Assault on Tython: Major Travik fight

Yeah... Tried this tonight with a random pug. He spawned THREE sets of adds, instead of just one, and in each set one of the two adds had a shield that would never break from the Orbital Strike. So we had to basically run around avoiding death until the phase finally timed out. Three times.

Please fix this, it's so tedious and hard right now!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, BW please do one of your awesome nerfs we like so much because peepz don't like challenges :eek:

What you call a challenge is a by-product of a fix they wanted to implement to revert the instance to its original design. Nowhere in this patch BW stated that they will make the flashpoint more difficult or more challenging. I like how bugs nowadays are interpreted as a new challenge :D.

What you call a challenge is a by-product of a fix they wanted to implement to revert the instance to its original design. Nowhere in this patch BW stated that they will make the flashpoint more difficult or more challenging. I like how bugs nowadays are interpreted as a new challenge :D.

Which is besides the point that tacticals weren't really designed to be a challenge or else kolto tanks(and the canisters in Manaan) and 4 DPS runs wouldn't exist. I'm guessing this guy thought the perma-shield was just another challenge too.

Still waiting for my HM Tyhon and Korriban BW

Hey Everyone!

::dodges thrown tomatoes and rotten heads of lettuce::

I just wanted to jump in here and first apologize, second ask for some help. I'm the designer responsible for this fight and the previous hot fix which does not appear to have resolved the problem. We currently have QA looking into this to get a solid repro and I have no doubt we will get this resolved. That said If you happen to run this and get the Commander in the bugged state please, if you would be so kind, post here and let me know in as much detail as possible how you were taking on the fight. Any and all information could be of help so thank you guys in advance and again I really am sorry this has resulted in some really frustrating situations for you guys. Rest assured we are looking into it and doing our best to fix this for good. I do not have any ETA on when a fix might be in, but I can assure you we will get it fixed ASAP.

Thanks for your understanding and I feel your anger, it makes you stronger so let me have it. :D

Hey Everyone!

I just wanted to jump in here and first apologize, second ask for some help. I'm the designer responsible for this fight and the previous hot fix which does not appear to have resolved the problem. We currently have QA looking into this to get a solid repro and I have no doubt we will get this resolved. That said If you happen to run this and get the Commander in the bugged state please, if you would be so kind, post here and let me know in as much detail as possible how you were taking on the fight. Any and all information could be of help so thank you guys in advance and again I really am sorry this has resulted in some really frustrating situations for you guys. Rest assured we are looking into it and doing our best to fix this for good. I do not have any ETA on when a fix might be in, but I can assure you we will get it fixed ASAP.

Thanks for your understanding and I feel your anger, it makes you stronger so let me have it. :D

First time I encountered this bug, I was running this FP 2-man with a friend. He was tanking on a Jedi Guardian, I was on my Gunnery-spec DPS Commando, and both of us had companions out (1 melee DPS and a ranged Healer). During the shield/orbital bombardment phase, the two Imperial Operator minions that showed up had... interesting problems. One of them would properly lose its shield from the targeted Orbital Bombardments from Major Travik, but the other would never lose the shield even when hit by the Orbital Bombardment multiple times. Major Travik would never drop his shield due to this; thus making it impossible to get past Major Travik and rendering him both invulnerable and an Orbital Bombardment spammer. :rolleyes:

Second time after the quickfix was implemented in the 2.9a patch, the same problem with the Imperial Operators occurs; one of the Imperial Operators loses his shield from the Orbital Bombardments but the other one still keeps his shield.

The only difference is that Major Travik DOES lose his shield once both minions are downed. This means that the fight is now technically feasible, but this particular phase now becomes a huge headache to melee tanks and melee DPS, since they still have to worry about being pummeled by Orbital Bombardments as they are attempting to tank/DPS down both Imperial Operators. The second time, I was running the FP with a full group through Groupfinder; and I was once again on my DPS Commando.

Second time after the quickfix was implemented in the 2.9a patch, the same problem with the Imperial Operators occurs; one of the Imperial Operators loses his shield from the Orbital Bombardments but the other one still keeps his shield.

The only difference is that Major Travik DOES lose his shield once both minions are downed.

This was my experience today as well.

Hey Everyone!

