Make Biometric Crystal Alloy Not BoP

Mikeydecoy

BoP was a failed idea that began back in EQ1 to force people into doing the content. Unfortunately, no MMO designer has been innovative enough to try to break that specific mold yet. We can hope. Moddable gear is certainly a step in that direction.

I thought BoP started with WoW, and then in later expansions EQ1 adopted it? One of the things I liked about EQ was there basically were no restrictions on what you could use if you had the ability/money to get it. I was primarily a crafter. Don't think I ever got above lvl 20... but had some of the best gear in the game.

Hmm, now that I think about it, maybe I'm thinking Bind on Equip....

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought BoP started with WoW, and then in later expansions EQ1 adopted it? One of the things I liked about EQ was there basically were no restrictions on what you could use if you had the ability/money to get it. I was primarily a crafter. Don't think I ever got above lvl 20... but had some of the best gear in the game.

Pretty sure EQ had it before RoK even, or at least around that time. Due to people twinking their alts with stuff from the Plane of Fear. Possibly even sooner for things like J-boots?

Edited by Battilea

Pretty sure EQ had it before RoK even, or at least around that time. Due to people twinking their alts with stuff from the Plane of Fear. Possibly even sooner for things like J-boots?

It was mostly the Jboot twinkers that started it and FBSS PGT etc.

*edit*

If I remember right they were called "lore items"

Edited by Zekeiele

*edit*

We had a few items on SWG that were no trade at the beginning but they started slowing removing those restrictions on the items even the TCG card game loot items were eventually able to be traded.

*edit*

"Lore" meant you could only have 1 of 'em in inventory at a time.

I do remember quest parts being No Drop, but I don't remember the actual rewards (or equipment mob drops) being No Drop.

'Course, I stopped playing around PoP, (though reading a bit, some of the features of the Legacy of Ykesha expansion seem vaguely familiar) which apparently was ~2 years before WoW. For some reason I could have *sworn* that my time playing EQ overlapped the release of WoW... (I could have also sworn I played it for longer than 3 years...)

I played EQ1 when they began introducing BoP, BoE and level scaling gear. The level scaling gear felt very weird at the time.

I've always thought that BoP gear was harsh to the player - I earned the gear, why can't I at least send it to an alt when my main is finished with it? WoW's BoA gear was a step in the right direction there, but I'd just rather there not be BoP gear at all and let it all flow through the player market.

Yes, I actually do believe that if a raider wants to sell the gear he won in last nights raid to a stranger on the market, he should be allowed to. The ability to this would do a great deal for limiting elitist mentalities across the board.

Speaking of selling gear, I remember my raiding guild in EQ1 having rules specifically addressing that. I don't think we ever had to do it, but I do remember some guilds kicking members that sold their raid loot instead of using it.

"Lore" meant you could only have 1 of 'em in inventory at a time.

I do remember quest parts being No Drop, but I don't remember the actual rewards (or equipment mob drops) being No Drop.

'Course, I stopped playing around PoP, (though reading a bit, some of the features of the Legacy of Ykesha expansion seem vaguely familiar) which apparently was ~2 years before WoW. For some reason I could have *sworn* that my time playing EQ overlapped the release of WoW... (I could have also sworn I played it for longer than 3 years...)

A lot of higher end PoP gear was "BoP", though I forget exactly what term they used for that - maybe it was just a NO DROP flag. Been too many years now.

In hindsight, if all gear was still BoE - I don't think we would need point (commendation) systems to ensure we get the drops that we need to progress. We could buy/trade/sell - emphasis on "trade", to get what we need. It's very difficult to rationalize why I cannot give my old piece of gear to my friend's character when he is standing there - not 5 feet from my character. Very difficult.

I just read up to the carebear thing. Whom are you calling a carebear? your the one wanting stuff made easier for you. Seems to me you might be the carebear here.

Then add a rating achievement requirement.

I was bored out of my mind just trying out Eternity Vault hard mode last night.

