The reasons why all the melee classes need a serious love

Trimsic

Put this in the PVP thread instead. You dont mention 1 single PVE disadvantage being mele ?

This s just a huge complain about Crowd control in PVP.

You are right. This is the reason why I've added a fourth reason relative to the PvE.

Edited by Trimsic

If they do as you all suggest for the sake of balancing pvp, balance for PvE will be shot. You will be obligated to roll a melee class if you wish to run FPs or Operations. They will have to do a pvp-specific change in order to keep things even.

Except PVE balance between Melee and Ranged is also screwed for the reasons others have already mentioned. Having to spend half your time running out of melee range of a boss, getting hit by melee AOEs, etc., etc., means that many guilds are asking for ranged dps for operations as it generates much higher overall dps.

It isn't just a PVP issue. Ranged currently beats Melee in both PVE and PVP. Increasing Melee's damage and survivability by a moderate amount (perhaps in the region of 10%) would go a long way towards evening the playing field.

(For the record, I have 2 Melee (Scoundrel, Guardian) and 2 Ranged (Powertech, Sorceror) characters and I find playing the ranged characters absurdly easy by comparison in terms of how I can be more effective while working half as hard.)

• 5 months later...

... if they gave melee classes (knights and warriors) a speed boost with immunity to immobilization and a decent duration it would help.would be even better if they actually allowed the following of melee targets like all other mmo's in the world do. if you used the skill at the right time you could focus on damage instead of dragging your stupid mouse all over the place just trying to face the right way, and for at least a few seconds the range classes would not be able to keep their distance.

lets face it, the fact that ranged classes get automatically aimed at their targets no matter which way you look, while melee classes have to actually face their targets, is pretty stupid. when you consider that on top of the fact that knights/warriors have no defense against cc besides interrupts, they have to time the one thing that they do have perfectly, and it only works against one person. some random ranged class can just cc you at a distance and you will never see it coming, especially in mass pk.

also, i know for a fact that sentinels/marauders have certain combo's that they need to get off in order to do any sort of damage. focusing on keeping dot's on a target, or trying to keep the proc's from a stance going are not exactly easy even in a 1v1 situation. not renewing the abilities takes them off of your opponent , and in some cases there isnt much time to do it. that's all fine except that one knock-back, stun, root, or anything else can completely remove all of the stacks from your enemy by giving them time to run, or just lasting long enough for the status to wear off. if lets say, a sith marauder is stunned in the middle of a ravage(happens a lot as its a long channel) he can use unleash to get out of it, but by then whatever effects were debuffing his opponent would be gone and ravage would be on cd. melee classes are completely ineffective if any ranged player is paying attention.

last problem id like to point out is the fact that knights/warriors have to build rage. every other type of class starts out with full whatever (force or whatever the hell the gun classes have). an operative can sit back and spam his skills without worrying about building up to the good ones. bounty hunters can spam as many rockets as they want and on top of that, use a skill to release "heat" from their gun. knights/warriors have 2 skills that build a good amount of rage(one skill gives 3 rage one gives 6), but if they use them on somebody and their combo is interrupted, it leaves them high and dry with no cc to speak of and a few useless abilities to activate while they pray they don't die trying to build more rage. other classes can use all of their skills when they want, but for some reason the only class that seems to be without a heal, is also without the ability to use all of their skills when they need them.

anyways that's just me complaining, doubt any of this will ever be fixed so looks like im not playing my melee chars again.

If you believe in any way shape or form that Melee classes are getting shorted in this game please hook me up with your dealer and I'll thank you later.

I feel like I should back up this stance with some form of data, but I'm legitimately stunned that people can even feel this way. When I looked at the thread, and saw that most posts were several months old, I figured it was just that changes in the game had not been dealt with. Because without a doubt, currently, melee is the cats meow.

Melee has better mobility, survivability, and burst damage(Though Gunslinger/Sniper have very respectable burst).

The -only- fight that favours range to any degree would be T&Z. Which has a single mechanic that range can avoid, and melee would have to actually be aware of.

Honestly, if you are having any problems as a melee in the game currently, re-think your current thoughts on your class because you are doing something so very very wrong.

I don't think You've played with any really good melee players. Melee classes generally take a little more skill to pull off then a range class. But heres some things to debunk your post.

Reason 1

Sure you can root a melee class in PVP however ALL melee classes in the game have some long ranged moves with mauraders having the least ammount of long ranged moves however if they are carnage (which they should be for pvp) they can unroot themselves with their stealth and not only unroot themselves but also move up to you without you being able to attack them again until they pop out. Also every melee in the game outside of the ops have gap closers.

