Frequently Asked PvP Questions

EricMusco

I am disappointed in the PvP community more than anything!! What a bunch of whiners! Want PvP to improve? Its time for some psyops missions. We need YOU, the PvP player base to mobilize and start encouraging people to do some PVP!

The Dev's are definitely to blame for the bugs! No argument here. Season 1 had so many bugs I honestly didnt even feel like playing. And I really didnt even play much.

This game seems to have a thriving PvE base. Why is that? PvP takes more skill... How many of you PVP'ers are trying to encourage PvE'ers to come do some PvP??? Yep they should go do all the research you have. They should go learn it all on their own but guess what.... THEY DONT! Most people dont even know where to start for PvP information. If you PvP you know guides are pretty scarce so we have to make them! They also need a nudge in the right direction... away from PvE and toward PvP! Be a PvP coach! Offer yourself up and help out these noobs! At least tell them some good links or web pages they can learn some stuff from. Make some instructional videos and post them on the forums to help new players transform from noobs to pros!

Most people get stomped in PvP because of lack of knowledge -- not gear... We still got tons of people thinking they did awesome in PvP with tons of DPS/HPS without getting any kills or keeping anyone alive... I'd like to see a scoreboard that also shows how many CC's, interupts and slows/snares someone executed. Anyone can spam dots/hots/AOE's and not get any kills and have their team die. BUT LOOK AT ALL THAT DPS/HPS on the scoreboard!!!! DPS get on the right targets and kill people, heals heal the right targets and save lives... thats skilled PvP vs mindless spamming dots/hots aoes...

If you want PvP to do well, start doing something to cultivate and encourage more people to come PvP instead of PvE! If you are like me you really like this game, see its potential and want it to succeed. It wont succeed by complaining about how things suck. It will succeed if you start doing things to change it. Be creative! Being a PvPer you are probably competitive and intelligent... Be a coach. Persuade people to PvP! Stop complaining and do something productive! Start a PvP guild or join one and help out noobs!! Encourage more PvP in your PvE guilds! Heck infiltrate PvE guilds and encourage people to PvP! Its the only way to grow the PvP community....

Do you think the Devs are going to get resources to implement much PvP stuff if they dont have a large enough player base to make que's pop??? Nope. They are busy catering to the large PvE population paying them while us PvPers that nerd rage (I'm guilty of it) after a match scare people away from PvP. Instead of COMPLAINING start doing more EXPLAINING to noobs. Dont scare them away. Be gentle... more bees with honey than vinegar...

The Dev's are NOT the only thing that has an effect on the PvP community. In fact I'd say the player base has a larger effect. Especially once PvP is bug free then its really on the PvP community... which I'm really hoping season 2 starts with no bugs. If it does have bugs its gonna seriously hurt an already crippled and nearly dead part of the game...

So make a choice: Be constructive and help out. OR Be destructive and complain and not have any fun. The choice is yours.

Peace.

Do you really think the average scrub pug gives a **** what you say in ops? Not only no, but **** no. In fact many will do the opposite out of spite or sheer idiocy.

As far as being constructive:

All those FAQs were constructive ideas generated by the community on ways to improve the pvp game. The answer to everything was no.

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fixing ranked would require the removal of bolster, removing conversions from regular to ranked comms, remove ranked comms earned through the weekly and daily, and remove the ranked comms earned through the solo queue.

That won't fix ranked it'll finish killing it right along with Regs. People simply don't like ranked. If they did there'd be more people playing. They don't like 4v4 death matches. You're not going to force the majority to do them, but making it so people can't get top end gear in regs but have to fight against it will certainly get them to drop out. Then you won't get a queue to pop, the hard core guys move on to another game and there isn't any PVP here. Is that really what you're aiming for?

Seems they know that pleasing the PvP crowd here will take a lot of manpower and investment, with not much in return other than subscriptions. There aren't really many opportunities to monetize PvP without being accused of Pay 2 Win. It's much easier to monetize PVE fluff like Player Housing. And this game has become all about monetizing. Sure, they might provide some entertainment in the process, but it's not the primary motivation.

The whole "transparency" thing while saying "NO" is really just a polite way of throwing in the towel where PvP is concerned. They know that they can't invest what is needed to provide the features and gaming experience PvP'ers expect. Features many other MMOs already have. So it's a case of 'we hear you, but we can't help you, certainly not now and perhaps not ever'.

