Community Q&A – April 6th 2012 Blog Discussion

JovethGonzalez

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Austin: Many of the class story bosses are intentionally very difficult. This is something that all classes face and is not unique to Smugglers. The fact of the matter is that Scrapper DPS is closer to target in 1.2. Understandably, if you were already struggling with an encounter, you may view this as an undesired change. For clarity, we don't agree that this is "unfair" for "pure PVE" players as the changes are not meant to (despite popular perception) specifically target PVP over PVE.

I still say that the nerfs in 1.2 will backfire...especially for commando... :( I wish we had specific skill trees for PvE and PvP and be completely independent of each other.

Hey, my question got answered! :eek:

:D /getdown

It's good to hear Bioware hasn't forgotten about our poor Sniper Rifle-using companions. At least in 1.2 we'll be able to keep their gear up to snuff by ripping barrels out of excess Smuggler weapon drops.

Edited by Giolon

CamoCladn: If I reverse engineer orange items, will I be able to obtain the schematics for them in Game Update 1.2? It would be great if I can get schematics to attempt to get augment slots as this would grant the ability to look just like I want.

Patrick Malott (Systems Designer): While in reverse engineering mode, items that can provide research variations will display a ‘Chance to Research a Schematic: x%’ tooltip. Otherwise, the tooltip will read “No Research Available.” Reverse Engineering to get Armormech Schematics pertains to the new endgame tier of Operation items and PvP Battlemaster/War Hero items.

This conflicts with some (potentially obsolete) information I've seen floating around, so, apologies for the request, but if the details of this could be "driven home harder", I'd appreciate it.

1) If Orange Battlemaster/ War Hero gear can be reverse engineered for an orange schematic, how does this coexist with the seperately purchased and valor-required orange schematics for these models that are bought off the vendor?

2) I had read a quote earlier that "Purple modded gear could almost always be reverse engineered" in this way. Is this quote implying that this is not true, and that this modable-purple-armor-reverse-engineering is exclusive to these specific items?

Edited by Jagrevi

Many of the class story bosses are intentionally very difficult. This is something that all classes face and is not unique to Smugglers. The fact of the matter is that Scrapper DPS is closer to target in 1.2. Understandably, if you were already struggling with an encounter, you may view this as an undesired change. For clarity, we don't agree that this is "unfair" for "pure PVE" players as the changes are not meant to (despite popular perception) specifically target PVP over PVE.

Not exactly happy to hear this, since it basically says that you still viewed scrapper DPS as too strong post 1.1, even though the player base generally feels that scrapper isn't competitive to other DPS on a PVE level. Just too much of it is front loaded, which doesn't help during the prolonged boss fights.

Zilvra: I have a level 32 Scoundrel Scrapper. I am already having problems killing my on level bosses due to the 1.1 nerfs. What will the 1.2 nerfs do to me in PVE? It seems really unfair to the purely PVE players when the nerfs hit?

Austin: Many of the class story bosses are intentionally very difficult. This is something that all classes face and is not unique to Smugglers. The fact of the matter is that Scrapper DPS is closer to target in 1.2. Understandably, if you were already struggling with an encounter, you may view this as an undesired change. For clarity, we don't agree that this is "unfair" for "pure PVE" players as the changes are not meant to (despite popular perception) specifically target PVP over PVE.

Feel free to disagree all you want, but just know that when your customer is expressing their view of the class, and you "disagree," you are dismissing their complaint and alienating not just that customer but everyone who feels how they do and reads your response.

Let's remove most of the text and look at what was said:

DPS Scoundrel: You nerfed my DPS in 1.1, and now I am struggling. You are nerfing my DPS more in 1.2. I assume this is due to PvP, since I am struggling at PvE without the new nerfs, and this seems unfair.

Bioware: We disagree. Working as intended. Your numbers are now closer to our targets.

Gotta love it.

Every time you hear them mention targets you have to appreciate the beauty of that explanation. "We have secret targets we can't tell you, and we have lots of data, and you just have to trust us that we will adjust your class until the data meets the targets." This can justify an change at all with no need for any discussion or interfacing with the users.

