NA PvP: Which Server Will You Choose?

EnzoForMe

I'm interested to see where people intend to pvp on their primary chatacters in NA.

Not since Season 3 on Prophecy of the Five has the East Coast had a viable competitive pvp server with the player base to support it. As we all know, Harbinger has been the de facto hub of swtor pvp for a couple years now.

One thing I was thinking about was how populations on the two coasts would be affected by mergers.

West Coast: Hot Prospect

Harb- Current NA pvp hub, largest ranked participation

BC- Probably has decent regular war zone participation, never played on it

Bastion- Dead

East Coast: Star Forge

Ebon Hawk- 2nd largest pvp base, less ranked participation than Harb

Jedi Covenant- My original server from 2012-2013, once had a number of excellent pvp guilds but now primarily regular warzone participation that is likely less than BC

Shadowlands- Average regular warzone community comparable to JC, small ranked community

Jung Ma- Life support

Pot5- What is dead may never die

Looking at this list from my opinion, the server merger will benefit east coast more than west coast. I believe EH + JC + Shadowlands surpasses Harbinger + BC in regular warzone participation and may be comparable in ranked post-merge. An additional small benefit is EU players will have better ping and time zones to play in on East Coast should they choose to play there.

My personal preference will be East Coast as that's where I live, and it's a matter of 15 m/s versus 130 m/s. I haven't been (cautiously) excited about a swtor patch since the 3.0 era but the prospect of finally being able to return to East Coast with a population that supports a healthy endgame pvp scene is very appealing to me. I would imagine endgame PvE will see a boost as well.

West Coast should still have a very healthy pvp scene (for 2017) but in my experience with prior server merges and character transfers, ranked pvpers tend to gravitate to one server and it will be interesting to see where those chips land.

Edited by EnzoForMe

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, this may hurt Harb (Hot Prospect) a bit. I'm sure there are a good number of people eager to go back to an east coast server. I have no choice. I get 60ms ping on Harb...and I live on the west coast. My east coast ping is in the 200s IIRC. :(

TBH, if "ranked players" were interested in the most consistent ranked pops, they'd already be on Harb I don't really see that scene changing.

I personally think yolo ranked is cuckcancer and my consistent groupmates aren't consistent enough to really do group ranked because group ranked is not consistent enough to be chased.

That leaves me with regs.

I agree that Starforged looks to have the better warzone participation and people said Ebon Hawk pubs were good (my experience during server transfer did not net those results) so having more pubs to play against would be fun as well.

Locationally, I'm from Texas, I can play either side and get about 40-60ms.

In the end, I'll end up going where my buds go but I'm pretty sure we'll go wherever the best warzone pvp is, unless grouped rank ever becomes consistent in a location that also has consistent warzones.

For me the perfect situation would be for solo ranked to stay popular on Harb, then group ranked and warzones to be more viable somewhere else, just so I could leave those doomases behind.

Edited by Wimbleton

Yeah, this may hurt Harb (Hot Prospect) a bit. I'm sure there are a good number of people eager to go back to an east coast server. I have no choice. I get 60ms ping on Harb...and I live on the west coast. My east coast ping is in the 200s IIRC. :(

I think for those of us who live on the west coast it is a no brainer not only for the ping, but east has so many haters.

Hot Prospect will remain the solo ranked hub, but consensus among most PvPers in Discord is that The Star Forge will be the group ranked hub. Regs should be pretty good on Star Forge as well - the imps from JC and Shadowlands vs. Ebon Hawk pubs. Edited by Hoppinswtor

I'll definitely have a presence on both servers and I'm going to see how the shuffle goes but I would much prefer to play on SF as long as the PVP scene there isn't noticeably worse (and I kind of doubt it will be for the reasons y'all have already mentioned). I will be encouraging the few people left in my guild to consider moving there as well.

• 10 ping instead of 70
  • I have no particular love for harbinger's pvp community
  • Sounds like a lot of the players I want to share a server with are also going to SF
  • Suspect group ranked will be less dead on SF and solo ranked similar enough not to be a problem
  • No phobos throwing solo ranked games for 6 hours a day

If we get enough momentum to start snowballing SF early we can keep it going and turn the server into, at the very least, an acceptable alternative to harb for pvp pops.

Edited by yellow_

Hot Prospect will remain the solo ranked hub, but consensus among most PvPers in Discord is that The Star Forge will be the group ranked hub. Regs should be pretty good on Star Forge as well - the imps from JC and Shadowlands vs. Ebon Hawk pubs.

Ah interesting insight. I do agree SF could potentially have more balanced factions as you mentioned. The split between solo and group would be somewhat surprising. The few group ranked players left also tend to solo ranked in my experience. Though that may just be because 4s activity is inconsistent typically.