Fact: High end PvP is more difficult than any PvE. Period. If you disagree, you aren't good enough to face highly-rated opponents, yet you can PvE--So you make my point.

The game doesn't have rated PvP yet, so give us the mat through farm or whatever else. There's no reason to require me to do this horribly boring PvE with the newb carebears to get a mat for PvP.

I don't have a problem doing MORE challenging content for the mat. I just want access to the mat.

Fact: High end PvP is more difficult than any PvE. Period. If you disagree, you aren't good enough to face highly-rated opponents, yet you can PvE--So you make my point.

Maybe in this game. It's trivially easy to design/implement PvE that is far more difficult than any PvP could possibly be. Heck, badly designed PvE trends towards the completely unwinnable. PvP is never that difficult.

Since 99% of the PVPers only want the stupid *********** thing for grenades or stims maybe Bio can make a PVP version of them that only works in the zones/Ilum and doesn't need the PVE garbage.

Sure I'll eventually get my guild to slog our PVP hybrid builds and PVP equiped group to stumble through something we suck at and dont care to learn...doesn't mean it's not ********.

Edited by Zekeiele

<----- another one just hitting 400 and realizing that I need to Group-PVE-farm just to use the profession properly. Terrible crafting design. Really. I don't mind it being hard to obtain, but forcing people into groups for a CHANCE is just fubar.

I guess this just adds to the "reason to unsub"-pile growing in the corner. Meh.

Agree.

I got excited about crafting for the first time in an mmo due to Crew skills - I have not done that before as I'm a pvper. Now I hit 400 and cannot do anything without (imo only) lame repetitious pve for drops. Sorry I pay as much as anyone else and bring PvP play to this game, give us an alternative to obtain these items, even availability to sell. It would seem devs play no other games nor have experience enough to know this bind on these items makes crafting defunct for pvpers..or...sniffle..maybe we're not wanted.

I'm with the OP. Some people don't LIKE to do PVE. Can I? Yes, but with the ridiculously long FP's in this game I'm not the slightest bit interested. And I shouldn't be gimped in PVP because other's there play PVE and get stuff not available to PVP.

If you can't get the PVE mats from PVP, give us a similar/equivalent version from PVP. Say... Battlemaster Might Stim?

Edit: Idea, let the BCA mat be a rare drop from BM Bags? That makes it still not "easy mode" to pick up but gives PVPers a shot at getting it as well as PVEers.

You don't like to do PVE but you like PVE rewards. lololool. Funny how that works!

Agree.

I got excited about crafting for the first time in an mmo due to Crew skills - I have not done that before as I'm a pvper. Now I hit 400 and cannot do anything without (imo only) lame repetitious pve for drops. Sorry I pay as much as anyone else and bring PvP play to this game, give us an alternative to obtain these items, even availability to sell. It would seem devs play no other games nor have experience enough to know this bind on these items makes crafting defunct for pvpers..or...sniffle..maybe we're not wanted.

You pay as much as everyone else and you have the same chance and opportunity as everyone else does to go get the PVE drops that you want.

They are PVE rewards. Freakin' deal with it and stop asking for free stuff, which nerfs the game for others.

The Biometric Crystal is not just something BioChemists need. I know that even cybernectics need it as well as Synweaving.

I am going to guess the other two do as well. There is no harm in making those crystals and those items BOE instead of BOP.

There are people who dont have the time due to r/l responsibllities to run those operations not to mention some will not group with PUG because of some of the people in those groups.

A friend will not group with people she doesn't know because of the constant yelling and screaming at someone. Since when is that fun for someone to become part of a group like that, it's not.

BOE will also make the market more stable. Sure you will say everyone will want to sell them for an high amount but that is not true. If only one person is selling the crystals or the items then yes it will be high but when you get more people able to craft thins like the Rakata stuff and they are more abundant on the market the price will reflect that.

