Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

Why is the Sub remaining $15 when 50% of the game is free?

If I buy a Big Mac and Fries and the Fries are F2P I'm only going to pay for the Big Mac right?

What benefits does a subscription give? Full WZ and Ops is not worth $15 a month. Even less so with the obvious slowing of patches due to focus on maintaining F2P players.

Yours is the example of a Buy-to-Play model more than a F2P one. Now, imagine you have a Big Mac, Fries and a Coke. 15 dollars a month, you get all of them. Otherwise you get a free Big Mac but the Fries cost 10 bucks and the Coke costs another 10 dollars. The subscription is more convenient if you want to do everything. And they're not locking only Ops and WZs but also the amount of Flashpoints you can do, the amount of auctions you can create, the amount of money you can carry, the amount of characters and cargo hold tabs you can have and the priority when queued to log into a server.

Meaning: if you want to play at end game at a level a bit higher than casual you pretty much have to buy something or get a subscription.

That's what I understood from the information provided to us.

I think it's a good decision for BioWare, should bring many SW and BW fans who stayed away from SWTOR because of its payment model. Now they will be able to check it out like any other RPG and if they enjoy it they may explore the endgame and this whole move might bring entirely new players into the MMO market itself.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only benefit F2P serves is server overcrowding which is already happening and me not having to pay 15$ a month anymore...
The other benefit is that those who aren't really serious about the game will flood it, meaning FPs, WZs, OPs, any and all options available to the dabblers will fall to crap in a hurry. If you pay for something you have a tendency to take it more serious than something you didn"t pay for and something you never plan to.

Boosts? For real? So not even going to splash around in the pay to look good end of the pool, just jumping right into the pay to win deep end. Great. While your at it could you kick me in the stones, just to complete the package.

After reading http://www.swtor.com/free/features my positives thoughts for now are staying positive ; )

This gives people that liked the previous star wars games, but don't like paying for mmo's or end game content the chance to just play for the story lines. Yet mmo players like most of the current subsribers that play for more then just the star wars story still have their end game, beyond lvling stuff. I can see how this can be a positive influence on the game, low lvl zones will stay more crowded as the game progresses and I do really hope that the more frequent game updates will do well.

Of course I am worried about a couple off things. What type of people are joining and are they going to be able to troll / ruin the social experience and community in the lvl 1 - 50 zones? But with all the limitations there might not be much room for this anyways. And I really hope that with the Cartel Coins only social and cosmetic items can be purchased, but nothing that can influence the gameplay in pvp or pve.

I hope this will work out nicely for everyone!

Well, personally, i think the devs are being utterly insane and stupid, 99% of players tend to be cheapskates and will go with a free-2-play game over a paid option, they are just THAT cheap, if bioware are this stupid to do this, they might as well just shut down the game, because the game will be dead within a single month of F2P.

play a game of league of legends and see what kind of audience f2p crowd is.

have you played an MMO? go look at what kind of audience any one has... the P2P community is not one iota better than a F2P one... still 90 percent douches

F2P with a shop seems to be the new standard model for MMOs... could have figured that out by the fact every single P2P MMO released in the last few years either went F2P or dropped into obscurity with tiny *** populations

either learn to embrace the change in the market or get out

have you played an MMO? go look at what kind of audience any one has... the P2P community is not one iota better than a F2P one... still 90 percent douches

F2P with a shop seems to be the new standard model for MMOs... could have figured that out by the fact every single P2P MMO released in the last few years either went F2P or dropped into obscurity with tiny *** populations

either learn to embrace the change in the market or get out

on the 8th im out and yes you can haz muh stuff.

F2P till level 50?.

Congrats you've just killed swtor.

Agreed, I hope you re-consider the whole F2Play option. Trials until lvl 15 (even 30 if you want) should be enough to get those "new players"...

If Swtor looks like Lotro, i will be quite disgusted...