I did this fight the other day with a 4-man group in group finder, and my experience was the first two shields on the two soldiers that spawn in dropped from being hit by the boss' Orbital, we killed them, and the shield dropped off the boss, as per normal. The second time around, the same thing happened, except, once we had killed the soldiers, one of them still had a the grey shield generator lightning emitting from his lifeless body and was keeping Major Travik's shield up. At that point we all had used /stuck to die, then we all dropped group because we knew we couldn't get past that boss while it was bugged.

Edited by OMGITSJAD

The only difference is that Major Travik DOES lose his shield once both minions are downed. This means that the fight is now technically feasible, but this particular phase now becomes a huge headache to melee tanks and melee DPS, since they still have to worry about being pummeled by Orbital Bombardments as they are attempting to tank/DPS down both Imperial Operators. The second time, I was running the FP with a full group through Groupfinder; and I was once again on my DPS Commando.

+1

Exact same mechanics, just with a different group composition. Made it through with much pain and heavy casualties... I guess HM mechanic added early? :p

Pretty lousy way of implementing a temp fix; at this tier of bugfix quality, they might as well just remove the adds mechanic altogether. :p

You obviously have no experience at all with software. It is freakin hard to pop out a patch in one day. The fact that it made the fight at all doable is to their credit.

Now the designer himself comes in with a mea culpa and asking for more feedback? I really hope the mobs constantly whining about dev communication at least recognize this positive example.

Well, I ran this TFP both before and after the fix. Every time as a DPS Sorcerer, Lightning Speeced. Which means lots of channellings and stationary casting. :rolleyes:

Before the fix, the adds went down but the shield remained up. Not the graphic effect, mind you, but the buff that makes him immune to dmg. The boss kept AoEing like crazy with his Orbital Strike the whole time. I surrendered to him after a good minute kiting that with the other DPS - 3 melee, can't recall if it was 2 Juggernauts and a Marauder or the opposite - dead to AoEs. What can I say, I hoped resisting till his buff was to 0 would make him stop... Nope. Just refreshed the buff and restarted with AoEs. :o

Second attempt, we decided to work at range, avoiding the platform. Basically I attacked the boss with lightnings while the others threw lightsabers at him. Again, took longer, but same result. Adds went down, shield buff remained up. And AoE was spammed again. This time I didn't kite though, it seemed pointless.

As such we called it a no go and left after our good farewells. :(

Now, today I had two more runs there. The adds died like before - which is good - and the boss lost its shield as it should be. Both the graphic effect AND the buff. But his AoE spamming took the whole platform a few times, and as such it was impossible to resist without at least one of us dying. We passed it both times, though.

I'm geared in 162 armorings with set bonus and a mix of 168+ other mods & enhancements, so kind of a good average rating. 162 implants, 180 earring, Brutalizer relics. 156 lightsaber hilt, but 180 Focus. Lightsaber and three other pieces are properly augmented.

The others were less geared than me, being a mix of 156s and 162s - I inspected them. My health is around 32k, they were all between 26k and 29k.

All of this for what, you may ask? All of this speech about my gear because I barely survived to those AoEs on the first run and died to it the second one. And both times half of the dmg output was eaten by my Force Barrier, that made me impervious to dmg completely.

I fear that the dmg output may be too high given the current situation. Or possibly the AoE is too large? Or again, he wasn't supposed to cover the whole platform but he did? :confused:

Still, I think others with "beginner gear" - pass me the term, I mean 156s from Oricon or even 148s from Makeb - wouldn't survive the fight, if it goes as it went when I ran it. One AoE covered platform is bearable if everyone without Force Barrier jumps off it, but two or more are overkill.

First time we had two, and we lost a Juggernaut to the second one, which I battle rezzed. Second run we had three, and I died, being battle rezzed by our Mercenary DPS after I ate a couple of 7k+ hits. I survived long enough to selfheal to half health and down the boss with barely any health left in my bar at all. By the end of the fight, the Mercenary was totally overheated and everyone was at critical health - under 30%. :(

Still, never needed battle rez in HM FPs, being them 50s or 55s... and now I need it in a TFP. :eek: I like the challenge, but this is too much! :D

There, that's it, rant mode: OFF. I hope this is helpful. And btw, I'm glad you were able to do a hasty fix at all, I know a little of how complicated it can be to work over such an issue in what, two days? So, good attempt. :)

Edited by Cox_The_Beast

i did this the other day with all ranged dps. i didnt know it was bugged. we tried several times trying to lead him away from the platform after the invul stage to no avail. eventually we decided to just stick on the platform after several resets. i cant recall to handily what we did because i was healing like mad through the orbital bombardment but i believe that at some point either one or both adds drop the shield and his goes down as well and we ignored the adds and focused him as fast as we could.