That will give people a real reason to craft and sell things. Sure you may not like to craft so do the operation and get the crystals and if you don't need them then sell them to someone who does.

There are some that love to craft and they would like the opportunity just to make things. It doesn't harm anyone if things on BOE instead of BOP.

Just like the vehicles in cybernectics, why have those BOP doesn't make sense. I know the cybernectics would like the opportunity to make those and sell them.

It can be a win/win situation for everyone involved. For the pvp and pve players they get what they want and for the crafters they can just enjoy crafting.

This game should be fun for everyone, pvp players, pve players, rp players, and crafters. It is made up of different people.

Note Off topic: It would also be nice if they could add color palettes for armor instead of making everything one color. (my opinion)

Want me to explain why making them BoE will negatively impact me as a PVEer?

1) Right now if you want the item you have to run the instance yourself. That means there are more people running instances, which means more groups running them and thus, makes it easier to fill groups--as opposed to sitting around trying to fill groups.

If they are made tradeable, the people that would rather buy them will just buy them and there will be less people running the flashpoints, which for me is a bad thing.

2) If they are made tradeable, people who don't actually need them will start rolling on them just so they can sell them. That makes it less likely that I will get them each time I run a Hard Mode instance.

It DOES harm me if they are tradeable. Fact.

Edited by Ka-tel

Blah, blah, blah...

Every whine, complaint, cry - I see in every mmo is always from PvPers. If you don't want to PvE than do without PvE drops, including items crafted from.

Put it this way, if all you do is PvP, than you should/must be very good at it. Than you shouldn't have any need for items/crafted items, with intention of PvE usage.

Have a good day, stop your PvP cry babying.

No it's not even close to valid. Sorry, but that analogy is still a complete failure. And please show me verbatim, where I stated I don't want to so I shouldn't have to. And after you fail to do so, please note that you need to stop putting words in my mouth. If I feel like saying something, I'll do so, please and thank you.

What I DID say was that people should not be forced into something they don't want to do. And there are quite a few reasons why a person may not want to. Outside of the arbitrary dislike of FPs/Ops/HMs, there's also the driving issue that some people may simply not have the gear to pull their weight in a HM/Op. And gaspity-gasp some people know that, and do not want to put themselves in a position where people can potentially berate them for not doing their share of the teamwork involved. Alternatively, it can be because a person simply doesn't want to fail their team. Do some checking..ask around how many real, dedicated healers are impacted when they let a member of their team die. That's the very selfsame concept I'm attempting to describe to you now.

In summary, yes, quite a definite rebuttal, and no words in my mouth please,

See there you go again...making wild asusmptions. In that one quote you use the word "crit" 4 times...crit crafted this, crift crafted that, crit crit crit crit. Who said anything about crit crafted anything? I surely didn't. Are you attempting to put words in my mouth again? Entry level gear is things like oh I dunno, the Armstech blaster pistol called "Gamble" or "Two-Fingers Revenge". Are you realling going to tell me those are better than what you get from tokens/commendations as a result of doing HMs/Ops? Mind you, we're talking non-crit, just so you don't get confused.

Well for every person who has "all they need" there's a equal amount who have tried and lost the roll as well. Doesn't mean squat. Moving on, those people who don't have the gear to pull their weight in HMs/Ops could at least BUY the BCAs instead of having to resort to being carried, which many will obviously refuse to do.

WoW mentality..you seriously don't know? Seriously? /facepalm. It's the obsession with "best in slot" for everything. And it's beyond those people who min/max...there's nothing wrong with that in my opinion..but when you obsess over min/maxing to a point you surpass it...well...I saw that kind of mentality in largest degree in WoW.

Sounds good..but so do politicians. Having been in Rift since beta, then I'm going to assume you came into Rift late. Insofar as crafted gear goes, literally everything a rogue would wear required one, including a bow/gun if you chose to use one. When I left Rift, my primary character was a Marksman/Saboteur/Ranger, and quite literally every article I wore required them in order to craft the high end pieces.

