PVP Brackets in Makeb

revial

I've avoided the PTR because leveling every class to 55 is going to be boring enough without having already experienced the content ahead of time, but for those who were on it, I have a question:

What are the pvp brackets now in Makeb? 1-49, 50-54, 55? 1-54, 55? 1-49, 50-55?

I think it's 1-50, 51-54, 50.

Reasoning behind this maybe because they're trying to seperate the Expac users and non-Expac users. Since 51 you get your new skills so a wz from 50-54 would be a bunch of gimped lvl 50 F2Ps. Then again it'll be worse for 1-50, but there's always bolster

I have to imagine someone actually played on the PTR and knows the answer, but thanks for your hopes on the matter. :p

Edit: Dulfy has a post on his/her website from February that would insinuate the brackets will now be 10-29, and 30-54. No idea if that's still the case or not.

Edited by revial

That's awesome. So what you're saying is that come Makeb I can get together with some guildies and we can roll lower level players with crap gear until we all hit level 55?

That's so freaking awesome. More proof that BW just doesn't give a rat-F.

That's awesome. So what you're saying is that come Makeb I can get together with some guildies and we can roll lower level players with crap gear until we all hit level 55?

Don't worry! With new naked-mode bolster everything will be fine! :D

They did it so that people buy the expansion rather than remaining a twink at level 50 forever.

So what you're saying is that come Makeb I can get together with some guildies and we can roll lower level players with crap gear until we all hit level 55?.

No. Bolster is being changed so it works on gear slots instead of level.

You enter a warzone wearing last year's corduroy flares, they're buffed to grunt-grade plasteel armour (right down to having no gear at all in a slot and getting buffed up, hence comments about naked pvp). The idea is that these stats are not quite as good as earned pvp gear, but good enough to contribute. So if you still suck it's not your gear's fault.

Well, that's the theory anyway.

Edited by Wainamoinen

10-29, 30-54, 55 & 55 Ranked.

I've got a blog post coming up explaining in detail the reasoning behind these bracket changes for 2.0. Stay tuned! :jawa_biggrin:

Weird....it's almost like you were reading this forum ;)

Good to know, anxious to hear what the reasoning was/is.

No. Bolster is being changed so it works on gear slots instead of level.

You enter a warzone wearing last year's corduroy flares, they're buffed to grunt-grade plasteel armour (right down to having no gear at all in a slot and getting buffed up, hence comments about naked pvp). The idea is that these stats are not quite as good as earned pvp gear, but good enough to contribute. So if you still suck it's not your gear's fault.

Well, that's the theory anyway.

So, let me get this straight....

I've got full EWH - and now I'm going to be up against people bolstered to recruit level, but who have far fewer skills than me, and who may not have experienced lvl 50 PvP (Which is much more demanding than <50).

Also, as I pug a lot - I'm going to be teaming with them?

On one hand I'm going to be eating people alive, while simultaneously being dragged back by undergeared .... noobs, for want of a better phrase.

And for the record - yes, I eat people in recruit gear alive. I'm not boasting. I'm quite good at PvP and I have a massive gear advantage: There is only one outcome possible.

Edited by UltimateKrucible

I've got a blog post coming up explaining in detail the reasoning behind these bracket changes for 2.0. Stay tuned! :jawa_biggrin:

How about some explanation on the lack of feedback response to Sorcs for 2.0 and the abysmal state it had been left in for PVP for 2.0? Please head to our class forums and communicate with your customers about a class that is very broken in PVP. We would love to hear some of the developers insight.

Communication is key. Never forget that.

I thought we already had a yellow post explaining the reason for the split at level 30. It said it was because that's when you unlock an important ability in your skill tree that gives you more of a solid rotation.

Yes. The new Bolster will be present in all Brackets.

I think a lot of us would really appreciate it if the blog contained details about how you balanced the effectiveness of the bolster system for people with bad gear against the incentives to obtain good gear. In other words, just how good is bolster, and how much better will a bolstered level 55 in the best gear be compared to a bolstered level 55 in entry-level gear?

Did you fix Bolster so that wearing gear in PVP is still better than being naked in PVP? Or so being naked, then equipping gear once in the warzone is also not better than simply wearing the gear from the beginning?

In other words, just how good is bolster, and how much better will a bolstered level 55 in the best gear be compared to a bolstered level 55 in entry-level gear?

I think the answer is, "You will find out on Tuesday".

Last I knew, besides the obvious Bolster exploit, the core mechanic at lvl 55 was not where it needed to be. BiS PvP gear will still be BiS.

Here you go Rob.

Im in legacy gear with lvl 33 purples or less.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh590/ldogg1579/SWTORFLEET1_zps18b09e65.png

When I enter PVP, I get a 273EXP boost and AIM boost to 1289(+177) and END boost to 1210(+225)

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh590/ldogg1579/SWTORPVP1_zps5a9479eb.png

While this might be recruit level, the issue with 30-54 and 55 brackets is that the EXP boost on gear in the current system will severely outpace this bolster as the removal of the DR and the lack of gear upgrades until 55 will produce a large gear gap in the 30-54. The 55 bracket will suffer as well since the Partisan gear has more EXP and other stats than even elite WH does, let alone the Conqueror gear. I know eventually EWH will get to 55, but the intital shock might be too much for lower level or new entries to PVP to bare.

I am not sure how you solve this besides increasing the EXP boost. I understand you don't want to trivialize PVP gear, but if you are not geared in the current system, 2.0 could reintroduce some of the same gear issues we have now, where a fresh 50, without decent PVE gear, feels like a punching bag.

This is why I am hurrying to get WH gear for my VG, so my leveling from 40-55 isn't god awful..

Fr those wanting to know here was Rob's explaination a few weeks back....

Valid feedback, and something we continue to debate internally. When we talk about separating the playing population by hard lines, there are always 2 main concerns that often compete directly against each other: A)Can the players inside that bracket reasonably compete against each other, and B)Are there enough players in the bracket to keep wait times reasonably small.

We have initially chosen 30 as our new break point because that is the level in which players start having complete combat rotations (often because they've gotten a really important ability from a skill tree) and our data of who actually queues into Warzones has shown that we've got a good pool on each side of that break. We continue to analyze who is playing, however, so certainly if we ever feel like a particular PvP bracket is being starved we should make changes to it. Unfortunately, that's what we believe would happen with a 50 - 54 bracket. It might be populated initially, but would quickly become empty as players hit 55 and for everyone following the initial surge of levelers there would significantly increased wait times to get into PvP.

A number of players are concerned, reasonably I think, about the power differential between a fresh level 30 player and a current 50 player in augmented EWH gear being inside the same bracket. Our new bolster system should make those players reasonably competitive statistically, both with compensation for the lower items as well as some compensation for having fewer skill points/abilities (if you are lower level). Once we get this bolster bug fixed up, everyone should be able to see the kind of stats you are getting from the bolster and should give everyone a better basis for discussion.

Curious. How does this bolster work for 50-54 players who have a lot of expertise? Is everyone boosted to the same expertise levels (nullifying the stat)? Or does having PvP gear provide some sort of benefit?