It's even better when you realize that they can change the targets at will with no need to mention it. Presumably all of the classes were meeting their targets at launch. They had a large number of people in Beta, plenty of data to see what numbers classes were putting out. Then they nerf Sc/Op DPS in 1.1 and it is now "closer to our targets." Yet somehow, with all of their metrics, models, data, and targets, they need to nerf them again in 1.2.

I like numbers. I like models, and metrics. I think they are valuable tools to use in planning a game like this. You know what I like more? Transparency. If you claim to have more metrics and data than any Development Team ever before (and they did make this claim in one of the pre-launch videos) but you keep making major nerfs because things aren't lining up, it really makes people question the quality/existence of your metrics, data, and targets. Secret data and secret targets quickly start to sound a lot like your mom saying "Because I said so!" when she knows she doesn't have a good reason.

Edited by RuQu

I notice that there have been 2 Q&As so far, and basically no mention of the massive changes to healers. There has been a massive healer outcry on the forums.

Did this healer protest somehow get overlooked when you were looking for questions?

Were they not asking loud enough for an explanation?

Or are the Devs simply choosing to ignore the problem because admitting you made a massive miscalculation is somehow more embarrassing than ignoring it and dealing with the consequences?

The 3/23 Q&A said simply "we nerfed you because we thought you needed nerfing. We'll take a look at adjusting the changes though." Not exactly the kind of insightful explanation people were hoping for. We kind of assumed you thought we needed it. If you are nerfing classes randomly that might be a problem. The issue is that some of the nerfs, like Commando healing, do look random! We wanted explanation, with data, and design philosophy and some exposition on what you think the class should be doing and how exactly it isn't doing that. We wanted to know why you decided to nerf it in the most boring way possible, by crushing SCC and making Ammo micro-management the core of gameplay instead of simply reducing throughput via coefficient changes.

And those adjustments? You backed off on Noble Sacrifice damage slightly and gave Commandos a battle rez. Thanks, we're gonna need it as people start dying from our inability to heal them.

And what of these under the hood changes that you guys keep claiming are out there but no one has seen any evidence for? No more details on those, either, huh?

You have a lot of angry healers, and they are asking a lot of angry questions. I guess healing is less important than answering 6+ questions in the last two weeks about how crafting and reverse engineering will work, some of which were practically reworded from the previous week.

That's okay, I'm sure the game will run just fine without healers so long as people have a really clear understanding of how to reverse engineer orange gear.

It is shocking that they can even contemplate putting a bugged smart camera into the game in 1.2, really? you are actually thinking it is ok to put in a bugged smart camera and then patch it at a later date? woah this is a new level of foolishness.

1) If Orange Battlemaster/ War Hero gear can be reverse engineered for an orange schematic, how does this coexist with the seperately purchased and valor-required orange schematics for these models that are bought off the vendor?

I was wondering this also, then I came to the conclusion that the dev did not know what he was talking about. We will prob get an update message like "oh sorry I was misinformed blah blah"

Edited by System_TOR

I wonder what they say to each other when they skip the obvious questions we want answered to give us answers to questions most of us could not care less about. Is this practice something that's done, but not discussed around the office out of shame? Or, maybe they give each other high fives and laugh at the fact that they have the power to answer questions we are actually concerned with, but instead answer 3 more questions about reverse engineering...

