Whatever you do, please don't add a LFG system

donkeykongjr

Doesn't sound like you've actually played wow and used the LFG to me. Not at all. The closest thing I've ever seen to a ninja is someone who needs something for the spec they're not doing the dungeon in, which isn't ninjaing. OK here we go again, more wow in this "swtor" forum. CAN'T ninja in wow. If an item can't be equipped by you a player CAN'T need on it.

Sorry, but I pretty much stopped right there when you left out that big gaping hole called Dual Spec.

"I Needed it because I may want to change my DS (Dual Spec) to Tank, and that's why".

or

"I Need it for my off spec".

You Need it for what you may use, you Need it for your DS, you Need it because some time later down the line if you feel like it you may be able to use it.

If that is Not a Ninja move right there, when someone may very well Need that Item Right Then and There for the spec they are using, I'd like to know what you call it?

It's bad enough that the people are confused on Need/Greed/Companions as it is without the extra anonymity muck to wade through.

Edited by Esproc

Right, cause looking at the fact that it takes 2 weeks to go from level 1, to Heroic raids with everything handed to you along the way isn't looking through rose tinted glasses right? What do you do with a game that lasts 2 weeks? you play through it, and you quit because you didn't have any challenge and there is nothing left for you to do. What happens with a game that takes you 4 months, blood, sweat, and tears? you play it a lot longer and by then a content patch comes out, extending the game, or you play it over because it was challenging and exciting.

I could level a character in WoW from 1-85 in two weeks. Same here. But I have a life and responsibilities now and I'm not some arthritic, carpal tunnel ridden victim of the internet making me gain weight, insert mcdonalds made me fat joke here. I played WoW from the time servers went live until about 3 months ago when i saw they were putting a Pokemon feature into the game. I'm tired of soloing in a MULTIPLAYER game. If i wanted to solo I would play Skyrim.

I never once posted on WoW's forums about how stupid these threads are, but this one really upset me for some reason. I want to be able to hop on, zen out and play the game a bit, then log off.

Sorry, but I pretty much stopped right there when you left out that big gaping hole called Dual Spec.

It's bad enough that the people are confused on Need/Greed/Companions as it is without the extra anonymity muck to wade through.

Yeah, people anti-everything often do have a habit of not reading anything or learning about what it is they are against. Or considering other people, for that matter.

You do realize the dual spec is already an issue right? Because you can respec? And you do realize that you can ignore people on other servers which means you'll never see them again, right? And you get to know entire servers in general like which ones are good and bad etc and a lot of people from other realms right? And make friends with people from other servers right? And what's this there was no ninja-ing or less of it before LFG? And sorry but get this right. I've run literally HUNDREDS getting close to thousands of pugs in LFG cross server and I've never seen this ninja problem which is so "rampant" it's considered a "reason" not to bring players together. No offense but the Ninja list didn't start with LFG. and it exists in raids which are NOT cross-realm. And players get burnt over and over again by the SAME people. Why? Because if your stuck with that person it comes down to do it with a ninja but accept you probably won't get the gear or not at all. That and we don't KNOW every single ninja.

You talk about player problems as a reason to discourage players actually playing the game? Your reasoning is so bizzarre. Let's not implement systems or buttons which grey out if you don't NEED an item and it's not for you or anything and only let you greed on it. I guess adding a "Companion" button which either that or "Greed" is the only one you can do. Or dual-spec or people respeccing constantly? Make it so you can only roll "need" on the items for your current roll.

Reasons other games aren't so specific in limitations set on players? Budget constraints. What exactly is the excuse in the case of this one?

I really can't get over this one. "Bioware, please don't let us play with other players in this MMO and don't let them be able to play with other players because they're all so horrible and especially people that play on different realms to me!!!!" So just who are the sociable people here and who are the anti-social ones? Remind me again please

Edited by Darnu

So I know a lot of people have been asking for a LFG system, but I implore BioArts to not incorporate one into the game. I still to this day believe the LFG system is what caused the downfall in the WOW community. Back before the LFG system was in place, everyone knew who the "ninjas" were on the server, guilds were large, and people played with and got to know each other. You did dungeons, raid, got attuned together, and now you log on for 2 hours a week to do your LFR run where you need on everything you can (because you can) and log off. All accountability has been lost in WOW, and I fear a similar system would have a similar outcome in this game too.