Ah interesting insight. I do agree SF could potentially have more balanced factions as you mentioned. The split between solo and group would be somewhat surprising. The few group ranked players left also tend to solo ranked in my experience. Though that may just be because 4s activity is inconsistent typically.
I could see HP having better solo ranked but I'm not convinced that it *definitely* will just yet. You never know who will start queuing up for solos if they actually pop for them now.

Oh man, that is a good selling point.

But knowing him, he will find out you guys play at SF and just follow you over there and throw matches.

There is no escaping the Phobos.

I don't really think he cares about throwing games on anyone in particular as long as he's getting his attention fix. And if the number of people in queue is higher (it presumably will be) it will be noticeably less likely to get games in the garbo bracket where he's inevitably at. Assuming you've already got some rating of course... Edited by yellow_

I’m not playing on a server called “hot prospect” with bc people I’m so star forge

I already petitioned a name change to "Hot Pocket" on change.org and its got 17,000,000 signatures in the first 2 hours.

I'm seeing more and more players that I enjoy playing with/against hinting at Starforged, such as the STI folks.

Likely I'll be on both (Sorc on one and Merc on the other) and then make my decision soon after.

The best cure for solo ranked cancer is having a good group ranked scene, because then you can ignore people like Phobos and they just completely cease to exist.

I already petitioned a name change to "Hot Pocket" on change.org and its got 17,000,000 signatures in the first 2 hours.

I'm seeing more and more players that I enjoy playing with/against hinting at Starforged, such as the STI folks.

Likely I'll be on both (Sorc on one and Merc on the other) and then make my decision soon after.

The best cure for solo ranked cancer is having a good group ranked scene, because then you can ignore people like Phobos and they just completely cease to exist.

Yes, that particular player is a cancer. I’ve have him permanently on ignore so I don’t have to see his fleet spam.

the first 3 years of the game, I was on east coast servers simply because that was where I was put because I joined a guild before the game launched. So I stuck it out. didn't really lag too much. Once I moved to harb, I now have 12ms. I will more than likely go to a west coast server for the ping but by then I will be well into bf2 so I may not even care what server i'm on. There's nothing about changes to ranked or anything in the listed roadmap so it's probably going to be more of the same garbage. I won't miss it.

I expect bf2 to die in a month just like bf1 did, but I'm also going to try it.

Still, doesn't change the fact that on a fundamental level the PVP in the game is extremely limited it's basically PVP with training wheels, it's slow response wise, non-interactive it's a current generation MMO designed to compete with a previous generation MMO which severely limits potential going forward it will be the same game as it is today for the life of the game balance swings come and go but the engine "HERO" will be the same which is the issue.

I don't want to turn the post into a negative nancy post, The customer service I have received in the game has been top notch, I know some of the grunts that work on this game and they truly care and do good work despite EA not paying for a proper customer playtest environment. The current designer seems to what to improve the game, actively listens to the player base but the sub numbers are down and concurrent logins are at all time low this is a good old fashion server merge wrap in a event

I'm not expecting you to care it's my opinion but with so few "Whales" supporting this game I know EA/Bioware cares.

Good Luck with whatever server you choose and your future gaming endeavors

I won't believe anything until the dust has settled. A couple of years ago when PoT5 took a head-shot and went into a coma, everyone voted and said they were all moving to SL for PvP. It was pretty great....for 2 weeks until everyone started moving to Harb. Why? I don't know if anyone really knows? It just happened.

I won't believe anything until the dust has settled. A couple of years ago when PoT5 took a head-shot and went into a coma, everyone voted and said they were all moving to SL for PvP. It was pretty great....for 2 weeks until everyone started moving to Harb. Why? I don't know if anyone really knows? It just happened.

I tried SL for a few day's. I know why ppl left. Everyone was bad. The server must have been home base to bbb or something. Speaking just for pvp of course.

Follow your Ping. Although I'm pretty sure Harb is currently the only server where Yolo pops around the clock.

The dude mentioned isn't the only troll throwing matches on Harb. I've seen three others with no guild tag /stuck matches as well as soon as combat starts. It's a shame that BW continues to permit such behavior, but if you can avoid those trolls, there are good fights to be had which is likely to happen were the population to increase.

it is unreal how bad the first one was. graphics were good but everything else could not have been worse.

There was actually nothing wrong with the game itself, just the proliferation of hacking on the PC platform killed the community in a matter of months.

If I were to try BF2, I would definitely go Console.

I tried SL for a few day's. I know why ppl left. Everyone was bad. The server must have been home base to bbb or something. Speaking just for pvp of course.

Funny how that works. Massive influx of people from every NA server, you see a bunch of bads, but it's because you only saw the people that were already there, right? :rolleyes: