Vector Hyllis: Worst Romance Ever

Reluctance

Vector walks in looking sheepish. A plump Killik larva is diligently tagging along at his heels. "It just followed us home, agent. Can we keep it?"

"The fingerlings, Agent, have ceased to be as tiny as they once were. This may be a problem."

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I do tend to think girl gamers get screwed for romance in this game:

Quinn: ...Yeah, no explanation needed

Pierce: Pretty limited

Tharan: Creepy and limited

Iresso: Boring

Vector: Bugs.

Jorgan: Really?

Doc: He's a d***

Andronikos: Also a d***

Torian: He's a child

Corso: Derp!

General flirts in SW storyline: Ugly old men. And Quinn.

I think so too. But to be fair, a lot of the male romances are:

Kaliyo: EVIL skank (I love her, but I can see how

after she brings that guy back to the ship, a lot of guys are going to want her gone

Temple: Boring, then oh so creepy

Vette: Sick, twisted, and Stockholmed

Jaesa: Really demented. Just...really demented.

Ashara: Jail bait mixed with social worker. How can this go wrong?

Mako: Like dating your kid sister

Risha: Spoiled brat

Akaavi: Boring

Elara: Boring

Kira: (OKay, I have nothing bad to say about this one)

Nadia: So freaking twisted, I can't even start on it...

Although men get a lot more choices so less sympathy. But still...an awful lot of the female LIs are pretty twisted as well. (Or boring. Or, in Temple's case, both.)

Kaliyo: EVIL skank (I love her, but I can see how

after she brings that guy back to the ship, a lot of guys are going to want her gone

What always bugged me about that was that

My agent was constantly cheating on HER but somehow this never comes up in the conversation, at least not at that point (Kaliyo does say something about it later on to some degree). I'm like, ok, double standard here! But Kaliyo literally betraying me by selling off sensitive information was much harder to get over

Edited by chuixupu

Another Vector fangirl chiming in here. He is the only romance option I've ever pursued in this game, so I don't have much to compare it to. But I love him. it's not just because he's basically the only companion who works for soloing with my healing Operative. It's not just because he wears light armor and runs around looking like a wizard in robes and a staff. It's not just because I think bugs are awesome (I think H. R. Giger is a genius, and I'm a fan of the Buggers from Ender's Game).

Vector is actually a nice guy, not an "acting nice to get in your pants" guy. He doesn't have a cliched dark and traumatic past, but his alien nature is dark and different enough to keep me interested. He manages to seem chivalrous without being sexist, and he has a gift for poetry. On the other hand, I can totally see why somebody would be creeped out by him as a romance option.

I might be the only person in IA history to think this, but I thought Watcher X was probably the coolest character in the entire game. If he were a romance option, I would probably start another character just to, uh, interface with his circuits. I see him as the only person who is eye-to-eye with the Agent on everything. Of course, he is probably incapable of anything resembling romantic feelings.

With that in mind, I did choose to

kill Watcher X on Nar Shaddaa because he was messing with my homegirl Kaliyo's secrets, so I was really happy when he made a reappearance in Chapter 2.

Also, for any BSG fans out there,

a Watcher X/IA romance would make the "I'm a computer chip in your brain" sequence very Gaius Baltar. :D

I might be the only person in IA history to think this, but I thought Watcher X was probably the coolest character in the entire game. If he were a romance option, I would probably start another character just to, uh, interface with his circuits. I see him as the only person who is eye-to-eye with the Agent on everything. Of course, he is probably incapable of anything resembling romantic feelings.

You're not alone. I thought Watcher X was fascinating enough that after leveling a sniper I modeled my operative after him. I just swapped races to mask it.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm a girl gamer and I completely disagree. There's something endearing about him. and I find the things he says really poetic and it really captures my attention and imagination. his whole situation/ story is completely different than just a regular person and that's what really makes it interesting to me. I haven't reached the end yet but I'm really happy with the story so far and absolutely love Vector.

When I first found out the IA romance was a "Joiner" I wasn't too thrilled. Not a fan of bugs, insects, whatever. But I decided to give Vec a chance and get to know the character. He's effective DPS although a lot more squishy than some of the other companions. Since I'm an Operative-healer though we make a good team, him tearing them down and me doing the support. His banters get kind of annoying, but after listening to Theran's "I'm a pacifist" comments and Corso's good ole' boy's "yeeehaw's" for hours of play time, pretty much I can ignore anything.

As to the character himself, give him a chance and get to know him. The Vector romance is my favorite in the game because he is so sweet and supportive of the IA lady, and displays a remarkable vulnerability in some of his later scenes. He's used to having the support of the entire hive but his feelings for his lady are new territory for them, they can't help him with her,and he's going into scary 'feelings' territory blind.

I realize different strokes for different folks, if you don't like the character not much is going to make him appealing to you, but I don't see him that way at all. He's not my favorite character in the game, but he is my favorite romance.

• 1 month later...
I think that if anything, this thread has served to prove that Vector is possibly the best and most interesting romance in the game. :)

Which makes me sad that my IA is male and so is unable to romance Vector. ):

Eh, bromance is all there -- I always read that my Agent and Vector were good friends, maybe because they saw mostly everything eye to eye, maybe because it's written well enough it didn't seem forced, maybe both. He also is the most well-adjusted character with the least amount of inner demons, and he's a part of bug hivemind. Kind of telling about Agent's entourage, innit. :D

(Right now, I'm grinding every goddamn sidequest on goddamn Balmorra just so that I could do Alderaan before Tattooine and swap Kaliyo's bloodthirsty arse for Vector one planet earlier).

• 1 month later...
I don't need him to fart lasers and burp rainbows, it'd just be nice if he wasn't, you know, an entity forever connected to a hivemind of ants.

First time I tried to flirt with him he asked me if I would like to rub forearms with him.

I rest my case.

I cracked up reading this

what is the conv name/number i must youtube it

I just got Vector for my agent and was expecting to be let down from all the complaints I had heard about him. I actually have enjoyed his conversations so far I think he's sweet. I couldn't image my agent going home to some sort of normal guy I think with the agent lifestyle she would need someone different. I think Vector is emotional and a good balance to the agent character. But it doesn't feel forced I think he's a well done companion, something new and creative.