I did this fp several times today (farming recovered relics for that ****** decoration hehe). Both solo and a full group of 4. The way the fight transpired was different however in both cases.

When I did this solo: When adds come down, I could aways unshield one, but never the other. Had to kill it through the massive dr while boss was kindly spamming his AOE. Once second add died, shield went down and could go on with the boss. Eventually I managed to kill the boss, so thats a plus.

FUll group of four: Again when adds came down, 1 add I was always able to unshield. The other, I cannot say for sure but I think its just sort of disappeared by itself after some set amount of time (the group of four was natually able to do far more dmg to the boss than I alone in the pervous scenario b4 the first set of adds came down, not sure if that has anything to do with it). HOwever, here too the boss was happily spamming his aoe cast thing until the second add died as well. Eventually our efforts yieded a dead annoying boss :p.

So yeah thats about all the detail I can give.

Did this fight yesterday via groupfinder: two melee, one ranged DPS and me healing with Commando. Overall sufficiently geared.

The Adds: One always lost its shield to the AoE from Travik and became easy prey, while the other remained shielded and therefore Travik as well, who wouldn't stop spamming his bombardment all over the place. We managed to kill this add three or four times through its shield which made Travik vulnerable again untill the next wave of adds. Took a while but Travik was dead in the end. The fight was a pain in the a** with a battlerez, lots of healing, koltostations on cooldown and more people dying and running back into the fight.

There was one other thing I believe to remember: It was always the add on the left (when you walk up the platform) that lost its shield, while the adds at both positions on the right kept theirs through the bombardment. I am not entirely sure, cause I had to run back to the fight once as well and it was all very hectic. Nevertheless, I hope this helps somehow.

Edited by TNTeron

The boss mechanic is that when the two shield add comes, you will need to use the bombardments to drop their shields. However, one of the shield add does not loss the shield.

Before patch, the bugged shield add can be killed by simply mowing him through his own shield. However, after he is down the shield effect coming from him going to Travik does not dissipate making him immune to damage and render the fight uncompletable.

After patch, the shield is still bugged where the shield is still not dropping when he is hit by the bombardment. The difference now is that the shield effect is dropping once the add dies. The shield add can be mowed down through his own shield, and Travik can now be killed.

The fight is still considered bugged and glitched as the mechanic for the shield is still not working properly.

As a ranged dps this fight was no problem, I just kept running around throwing grenades occasionally running at a trooper so the shield would die. However melee people do not have the luxury of movement.

I think it would be better to have the strikes land in specific locations and allow the troopers to move so that they can be dragged into the bombardment by players, just let Travik repeat the bombardment until this is done. Then once the troopers have been killed, Travik drops his shield and the dps nuking resumes.

I know this isn't strictly about the Assault on Tython FP, but I just encountered a bug in another Tactical FP that's even worse, since you can't overcome the bug in this one like you can in the Assault on Tython one. (I figured I'd stick it here, since a yellow name has posted he's looking at this thread, so maybe they won't miss this post. The maker knows they don't read bug reports (which I've also placed)).

It's in Cerzka Core Meltdown, final boss. We were attacking the nodes like you're supposed to, when, about halfway through them, the remaining data integration points all spouted immunity shields, and we couldn't damage them, even if we took the teleport up to them to get behind the shield. Also, the blue circles would appear, but never turn red, nor drop the lightning. So, yeah, we had to abandon the mission since we couldn't damage anything in the room.

So, spectacular job, BW, for effin' up the tactical FPs. I'm now looking forward to seeing how you've borked up the rest of them. :rolleyes:

Oh, and as a side note, hire some QA people, since it's blatantly obvious you don't have any. (Or, if you do, they certainly aren't doing their jobs.)

