Balance or Telekinetics?

MikeFL

Quick question here, I'm not really sure where to put my points.

From what I hear, Balance is more of a DoT-centered casting style with melee combat thrown in, whereas Tele is straight up burst damage. Both sound appealing to me, but I'm still unsure of how their playstyle will change as I get higher in level.

If you have any tips/info/suggestions I'd appreciate it!

Balance specs in my opinion are designed around a more solo content type of play style. This is especially apparent in the later levels.

When I see a balance profession I see a player that does not excel in anything. If you want to do group content and be good at it then focus on either healing, or dps. Balance is just going to get you less group invites.

When I see a balance profession I see a player that does not excel in anything. If you want to do group content and be good at it then focus on either healing, or dps. Balance is just going to get you less group invites.

This, balanced is focused on Self-healing then actuly trying to nuke the target.

And they ain't realy wanted in endgame cause they reduce their dps by having a chance to slightly heal themself for 1% each time they crit.

While TK is a pure nuker with no defense.

In pvp, burst damage is king (including backlaoding damage from dots).

In PvE, dots are better as their total sustained damage is higher than burst damage, as well as having much cheaper cost per damage ratio.

Telekinetics is your straight up nuke tree, Balance is DoT's. Heal tree to HoT+HoT buff is almost necessary regardless.

Balance specs in my opinion are designed around a more solo content type of play style. This is especially apparent in the later levels.

Well, I guess with the near endless forcepool balance has, it will be far more viable in endgame- even if the dps output may not seem as great as TK.

Also being able to offheal (without significantly draining my forcepool in the long term) saved more than one group for me.

Only mid 30's experience here so far though.

I did Balance up to 25ish, then switched to Telekenetics. sages can really use either one for leveling up, but I found Sage Telekenesis to be better for PvE simply because it requires little to no downtime for regenerating Force. Many of the abilities you learn in Telekenesis will help you conserve Force and beat down the enemy faster at the same time.

Most likely the first posters are PvE'rs.

Sages are great because they provide an incredible amlount of utility (pull, damage mitigation, heal, slow, stun, interrupt... etc etc)

Balance spec improves your utility making it more than good, it makes it great.

No, Balance is not supposed to use melee abilities as you level up - they will not be used at all past level 10 - you're playing a "mage type" character and it functions as such.

Balance provides good control, mostly because ALL your spells will be instant cast (except for TK throw, the cooldown is instant but the damage is channel over time)

Balance is by no means unviable, in fact its amazing for utility, control and a safe way to dish out lots of damage - the minor heals are icing on the cake but its not at all why you'd pick this tree.

Telekinetics, not much to say. Incredibly burst, which works well in PvE since mobs are mindless drones that you just need to damage. In PvP however you will have some problem dishing out damage vs seasoned players since some of your major damage abilities are long cast/channel time abilities , approx 2 sec.

What this means is that if you go up against a mirror class of yourself they have MINIMUM 3 interrupts, possibly 4 if specced. Now imagine the horror of being cancelled at the end of a long channel, global CD, and locked out for X seconds.

TK got potential, not as much utility, incredible burst but you need to be either incredibly skilled or play vs newbie/new/not as good players to maximise your potential.

Balance got damage, mostly sustained, more utility, free slow+damage ability (costs no force if you let it channel 100%)..

Conclusion? Balance is a safer pick, not to say TK is bad - both are amazing but they act like two almost entirely different classes - one high burst high damage CHANNEL, one sustained damage no channel DoT class.

Really up to you, both are perfectly viable! :)

I've played Balanced myself and I find that the no cooldown period for Telekenetic Throw gives you a lot of constant damage. Coupled with sustained damage from Weaken Mind and other spells that give over time damage will bring the enemy's health down quick.

The great thing about that as well is the low force use of Telekenetic Throw. Combined with a great group of players(team/party), you rarely run out of force, if you don't have to back-up a lousy healer. Of course, I'm not saying you can't throw in a heal or two and some force shield out there. Anyway, my two cents about Balanced. I haven't played the Telekenetics route yet.

I've tried both DPS specs out, and balance is superior, in my opinion. Telekinetics might have the upper hand in situations where you are able to stand completely still and run through your rotation without interference. But that rarely happens in my opinion. Balance is highly mobile and flexible. It never runs out of force thanks to telekinetic throw, where as Telekinetics runs out fairly easily.

Plus, you don't have to use disturbance as a balance sage and disturbance suuuuuucks.

Telekinetics is better at 50 for both group PvE and solo PvE. Balance is an easier spec to level with.

Balance is a better PvP spec for utility roles like defending turrets in Alderaan or doors in Voidstar, while Telekinetics is a better PvP spec for straight up XvX fights.