Just removed from a group for being too good

Exactly

I have no idea, myself i had none (a 4 second stun on one minute cooldown is all) i really do not know the other classes well enough to say what CC they have.

THis is extremely frustrating to me, and i am contemplating quitting the game over it its that bad.

And this it why your not that good....just because you can hold agro..do you have any ideah what the other players have to help?... there is cc just because you dont have it dont meant that others dont...

you are cinda the **** tank examples out there to be honest..

if you dont consider tank is also a leader to consider what you fully have in your party or consider that you even have a party sorry to say but this tends to be the patern as a ****** tank..

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And this it why your not that good....just because you can hold agro..do you have any ideah what the other players have to help?... there is cc just because you dont have it dont meant that others dont...

you are cinda the **** tank examples out there to be honest..

if you dont consider tank is also a leader to consider what you fully have in your party or consider that you even have a party sorry to say but this tends to be the patern as a ****** tank..

What this. guy said, OP

I think it's tempting to blame other people. I realize I have a bunch to learn. We all do, it's a new game. Try to understand some other classes. Roll them.

The (jedi guardian) tank is tough, especially before lvl 14. I was giving an assist to a guy who I thought was horrible on Esseles, but you tanks don't even really get your abilities until your teens. I realized that when I rolled one. You don't get threat until 16 and you don't get soresu and guard until 14.

Edited by cioran

Sounds like you're less "too good" and more "a complete noob"

You held threat on everything at once and died. Your job is to make sure you don't die, and that includes knowing how much damage you can take and if it levels out with the healing you're getting. So no, spamming an AOE taunt when healers can't repair that much damage does not count as being "too good"

Explain how it could have gone better.

We dont have the tools (and or crowd control, i know i dont have any at this level) like marking kill targets. Even then tho, if we had tools to mark i still would have got blown up if we didnt have CC.

My experiences in this game so far is , i LOVE single player HATE grouping with people.

I have had great success with groups, but cc is important in the Heroic 4s. You aren't going to tank everything and survive. You need cc, you need to use an offtank. DPS with heals may have to toss a spare heal or bubble out there now and again.

This is not an easy game when you get into the 4 man group stuff. It isn't hard either, you just need to have a plan and execute it. Running in, grabbing everything and tanking it alone, is no plan.

We dont have the tools (and or crowd control, i know i dont have any at this level) like marking kill targets. Even then tho, if we had tools to mark i still would have got blown up if we didnt have CC.

My experiences in this game so far is , i LOVE single player HATE grouping with people.

Target mob, right click, pick target, target mob, tank mob, Kill mob, PROFIT

You were removed for not being good enough, not too good. As tank it is your job to mark targets, know exactly what CC is available in your party, and to utilize that CC. Everyone in the group has to have a chance at failure...the tank has to mark and ensure the pull is planned out properly. The DPS have to dps without pulling aggro and follow the pull plan set by the tank, everyone has to avoid avoidable damage, etc...it sounds to me like you see your job as to just pull the mobs and if people die its the healer's fault...meaning the only person who has a chance at failure in the group is the healer.

Hate to say it, but so far, in the game, if you're having problems killing a group in ANY quest (heroic 4+, Heroic 2+ or just normal quests), you're doing something wrong.

Plain and simple, you're a tank with no real experience in tanking. Even coming from '7 years of experience of WoW' means nothing if you're making the simple mistakes you claim you are not.

As others have said, mark targets, CC/stun them. Interrupt their casts. To be honest, I breezed through all the heroic 4 and heroic 2's with a group without any issues, even with a single healer that was specced for DPS. And I can give you 1 reason why, I spent all my time in WoW playing as a tank, I know how to tank a group of mobs well, I know how to pull a single mob down a long hallway away from another group so it doesn't aggro. These are all very simple (yet very difficult to learn and understand) skills that makes a good tank. Simply jumping in and trying to hold aggro on multiple elite or strong mobs and expecting a healer to heal you through the damage really shows your lack of knowledge in regards to tanking straight away.

Put it simply, how many mobs can you kill on your own? Ok, how many strong mobs can you kill on your own at the same time? Now, how many do you think you can kill with a single healer? Suddenly, you'll realize that having more than 3 or 4 various mobs (say 1 elite and 3 strong) attacking you with 'good' gear is actually hard to heal at times.

Not trying to put you down, just open your eyes to the fact that you weren't kicked because you were too good, it's because you really don't understand the mechanics of tanking. Yes, you keep aggro, but you have to smart about it to, not just "Me warrior, me tank."

