A thought (pvp)

Raazmir

So, this is kind of half inspired by Melyn's sALTerday things and I thought i'd throw the idea out to get kicked around and/or down a bit. There's always a lot of griping about clueless people in warzones, i'd be lying if i said i didnt grit my teeth about it on occasion myself (despite sometimes being clueless myself).

If an audience could be drummed up, would there be interest from some of the more veteran and successful pvpers in having a kind of "pvp workshop" in ilum? It would basically have to spread via word of mouth since you cant count on lots of new people stumbling across it on the forums, and I'd imagine the % of people who are honeybadgers about the whole thing is pretty high, but I feel like the community could benefit from some cross discussion on basic warzone strategies, the reasoning behind them, speccing, gearing and education about classes other than their own with demonstrations.

We could basically have a focus on a warzone and a class/spec combo each time we did it.

This is a good idea. I recall offering to group with new PvP'ers before F2P hit to "show them the ropes", but only spammed it on Pub fleet. I'm still willing help out any Pubs with getting the hang of WZs if any are interested.

Aikon, I'll take you up on those PvP lessons.

As for the lessons though, I like the idea of a PvP clinic on Ilum, but I think it would also be a good idea to get some video guides put together. On Ilum you can teach certain skills like 1v1, healing, peeling, and so on, but I think strategy is best taught in the context of the match. Things like the importance of peeling, how to read the map to predict a mismatch or watching health bars to see where needs help that hasn't been called.

The other thing I think works well, or is at least how I learned a lot, is from the really good players. I learned some very valuable lessons in my early days of PvP from the likes of Melyn, Flux and Desii. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people in PvP who just don't listen to anyone, but hopefully we can get some people learning.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people in PvP who just don't listen to anyone, but hopefully we can get some people learning.

I don't mean to be a downer, but my experience with this sort of thing is that the people who want to learn, do, while your breath will be wasted on the people who want nothing to do with hearing that they're not the best player they could be. There're two basic types: players who will respond to criticism by asking themselves if it's true, testing the advice, and so on, and players who'll verbally / textfully glad-hand you while ignoring everything you say. Sad, but that seems to be the way of things.

Personally, I'd still welcome videos w commentary from great pvp'ers :p

Mk'

this is pretty much how we are recruiting ppl... the core of my guild, all be it, we are small, but how we work is we train and pass around ideas. when we have the new guys or even the prospects we try to change their minds on how they do pvp and show them the way we do pvp.

So, I really think it would be great to have a server wide thing, but it would really fall on deaf ears unfortunately. But, I do honestly think if you are a hardcore pvp'er that you should find that knowledge with a decent pvp guild or not even that but a person in your respective guild should be able to organize or even have a healthy conversation within your guild.

I know how Revenge does business is a little different where we are little more personal and one on one with our pvp'ers and have discussions until they get it or they don't. Sadly, some people just don't get it. If you or some people wanna hangout with us in vent or something let me know we're cool people that are good at being objective and helping out ^_^

Maybe I will finally get people peeling off of me when I am healing.......n'ah.

I think some of the PUG players think I like 4 lightsabers in my face at all times from the 2 sentinels that have decided to man mark me the entire WZ. At least it keeps me on my toes :)

On topic, this sounds like a great idea and if done correctly on Ilum you could setup matches, i.e. 2 v 1, 3 v 2, teach people to not group up to be smashbomber fodder etc....

Edited by bsbrad

So i totally understand and agree that there are a lot of people who wouldn't buy into it, wouldn't change anything about their spec, gear or playstyle and would just generally be jerks about the whole thing. I just don't believe those are the people who would stop hanging out in fleet long enough to fly to ilum and be a wet blanket there.

The benefit of being there in a large group as opposed to vent includes being able to demonstrate abilities and describe them to people unfamiliar with particular classes.

I do appreciate the offer hulc and may take you up on it at some point but I'm going to keep trying to drum up support for this for a while longer. I think the server as a whole would benefit if we can pull it off.

• 2 weeks later...
Truthfully I'd kind of given up hope that there would be interest in this from people I would feel comfortable pointing newbies to for pvp advice. Since we seem to have a little interest from some of the pvp vets, when would be a good day to try to cobble this together. I'm generally off all day weekends + monday mostly and evenings past say six pm pacific. If we can come up with a solid day to do this I'll start trying to drum up some interest in a pvp roundtable in general impside.

