What is considered 'geared' for hard modes?

The other day I tried to run HM Black Talon, and before we got started the healer of my group (I was tanking) said that my gear was nowhere near good enough (I was rocking my 47-50 oranges, all fitted with 48-50+ mods) and he probably couldn't keep me up.

We wipe twice on the first boss (wasn't really my fault, the DPS wasn't kiting the droids and kept blowing the healer up), and the healer says one more time and he's gone because he didn't want to get saved to a group that wouldn't finish. I didn't have an issue with that, really, because I could tell that we weren't going to have an easy time because we were all learning the fights. Next run we down the boss (in which I didn't think it was too bad that time).

My question is this. My health didn't really spike too badly at all (of course the healer was reasonably geared). Over the past few days I've been grinding heroics and PvP and have gotten a crafted lvl49 epic earpiece, a few 51+ epic mods and a 51+ epic hilt (from dailies). I know people love gear grinding as much as I do, but when can I start doing the real end game content? I'm bored stiff here! I'm currently sitting at around 13.5k health unbuffed, with 25% defense chance and 22+% absorb and shield. What more do I need to gear up for...gearing up?

You're fine, I healed an Assassin with no shield generator or defensive stats, in his normal leveling oranges and blue gear, who had just respecced tank before the Black Talon run as a fairly fresh 50.

Granted it was a guild group so the teamwork was pretty solid, but you should be more than dandy to do the easier Hard Mode dungeons

First of all, the healer is dead wrong. You don't get saved to a flashpoint until you kill the final boss. You can reset it and run it an infinite amount of times until you kill the final boss.

Your hp is kinda low as a tank, I suggest try your hand at PVP and get lucky at some champion bags.

Edited by Iwipe

Ok, thanks for the quick response. I'm going to keep doing dailies / pvp / etc. until my next day off (Sunday) and will give it another go. I was just hoping that it wasn't a pompous group (which is entirely possible) QQ'ing because everyone wasn't overgeared for the run hoping for an easy mode...hard mode.

If you have 13k hp as a tank something should be wrong. I had 15k hp the moment I hit 50 and I'm a shadow tank.

I did dailies to get 51 epic mods and pvped to get 2-3 champion pieces in about 2 days. Crafted an epic earpiece and buyed some 50 purple mods for my oranges. Got some more champion stuff the following days and removed mods from the ones I don't need and inserted them in my oranges. Also daily heroics gives some neat purple mods too. After that I was doing Hms and normal ops.

Now I have 2 columni and 4 champion gear along with 1-2 Tionese and I'm more than enough for every hm and normal op. I'm sitting on 18.5 k hp right now.

Hope this helps for comparison.

I've got 15k HP and I'm a willpower focused healer.

13.5k HP is way too low for a tank. You're probably missing out on good relics / implants (which is the pieces that most people neglect most). Also, make sure you're not using green mods/barrels/enhancements for your items, in fact, you should be going with purple ones only. Usually, you can buy reasonable gear on the galactic market, check daily and just save up money.

There's really zero reason anyone should be even attempting hardmodes without a full set of the 51-tier armoring mods/hilt/barrel. You can get enough for all of your armor/weapons by doing one day's worth of dailies at 50.

I had 5 pieces of orange gear with 51 armoring, 50 mod, 50 enhancement, all purple, within a day of reaching lvl 50. My weapon was the same thing. Wrist/waist/implants/ear were all lvl 50 blues. Relic was my lvl 50 matrix shard relic and some random blue from crew missions.

If it's clear you could improve your gear in some way without doing hardmode instances, ask yourself why you haven't done it already.

Edited by Jalthi

There's really zero reason anyone should be even attempting hardmodes without a full set of the 51-tier armoring mods/hilt/barrel. You can get enough for all of your armor/weapons by doing one day's worth of dailies at 50.

Loled at that so hard.

I skipped all flashpoints from Foundry forward until I reached level 50 with my orange/blue-ish gear. I updated mods to level 49 (best I could craft) and Black Talon was a piec of cake. I play as a healer though. My team was able to kill each boss as soon as they hit enrage timer, we ware lacking dps slightly then.

For BT you don't need nothing more then oranges updatet with at least level 49 mods.