If the transition to F2P kills this game I will never forgive EA, this change has obviously come from them. I waited almost a decade for SWTOR to be released and now it comes down to what brings the dollars in. For the amount of time it has been out this game has more content, class and social 'scene' than ANY other mmo.

The doomsayers and flaming forum children will always spout negativity, but if you love this game...like I do, KEEP ON SUBBING or if not KEEP ON PLAYING! The only people that will keep the game alive are you, the players, and for F2P to work, and more content to be released...there needs to be a reason to release it. I for one will keep playing and subbing, until either this new announcement come to fruition, ruins the game and it becomes a f2p ghost like the countless others, or all of the people jumping ship now make EA bring the boot down further.... :mon_frown:

Bioware, I love your game and I realize that you want to give us variety. I would LOVE to be able to not have to pay the subscription any more, since for me and others who have been forced to unsubscribe have been unable to afford the subscription. I think it would be brilliant to allow me to pay for individual pieces of premium content almost like dlc. This would get me back into this game while also allowing me to buy more of what I love from you for a longer time. I would also like to see subscribers get all premium content at a discount as I believe this would give many of your loyal fans a reason to continue paying. I would if I could only afford it.

I believe that you want to give me what I have described, but you description has lead to a major miscommunication with your fans. Instead of looking like a dynamic new way to pay, it instead appeared that you were abandoning all subscribers. Your cartel points looked to be an apology that offered us next to nothing for our game that you seemed to have decided to give away. I realize you do not seek to give the game away, but it appears to be so when you allow so many to come in and get a so much content for what would normally be one month of subscription. I and others hastily assumed you were trying to give away the game for almost free and allow people to pay for power or useless cosmetics as is seen in many free to play games. A lot of us plainly don't want that, because those things tend to die. I believe by calling your game free to play you are misrepresenting your intent. It would have bee much easier to tell people that the subscription was now being wavered in favor of a new way to pay for extra content outside of our initial purchases. I and almost all of your past subscribers would have come back. I believe your soon to be mass exodus of people unsubscribing is due to bad communication. I believe that to fix this you should talk to your fans about your intent without the free to play wording. oh and the sale is kind of hurtful and disrespectful to your fans you paid earlier. :)

- Anthony Jones

sighs.....

Now I need to find another game. I am so sorry you took what could have been a great game and failed it.

You're going to be looking awhile, since the majority of MMORPGs are F2P and other than WoW most of the others will be soon.

So here is how i think this game will go if you goto f2p

1. all the people that have been playing and know how to play will be sitting in general chat answering all these questions all the 12 year old kids have to ask that are new to the game

2.people will not be doing to many FP's due to the fact that all the newbies that have joined the game and are fail asses

3.ops will now be destroyed due to nubs doing stupid things and people needing on things that they can not use that is the same for FP's aswell

4.nubs will ask and do some of the most stupid crap and all your sub's will get angry about it and /gamequit for good

5.EA/Bioware willfail as a whole cause of this F2P system

so the out come will not be good for all the people that have wasted their money paying the $15 a month you will lose al your players then you will have a starwars game that failed and all your paying people that pay to play the game will be angry and will have to revert back to world of warcraft and GOD knows we don't want to do that so

moral to all this is DO NOT GOTO FREE TO PLAY WITH THIS GAME CAUSE IT WILL HAVE NO GOOD OUT COME FROM IT DO NOT TAKE THIS GAME TO FREE TO PLAY EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by deathlash

You're going to be looking awhile, since the majority of MMORPGs are F2P and other than WoW most of the others will be soon.

Pretty much. And if anything, this is likely going to start something of a paradigm shift in the industry in regards to pricing models.