Oh I have, you just evade, dodge and duck better than Atom. Sticking your head in the sand to the reality of the situation won't make it go away. As I said before, the BCAs need to be changed from BoP to BoE. Doing so would give alot of people the chance to actually step up and become part of that segment of the community doing HMs/Ops.

That is of course, unless you are of the mind that you don't want more people doing HMs/Ops....

I don't know why you people are SO hung up on gear! If you play your character correctly you should be doing Heroics and regular quests that sometimes give out orange, moddable gear. Then if you are doing questing you'll more than likely end up with just enough commendations and credits to mod out all the orange gear so that you CAN handle a HM. It's actually stair stepped for those who need it to be. Do NM lvl 50 FPs and you'll get purple tier 1 gear. Not necessarily Tionese but energized gear or base purple tier 1's that are more than sufficient for HMs IF you need to be over geared for a HM. The extra creds you'll get on Corellia and Ilum quests will more than pay for purple lvl 49 mods which will suffice until you can obtain the daily armor mods and hilts/barrels from Ilum. Then the most important part...and I'm guessing you lack in this department as you are complaining about needing gear to survive, is SKILL! Be pro. Man up. Get in there and make mistakes. Do Nm to learn the fights then do HMs when you are comfortable. There is NO excuse for "I acn't do it without gear so I need my BoEs cuz I'm FAIL!" If you get into a group that does berate you for making a mistake its a fail group to begin with. People make mistakes and pros learn and move on. Find a group of people to run with and start a static group to obtain the Biometric Alloys ya need. It's not difficult. The orange items people keep talking about that are lvl 400 skill and only lvl 48...do you people NOT realize these are more for the designs like the saber shells themselves? My purple saber I got from a HM is better only by the innate hilt attached to it. My orange saber I love the design odf and has better stats with my crafted purple 49 and daily 50 mods, but my base damage for the saber is less due to the hilt that isn't extractable. But the sabers are BOE so I can make one for an upcoming alt or for others in my guild who prefer a certain saber style that can only be crafted. Those sabers aren't locked to those mods you make it with either. You can fully upgrade them. So saying they are useless is just pure laziness and your BOP/BOE argument invalidates itself here. The only thing about em special is the shell. The mods are what will make it shine. Same with ALL orange gear. and with the new crit crafted oranges we'll be able to make it only increases the desirability and functionality of such undergeared players as yourself.When you stop compaining about being under geared as an excuse not to do HMs you'll find you go a lot further in this game.You limit yourself only!

You are basically saying you need the BCA's BOE because you can't get pro enough to get a decent group or are afraid of utter failure. If you still fail after being all purple mods at 50 in full set of orange gear and weapon upgraded to level then you should seriously just give up. No amount of gear will help you. You should go back to Nintendo and put in the infinite lives cheat code and save the Princess from Khoopa King.

Agree.

Well then...I want BattleMaster bags for PvE content as quest rewards. Even trade. You want a PvE item...I want the BattleMaster set. Problem is that is I want the BM set I'll queue up for PvP where you come here to complain you want PvE items for PvP points. 2+2 does not equal 10. You have to do PvE content to get PvE rewards and vice versa...deal with it or go home.

I'm not looking to hear if any diehard carebear tells me that my idea is bad for x reason, because it doesn't pertain to you and you should have no say in it. I'm also not looking to hear "TOR is a story driven PvE game with a PvP minigame" because I don't care and it doesn't matter how you play the game, it matters at least in the business sense that Bioware can accommodate the 2 biggest customers who the game is advertised for, PvEers and PvPers.

There is no reason to limit it to PvE because frankly you should realize not everyone wants to PvE. And don't tell me that whether you agree it should be more available I should do it anyway. I'm not sinking time without a guarantee of getting one, having to form a group and run through the instance in PvP gear and a PvP spec.