Fixing ranked would require the removal of bolster, removing conversions from regular to ranked comms, remove ranked comms earned through the weekly and daily, and remove the ranked comms earned through the solo queue.

Your sig is the best, and sadly it's so damn true. I'm adding it to mine because **** bioware.

Been here since launch actually, love the game.

That being said, all the other quotes either echoed your doom's day or talked about ranked not popping. Can't help you there TBH. Ranked doesn't pop because either nobody wants to queue for ranked or they don't want to form groups for ranked. That's more of an issue with the PVP community here in SWTOR than Bioware's fault. Nobody wants to get rolled in PVP and unless your one of the best and you're in a group, you just end up slaughtered.

There are two types of PVP players in SWTOR, the good, dedicated ones that make up 5% of the total and the other 95% who are only interested in easy fights because their egos can't handle losing. Now while I'm sure all of you here are in the 5%, that's also the group that likes to compete in ranked.

Personally, I can tell you how to fix ranked queues and increase queues in PVP right now. Remove Expertise. Let skill alone decide. I know a lot of PVE players who would love to queue for ranked but they either don't want to get manhandled by an Expertise maxed monster or they don't want to be ridiculed or abandoned for having PVE gear on.

I'm so confident that removing Expertise would fix so many PVP issues, I'd stake my life on it if possible and I know that the real PVP'rs wouldn't mind if they did, because they don't need a special stat advantage to win, only a competitor.

First off, Expertise has nothing to do with PvP imbalance. If you have max expertise, ie are wearing PvP gear like you are supposed to, there is 0 advantage/disadvantage from Expertise when fighting another player in max Expertise gear. The offensive and defensive bonuses cancel each other out to 0.

Getting max expertise via Conqueror gear takes 1-2 weeks tops of casual play (completing the daily and then logging off) starting from scratch, and is way faster if you stored some comms while leveling. And given what we know about Bolster, there is ZERO excuse for ever going into PvP with less than 2018 Expertise.

Removing Expertise solves nothing. Stake your life on it? LOL

Edited by cashogy_reborn

That won't fix ranked it'll finish killing it right along with Regs. People simply don't like ranked. If they did there'd be more people playing. They don't like 4v4 death matches. You're not going to force the majority to do them, but making it so people can't get top end gear in regs but have to fight against it will certainly get them to drop out. Then you won't get a queue to pop, the hard core guys move on to another game and there isn't any PVP here. Is that really what you're aiming for?

correction: they don't like grp rated. solo rated has been popping with much more consistency than either form of grp rated ever did on my server. it's far from perfect. however, adding incentives definitely spiced up solo rated.

I guess I should be pleased that we got definitive answers, it is truly disheartening to see them all be "No."

Any kind of follow ups? No.

Just no.

Tell us why? No.

Just no.

But it doesn't make sense!

No.

I love Star Wars and I love this game too much to bear all of the No.

How can things like Cross Server and Ranked 8v8's be so calmly dismissed with a No?

Cross Servers were even promised back in Pre-Season One's early days, as stated by the PVP queue window.

I know you guys are trying, are new to the MMO world, must only have less than a handful of people for Combat Development, and have a lot on your plates, but can you at least elaborate on why you won't give us those two fundamental things that would [in high probability] save this game's rapidly decaying PVP community?

Oh, right...

No.

Guys, this video pretty much sums all of Biowares answers for everything in the new few months.

Thanks Bioware, thank you for all the disheartening no's. You're making the rejections that most of these people got from either their wives not being in the mood, their girlfriends not being in the mood, or even just asking a girl out sound better.

Edited by Damsyl

Guys, this video pretty much sums all of Biowares answers for everything in the new few months.

Thanks Bioware, thank you for all the disheartening no's. You're making the rejections that most of these people got from either their wives not being in the mood, their girlfriends not being in the mood, or even just asking a girl out sound better.

hahaha xD yeah!

Best answers EVER!

Copied from ToFN forums, but they're pretty accurate:

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

Hey folks,

Will we ever be able to choose a specific Warzone to queue for?

Bla bla wall of text,.... No.

Have you considered implementing a Huttball League?

Some guy mentioned this in our office 2 years ago, but no plans for now.

Why is Bolster in Ranked PvP? Why not just require a high level of PvP gear?

This is a great question, but bads are crying, and tbh we dont give 2 fcks.

Will you be implementing Cross-server queuing?

