM for more performance.

The trick is to make sure that you first do no harm, then to advice users of any risks, and to also provide them with information on what else they can do to improve performance.

The thing is SWTOR Unleashed causes no harm. It's just a rumor from Klarick :)

But as I said, if anyone wants to do better, feel free. Who would spend hundred of hours for the others for free when you end up being spit on by people unhappy in their lifes with nothing better to do than trolling you for free? I did. I'm proud of my work and I seriously think some people should get a life.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care much about Klarick, I received so many thanks from hundreds of people, I perfectly know how well I did.

Edited by exca

I have an issue on 1080p with the save and close button not being able to be shown (it's because I'm on my 60" big screen for HTPC so DPI Scaling is at 120%~).

I tried disabling DPI scaling with the flag in program shortcut but that didn't work, eventually I figured out if you moved the task bar from the bottom of the screen to the left and back you could see the buttons.

This allowed me to save and enter the game which produced horrible FPS in comparison to the normal 100 FPS I was getting in areas. I unchecked the DPI Scaling flag and all back to normal plus a little bit faster of load times.

I've got RAID 0 SSD so I didn't expect too much of a gain but it has helped in some areas with the random drops (100 FPS then down to 60-70 FPS then back up).

I would recommend making the program sizable or movable even with the settings dropped down by grabbing anywhere in the program.

My only other recommendation would be more preset buttons for the areas. Some things are probably not obvious to computer savvy people.

Overall thank you! I've recommended this to everyone and it's helped everyone so far!

I would recommend making the program sizable or movable even with the settings dropped down by grabbing anywhere in the program.

My only other recommendation would be more preset buttons for the areas. Some things are probably not obvious to computer savvy people.

Overall thank you! I've recommended this to everyone and it's helped everyone so far!

1- You can actually move the settings window by left clicking in its background, holding the left button and moving. Is that enough for your need? PS : You can also drag and drop the main window the same way when no subwindow is opened.

2- The thing is, unless some people take the time to actually measure the benefits of individual assets, it can't be said. Looking at people tryouts, I would say that surprisingly maybe, it's faster to put only DiskArena+LocalApp+FX+Dynamics+100Mb than puting more assets in the ramdrive. By the way I pay about 5min a month actually, so I'm not that much into heavy changes to the code.

3- Thanks, happy it helped you even with a RAID 0 SSD :)

Edited by exca

You lack knowledge. A SSD is a lot slower than RAM. So your statement is wrong. So you are wrong.

When it comes to real time exchanges needed to display frames, every bottleneck removal matters.

Facts.

Yes, a SSD is many times slower than RAM... but this doesn't mean it impacts performance of the game all that much.

Since I've loaded the game into RAM and since I have one of the best SSDs on the market, I can say the difference between the two is very minor indeed...

1- Since you didn't use Unleashed, please don't talk like if you diid since it can mislead people. Even if you know how to do it manually... Though I doubt you did it all without unleashed since no script was released that added nearly all the assets... You had a lot of courage if you made it all by hand. Hats.

I would imagine you must know what a symbolic link in Windows is.

I simply did manually what you are doing for the user, I created a 24GB RAM drive and moved 23GB of the game's files there and crated symbolic links to the files.

The game had no idea it was loading from RAM, that is the beauty of it.

4- That's irrelevant since it's not made at all to speed up loading times as stated in the original post which.... you didn't read... of course.

Then the program serves no purpose for me, since the rest of the game is very fast. The only thing I am waiting for is loading screens.

As for the rest of the game, I suspect that most users would be well served by simply replacing their boot drive with a SSD and making sure that SWTOR is running from that.

A SSD is not as fast as RAM, but it is good enough. It sure beats the pants off a HDD.

It isn't transfer rate that makes the difference, it is seek time and IOPS that makes the difference, and the improvement there is 3 or more orders of magnitude over a HDD.

I said it dozen of times.... I'll say it again : SWTOR Unleashed reduces FPS drops! (and sometimes raise your max fps and/or allow you to use at the same speed higher resolution textures depending on your computer)

That sounds nice... but you are missing a few key points in saying that you need a better disclaimer, since your program can't make the rest of the computer faster. What it can do is reduce the need to draw from mass storage, but it can't make your graphics card faster.

If you're running on Intel Graphics, then your experience is going to be pretty lousy, no matter what you do.

So to the average user reading this, do a Google Search for "windows symbolic link" and read up on that, or just use the program provided here if you wish, they are doing the same basic thing.