Reason 2

Yes melee classes do take the most damage being they are right in there however the meleee classes have some of the best cool downs in the game. Most of them are really short or really powerful.

Reason 3

Melee classes if played right should always be doing more dps then any range with similar gear. For starters most of the melee dps do more dps to begin with just as a class and most important they get more time on target. While ranged are moving around the ranged classes are still on the boss attacking while dodging AOE damage and being all melee do almost all instant casts they are hardly affected.

Reason 4

once again in raids they do way more damage then ranged can in almost all situations (unless they suck) And played correctly with good tanks they should never be getting cleaved.

For these reasons at least, the melee classes need a serious love. The suggestions are:

- Melee tank classes should take less damage in defensive forms (and deal little damage)

They all have AOE damage reducers in their still tree outside of ops

- Melee tank classes should be more efficient in protecting (guarding) their team mates.

Thats the tanks job

- Melee DPS classes should deal more damage in offensive forms.

They are the best dps in the game outside of assasins

- Melee classes should be less affected by crowed control effects in general, as they are both affected by movement impairing effects and mez / stun effects.

Everyclass in the game gets a CC breaker and in some cases they get two

I could understand why you might feel they need some love but the fact of the matter is playing melee dps in almost all games is just allot harder and this game is no exeption. If you are having trouble just reroll a sniper.

IThey are the best dps in the game outside of assasins

DPS output doesn't matter one bit if you are unable to survive long enough to dish it out. I will furthermore point out that with the exception of shadows/assassins, melee tanks are literally the absolute worst tank in the game. Yes they can be used, but they have quite a few glaring weaknesses than vanguards do not share.

Furthermore, we can't use our dps when we're having to dodge aoe attacks in PvE or PvP. This game seriously favors ranged classes over melee classes in pretty much every area, and hiking damage numbers probably won't help things. The key issue is lack of ability to take hits.

I'm going to tackle the PvE side of things here:

1. Jugs

As a tank, not really.

As a DPS? Yes, they do. I've seen people kick a Jug from a LFG group for being a dps role.

2. Assassins.

As a tank? No. [see: Stevoo's Tanksassin solo HM Malgus]

As a dps? No. (Though they're not 100% melee).

3. Mara's?

Not meant to tank, they're a pure dps class.

As a dps? They can outdo any Assassin or Sorc for dps when they're played right.

DPS output doesn't matter one bit if you are unable to survive long enough to dish it out. I will furthermore point out that with the exception of shadows/assassins, melee tanks are literally the absolute worst tank in the game. Yes they can be used, but they have quite a few glaring weaknesses than vanguards do not share.

Furthermore, we can't use our dps when we're having to dodge aoe attacks in PvE or PvP. This game seriously favors ranged classes over melee classes in pretty much every area, and hiking damage numbers probably won't help things. The key issue is lack of ability to take hits.

The class with the most survivability of all is a melee dpser, which sorta throws your whole hypothesis off.

I'm in complete agreement. Melee classes take more damage because they're in the absolute thick of things and yet for the most part they're squishy. They also don't deal nearly enough damage to make up for the fact that they have to spend time wading in to get to their target.

yup i agree, sentinals way underpowered, to much time not dishing it out, and not enough when i get there. I know they wanted to make it so not everyone instantly rolled jedi, but i think its gone to far, sentinal should be a big dealer of damage.

Maybe they need to change there dps testing to something other than a training dummy.

sentinals way underpowered

You're kidding right? Sentinels, if played right, are probably some of the most powerful in PvP. Extremely annoying if nothing else, their survivability is pretty ridiculous for a non-tank class with medium armor.

Edited by iamglass

I cant agree with you AT ALL gp pvp more and i dont mean doing 5 matches ....the Melee classes do as much if not more in WZ's si as far danage they are fine according to the numbers there. To say they dont CC's well what lvl are you and do you know how to play the class. Melee classes do fine and infact most want Maras for they damage they do. Or are you just trolling?

The one thing I don't understand is that in other games, melee classes have far superior damage to ranged classes because of the liabliity of being in melee. Here in SWTOR it seems to be the opposite. Ranged classes not only have the better abilities, but do higher damage as well. (See Commandos/Mercenaries).

Tell me why again was a ranged class given heavy armor, shields, armor reduction abilities, the ability to self heal, knockbacks, and high damage?

It's like pre-nerf Paladins on steroids. AT least paladins were melee....this is ridiculous.

mercs don't have shields