Edited by needsnoname

Did bioware intend these heroic quests to be two tanked and bouncing aggro all over the place just to survive?

No but they intended them for being done with cc abilites, which i bet you broke most of the time ;)

Some of these quests were not meant for you to aggro everything, so you were removed because you did not see your own limitations.

Edited by LinsesPreia

wow,

a lot of things are being said in this thread alot of good advice even for the non tanks out there. nice.

my comment? well saying you are too good at something is just not viable. even the best players in the world must be open minded to finding new ideas or stratagies to try out. nobody, NOBODY is perfect. and all other members of the group that was formed should respect that IMO. maybe OP used the wrong words to describe his point of view in this thread.

as a juggernaut i have alot to learn and am level 18 right now and having alot of fun trying stuff out. so my advice is to be open to comments of groupmates. they could have a point.

and to the other nontanks out there please consider that there are tanks still adapting to this kind of tanking compared to wow.

a good run is always dependant on the group that was formed. if 1 fails to communicate the whole group isnt likely to succeed. Just IMO.

ps. isnt bioware amazing for making heroics as hard as they are? just awesome!

Edited by kremzeek

this is SWTOR not WoW.

lesser mobs deal lots of damage.

all classes. i mean all. have some form of in-combat CC that work prefectly good on lesser mobs.

almost all dps have defensive shields they can use for short period of time.

make use of the 60 seconds cc. let dps kill all lesser mobs first.

Keeping aggro on everything is actually not what you are supposed to do unless you overgear the content. keeping aggro on everything will probably get you killed. i still need to fight the urge to take all aggro all the time :)

it is perfectly fine that you let dps tank and kill lesser mobs as long as it only take them a few seconds. you just make sure the healer doesn't die and make sure elites and champions hit you.

or try to hit you.

kite tanking is actually prefectly viable in a lot of cases as well...

Mark as many mobs as you have available CCs, then mark mobs for focus targets and make sure to announce these to the group. Use CC on the highest health targets (longest to kill) that are hard to position, which means ranged elites as melee mobs are easier to control.

Mark any strongs for DPS targets and don't bother tanking them if you're taking a lot of damage; the two DPS in the group should be able to kill a strong before taking much damage. Focus on building threat on the remaining elites. Focus DPS on targets from least HP to most; have the DPS kill any standards first, then strongs, then elites. As the mob difficulty class increases, its HP increases far more than its damage, so you will take less damage overall by killing the weakest first.

this reminds me of a 4 man heroic i did on tatooine, cant remember the name. republic side, rescuing people and killing a sand people chieftan for a dead jedi padawan.

we have 1 sage (damage spec i think), me (a gunslinger) and a DW jedi (sentinal i think?). we were trying to get a tank, but no one seemed interested at the time, so we decided just to head in, and I had my buddy Corso out to do the tanking.

first pulls we were wiping untill we figured out what we needed to do to get through them

1: sage would CC one of the 3 elites

2: I would then manage corso to tank the remaining 2 elites

3: me and the JK would kill off the 1-2 strongs tanked by the JK, then work on the elites, taking the CC'd one last

corso usually died because the sage was putting out damage straight into one of the elites, so i had to make sure that was the main one croso was attacking, then wouldnt get healed alot of the time.

the final boss was fun though, we swapped to the sage companion to tank, but wiped a few times. then we got a 2nd sage in, had the JK tank, and me burst down the adds when they spawned. I know that one thing that helped immensly on this last boss was me inturrupting the bosses skill, because our first wipe was because it ***** us all.

moral of the story - play to the strengths of the whole group and you can get things done.

A few comments on this topic from the viewpoint of a healer,

IMO, the number one reason why a group wipes/fails is either do to poo, or no communication whatsoever. In the many PUGs I've been part of it is rare to find a party that actually communicates with each other; from either simple explanations of possible strategy with a large group of mobs, tough encounters, (from groups of silvers to mini-bosses), to full-fledged boss fights, to assigning a kill order, or even marking CC, (CC, yes, CC!) targets.

I think under many circumstances the complexion and skill level of the group are adequate, however, the level of cohesion within the group is not. Usually, this becomes apparently after a wipe/almost wipe or two, where the group realizes the current strategy is not working. This is the difference between a party with bad strategy/approach compared with a party of bad players.