Please don't make the entire community suffer, due to the 10% who don't take initiative to be in active guilds, yet complain that they can't find anyone to do Flashpoints with.

To those of you who scream you need a button that puts you in a queue, you DO NOT! What you need an active guild and you won't even need to wait the 20 minutes the LFG system would take.

I agree with you and remember fondly server groups on WoW, how your reputation as a honourable and decent player got you invited back regularly to groups, how many new friends I made doing PuGs. Understandably some people want a LFG tool on SWTOR because of limited time to play, or they just don't understand the skill of networking well enough, or one of many other reasons, but it does detract from the social aspect of the game.

Here's the thing, right. Realistically this game absolutely cannot function without one. There AREN'T enough players not to have one. If you really want to bring numbers into it, I play on a server where most recent stats collected show 300 people over level 30 on server shutdown day and 1100 and 1200 on peak days with the vast majority on at the same time. Still, this does not and has never meant you were guaranteed to get what you wanted to do in a day. And it never, ever has.

Numbers were similar prior to LFG. The mantra in TBC? It was an incredibly elitist game. In Vanilla? Raid or die. Did people expect to complete any group content every day? Not unless they were in an elitist guild. Did being active and talkative and spending the entire days talking to people guarantee you'd be able to do something? No.

Gearing up and attuning players to create community? The dramas involved with changing a guild being such a massive deal (legendary weapon comparisons pale) tore communities apart. Meeting players out in the world, in the cities, from playing around etc? It still happens. Player reputations? If anything is to blame, possibly changing names and realms have been mentioned. BUT, the community has NEVER been a Utopia. It was NEVER peaceful. It has NEVER been an environment where as a new player you could just walk into a guild and be handed everything on a platter anymore than it is now. And for all that, if anything cross-server has brought the servers closer together. No longer are we confined to only having ourselves. Seeing other players does not mean looking up the ranks. Entire servers talk about other servers.

My personal experience on my healer in wow? LFG meant when I was in a social guild I could do dungeons and get badges etc for raiding. I started out raiding pugging on the server. Within 2 weeks I was in a guild fighting it out for server firsts. And what did I honestly tell them when I was getting interviewed etc? No, I never healed raids too much before, I only made this character 6 weeks ago. And guess what - that was the honest truth. So yeah. I for one only got to start raiding because of LFG no matter how many friends I had made in the years playing before that. That was after cross-server. Before that the LFG tool was more effective than the manual ones, but you really were restricted in that you had to be running the content which was popular and be logged on at peak times. Other than that everything was only done as a favor by friends. To be a player with that many people in the first place means you must be pretty shocking to a LOT of people.

In MMO's having everything that requires group content depend on being able to play at peak times is very restricting. Trade is just as chatty. People are just as talkative. People are still looking for people to queue with and do things together. People are still looking to get to know people on the servers and find guilds that are like their families/homes etc. And for good and bad player politics etc are still there. And people still like having fun when they play. LFG hasn't destroyed any of that.

I agree with you and remember fondly server groups on WoW, how your reputation as a honourable and decent player got you invited back regularly to groups, how many new friends I made doing PuGs. Understandably some people want a LFG tool on SWTOR because of limited time to play, or they just don't understand the skill of networking well enough, or one of many other reasons, but it does detract from the social aspect of the game.

****!!!! networking? talking to people? what does this mean?

It means you have to actually interact with people to achieve things in an MMO, where you play with other people, be social, yea know... actually talk and communicate with others? not just press a button, say Hi when you walk in the flashpoint, never say a word again, and walk out when you're done.

MMOs are meant to be social events! don't wreck it by making it a single player game with 3 human controlled companions :-D.

they are already implementing a lfg system as they should. If you don't want to queue for a flashpoint then don't group up with friends/guilds. For those of us who work, have families, etc and want to play the game and enjoy, waiting for hours to get a group is not fun and never will be, and no lfg does not destroy a gaming community, this is 2012 and not having options available is just outdated and unnecessary. I think bioware can accomplish a good lfg system with no problems as they have already stated they are working on so all paying subscribers can have the opportunity to enjoy the entire game's content and not just some of it. You can queue for pvp already so.... If ppl are just looking for a social network, that is what facebook is for. This is a game to be played and shared and how ppl accomplish that should have options depending on the players choice. Edited by leungbik