Give Force Lightning to dark alignment Jedi Consulars

Vlacke

This makes zero sense to me. Being able to use lightning is not a matter of instinct or light/dark side choices, but training. No matter whether your choices are light or dark side, your training comes from Jedi , and they're the ones who you to throw projectile items and debris... not channel force lightning. Force lightning is usable by Sith because they were *trained* to use it from the time they first became apprentices.

Except SI gain lightning while still more or less a slave with potential. SI use lightning for what, 5-8 lvls before becoming an apprentice? Seems rather risky training your slaves to use such a powerful ability.

I agree with what you say about Jedi training, just pointing out an obvious flaw with your view of Sith training. They probably should have used lightning as a higher lvl ability.

Edited by Dcayd

I dont like the idea of lightening for Jedi's but I dont like healing abilities for sith either... I can understand self heals but heals for others? Isnt that against the sith belief of the strong survive and the weak die?

I think the big mistake was trying too hard to keep a mirror and in the end slight differences made a huge difference in PvP. It would have been much better if they had stuck to lore. The Sith Sorc should have self only heals vs Jedi Sage less damage output and effective group/targeted heals. This way no one would argue about imbalance because it would have been expected from the start and it wouldnt be a surprise in PvP. Yes this would make Sorc better 1 on 1 but that would also make them somewhat useless in groups and that is the trade off. The sage would retain group favor but will not be able to outright out damage a dps class.

Which brings me to another big issue with current balance. Sorc/Sages outright out DPS'ing pure DPS classes... this happens much too often and this should never be the case. If anything, healing classes should have the lowest DPS. There is a reason why this is so in most other MMO's and it is to maintain balance and some sort of fun for everyone else not playing an OP class. Sorc (never fought a sage cause im light) are incredibly hard to kill, even harder than tanks and they are able to maintain good damage output while surviving with heals. This should not be the case and is the primary reason why almost everyone plays a sage/sorc. Im not saying nerf, what I am saying is that other classes should be better dps. It should be a 100%/75%/50% scale for DPS/Tanks/Healers respectively with variation for hybrids and CC classes.

I think the idea is dumb. The abilities you are taught are not directly related to your alignment for good reason. As a force user on the Republic Side, you were not taught Force Lightning because the Jedi Trainers do not practice Force Lightning, you have no where to learn from. Plus I disagree that lightning is really a dark ability. I believe in the school of thought that how and why you use a force ability determine if its light or dark, not the ability itself. I honestly believe Force Lightning could be used as a Jedi defibrillator if needed.

Honestly I don't feel alignment should have any effects on abilities or even what items you can use. It is against cannon to say dark side users can't use a blue saber. Look at Ep 3. Also there were LS jedi would use red crystals in the EU.

I honestly don't mind the Jedi Consulars animation style.

But the Jedi don't train me. If they did I wouldn't have to pay for it.

Since I am paying for it and therefore the trainer isn't a Jedi I see no reason why I can't pay to learn Force Lightning intead of Pebble Throw.

I dont like the idea of lightening for Jedi's but I dont like healing abilities for sith either... I can understand self heals but heals for others? Isnt that against the sith belief of the strong survive and the weak die?

I think the big mistake was trying too hard to keep a mirror and in the end slight differences made a huge difference in PvP. It would have been much better if they had stuck to lore. The Sith Sorc should have self only heals vs Jedi Sage less damage output and effective group/targeted heals. This way no one would argue about imbalance because it would have been expected from the start and it wouldnt be a surprise in PvP. Yes this would make Sorc better 1 on 1 but that would also make them somewhat useless in groups and that is the trade off. The sage would retain group favor but will not be able to outright out damage a dps class.

Which brings me to another big issue with current balance. Sorc/Sages outright out DPS'ing pure DPS classes... this happens much too often and this should never be the case. If anything, healing classes should have the lowest DPS. There is a reason why this is so in most other MMO's and it is to maintain balance and some sort of fun for everyone else not playing an OP class. Sorc (never fought a sage cause im light) are incredibly hard to kill, even harder than tanks and they are able to maintain good damage output while surviving with heals. This should not be the case and is the primary reason why almost everyone plays a sage/sorc. Im not saying nerf, what I am saying is that other classes should be better dps. It should be a 100%/75%/50% scale for DPS/Tanks/Healers respectively with variation for hybrids and CC classes.

Hybrid taxes are stupid and I'm pretty sure Bioware has already stated that if someone specs into dps trees then they should be able to do as much dps as any other dps class. If a class with heals is healing for too much without speccing for healing then it's not the damage that needs to be nerfed, its the baseline heals.