Well its not exactly a bad thing, as many of the people who consider themselves vets either don't know how to properly itemize their gear, or don't really have sound strats. Almost everyone here has learned through trial and error, and that remains the best way to improve yourself. Along with observation.

Yea I've considered this myself. If we got one or two veteran players of each class we could get some pretty good knowledge around about the basics of pvp. I mean honestly it isn't hard it would take all of 10-15min to explain simple and some complex things about each warzone and then you can teach them the basics of their class. The veteren players could even go as far as to make epic, descriptive, and easy to understand videos for each class and post them on youtube and link them here on the forums. Explaining their best uses, specs, and even that classes weaknesses. I say we do it. In the end do you have more fun winning a 600 - 0 three cap in civil war or would you rather see awsome games go to 10 - 0 and have the epic win. It would be woth the time in the end.

Well its not exactly a bad thing, as many of the people who consider themselves vets either don't know how to properly itemize their gear, or don't really have sound strats. Almost everyone here has learned through trial and error, and that remains the best way to improve yourself. Along with observation.

You have to admit that there is a certain point where "any improvement is good improvement". The double experience weekends are going to be sending people up to 50 and into the warzones with even less time to trial and error their way into learning their class. It can get REALLY frustrating to solo que some times. If that can be relieved in any way we'll start to see less warzones where it's a 4 man, a 3 man, and someone else. Making the knowledge readily available can only increase the competitiveness of our server.

Worst case scenario it's a forum for a bunch of people who pvp to get together and talk about pvp without waiting for post times on the forum, or having to log into cross faction alts. Community building n ****.

Yea but I'll admit this is my first MMO. I never touched WoW or Guild Wars. The closest thing I came to a MMO was Runescape. I learned from someone named "Prototype" on Vrook Lamar. I sucked....ASSS! I didn't know the ability 'deflection' on my assassin was a buff:eek:. I mean you have to remeber F2P came in like October I think, don't know if that is right, but anyway players havn't had the experience of going against other classes and the opportunity to play some alts and learn the ropes for themselves. Teaching people the basics is the first step. I mean is it hard to teach a new assassin how to solo gaurd on civil war? No. It's relatively simple, if you get into the nitty gritty they need to know there class, but they just have to be able to hold long enough for help. It would be pretty epic to see a random player you never heard of come into a civil war and be able to hold the node alone till help arrived without him standing on the turret and getting ninja'd. Just telling them to wonder around, not stand in one place, and if someone trys to cap 'mes' them and call 'inc #'. You could add sugar and cherry on top if you tell them the assassin tanking spec for dps geared players. (Wow I learned how to play an assassin well!:cool:) How hard is that to say to someone? It really isn't, in my opinion.

P.S. I really was serious in my privious post about those videos. If anyone wants to do that sometime I'd be up for it. I can Fraps.

Edited by ericthenut

P.S. I really was serious in my privious post about those videos. If anyone wants to do that sometime I'd be up for it. I can Fraps.

I wouldn't mind helping ot contribute .. atleast from a warrior stand point

~ this program overwolf is sorta an all in one type overlay system with recording capabilities. I find it a little better than fraps, and it's free.

Edited by hulcalan

Yea I've considered this myself. If we got one or two veteran players of each class we could get some pretty good knowledge around about the basics of pvp. I mean honestly it isn't hard it would take all of 10-15min to explain simple and some complex things about each warzone and then you can teach them the basics of their class. The veteren players could even go as far as to make epic, descriptive, and easy to understand videos for each class and post them on youtube and link them here on the forums. Explaining their best uses, specs, and even that classes weaknesses. I say we do it. In the end do you have more fun winning a 600 - 0 three cap in civil war or would you rather see awsome games go to 10 - 0 and have the epic win. It would be woth the time in the end.

If the demand is there I wouldn't mind making a few videos regarding specs and gear optimization.

People have been asking me to do a sentinel vid lately. I guess I can do something. What exactly did you have in mind Defense?

Edit: I think we should hold off on the class vids. With 2.0 coming around the corner, itemization and rotations are going to be changing, as well as some class balances.

Edited by PoliteAssasin