There was one other thing I believe to remember: It was always the add on the left (when you walk up the platform) that lost its shield, while the adds at both positions on the right kept theirs through the bombardment. I am not entirely sure, cause I had to run back to the fight once as well and it was all very hectic. Nevertheless, I hope this helps somehow.

Good point, I forgot to mention this. As we r face to face with the boss b4 fight, only the add to the left (aka NW or SW from boss) gets properly unshielded. The other one is the add that has issues every time with the shield.

You obviously have no experience at all with software. It is freakin hard to pop out a patch in one day. The fact that it made the fight at all doable is to their credit.

Now the designer himself comes in with a mea culpa and asking for more feedback? I really hope the mobs constantly whining about dev communication at least recognize this positive example.

Your lack of effort at contributing to actually help fix the problem at large greatly amuses me.

It is true; the fact that the designer IS doing his best to communicate with the gaming community to help solve the problem is laudable. However, people who pay for subscriptions (including myself) and find problems like this during live releases when they should've been detected early on by QA is a very humorous thing.

Am I mad at the developers? No, not really. If I was truly angry, I would've deleted my game client and quit SWTOR. I just find the whole situation hilarious in a twisted way.

Bakmar the Republic-side Manaan flashpoint vendor NPC is another one. People were pointing out that they were having problems accessing him during the PTS run, and yet somehow that error STILL ends up in the live release.

We also experienced the same problem with the first boss fight in Assault on Tython. The adds come out and shield the boss. Then, the air strikes come down and are supposed to take out the shields on the adds so they can be killed. However, the air strikes do not take down the shields of the adds, so the boss is still immune and the air strikes are still damaging the players. The healer ran from tank to tank, hitting the koltos to keep the group alive while the other two ranged dps ran around and threw some damage and eventually got the adds down through the shield. This was a slow, painful process. Then, we all attacked the boss with all the dps we could until he brought out the adds again and shielded a second time. We repeated the running/slow life reduction process and were able to defeat him before a third round of adds came out, but the fight is ridiculous - AND we were all 168/180 geared (the recommended is 148).

Good point, I forgot to mention this. As we r face to face with the boss b4 fight, only the add to the left (aka NW or SW from boss) gets properly unshielded. The other one is the add that has issues every time with the shield.

I ran this twice. One on the empire and one the republic. On the empire there was no trouble. It was the first time for me there, and it was quite chaotic but nothing weird that I can recall happened.

But on the republic, damn.... Yeah, took few tries. And like you said, that's the one add that wont have its shield destroyed. We had tank,2 deeps and me healing. It was really crazy. Eventually we beat him. Simply by staying alive long enough. That add's shield does come down but it takes a while.

Can't really say how much but first pair of adds that spawned one of the dps died and released. You spawn at the very begining. He walked all the way back to the boss fight and the add still had its shield up. Few moments later it was down and we could continue. This was twice (two pair of adds), happening the same way (dps didn't die again though :p).

Kolto missile, probes, hammer shot (casting would have been suicide with all the crap falling on us, lol) and clickies. It was nuts but it was the only way to stay alive

Edited by wainot-keel

Right glad I found this thread as I was about to start a new one. So I took a break from this very FP , for a few weeks really. I knew the FP very well at that point. Now I didn't do the FP after you lowered some of the mobs and thus didn't try the first boss fight described in here. Having said all that we got to play the FP last night and o dear what has happened to the fight ? I've read most of the thread. So firstly his AOE attacks are far far far to frequent , they where never ever this way at all. Our team consisted of 3 DPS and me the tank. The fight was so bad that the poor DPS's could only just run around to avoid the AOE's. It was literally me doing the DPS on the two shielded adds , that is no joke.

What I suggest to you Mr. Ben Scott is to revert the initial change back to what it was prior to lowering the damage/health of certain mobs. Now obviously this all could of happened from an entirely different part of a recent patch but I would still try it and check.

It is horrific now.

This was on the Republic side.

Cheers ,

BadOrb.

Edited by BadOrb

Hey Everyone!

Now this may or may not be related, but the last boss in Mandalorian Raiders (Hard Mode) was bugged yesterday, where he wouldn't jump around after taking a certain amount of damage and just stand there until he was low and then jump and spawn turrets like mad. That bug used to be around over a year ago and got fixed, but now it seems to be back. Could it be that these two problems are related somehow?