Didnt we answer to that already? For dumbs: NO, FCK YOU and YOUR FCKING CROSSSERVER.

Will you be introducing rewards in future Seasons to recognize those players who have achieved the highest of ratings?1500 seems like a low bar for some players.

Bads crying, we listen. Fck u whats left from hardcore pvpers, we dont need u, u no bring moneys.

Will you be bringing back 8v8 Ranked Warzones?

Fck no, cant be bothered.

Are there any plans of expanding open world PvP?

what is that?

Are there any plans to address teams having healer hybrids in Arenas fighting against teams without a healer?

soloq is so competitive that we gives the same rewards to these players as for ranked group pvp. COOOOOOOOONFIRMD.

What about the issue of 3v4 matches in Arenas?

Whats wrong with that?

Matchmaking will sometimes place the same Advanced Classes on the same teams. An example would be 4 Powertechs against 4 Assassins. Are there any improvements planned here?

Such a great question, what a fcking amazing question, jesus such a wellput question OMG ITS JUST AAAAAAAAAA, but no.

Huge rating gaps between players in any given Arena match….

wall of text, no1 gives a fck.

What about players who “sync queue” to specifically play each other, AKA match fixing?

no1 cares at our office, sry, try again in 2 years.

Do you have any plans to address overpowered Hybrid builds which are present in Arenas?

L2p tards.

-eric

i was thinking more of this

Why is Bolster in Ranked PvP? Why not just require a high level of PvP gear?

This is a great question, and one we put a lot of thought into when the decision made to keep Bolster in Ranked PvP. As many of you likely know, in the past we had an entry level set of PvP gear called the Recruit set. Wearing this set into a Warzone would put you at an “entry level” for PvP. However, having Recruit gear in the game created two important factors:

1. The player needed to know that this is how PvP at max level worked.

2. The player needed to then get the gear and actually equip it.

Although this may seem like something which is obvious to many of you who are more seasoned and hardcore PvPers, these factors being missed led to many players first experience being that they got completely stomped in PvP. Although we understand that there are certainly “dues to be paid” when you play PvP, they shouldn’t come right at the beginning of someone’s PvP career. We also want the Ranked population to be as high as possible within the Level 55 bracket so we have Bolster in place so more players can participate in the system.

The best solution for this situation was a systematic approach which puts all players on an even footing when they enter the system. We know that some feel the best solution is to simply make everyone have the same gear and stats when in PvP so that it is purely a measure skill and skill alone. However, we feel that as an MMO, gear progression is a major cornerstone of its long term gameplay. We feel that Bolster takes both of those ideas into account and lands as a nice middle ground.

It is very unfortunate that Bolster has experienced issues since its implementation which certainly created pain points for our PvP community. However we will continue to work to ensure that Bolster is working as intended! I think we can all agree that having the first time you PvP be a positive experience will go to great lengths to ensuring that those folks stick around and continue to PvP!

-eric

oki so leave bolster in ranked but why not put restriction on quein for ranked that if y dont have certain pvp legacy achivements y wont able to que. f.e.from general tab in pvp section of achievements y need to have

<Highly Adaptable> <Warzone Expert> <Elite> . these are all fairly easy achievements to obtain if y played pvp for a little bit , but will at least not let total noobies from enterin ranked and killin your team

After reading this and all the whining that followed I just have one more question regarding to Open-World-PvP to ask:

Is there going to be a Change to the PvP flagging system, that finally prevents you from being flagged against your will? Or are there at least steps taken against people exploiting the system as it works at the current time?

I really feel it is high time for that, as the amount of gankers that force you into PvP by stealthing into AoE, or simply stand in your way when you fight anything ist steadily increasing. Likely there is even a connection with PvPers disheartend by the lack of world-pvp, so in order to get what they want they force PvE-players, who have no interest in it, into unfair fights.

Now, I will not start the argument about the Gree Event again, as at least the PvP flagging there gives them a bit of justification. But lately I had this happening in the Oricon Heroic area and even in the normal questing area on Hoth. And I am quite annoyed by it.

On Oricon specifically a Group of at least 3-4 Stealthers (from a certain guild who is by now well known for ganking on my server) have waited until me and a friend engaged one of the Commanders and started getting into our rotations (Vanguard Tank on my part, where Pulse Cannon is used frequently) then stepped into my cone aoe and before I could react, got flagged and the next second had 2-3 Sabers and a Knife in my back, while the Commander was happy to assist the gankers with his constant stuns.

