Mach 5 Massacre - In-Depth Marauder Guide

Kibaken

If you're just using Sweeping Strikes in-between fights to drop Rage and build Fury then I absolutely applaud you for being in the top percentile of our class.

The rotation for Carnage - rotation of course being the Burst Phase order I have - will work in both PvE and PvP. As I say in the guide the order in which you perform Scream and Ravage is, timing-wise, much easier to get off by using Ravage first. You may, in PvP situations, in find yourself unable to do so for whatever reason so I just wanted to stress that it can go either way.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good guide. I've used it and found it most informative. My guild is currently 6/10 8 man nightmare (4/5 EV and 2/5 KP, including Karagga himself) and working on 16man hardmode (7/10).

I leveled and started out raiding as Carnage. It is my favorite spec, however because of the Ataru bug, self heals and other clutch items, Annihilation has become my go to spec. While it might not posses the burst Carnage has, it still has very strong attributes. The only fight I really want Carnage for is Soa, and maybe G4-B3.

I am curious about the gear stats weightings and what people are at currently.

My current setup:

Rakata pieces: MH, OH, Head, Hands, Belt, Legs, Ear and mods/enh in chest and feet

Columi: Feet but w/ rakata mods/enh

Tionese: Chest but with rakata mods/enh

I have a columi implant, but it gives accuracy vs crit/surge and another implant with an augment.

I honestly am not sure if I can upgrade any more with the current tier other than swapping out mods/enhs. That being said my stats are as followed:

106.5% accuracy

408.1 bonus damage

25.59% crit

56.56% crit mult

If what I am reading is true I need more accuracy crit and surge, but I don't see how with the current gear level any can get 108% accuracy, 30% crit and 30% surge, especially unbuffed and as Annihilation. Am I missing something?

**edit**

Something I haven't seen, where does strength fall on our priority list. With rakata gear you have 61str plus secondary stats. With columi you have 57 strength. Is that 4 strength worth the hit on the secondary stat if its power over surge or crit?

Edited by Dazink

Kiba, what about this thread that talks about building your Marauder (Annihlation Spec).

It's interesting seeing his direction and guidance on the system but I find it near impossible cuz it involves grinding very hard to get PvE stuff to boost specific stats. it also did'nt get a sticky but it sounds interesting. Read it and tell me what you think cuz I found yours to be more realistic.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=256372&highlight=marauders+struggling

This is a known bug and is gamebreaking for Carnage in Nightmare modes, imo. If you are too close to Karagga on Nightmare I've found you get hit by his frontal cone attack. Whether that's a bug or not is up in the air at this point, however you can't afford to be taking that damage.

On the same note on a fight like Bonethrasher being at max melee range is vital for positioning and survivability.

At this point it just really isn't worth going with Carnage. I of all people am probably most disappointed about it, but if you go Annihilation once it's almost impossible to go back.

True, it pisses me the hell off aswell since I really really like playing carnage.

The Solution is ofc only viable on certain bosses that don't eat you alive if you stand in em(which on nightmare isn't alot of em).

Really hope they fix this soon.

If what I am reading is true I need more accuracy crit and surge, but I don't see how with the current gear level any can get 108% accuracy, 30% crit and 30% surge, especially unbuffed and as Annihilation. Am I missing something?

You don't have 108% accuracy. With how low your surge is, you must have +18% accuracy. You need +8% ACC for PvE. You are 10% ACC over what you need.

Your surge is ridiculously low. Mooch other gear (PvP Battlemaster gear or another class's Rakata gear) to get crit+surge enhancements.

You don't have 108% accuracy. With how low your surge is, you must have +18% accuracy. You need +8% ACC for PvE. You are 10% ACC over what you need.

Your surge is ridiculously low. Mooch other gear (PvP Battlemaster gear or another class's Rakata gear) to get crit+surge enhancements.

Maybe I am missing something. My accuracy showed 106.5% with those numbers. My special attacks showed an accuracy 10% higher. Is that the number I need to shoot for?

I swapped some mods from columi gear. Now at 30% crit and 74.56% multiplier. Accuracy is down to 100% but that is the normal attacks. Special attacks are 110%. Looks like I could stand to drop some more accuracy?

