PVP: Fundamentals

Ragetacular

also:

abuse the "m" key-- aka the warzone map

seeing where your team is and isn't on the map is a huge factor in determining where to go- where to help, where to ninja, where to do anything- if you open your map and see 6 of your teammates at a node- dont go there- go to the other node that has been abandoned or has one lonely defender

backcapping the zerg

-- dont meet a zerg head on with your own zerg - especially if yours is unorganized; leave one or two sacrificial lambs to further bait a zerg but send others to cap at the location the zerg just came from

--"all we need is some teeny tiny pewpew"- most objectives in the wz's (except hutball) require some form of capping and all that is required to interrupt a cap is the teeniest amount of damage - stop red misting on the 5v1 fight and focus your attention on the stealthy who snuck by to ninja cap- throw a saber, shoot a spark of lightening, throw a rock, pewpew a normal ranged attack- all these will stop a cap- if you are about to die near a node- throw a dot on your killer to keep him from capping, etc...

You ever played on an 8 man rated team where you can get 4 good DPS on a single target? No healer(s) can keep him up, unless there is also a guard and an AoE taunt to help.

But again, it depends on respective team coordination levels. If you can only get one or two people on the same page, stunning a healer first can work great.

Any good team will have a tank that will always swap guard and taunt. You can't simply have all your dps FF one of their dps while ignoring the healers. You have to either CC healers or have one dps stick on them to interrupt.

A great guide to a fresh player coming into PvP... definitely covers the basics.

I think what bothers me is that 40% of the players in 50 PvP and about 80% of the players in sub 50 PvP before 1.5 could learn something from this....

I'd go with 80% and 95% lol.

Edited by Smashbrother

lol thanks guys for the positive feedback. I like to imagine that one day solo-queueing won't be a miserable experience :p

I'd also like to say that I'd rather have someone in all recruit gear who knows what to do and how to help than someone in all war hero who is being dumb and not working towards objectives. (I call these people 'effectively worthless'). Gear really just helps your survivability, which then makes you even more effective in a warzone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

so some 'more advanced' pvp tactics:

if one of your teammates is capturing a turret or planting a bomb, please look for an enemy that you can stun or knockback (to keep them from interrupting your teammate).

Look for enemies with markings above their head. Marking targets is a good way to quickly identify who you should be attacking. Personally I try to mark targets the same way every game. I prefer to make 'bullseye, fire, lightning bolt, and star' markings for enemy healers. I mark 'lightsaber and gun' as strong enemy dps. I mark these because the less time these enemies spend being alive, you and your teammates will get to live longer. I will usually mark an enemy tank as 'shield' in case there is a designated enemy ball carrier or someone who is making it more difficult to kill enemy healers. It is important that when you mark enemies, dont mark different people the same marking. It removes the marking from the original target. So try to look and see if an enemy is already marked, then use a different identifier.

and seriously, stop leaving a bunker/turret undefended. IF YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE THERE, DON'T RUN AWAY!

Ancient hypergates basic strategy is relatively straightforward. One or two people defend your own pylon. The rest of your team kill enemies in the middle. If you have a pause in the fighting, try to capture and return an energy node.

good tips.

unfortunately most of the people that should be reading this a) dont read the forums or b) start reading massive wall of text and.... OH LOOK SOMETHING SHINY!

That is why he is keeping the points short and sweet.

Without good elaboration for each point, messages will not be conveyed to their highest potential. He knows that though. Unfortunately most people cannot read something and formulate their own situations/tactics/strategy that could display and valify each point.

Edited by Polymerize

ty :) can anyone come up with a guide on how to do more than 100k total dmg in a warzone? (and yes, I mean some dps players are only achieving MAYBE 30k-50k dmg through a full length warzone.) I would attempt at making a guide, but honestly I have no idea how this even happens. Maybe they dont have abilities on quickbars? Maybe they havent trained? Targeting issues? And I understand that if someone is defending, then their damage could be lower due to a lack of fighting. But the guys I am talking about have 10+ deaths and are fighting the entire game. Edited by Ragetacular

• 7 months later...
bump before this goes f2p.....

new people: learning is ok, we've all had to do it...but please listen to people in game who know what theyre talking about.....communication is how pvp is won.

