Being able to sit

nosub

You are claiming it can be done. I am saying it can't.

I gave 3 bits of furniture where the problem is very noticeable.

Also I am pretty sure if you asked around your guild, or friends, one of them will have the seats.

Otherwise, how would you even know if they can be sat on properly by a BT3?

Because you're not claiming that just those three exceptions are what's wrong. You're claiming that "you literally cannot sit on half the furniture".

That's far more than three exceptions.

There are a few seats/chairs that are slightly too short for some bodytypes, sure.

But hardly "half of all furniture".

Also, BT3 is the tallest BT there is.

But it still uses the same skeleton and animations as the other BTs.

I mean, have you seen one on a speeder bike? It looks frikkin' redonkulous!

So expecting a BT3 to look perfectly fine sitting in a tiny chair is kinda silly.

But sure, I made a video for you... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XZaO1PmhBY&feature=youtu.be

Edited by OddballEasyEight

You have no clue if it's difficult or not to program that kind of behaviour in this game.

I accept that, but I would argue that is a pretty lame defect in the engine. It is a freaking MMO. You think they'd have figured some basic degree of interacting with the universe would be crucial to keeping dedicated players happy.

- Arcada

So expecting a BT3 to look perfectly fine sitting in a tiny chair is kinda silly.

But sure, I made a video for you... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XZaO1PmhBY&feature=youtu.be

Except that's not a BT3 in the video, it's BT2, I should know a majority of my toons are BT3, I have a couple of BT2 but mostly 3 and that is NOT BT3 in the video, so of course it looks fine sitting

This ^. From the proportions and especially the awkward thigh shape, this is a BT 3.

Maby it's different with the male BT3.

But if it is, then it's not a problem with the furniture since THEY don't change their collision mesh depending on your characters BT, but the BT itself has a collision mesh and that's the thing that's causing trouble if this is the case.

And that wouldn't be solved by having clickable furniture (since you'd still float above the chairs or whatever's happening)

I'll have a look this weekend.

If it turns out that it's an actual problem, I'll make a bug report about it myself.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

I've tried out the male BT3 and BT4.

Both have problems with their collision detection, the BT3 moreso than the BT4.

The best way to test this is with the Alderaanian Throne.

On most other furniture, the character starts to "float" up on the furniture if you walk too close, but the Alderaanian throne doesn't have that problem, so it's perfect for checking the collision box for the body type.

The BT3 can't even get anywhere near it without getting blocked, while the BT4 can get relatively near, but not near enough to sit correctly in the throne.

BT2 and 1 (and female BT1-3, haven't tested 4) all have normal collision boxes and can move really close to the throne letting them sit comfortably in the throne.

I'll be filing a bug report about this in the bug reports section of the forums.

That's just it, if it only worked when standing in front of a seat it would at least feel half convincing. Sadly it works wherever you stand, Even more sadly they forgot to take into account that not all chairs have their sitting surface at the same height, and more often than not you are hovering with your *** in mid-air.

Most of the time when you sit down where there isn't a chair, you can usually see a mostly-transparent cantina stool under your tuchus when you're sitting. It's no substitute for a real chair-sit action that accomodates the size and shape of the chair you're sitting in, though.

Edited by DmdShiva

Actually, that's not true. It's just you not lining up properly.

I don't understand why people find it hard to do. Just switch to walk, go right up to the chair and type /chair.

Easy as that.

Also, claiming that it's not "realistic" the way it is, is bull... I can sit down in the air looking like I'm on a chair right now. It's not unrealistic.

Ya'll are just lazy.

Calling people lazy is just low. Well, if you are of a larger body type, then you can't even get close enough to most chairs chair without "walking onto" the chair or a table next to it. When you use /chair in that situation, you hover way above it. Also a Body Type 3 male can't use /chair to sit properly on "Jedi Temple Chairs" at all. Small body types (especially females) don't have the same problem, they can walk right to the chair and "bump" into it without walking up so they can easily position themselves properly on most chairs, although on some they still don't sitt all the way on it. If Bioware removed the horizontal collision from furniture like chairs and tables might help the situation (only the horizontal collision, not the vertical one, so you could still jump onto the objects to stand on them).

Not to mention that the /chair emote solution has many other flaws, like people that weren't in range not seeing you sit (like with any other emote in the game which people have been complaining about since launch, but Bioware conveniently ignored), and the /chair emote has three random animations that are randomly chosen client-side isntead of server-side, so each player will see you sit with a different one of the three random animations.

Bioware should get their fingers out of their behinds and start doing things right. The reason that was given for chairs in the game can't be clicked to sit on is that the technology wasn't ready for launch and when they finally had the technology they told us that it would be too much work to retrofit all chairs in the game with it and only added it to some personal starship chairs as well as two barstools in Tatooine cantinas. They did say that future chairs would get the feature, though, but they also said we'd be getting chat bubbles "at launch or shortly thereafter" and conveniently "forgot" about it.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too much of a problem for Bioware to retrofit at least all stronghold chairs with a click to sit option. Alas, they don't feel it's important enough to warrant work, just like anything else that caters to socializers and roleplayers and/or can't be monetized via cartel market.

Another way to do it would be like it is in LOTRO, where if you /sit near a chair, it automatically warps the chair to your location and sits you onto it properly, but I think warping the player to the location like it is in starships may be better.

Edited by Glzmo

The problem is that they think everything is a "trivial matter not worth their time". Like picking unique icons for items, attacks, and buffs/debuffs. Reusing the same icon for 5 different things in game (many of which you have on your screen at the same time) never occurred to them to be a bad idea. Allowing (theoretically) 12 madness sorcs into an operation but giving them no way to determine who's attack debuffs belong to who never occurred to them to be a bad idea.

In reality, both problems have a quick and simple solution. For the first, simply copy the icon over to photoshop and slide the RGB slider to the right until the color changes a noticeable amount. Then copy back and viola! Problem solved! Took a total of 20 seconds.

The second- simply reserve the bottom most row of debuffs on the boss for the player. Icons hold a predetermined spot in said bottom row based on their alpha position in the abilities list. Problem solved! Nobody will ever curse bioware again because it takes them 5 seconds in the middle of a fight to pick out their incendiary missile, creeping terror, interrogation probe, corrosive dart, etc out from the other 4 or 5 of them currently effecting the enemy. Would have taken maybe 20 minutes for a talented programmer to solve that bug, a few hours for a bad one. The least they could do is let people develop addons if they refuse to solve or even address these huge glaring inadequacies. Keeping the game free of third party conflict bugs is a moot point if people are leaving in droves because the UI sucks ***.

And yes the issue where other players see a totally different version of the emote as you is utterly retarded! Pretty much makes the whole emote worthless if people cant see it!

Now, instead of addressing these huge flaws already in game, they blindly forge ahead and release yet another bug filled expansion full of more half developed ideas. As usual they did the absolute minimum required to fulfill their promises. Not only can our companions not sit in chairs or lay seductively in the bed, but they cant even wear their proper armor or be of the correct race because they are holograms!!! Those of us who spend millions on pets and mounts cant even display them because of the NPC limit. We cant even position our couch in the center of the wall it is in front of because of the retarded 10 place max side to side movement!

Idk about you but I would have been much happier with one well done SH, that lets us actually put stuff where we want it, rather than 4 quickly thrown together ones with terribly restrictive hooks, and no scaling, z axis, or reasonable x,y movement adjustments.

Edited by -Damask-