Better yet, get a SSD and a better video card. :)

The thing is SWTOR Unleashed causes no harm. It's just a rumor from Klarick :)

But as I said, if anyone wants to do better, feel free. Who would spend hundred of hours for the others for free when you end up being spit on by people unhappy in their lifes with nothing better to do than trolling you for free? I did. I'm proud of my work and I seriously think some people should get a life.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care much about Klarick, I received so many thanks from hundreds of people, I perfectly know how well I did.

Why would you spend hundreds of hours on this?

A program to do this should take about 30 minutes to write and another hour or two to test, at least for a few machines that you should have sitting around for testing. The fun part is taking bug reports and trying to figure out why it doesn't work on X or Y computer and it works fine on all of yours. :)

Yes, a SSD is many times slower than RAM... but this doesn't mean it impacts performance of the game all that much.

Since I've loaded the game into RAM and since I have one of the best SSDs on the market, I can say the difference between the two is very minor indeed...

You just don't know it. It depends on each person computer. You make big assumptions. Face it. A lot of people reported nice improvements.

@Heat-Wave

Well too bad you didn't take the time to think or read before manually doing dozens of links manually for nothing.

I suggest you to try thinking again about our reasonings. I will help you :

- I say : hey dude, you have some ram and want a faster game for free? Try SWTOR Unleashed.

- You say : hey dude, you want a faster game? Go buy yourself another computer, ssd or whatever.

Do you see the problem? You just state an obvious truth : buying a faster computer is speeding up softwares.... How does that help anyone to maximize the use of ANY computer? It just doesn't. Don't think it's smart to know that, since anyone does know that. It's why it's useless to state it and out of subject regarding this entire thread.

If you want to make usefull comments, try to find ways to improve the game speed WITHOUT any hardware change.

I don't need to put any obvious/useless disclaimer for people who don't read the original post since they won't read any disclaimer either and since they are the only disrespectful ones to whine about free food. Most people read what is written, download, use and just play happily.

Why would you spend hundreds of hours on this?

A program to do this should take about 30 minutes to write and another hour or two to test, at least for a few machines that you should have sitting around for testing. The fun part is taking bug reports and trying to figure out why it doesn't work on X or Y computer and it works fine on all of yours. :)

Ah ah ah, you're funny.

Fine, if it's that quick to do, why don't you try to do it, without copying my work?

I give you 5 days which should be more than enough to prove your sayings.

We'll all be happy to see the result of your work.

But there's a problem.... the same Klarick probably faced.... the truth is it takes dozen of hours to do at least (unless you hardcode it all and it doesn't work with new files). I gave Klarick quite some time... and as of today there is just no result....

I'm quite doubtful you will ever produce anything working. Feel free to prove me wrong. Feel free to spend your lifetime for others. Show me how slow I was spending that much time.

I am watching eyes wide open :)

And don't forget to make it evolving automatically with new versions of the game. And to be able to select what files you want or not. Andif you want to go one step further, to be "game's updates" proof. Also try to use another ramdrive than the one we used (since just in itself it took quite some time to POC and compare to other products).

1- You can actually move the settings window by left clicking in its background, holding the left button and moving. Is that enough for your need? PS : You can also drag and drop the main window the same way when no subwindow is opened.

2- The thing is, unless some people take the time to actually measure the benefits of individual assets, it can't be said. Looking at people tryouts, I would say that surprisingly maybe, it's faster to put only DiskArena+LocalApp+FX+Dynamics+100Mb than puting more assets in the ramdrive. By the way I pay about 5min a month actually, so I'm not that much into heavy changes to the code.

3- Thanks, happy it helped you even with a RAID 0 SSD :)

When you're in the settings menu the rest of the program becomes immune to being clicked except for the attributes (that was my first instinct and attempt).

I actually took a screenshot of each setting on load into each zone doing before and after of what my settings are now. I understand I wouldn't want to invest more than that in a free utility.

I own an IT Consulting company so I've got a lot of experience in this field, especially in dealing with symbolic links in server environments. The fact of the matter is the program runs fine, every time. I've yet to curse the program (minus the DPI scaling issue but that's niche thing I'm sure).

Well done! As far as anyone else doing it, it's free. Go for it, competition only improves things...except for anti-virus.

You just don't know it. It depends on each person computer. You make big assumptions. Face it. A lot of people reported nice improvements.

Congrats for missing the point...

You claim that RAM is much faster than an SSD. I said, "yep, you're right, it is, but it doesn't matter much for this application."

Yes, the performance will improve if the files are moved from a HDD to RAM, the HDD has enough latency attached to it that any hit to it can bring even the fastest computer to a crawl.

A SSD closes the gap enough to make the difference very minor indeed.