Loled at that so hard.

I skipped all flashpoints from Foundry forward until I reached level 50 with my orange/blue-ish gear. I updated mods to level 49 (best I could craft) and Black Talon was a piec of cake. I play as a healer though. My team was able to kill each boss as soon as they hit enrage timer, we ware lacking dps slightly then.

For BT you don't need nothing more then oranges updatet with at least level 49 mods.

Gearing requirements for HMs are probably harder on the tank than anything else. When I first started Esseles, I didn't feel comfortable until I had about 17.5k health, but that's just because almost everyone back then is undergeared.

You can get enough for all of your armor/weapons by doing one day's worth of dailies at 50.

Okay, silly question time (I just hit 50 a day ago), what are these dailies please? I've not yet seen anything offered other than space and warzones?

I'm in oranges with a bunch of 50 purple mods/armour etc, anything that isn't purple is blue 49. Would love to get going on even a basic 'geared' setup.

Thanks!

Okay, silly question time (I just hit 50 a day ago), what are these dailies please? I've not yet seen anything offered other than space and warzones?

I'm in oranges with a bunch of 50 purple mods/armour etc, anything that isn't purple is blue 49. Would love to get going on even a basic 'geared' setup.

Thanks!

Go to Illum and get the PvE quests there. Then go to Belsavis and complete the Belsavis Bonus quest circle.

You can get enough for all of your armor/weapons by doing one day's worth of dailies at 50.

Nice exaggeration. You can get everything pretty quickly, but you can't fully gear up in one day. Unless you only have one modable piece of gear, in which case you have other things to prioritize.

@OP -- that healer is bad. I've healed thanks through Hardmode Essless with less HP than my sage healer has (e.g. Me 15ishK them 13ishK). It comes down to him having better reaction times than my desk does. Edited by Battyone

As soon as i hit 50 i was pulled into EV hardmodes as a healer. Now gear only is an issue if your skill level is not as high. Take it like a supply and demand chart. The higher your skill, the less gear rating you need. The lower your skill, the more gear rating you will need.

Gearing requirements for HMs are probably harder on the tank than anything else. When I first started Esseles, I didn't feel comfortable until I had about 17.5k health, but that's just because almost everyone back then is undergeared.

Wha? I was doing HM EV with 16k as a Juggernaut. Do BH/Trooper tanks get massively more health than everyone else?

Nice exaggeration. You can get everything pretty quickly, but you can't fully gear up in one day. Unless you only have one modable piece of gear, in which case you have other things to prioritize.

Exaggeration? Do all the normal dailies - 25 commendations - plus the bonus/story missions that you can do once the first time that still give daily commendations, and voila - 4-5 armorings easy. Maybe you have to come back and get one more the next day.

If you'll note what I said, I specifically said armoring/hilt/barrel. I did not say a full set of all mods/enhancements as well. It's not really that hard though, buy those on the AH, or just do the 3 heroic dailies that give out actual purple mods/enhancements.

Bottom line is that within a few days of hitting 50, there's no reason to be undergeared if you're looking to move onto harder content. BW has made is exceedingly easy to gear up.

Edited by Jalthi

Exaggeration? Do all the normal dailies - 25 commendations - plus the bonus/story missions that you can do once the first time that still give daily commendations, and voila - 4-5 armorings easy. Maybe you have to come back and get one more the next day.

If you'll note what I said, I specifically said armoring/hilt/barrel. I did not say a full set of all mods/enhancements as well. It's not really that hard though, buy those on the AH, or just do the 3 heroic dailies that give out actual purple mods/enhancements.

Bottom line is that within a few days of hitting 50, there's no reason to be undergeared if you're looking to move onto harder content.

25/8=4 or 5? not seeing yoru math?

but ill agree that it isnt hard... three days and you can gear up your 4-5 pieces of orange gear.

Edited by SapienChavez

25/8=4 or 5?

but ill agree that it isnt hard... three days and you can gear up your 4-5 pieces of orange gear.

We agree on the overall picture so I'm not flaming you, but it's 25 + however many you get from the story quests that are one-time-only. I don't remember offhand how many that was, but b/w Ilum and Belsavis it was at the very least 7 commendations.