But the Jedi don't train me. If they did I wouldn't have to pay for it.

Since I am paying for it and therefore the trainer isn't a Jedi I see no reason why I can't pay to learn Force Lightning intead of Pebble Throw.

Uh, every time you go get a brand new skill, you're getting trained that new skill by a Jedi Consular Trainer. So... yes.. Yes the Jedi did in fact train you, you just had to pay for the training instead of getting it for free, because Bioware loves in-game money sinks. Think of it like paying for piano lessons.

When you're specced into a tree it shouldn't matter what your other trees are. If you're a jugg specced to dps you should be doing maurader level dps, if you're a sorc specced to dps you should be doing just as much as snipers. Trying to invalidate every dps spec except the pure ones would be a very stupid move.

Topic title says it actually so i want to hear your thought on the matter.

I believe this is how it should have been in the first place, lore wise even.

It could also be used as a cool incentive for the class and for the Republic faction which suffers from imbalance problem.

Awesome idea!

Just the one spell change

But awesome :)

PS. I know its been said a thousand times but pebble storm needs an awesomeness buff. Maybe this is the answer

OP in all honesty this is not a good idea. any mmo that have classes which mirror each other will not give them the same skill twice even that mean you take the Pebble Throw for alignment. everyone know Force lightning is sith inquisitor. if you want them so badly why not simply roll one. this is an mmo and balance is need. Edited by Alikain

I agree with you on this.

Now i love the very idea of Jedi Consular, but i think this class should have been handled differently.

Throwing rocks and vases, seriously?

The very least they could have done is not make Consular look ridiculous at higher levels.

Consular is on par with the Inquisitor regarding knowledge of the force and use of it's powers so they should have treated them as such.

The idea of a corrupt dark Consular still throwing vases, dishes and rocks at his opponents for example is ridiculous to say the least.

Uh, technically the lighting is a sith or nightsister only technique. Where would a consular learn this? Also, if you want to throw lightning around, why not play an inquisitor?

Oh man, would be great :p

I keep saying some of our skills could have little changes on animation with our alignment or maybe even get new skills with dark and light choices.

Jedi Knight Force Statis becoming Force Choke or telekinetic throw becomes force lightning.

Or the Jedi Knights getting Rage/Protect depending on their alignment, consulars getting life drain/force absorption (increasing force points as long as you take force damage.) .

You may say:

"But that would screw whole meaning of the game, people would choose alignments just get the skill they want !"

I say:

"Don't care and they shouldn't. Would be a lot cooler and that's how KOTOR was ( in a way )."

I can even think for the smuggler/trooper versions of this but i haven't really played the classes yet. I didn't play Jedi Knight neither, just a friend giving me tips.

Oh man, would be great :p

"Don't care and they shouldn't. Would be a lot cooler and that's how KOTOR was ( in a way )."

I can even think for the smuggler/trooper versions of this but i haven't really played the classes yet. I didn't play Jedi Knight neither, just a friend giving me tips.

You forget one thing Kotor was not an mmo. mmo game need balance around their classes. with you and the rest are suggesting will just ruin the game on soo may levels. in that case why not give all the force classes the same ability. force leap, force jump anything that the force can do. just think about what you guys are saying.

Edited by Alikain

If this was to happen, that dark aligned consulars got Lightning then it should be balanced with LS consular having the skill to deflect lighting. Masters such as Master Windu and Yoda BOTH were able to do this to some extent. So there should be balance for all players. Edited by dronepilot

heck I just want lightning for flavor... in all the KoTOR games it's always been a darkside ability... and as far as trained... feh I can argue that if your strong in the force you can eventually figure it out for yourself.

personally I'd like to see my Aura in meditate turn dark or red... project get a lightning animation grafted on to it

... maybe throw rock turned into javalining the lightsaber... mayme that is a little to much knight mixed in though heh.

I actually stopped playing my Assassin and switched to Shadow *because* of the lightning animations. They are over the top and it felt as if my Assassin had one force ability that he just uses over and over. As a Shadow I feel as though I have several force powers (throwing big objects, the 'pebble storm' as I call it, etc).

I'd have to agree with the people here who are saying that force lightning is taught, not achieved by moral choices. We're not mood rings, we're Jedi and our particular Jedi knows a lot about moving big objects with the force, but knows nothing about turning the force into lightning.

Edited by shamrockjew

• 9 months later...