I am very concerned about DPS Scoundrels in PVE. This mysterious "target" they keep referring to is such BS. It is the perfect response to give because it insinuates that they are fine tuning our DPS now and it is close to perfect, when in reality they must know that the Scoundrel/Operative class is screwed up. In PVP I have no complaints. Scrapper Scoundrels do just fine for what their role is. However, in PVE, specifically Operations and HM flashpoints, Scoundrels are a joke. Sustained DPS is impossible and I have to weave in flurry of bolts so much to keep my energy regeneration up that I barely do any DPS. My balance sage, on the other hand, can continuously pump out huge damage with TK Throw and presence of mind procs, (though the rotation is so boring and repetitive) virtually ensuring never ending power... Both of these advanced classes, specced this way, are considered DPS, and Bioware claims that they should be within 5% damage of each other. This is such a joke. Scrapper Scoundrels far out damage the DPS specced Sage for a very short burst, then DPS drops way down. In case Bioware forgot, Boss encounters in Operations last about 5 minutes. The Scrapper Scoundrels' good DPS is spent in the beginning of the fight, forcing it to use Flurry of Bolts mostly the rest of the time. All other classes can pump out high DPS throughout the whole fight! How about you address this problem. I am sure the answer to why DPS Scoundrels are so terrible in PVE would be much more interesting than the rubbish you choose to discuss in these laughable Q&A sessions.

It is shocking that they can even contemplate putting a bugged smart camera into the game in 1.2, really? you are actually thinking it is ok to put in a bugged smart camera and then patch it at a later date? woah this is a new level of foolishness.

We have a bugged smart camera now. It's my understanding that 1.2 allows us to toggle it off. However, using some skills forces the non-smart camera to recenter, which is a bug.

Another round of questions already answered. Since when is the Q&A supposed to be bug report?

The Q&A responses are PR, and they get publicity on the numerous game tracking websites. They aren't allowed to answer anything that would cast the game in a negative light.

That the only questions they could find that don't reflect terribly on the game and 1.2 are repeats of the previous week and bug reports speaks volumes.

They answered the sever mergers question in the PAX Q&A (Its on MMOC) but they gave their usual BS response.

To translate what they said into what they really meant their answer was We are very slowly working on it but we are lazy and incompetent and by the time we get it in the game everyone who wanted it will have left for Guild wars 3 or Diablo 4

Edited by DarthZaul

They answered the sever mergers question in the PAX Q&A (Its on MMOC) but they gave their usual BS response.

To translate what they said into what they really meant their answer was We are very slowly working on it but we are lazy and incompetent and by the time we get it in the game everyone who wanted it will have left for Guild wars 3 or Diablo 4

link? I tried googling MMOC, but all I really found was the Morris Miner's Owners club

The Q&A responses are PR, and they get publicity on the numerous game tracking websites. They aren't allowed to answer anything that would cast the game in a negative light.

That the only questions they could find that don't reflect terribly on the game and 1.2 are repeats of the previous week and bug reports speaks volumes.

QFT.

Im highly dissapointed. The way BW is handling this game made me hate them. I play SWTOR becouse its Star Wars but definitely wont buy any other BW games.

Zilvra: I have a level 32 Scoundrel Scrapper. I am already having problems killing my on level bosses due to the 1.1 nerfs. What will the 1.2 nerfs do to me in PVE? It seems really unfair to the purely PVE players when the nerfs hit?

I would be interested to know what this Scrapper Scoundrel is using for his companion? I mean I was owning stuff when I leveled mine during the past month and a half. I used Corso which I know most people hate him but honestly you need a tank companion to do real damage. I see people trying to level Scoundrels with a healer/dps companion which basically is horrible. You lose so much damage without backblast you are basically slowly dying while taking ages to kill something. You really need to use a tank companion. If you pull agro off it you just surrender and go back to using backblast.

Once you get Shoot First its really easy to level you just have to not be lazy and use it at the start of every fight. Also you need to work to keep your tank companion geared as well as you can which makes a huge difference.

No one disagrees that class story bosses should be difficult. But not so much that you have to level 3 or 4 levels above the boss level to have a fair chance.

Many solo and causual players do struggle to complete their class story for their level. And now you are making it even harder. Remember the boss is for the players level.

You may not feel that these changes in 1.2 is unfair. But thousands of players think it is. So now thousands are outnumbered by 1 person or a small group of people. Your more likely to be wrong rather than the masses.