The second reason groups wipe/fail is because of poor play by an individual, or group of individuals within the group. Since this is a new game, and a Star Wars themed IP based on the critically acclaimed Knights of the Old Republic, I'm willing to assume that some of the poor play is from first time MMO'ers. So, if that is the case I'm willing to give them a wide berth as we were all new at one point.

Now when the OP said "holding too much aggro" I'm willing to believe the healers meant, (as a healer mind you), that you were most likely pulling way too quickly. I ran multiple flashpoints today, and saw several tanks do this. Even after I said, "Hey, can we not pull as quickly/Can we have 5-10 seconds between fights?" The tanks kept doing this, or worst-case immediately running off to face another group of mobs only to die while the rest of the party was regrouping, only to then ask "Where were you guys?/Why did you let me die?" Or we finally get some CC going, and they decide they really need to attack that CC'd enemy.

This post has gone on long enough, so I will close with this; if members of your party are relaying info to you, ask them what they mean, so everything is clarified. A bit of communication can go a long way.

Edited by KaiserWilson

Lets put it this way, i have never been so frustrated in a video game in my life, that includes nearly 7 years of world of warcraft...

The noobery that went down is simply mind boggling and unexplainable. At my level i am REQUIRED to bounce aggro around so i dont die, with TWO healers on me one specced for healing properly. This is a lvl 23 QUEST not even a flashpoint. I am all about team work and CC, but at this level and without proper marking tools how is that possible? Its a lvl 23 quest and i was even taking **** that i shouldnt be there, and i was lvl 23!

Posts ike this are what give tanks a bad name. It ISNT all about the aggro. You run in and pull the world and you will die-period. Some of the 4 heroics take tactics and patience. Most healers and dps have some sort of Crowd Control. Mark your targets for CC tell the dps/heals to cc then dont aggro the mobs that are cc. Burn down the rest in a priority manner then kill the CC mobs.

Its not hard. You are just a bad tank that had a bad grp. L2P

On a side note, I have tanked a lot of heroics and a few instances as a Immortal Jugg, my one bug bear is the lack of interrupts. I have 3, (4 if you count force push but i'm reluctant to use this) Very rarely the dps will interupt. Meaning at times when all mine are on CD im gonna get a big smash in the face that i cant do a jot about. Ouch.

Edited by BobbaGum

The noobery that went down is simply mind boggling and unexplainable. At my level i am REQUIRED to bounce aggro around so i dont die, with TWO healers on me one specced for healing properly. This is a lvl 23 QUEST not even a flashpoint. I am all about team work and CC, but at this level and without proper marking tools how is that possible? Its a lvl 23 quest and i was even taking **** that i shouldnt be there, and i was lvl 23!

Your level 23, trying to do a heroic 4 quest with two healers and a tank? I don't think the mobs fall over from you being healed too much. You need DPS. 1 healer, 1 tank, 2 DPS.

How do you not have any CC? What class are you playing? What class were the healers?

There is a marking system. As mentioned.

• 1 month later...

Wow, just wow.

Now I know I'm a little lower level than you, but last night I tanked a 4 man Heroic with myself (Level 17 Assassin) and a Sorcerer that was only level 14. No deaths. Just mark targets and use a little CC. Pull small groups, and try to mitigate damage however you can.

My experiences in this game so far is , i HATE grouping with people.

Pretty much my experience. I prefer grouping within my guild because most of them know whats going on. When I group outside my guild its hit or miss with their competence. As a tank though I end up telling most people what to do (kill order, cc, etc) if they don't seem to know the intricacies of pulling mobs in a group. With people I routinely play with they know what to cc and so on.

In short: Grouping with randoms demands more cooperation. With a known group everyone knows their role.

I'll often quit a group if the tank is "Doing his job too well" - Meaning the moron runs through 3 rooms and brings the mobs back to the group. :/

Have no idea that this is what you were doing w/o a screeny/video BUT yes, in the 4 man heroics, make sure you utilize Whirlwind/Flashbang/Sleep dart and even your 4 sec stuns means that 4 secs that the mob isn't hurting you!

All the heroic quests, even the hm4 ones can be duoed with ~2 healing companions, shadow tank and gunnery mercenary. That is from experience. I`m 100% sure there are a lot of other combinations that can pull this off without issues.

Wow, just wow.

Now I know I'm a little lower level than you, but last night I tanked a 4 man Heroic with myself (Level 17 Assassin) and a Sorcerer that was only level 14. No deaths. Just mark targets and use a little CC. Pull small groups, and try to mitigate damage however you can.

Typical SI. Thread necro is a dark side choice.