------

Your first post claims a speed improvement, even on SSDs. I'm saying that it would be a rare case that it would be true. Sure, there are crappy SSDs out there, sure there are people with mismatched hardware...

But in most cases, someone who has a SSD should also have a decent computer and a decent amount of RAM. Loading the game from RAM instead of a SSD won't show a major improvement, most of the time...

I don't need to put any obvious/useless disclaimer for people who don't read the original post since they won't read any disclaimer either and since they are the only disrespectful ones to whine about free food. Most people read what is written, download, use and just play happily.

At the end of the day, you're welcome to think anything you want...

You have to live with that crappy attitude, I don't... :) You won't get far in life with the way you approach people, you are crass, rude, insulting, and generally not very nice to people...

I used to use this, but I only have 4 gigs of DDR2 Ram and can't make much use of it. If I could someone just apply it to what I have trouble loading in Operations, that would be great. For instance, DP 1st boss, sometimes adds don't appear for a good 30 seconds. 3rd boss, takes me awhile to load after coming out of the portals which can wipe us if the red circle is on me. Also, world bosses or commanders often bug out on me when there's a lot of players around, Had a commander and my UI said he was almost 5000 meters away. I could assist someone to target him, but not attack. I have to run away and come back.

If I could somehow load those specific mobs, that could help me out.

Congrats for missing the point...

You claim that RAM is much faster than an SSD. I said, "yep, you're right, it is, but it doesn't matter much for this application."

Yes, the performance will improve if the files are moved from a HDD to RAM, the HDD has enough latency attached to it that any hit to it can bring even the fastest computer to a crawl.

A SSD closes the gap enough to make the difference very minor indeed.

------

Your first post claims a speed improvement, even on SSDs. I'm saying that it would be a rare case that it would be true. Sure, there are crappy SSDs out there, sure there are people with mismatched hardware...

But in most cases, someone who has a SSD should also have a decent computer and a decent amount of RAM. Loading the game from RAM instead of a SSD won't show a major improvement, most of the time...

It made a difference in my load times and FPS drops in certain areas. I don't consider my self to have a slow rig at all (especially having two SSD in RAID 0). In the end you're skipping an entire controller in the stream of the game to the GPUs and that's what can make the difference.

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/8451/11e68f.jpg

At the end of the day, you're welcome to think anything you want...

You have to live with that crappy attitude, I don't... :) You won't get far in life with the way you approach people, you are crass, rude, insulting, and generally not very nice to people...

You are right. I am that bad. I roll for the empire! Hand up and surrender!

PS : Even if you skipped replying to it, we'll all be happy to see your software by next wesnesday.

I used to use this, but I only have 4 gigs of DDR2 Ram and can't make much use of it. If I could someone just apply it to what I have trouble loading in Operations, that would be great. For instance, DP 1st boss, sometimes adds don't appear for a good 30 seconds. 3rd boss, takes me awhile to load after coming out of the portals which can wipe us if the red circle is on me. Also, world bosses or commanders often bug out on me when there's a lot of players around, Had a commander and my UI said he was almost 5000 meters away. I could assist someone to target him, but not attack. I have to run away and come back.

If I could somehow load those specific mobs, that could help me out.

Unfortunately, it's not possible with SWTOR Unleashed, and probably not possible at all unless there is a specific file for this character (which is not the case). Dynamics files contains bodies of players and NPCs. But you would need more RAM than 4Gb to load them.... I'm afraid there's no "magic" to be done in this specific case.

It made a difference in my load times and FPS drops in certain areas. I don't consider my self to have a slow rig at all (especially having two SSD in RAID 0). In the end you're skipping an entire controller in the stream of the game to the GPUs and that's what can make the difference.

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/8451/11e68f.jpg

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Unfortunately, it's not possible with SWTOR Unleashed, and probably not possible at all unless there is a specific file for this character (which is not the case). Dynamics files contains bodies of players and NPCs. But you would need more RAM than 4Gb to load them.... I'm afraid there's no "magic" to be done in this specific case.

Yea, cheapest fix for me may be SSD. 4 sticks of 2gb DDR2 ram would cost more and be a waste.

Yea, cheapest fix for me may be SSD. 4 sticks of 2gb DDR2 ram would cost more and be a waste.

Realistically you need more than 4GB to be gaming in the first place honestly. You've got the overhead of windows and most services that'll take an easy 512-1024 MB of ram then you add in the game which can run 1.5GB+ and you can see why it quickly adds up.

The single best upgrade in any machine that is on a mechanical hard drive still is a SSD. It'll not only improve game loading times but also the rest of the computer experience overall.