Yes... Well... more often than not, the first hint of communication a new pvp player gets is "YOU STUPID NOOB ARE YOU TOO STUPID TO CALL INC? NEVER QUEUE FOR A WZ AGAIN, YOU STUPID NOOB" :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

bumping for posterity and other various strategic reasons

Hypergate was not mentioned as well as arena's.

Hypergate - The #1 priority is the Pylon. If you don't have a pylon you don't get any points. It's really that simple. The priority of the wz is Pylon > kills > cubes. Kills will consistently net you more points than cubes. If you are getting beat in kills, try and send your some stealthies, especially near when the timer is set to run out to try and stealth cap a pylon, thus the other team even though they are killing in kills, won't get points for those kills.

Arenas - decide on who to target before the wz starts, communicate with your team. Typically, if the team has a healer, you go for them. However, there are always exceptions. The guy in pve gear is a good example. They will melt uber fast against someone with full pvp. Regardless, you defintely want to focus target on someone.

I would also suggest that you try and separate a healer from a kill target. Thus if you are in a platformed area, knock the healer off and down, and kill the easy toon so the healer will have to take a lot of time to get back up there. Or knock a dps or 2 down so that you have an easier time with the healer. For example, if they have a sage healer, focus dps on a bridge on the sage. Make him bubble, then blow your knockbacks, and make them come back up to get you while you have a healer low on hps. Thus they'll either try and wait it out for dps to get back to the top or they'll have to come out of it early to drop down. Either way, you have the advantage.

In terms of other tips

Huttball. Know your abilities and the abilities of the guy with the ball. Example, Juggs and maruaders can leap to you if you are near the goal line. Take adavantage of this by being on or near the goal line. If they are in the Pit and you are a sorc, pull them up, esp if not a jug or mara. If you are a sorc, get thru the fire and bring the ball carrier with you with a pull. Extremely effective and rarely used strat.

If you are against a good opponent and try and get near the goal and if in fact you have a clear shot with no one around, hold the ball. Let your team control mid and get the ball back before you score. I made this mistake once and lost the game because of it. I scored, tied the game, the other team got the ball and ran with a full team and 3 healers spamming heals instead of waiting for the team to get in position. Valuable lesson. But know when it's appropriate and when it isn't.

As somewhat mentioned. If you are on the other side of the field and engaged and the other team with the ball is getting close to your goal line. It's not a bad idea to die. It gets you across the map in an instant, and with luck, you'll pop out early enough to stop a goal.

In lowbie pvp, it's important to leave 2 ppl defending a node. Those toons don't have their cc breakers yet and against 2 stealth, you have zero chance on defense, even against the newbiest of the newbies.

Also, in general terms, of most of the pvps. Beware of the healer that is using all delaying tactics. For example, 1 healer bouncing around and hugging the walls while 4 or 5 people try and kill one healer. In all likelihood, he's just delaying the envitable, Let's face it, one healer on a node that you have capped, isn't there to cap, he's their to delay and stall. Thus everyone else is headed mid to take that turret, while one healer is bouncing around holding 5 dps at bay because he's stalling. All it takes is keep 2 ppl back against the one healer. Sure, you probably won't kill him if he's any good. But you have the node and he doesn't. Your job is just to stop him from capping.

Beware of the stealth cap draw. epc in Alderan or Novarro Coast. The one dps or healer that draws the 1 defender away from the node, only to have a stealther sneak around and cap it while you're engaged with the staller. Especially important at the beginning of Voidstar. Stealthers will wait for initial charge and have defenders select targets and cap the node in the 1st 15 secs.

Edited by Anyakaschala

• 7 months later...