You say 1.2 is not meant to target PvP over PvE, again your wrong. Warzones, Operations, Hutt Ball is all designed for PvP. And these are the main new additional content. No where in 1.2 is anything on this scale for PvE. Where is the new class story quests, there is none. The major changes to crafting is geared to PvP, thats not adding or helping PvE players. So what specificlly is for PvE.

You hold a summit, who is it that was mostly invited, guild leaders from PvP guilds. Who did you accept to copy charater to Test Server, PvP players. If there is PvE high end content being added why was not PvE players not invited to test the new PvE high end content. I will tell you, again its all about PvP.

Due to the fact that you are pushing aside PvE, Causual players, no real PvE content being added, I have cancelled my Sub. (this was couple days or so ago) You can check my account and see for yourself that I have indeed canceled. Nor have I logged in much in the past couple weeks or so. So again there was no point in continuing to sub this game.

Edited by ebunts

link? I tried googling MMOC, but all I really found was the Morris Miner's Owners club

By MMOC, probably referring to http://www.mmo-champion.com

I didn't find the merge comment there, but this was posted on Darth Hater from the Q&A:

Q: Our server is currently low on the population rung. We''ve lost people, can we get transferred to another server?

A: James Ohlen - Number one priority, coming soon. It's not as easy as it seems.

No one disagrees that class story bosses should be difficult. But not so much that you have to level 3 or 4 levels above the boss level to have a fair chance.

Many solo and causual players do struggle to complete their class story for their level. And now you are making it even harder. Remember the boss is for the players level.

You may not feel that these changes in 1.2 is unfair. But thousands of players think it is. So now thousands are outnumbered by 1 person or a small group of people. Your more likely to be wrong rather than the masses.

You say 1.2 is not meant to target PvP over PvE, again your wrong. Warzones, Operations, Hutt Ball is all designed for PvP. And these are the main new additional content. No where in 1.2 is anything on this scale for PvE. Where is the new class story quests, there is none. The major changes to crafting is geared to PvP, thats not adding or helping PvE players. So what specificlly is for PvE.

You hold a summit, who is it that was mostly invited, guild leaders from PvP guilds. Who did you accept to copy charater to Test Server, PvP players. If there is PvE high end content being added why was not PvE players not invited to test the new PvE high end content. I will tell you, again its all about PvP.

Due to the fact that you are pushing aside PvE, Causual players, no real PvE content being added, I have cancelled my Sub. (this was couple days or so ago) You can check my account and see for yourself that I have indeed canceled. Nor have I logged in much in the past couple weeks or so. So again there was no point in continuing to sub this game.

/facepalm

someone should tell him about the new 4 man and new operation......or the new dailies....oh dear

In regards to the first response to the PvP commendations:

Given that most of the time (90%) all I get from the battemaster bags are the champion commendations, do you have any plans to support the more driven PvPers who are still trying to claim the battlemaster commendations for gear? For instance, would it be feasible to code in a trade-in for warzone commendations or something similar in 1.2 please? I'd rather utilize them to get the pieces I've been trying to get...

You advise spending all these before 1.2, but I find this response utterly unappealing to the masses who have acquired hundreds of champion comms but very few, if any, battlemaster comms.

Thank you for shedding some light on member inquiries, no matter how awful...

Edited by SithIntraining

I think the real problem is that Bioware has a PVE MMO on their hands, with only a modicum of PVP content, and they've now realized what a mistake this was to begin with. Yet, they refuese to cut their losses; this game will never rival real PVP MMO's, it doesn't even have a mechanism for realm v realm, something MMO's have been doing for almost a decaade, and still they insist on having a very PVP-heavy game update, with little word on more PVE.

While there's nothing wrong with continuing to improve PVP, they should really be focusing on cranking out more content for PVE. 1 new Flashpoint and 1 new Operation after a 3 month wait? Unless you have something else up your sleeve for the PVE players, you're going to start losing them as fast as the PVP players. A lot of us are done (or close to done) with everything that you can do in EV and KP, and dropping to one raid night a week to clear Explosive Conflict will kill our guild (and many like us), unless you have something coming out very shortly after 1.2 launches.