Luv it how PvPers got the nerve to call PvE'ers carebears when everytime i come on forums i see them complaining how every other class they don't play are OP and their class they play don't do enough dps, I belive the Sage's/sorc's are going to have a big Nerf in an upcoming patch because of PvP which will no doubt screw over the PvE'ers. If anything between the PvPer's and the PvE'ers that the ones who shall be called carebears is PvPer's since you guys have been the most cared after

Back to your topic the alloy's are really simple to get, it's a PVE needed for PVE items so naturally you need to do pve for them, sinnce you pvpers can get columi and rakata quality items way way easier then us PvE'ers doing some simple flashpoints shouldn't be a problem for ya. This is a PvE game so natually if you want something it's more then likely you need to do some PvE to earn it, i'm sorry you feel differently but that's more then likely due to Blizzard Coddling you pvper's ggiving into everything you wanted over in WoW

Use the 48 reusables and deal with it if another guy has the rakata version then he did something to get it that you aren't willing to do. I would like to have rakata gear without having to run ops but not happening. I would like to have BM gear without having to pvp but not happening. And if you can't stomach 45 minutes in hard mode black talon to get one of these I have no sympathy for you. They are not hard to get. I just hope you are on a pvp server because if you are the only guy running without rakata reusables then you are doing something wrong because everyone else can figure it out. Seriously if you cannot hack it in pvp with the 48 reusables then the rakata ones aren't going to help L2P or find another pvp environment because there is no invincible stim or 1 shot adrenal.

God I am so tired of all the pvp whining about wanting everything easier.

Reposted for Easy Reading

Use the 48 reusables and deal with it if another guy has the rakata version then he did something to get it that you aren't willing to do. I would like to have rakata gear without having to run ops but not happening. I would like to have BM gear without having to pvp but not happening. And if you can't stomach 45 minutes in hard mode black talon to get one of these I have no sympathy for you. They are not hard to get. I just hope you are on a pvp server because if you are the only guy running without rakata reusables then you are doing something wrong because everyone else can figure it out. Seriously if you cannot hack it in pvp with the 48 reusables then the rakata ones aren't going to help L2P or find another pvp environment because there is no invincible stim or 1 shot adrenal.

God I am so tired of all the pvp whining about wanting everything easier.

Reposted for Easy Reading

yet on the other thread you wanted to take a crafting skill to 400, dump it, then still reap the benefits. Ain't that easy mode rather than having to work for something you easily dispatched with a click? Make up your mind...easy or not? Can't have it both ways!

yet on the other thread you wanted to take a crafting skill to 400, dump it, then still reap the benefits. Ain't that easy mode rather than having to work for something you easily dispatched with a click? Make up your mind...easy or not? Can't have it both ways!

What other thread? Where is this supposed post of mine? I have a Long list of posts opposing the kind of post you describe. most recently

You are all a disease I wish they would make it so when you max a skill to 400 it becomes permanent for the life of the character.

from biochem only good crafting?

Maybe if people actually acted properly instead just deciding that biochem is the only option and rushing into it then expecting "the only worthwhile option" to give them free stuff for no effort.

Also the post you were quoting is me reposting my own post.

Edited by havok_bloodcraft

I just cancelled my account because of this BS.

I want to obtain a few pieces of this for PVP purposes but the PVE snobs wont let me play in their reindeer games because I dont have the proper toys to play along.

So I take my ball and go home. (And my 90 day recurring subscription with me)

I still have 43 days left. Either Bioware can make it so I can obtain this piece without having to PVE to death by making it sellable. (Ill pay 1 mil for a piece). They can make it obtainable in PVP bags, or expensive to buy like those pricey mounts. ANYTHING other than this nonsense.

Just spent an hour being wiped continually in HM flashpoint because it was 3 assasssins 1 Merc and apparently it wasnt the lack of DPS in the group that caused this. It was because I have full Champ PVP gear. Thats why we wiped. (Sarcasm off)

Edited by macnernie