Of course I reported them, for which I got "lol good luck with that" from them. Insult to injury, as I feel they were likely right. With the amount of ganking going on there can not be a lot happening to discourage such behaviour.

This is on an PvE/RP server of course, just to be clear. And unlike with the Gree Event they can not make the excuse of "The quest is flagged PvP, so you are meant to be stomped", it is a PvE area on a PvE server. There is no justification there.

Now as much as I feel sorry for the actual competive PvPers who do not engage in such lousy moves, I can't help but feel happy every time a PvPer leaves the game, as it always feels like a potential ganker has left and now annoys people in another game. Since I know some good PvPers who actually "hunt" for such gankers, I know this is not a fair assessment, but still...

The solution to this problem is actually quite simple (or Looks that way for me):

Just disable the option to attack/damage flagged players, unless you conciously flagged yourself by clicking on your portrait and selecting the option or of course enter a PvP area (such as the Gree one). That would solve the whole issue and PvEer would finally not have to put up with this anymore, while PvPers would get more interesting fights as only people who are actually prepared would flag themselves.

The other much more time consuming option of course is reprimanding every ganker for what they do, which halve of them will not care about until it leads to a ban.

Would appreciate an answer/comment from the Devs, Eric

After reading this and all the whining that followed I just have one more question regarding to Open-World-PvP to ask:

Is there going to be a Change to the PvP flagging system, that finally prevents you from being flagged against your will? Or are there at least steps taken against people exploiting the system as it works at the current time?

I really feel it is high time for that, as the amount of gankers that force you into PvP by stealthing into AoE, or simply stand in your way when you fight anything ist steadily increasing. Likely there is even a connection with PvPers disheartend by the lack of world-pvp, so in order to get what they want they force PvE-players, who have no interest in it, into unfair fights.

Now, I will not start the argument about the Gree Event again, as at least the PvP flagging there gives them a bit of justification. But lately I had this happening in the Oricon Heroic area and even in the normal questing area on Hoth. And I am quite annoyed by it.

On Oricon specifically a Group of at least 3-4 Stealthers (from a certain guild who is by now well known for ganking on my server) have waited until me and a friend engaged one of the Commanders and started getting into our rotations (Vanguard Tank on my part, where Pulse Cannon is used frequently) then stepped into my cone aoe and before I could react, got flagged and the next second had 2-3 Sabers and a Knife in my back, while the Commander was happy to assist the gankers with his constant stuns.

Of course I reported them, for which I got "lol good luck with that" from them. Insult to injury, as I feel they were likely right. With the amount of ganking going on there can not be a lot happening to discourage such behaviour.

This is on an PvE/RP server of course, just to be clear. And unlike with the Gree Event they can not make the excuse of "The quest is flagged PvP, so you are meant to be stomped", it is a PvE area on a PvE server. There is no justification there.

Now as much as I feel sorry for the actual competive PvPers who do not engage in such lousy moves, I can't help but feel happy every time a PvPer leaves the game, as it always feels like a potential ganker has left and now annoys people in another game. Since I know some good PvPers who actually "hunt" for such gankers, I know this is not a fair assessment, but still...

The solution to this problem is actually quite simple (or Looks that way for me):

Just disable the option to attack/damage flagged players, unless you conciously flagged yourself by clicking on your portrait and selecting the option or of course enter a PvP area (such as the Gree one). That would solve the whole issue and PvEer would finally not have to put up with this anymore, while PvPers would get more interesting fights as only people who are actually prepared would flag themselves.

The other much more time consuming option of course is reprimanding every ganker for what they do, which halve of them will not care about until it leads to a ban.

Would appreciate an answer/comment from the Devs, Eric

Yea now that all that other unimportant stuff is out of the way we need some answers on these carebear issues.

For real though, I lol'd.

Thank god they said such a resolute "No" to X-Server queues. Otherweise I know I'd be gone, never come back and not lose a single good word about the game. Cross-Server ist just good for the kind of players who really don't care who they queue with and if they see that one again.

Thank god they said such a resolute "No" to X-Server queues. Otherweise I know I'd be gone, never come back and not lose a single good word about the game. Cross-Server ist just good for the kind of players who really don't care who they queue with and if they see that one again.

Tell that to the servers who can't get ranked pops. Vast majority wants cross server.

Edited by JediMasterSLC