SWTOR, Windows and Memory leaks - how to fix.

vermura

So like, swtor has leaked memory since Beta. I reported the problem in Beta, I've reported the problem many times since and Bioware has... actually made it worse since patch 1.4 and no patch since has improved the situation.

What is a memory leak?

Programs, like swtor, routinely allocate memory to tasks as part of their operation. When they have finished a task, they then free it up so that other processes can make use of the memory. A memory leak occurs when the memory is not freed up. Strong evidence for this occuring is if the size of the process grows over time. For me, this occurs with SWTOR. I've always known it was a memory leak in the client (I'm a former programmer, and actually, spent a couple of months rewriting code to specifically to fix memory leaks in a 500k user application).

What will happen if a memory leak is unchecked?

Well, eventually, the operating system will run out of RAM, which will cause it to swap to the hard disk and/or crash.

You may also notice a significant drag on performance even if a crash does not occur.

How to fix this?

It's actually a Bioware problem, and I didn't think there was anyway I could fix this for them. Fortunately, however, a guy in this obscure thread on the customer service forums found this awesome application to fix it. I tried it, and was pleasantly surprised when it actually worked. The settings I am using under options are "Trim Process working set every 5 minutes" and "start memory cleaner with windows".

So why am I posting this here?

Come on, it's been a year, it's preety fracken obvious bioware aren't going to fix it. I could post this on the general forums and it would sink like a stone, never to be seen again. This forums not so busy and it's also the server I'm playing on now.

What can you do to help others?

If this helps you, you can help others by just bumping this thread.

Disclaimer: I did not write this application and I do not know it could or will damage your computer. If your not sure, I advise you to NOT use it. If you take the chance and suffer damage to your PC, don't come crying to me lol.

Edited by vermura

I can't thank you enough for this post. I can confirm that Memory Cleaner does, in fact, fix the memory leak! I've had this problem since 1.4 and the program works wonders. I can actually raid with my guildies (and not have to schedule a quick 5-10 minute bio on my and others in my guild who have this problem's behalf), nor do I have to worry about suddenly crashing to the desktop during a crucial moment in PvP.

I've tried absolutely everything on the dozens of threads, and nothing has worked. This fix works.

Thank you

Edited by bluengreen

This "Extends" the amount of a time before a crash, it still is not a solution..

I still crash, on my Alienware M17X ... Yet my Desktop Computer works Perfect, no crashes...

Wish it was a bit more conclusive ... i often feel like the "Process of Elimination" Tactic does not apply with this client lol..

This "Extends" the amount of a time before a crash, it still is not a solution..

I still crash, on my Alienware M17X ... Yet my Desktop Computer works Perfect, no crashes...

Wish it was a bit more conclusive ... i often feel like the "Process of Elimination" Tactic does not apply with this client lol..

Trying have it clear your cache every 5 minutes as well. Basically, if you run out of RAM - you crash.

This smells horribly like virus. I would suggest all of you do system restores to before you installed this software. I would also suggest you instal an run MalwareBytes. Any software app that requires you to install KNOWN spyware/viral applications simply cannot be trusted. Think of the long run guys. I'm happy it worked for the 9 of you that it did. I'll be even happier if you pay me instead of best buy for your virus removal. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS!

This smells horribly like virus. I would suggest all of you do system restores to before you installed this software. I would also suggest you instal an run MalwareBytes. Any software app that requires you to install KNOWN spyware/viral applications simply cannot be trusted. Think of the long run guys. I'm happy it worked for the 9 of you that it did. I'll be even happier if you pay me instead of best buy for your virus removal. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS!

Lol... Just lol...

Hmm.. Still gets DC when finishing The Black Talon... :(

This program will fix the memory leak issue by manually performing a memory dump. It works, and works well. What it will NOT do is fix all of the multitude of bugs in the game.

Basically, will you still get the occasional game crash? Yes. Will it be from memory leaks/ram dumps? No.

Same here, will see how it turns out after maintenance.

Gonna post some feedback by the end of the day.

Ok meant to post feedback yesterday but gave it one more day of testing.

Unlucky for me it doesn't change a thing well except that every time I change location game lags for no reason.

Uninstalled. Still thanks for sharing some may find it useful. :mon_trap:

I tried using both memclean and cleanmem (ofcourse not at the same time)

Both make me unable to play the game,

Sure it loads quickly, but once I"m ingame swtor actually only takes up 71 mb of ram, and has 32000 ms.

I also used the bcdedit "fix" to enable more ram to be used under a 32 bit system.

Anyone knows how to fix this?