So here is how i think this game will go if you goto f2p

1. all the people that have been playing and know how to play will be sitting in general chat answering all these questions all the 12 year old kids have to ask that are new to the game

2.people will not be doing to many FP's due to the fact that all the newbies that have joined the game and are fail asses

3.ops will now be destroyed due to nubs doing stupid things and people needing on things that they can not use that is the same for FP's aswell

4.nubs will ask and do some of the most stupid crap and all your sub's will get angry about and /gamequit for good

5.EA/Bioware willfail as a whole cause of this F2P system

so the out come will not be good for all the people that have wasted their money paying the $15 a month you will lose al your players then you will have a starwars game that failed and all your paying people that pay to play the game will be angry and will have to revert back to world of warcraft and GOD knows we don't want to do that so

moral to all this is DO NOT GOTO FREE TO PLAY WITH THIS GAME CAUSE IT WILL HAVE NO GOOD OUT COME FROM IT DO NOT TAKE THIS GAME TO FREE TO PLAY EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well since they can't do any ops or high end stuff.. BS. I still am not happy with F2P.

Hmm not really seeing a whole lot of a reason to not just play free. To be honest, I spent the last 3 months trying to get a answer to some transfer questions in regards to people serving overseas and unable to transfer with the rest of our guild. Not to mention the mess of guild banks not being moved easily. The silence of that has pretty well driven myself to the unsubscibe land here soon anyway.

Regardless the F2P seems to always take things towards pay to win line of things and despise it for the most part. But it would let me pop in and play here and there after the transfer fiasco is driving me to stop paying anyway. Its hard to pay to play when you feel your paying for abuse lol.

Hope its the right choice...

Explain one thing to me:

Subscription – A service designed for players who want unrestricted access to all the game features via ongoing subscription

If the subscribers have unrestricted access to everything what do they need cartel coins for???

Thanks for killing the game, and selling out to 10 year olds with no money.

You've just cost yourself a lot of players.

Now if you made a Sub Only set of servers.. might be a different story..

There are plenty of 10 year olds who have their parents pay for this game. I also know of 30 and 40 year olds who act more immature in a pay to play game than the so called 10 year olds in a free to play.

If you really want to get to the nitty gritty of this, what you say smacks of elitism found in every single P2P game in existance. Xbox Live, PSN, and our very own internet all have the same type of people.

Explain one thing to me:

If the subscribers have unrestricted access to everything what do they need cartel coins for???

Fun stuff, or if they do not wish to purchase expansions with real money.

the only good thing that can come from this free to play with all the nubs we can rise the prices of items on the GTN so nubs can't now ever afford all the high end gear that people craft and if so we can all make a crap load off their fail asses lol Edited by deathlash

I seem to remember people saying the same thing about Star Trek Online...it seems to be doing pretty well since F2P launched.

I'm sorry but having played STO for 2 years now and it sucked a long time before they went F2P with it and it's been getting worse since, not to mention Cryptic went a year and a half without releasing any new content, so as long as Bioware don't do the same thing and keep the releases coming they should be fine.

Personally I love this game, I've been here through a few of the Beta's, pre-access and a Collector's Edition owner and I'm still here and love it as much as I did when I first started in the Beta. And for the haters saying that TOR going F2P will kill it I don't think so.

Like I said STO has sucked for a long time now but when they went F2P with it, it brought in a hell of a lot of new players, some who pretty much came and went once they did the game and others who stayed around. Most MMO's die because either A: Lack of players and the company decided that it's not worth keeping the servers running for who is left eg: The Matrix Online. B: The Community dies and/or gets filled with the haters and the fans get fed up and leave and C: The Company starts making bad decisions like poor content and ignoring their fanbase and it's complaints (Like Cryptic/PW do with STO).

Personally I think that going F2P will be a good thing for TOR although personally I'm still going to keep subscribing, hell I'm still asking for a lifetime subscription option! Besides if you want a perfect example of a game going F2P and it being a success I have one title for you: DC Universe Online. That game was struggling, it went F2P and it's paid off monumentally for Sony Online ever since, the players came, they stayed and it's still thriving to this day with great and regular content releases.

So I think as long as Bioware handle it properly then I think TOR will do well.