Is Huttball luck or skill?

Mofotrey

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I might get flamed for this but, I think Huttball is the most brilliant game there is. Yes I used to hate it. I mean absolutely hated it. However at the lvl 50 bracket? It's amazing. I don't have to sit there and take my time to type out how to play the match.

It's definitely skill based and the people that are good at it are truly good at the game. IMO, it's got more tactics involved than Civil War and Voidstar.

There's just so much going on on so many levels. The game is fast paced. Those who are aware will be one step ahead of the other. If you made a wrong step, you probably cost your team a score. One clutch pull on the ball carrier trying to score and you may have just saved the game.

When I'm going back and forth from one end zone to another I'll take a quick glance at what's happening in the pit below me. Two guys fighting it out no one else around. lol People get fierce with each other. They will over commit to these battles and sometimes for good reason. It's probably personal and I don't mind it because sometimes I'll take things personal when people are going way way out of their way to kill me.

Huttball is genius. I don't care what anyone says. So yeah, it's definitely skill based.

Edited by Draeb

If it is luck that is the cause of others success, not hard work or skill, then people can feel better about themselves because in their minds, they have no control over the outcome.

The only part that is luck, as others have said, is who is on your team. I have been on some really bad huttball teams where it seems like I am the only one anywhere near the ball and the rest of the team is off in their own little battles trying to pad their kill count because that is far more important to them than winning. On the flip side, I have been on other teams that burn out 6 scores in just a few min.

Edited by HelinCarnate

Remove Inq/Con speed run and you have a completely different game.

As it stands 2 out of 3 WZ's are won solely based on the amount of Inq/Con you have. Those being Voidstar and Huttball. He who has the most speed boost wins the match. End of story.

The only luck involved is who you get on your team.

Your friend just sucks and doesn't want to admit it, even to himself.

^this^

Though, the game depends on force users to have any sort of way to game the pit.

If its purely pugs, the team with the most warriors or inquisitors wins...

Probably should have thought to put more utility/ mobilty for a larger array before implementing a warzone that only a select few can excel at.

tactic for hutt ball to win, hold mid (if you do you controll the ball) keep passing forward and you win easy as hell, after 2-3 goal the othere team will start to leave and you have now won hutt ball.

in my server artho city there are alot of BM using rakata gear and as soon as they show up u know it's a loss couse pve gear is for pve not for pvp, imo. i play as a healer/jedi gaurdian, and i can see when i heal who is having pve gear, couse the dmg they take is impossible to heal.

u have to have some luck to get ppl with some sens in pvp, today eveyone is pvping and there are alot of horrible pvpers

Edited by FriscoFrez

huttball is neither luck or skill...it's what team has the most sorcerers and juggernauts.

Class combo in this warzone can really help you or hurt you. Sorc and jug have effectively an advantage in this WZ. Still a bad sorc or jug won't help the team if they doesn't know how to play huttball. Tactic are really important in this warzone. It's just easier for some classes.

I still find your comment funny and kinda true at the same time.

Edited by Guzul

Huttball rocks.

It's about flexibility. If you insist on personally carrying the ball to the goal line, yeah - you're increasing your chance of losing. Getting knocked into the pit shouldn't cause a flexible team any trouble whatsoever - quite the opposite in many cases.

If someone's on the ledge, going in the pit is a likely-to-score tactic as the opponents will follow you down and be stuck when you pass to/get extricated by/jump to the guy on the ledge or force leap to the enemy up there. If no one's on the ledge ... why aren't they?

There's no skill involved in Huttball. Please. It's one of the easiest Warzones in any game. Just because you have an IQ above 65 and 75% of the people playing the game don't doesn't suddenly mean the WZ requires skill. All it requires is the tiniest amount of common sense and the ability to tolerate Bioware's buggy gameplay.

Some of you guys seriously act like the fastest kid at the special olympics.

Edited by Mannic

A guildie and I had a big argument today in guild chat about Huttball. He said something about Huttball involving "little-to-no skill" and I told him that he was wrong. He doesn't even have a level 50 yet, several characters in the 30's and 40's, and hasn't PVP'ed in weeks because he always says "I refuse to pvp until they remove Huttball".

My argument is that he doesn't understand how to play if he's always getting knocked off things and dominated. I explained to him that if you work as a team and decoy the enemy away while you jump down low and set up a sneaky pass, etc. you can use SKILL to win the game. He didn't want to hear that and just responded "No whoever you pass it to is just lucky that nobody comes out of nowhere and knocks him off.".

He disagrees and says that despite the fact that he hasn't played it in weeks and has never even played it in the top bracket that he understands it perfectly and that I'm stupid if I think there's any skill involved. I told him that he's probably just mad that he's not playing it right and instead of accepting personal responsibility he's blaming it on luck and ragequitting pvp forever to be over dramatic about it.

What sayeth the hordes of PVP forum trolls? Is Huttball completely based on luck with little or no skill involved, is it mostly luck and some skill, is it half and half, is it mostly skill and some luck, or is it all skill?

Few scenerios we have tried (with success) in hutball that work

~ 3 healers go to enemy area - win 6:0 because they are unkillable - no skills required

~ assasin with all that "pull", "push back", "bubble", "sprint" and "stealth" stay on lower bridge. Get ball, pass it to him, he score on super speed - win 6:0, no skills required

~ Operative/assasin in enemy camp. Tank go below bridge and pass the ball - win 6:0, no skill required

~ whole team in enemy camp fighting, 1 operative going back and forward to get ball, go below bridge and throw it to fighting folks in enemy camp - pure win 6:0, no skills required, just need to outkill enemies

~ Jug get the ball and go below bridge with assist. He jump to idiot above the bridge and score. Pure win 6:0.

~ team that move around with small 2-3 people groups, help each other, heal, tank guard etc and pass the ball moving to enemy line - almost always win - loot of skills required

So if you have "pure win" tactics and one that require some effort what will you choose ?

A guildie and I had a big argument today in guild chat about Huttball. He said something about Huttball involving "little-to-no skill" and I told him that he was wrong. He doesn't even have a level 50 yet, several characters in the 30's and 40's, and hasn't PVP'ed in weeks because he always says "I refuse to pvp until they remove Huttball".

My argument is that he doesn't understand how to play if he's always getting knocked off things and dominated. I explained to him that if you work as a team and decoy the enemy away while you jump down low and set up a sneaky pass, etc. you can use SKILL to win the game. He didn't want to hear that and just responded "No whoever you pass it to is just lucky that nobody comes out of nowhere and knocks him off.".

He disagrees and says that despite the fact that he hasn't played it in weeks and has never even played it in the top bracket that he understands it perfectly and that I'm stupid if I think there's any skill involved. I told him that he's probably just mad that he's not playing it right and instead of accepting personal responsibility he's blaming it on luck and ragequitting pvp forever to be over dramatic about it.

What sayeth the hordes of PVP forum trolls? Is Huttball completely based on luck with little or no skill involved, is it mostly luck and some skill, is it half and half, is it mostly skill and some luck, or is it all skill?

Skill is the ability to make luck happen on purpose...so there you have it.

HUttball is down to the number of sorcerors on your team (and I am not talking ones specced for damage)

When there are no sorcerors on either team you can then have a skill game, and those are the fun ones where position and team work really do count.

If I harpoon the enemy ballcarrier 2 yards from my scoring line, and he just refuses to fly to me despite having an empty resolve bar, standing there for a second than scoring- I definetly feel the skill involved :) (usually Sorces) Edited by Twor

It's actually neither. It's could be interpreted as luck with getting good huttball players and having some skill, but it's mostly about strategies. As long as you have some strategies for the game and talk constantly in /ops, you can do well in huttball.

Just go in with 3 of your friends and luck and skill will be out of the equation.

Huttball is amazing because of the number of different strategies I've seen, getting a stealthier to wait near the enemy goal line then running the ball through the pit and passing up rather than going over. Having a vanguard or shadow tank in your team wait in your pit as a goalkeeper. Creating a solid pass line. Having someone run down one side of the "pitch" and reset the ball before they are zerged while your team sets up a pass line on the other wing with someone in centre for the reset. Pushing people out of the pass circle when a ball is being passed. It's the most varied of any of the games. Going to the sand bags and passing up over rather than using the jets or ramps to get up. The list just goes on and on. I've not even mentioned some tactics I've seen because of how much confusion they cause the opponents and are best kept secret.

Edited by Gwal

Like others have said, Huttball is luck based in the sense that it is designed to highlight half of the classes' (the force users) strengths, so skill being equal, the team with more of those classes is going to win. All they have to do is remove the ability to use movement abilities or be pulled when carrying the ball and suddenly you have a relatively balanced warzone. Force classes would still have an advantage because they could move around the map easier to get open for passes, it just wouldn't be as faceroll easy to score as it is now.

Eh, we're a guild of good friends that all live in the same area and that played WoW together from 2005 until SWTOR came out, so kicking him isn't an option. I just want him to either suck it up and accept that he needs to get better at Huttball in order to realize that it does involve a lot of skill and teamwork to have good matches or to stop whining about it and writing it off as all "luck" to everyone else.

i see

guys played WOW

nuff said

The only luck involved is who you get on your team.

Your friend just sucks and doesn't want to admit it, even to himself.

Actually the vents have a luck element also, as well as what time you die - whether you have to wait for a full barrier or just 5 seconds to get out.