I will have to play around with miss some more. Thankfully biochem saves me mad credits

Kiba, what about this thread that talks about building your Marauder (Annihlation Spec).

It's interesting seeing his direction and guidance on the system but I find it near impossible cuz it involves grinding very hard to get PvE stuff to boost specific stats. it also did'nt get a sticky but it sounds interesting. Read it and tell me what you think cuz I found yours to be more realistic.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=256372&highlight=marauders+struggling

In all honesty I found it quite difficult to read; its organization, imo, was a bit off but it does get through all the important points. It doesn't look like it was updated with the current Crit/Surge caps though.

In order to improve our gear it involves a lot of grinding - whether PvE or PvP content - in order to get access to better enhancements and overall better gear.

Kiba,

Do you plan on doing a high-end gear guide? Would be awesome to see the best list of mods to get as well

To be quite honest I'm finding it hard to log into the game much at all and most of my focus is currently on my schoolwork. End-game gearing is tiresome and stupid, involving farming Columi commendations for Agent gear to get the Power/Surge enhancement. The Columi Weaponmaster Implants - off the top of my head - are best in slot due to the possibility of the Augment slot. As far as trinkets go, I run with the Matrix Cube and the Rakata-level Internal Damage proc Relic from NMFabricator Droid.

Other than that, the only thing you need to worry about with gearing is the Crit/Surge/Accuracy caps. I don't feel a "best in slot" list is really necessary and I'm not going to be the one to produce one.

Maybe I am missing something. My accuracy showed 106.5% with those numbers. My special attacks showed an accuracy 10% higher. Is that the number I need to shoot for?

I swapped some mods from columi gear. Now at 30% crit and 74.56% multiplier. Accuracy is down to 100% but that is the normal attacks. Special attacks are 110%. Looks like I could stand to drop some more accuracy?

I will have to play around with miss some more. Thankfully biochem saves me mad credits

If you open up your character page and don't touch anything your Accuracy should - ideally - read no more than 98%. You get a base 100% chance to hit with Special Attacks and a base 90% chance to hit with your Basic Attack (Assault).

You want your Special Accuracy at 108%; I don't think I could've stressed that enough in the guide. I will admit the way they have it set up is confusing but making sure you're looking at the right numbers is important.

Edited by Kibaken

If you open up your character page and don't touch anything your Accuracy should - ideally - read no more than 98%. You get a base 100% chance to hit with Special Attacks and a base 90% chance to hit with your Basic Attack (Assault).

You want your Special Accuracy at 108%; I don't think I could've stressed that enough in the guide. I will admit the way they have it set up is confusing but making sure you're looking at the right numbers is important.

Fail on my part for not reading the WHOLE description. I skimmed the guide where I could and read further on parts I felt relevant. I completely skipped the part about special attacks vs normal.

As a suggestion, when you say "Accuracy 108%" maybe add "Accuracy to 108% on Special Attacks"

But this explains very much why I have been having problems meeting the caps. Thanks.

Edited by Dazink

Fail on my part for not reading the WHOLE description. I skimmed the guide where I could and read further on parts I felt relevant. I completely skipped the part about special attacks vs normal.

As a suggestion, when you say "Accuracy 108%" maybe add "Accuracy to 108% on Special Attacks"

But this explains very much why I have been having problems meeting the caps. Thanks.

All Special attacks (everything but Assault) have a base 100% chance to hit. It is currently theorized that bosses have an 8% Defense chance (parry/deflect). By increasing our Accuracy to 108% we negate the Defense chance for our special abilities (Ravage, Gore, Massacre, Scream, etc, can no longer be dodged/parried/resisted). Any Accuracy over 108% only increases Assault's chance to be dodged/parried, and is therefore quite lackluster compared to other stats.

slash10char

Simply meant adding it into the area where you say

Accuracy to 108% > Surge/Crit > Power

After Reaching Diminishing Return Cap:

Accuracy to 108% > Power > Surge/Crit

Incase someone is like me and looking for a quick reference, but I'm terrible and should read more thoroughly. Anyways, thanks again for pointing it out. Still hard to actually reduce my accuracy considering how much accuracy is on the Rakata level gear.

This has been a costly lesson :p

All filler comes down to personal preference. Which one is better? As I said personal preference. My Ops group always has enough interrupters and, at the moment, no boss actually requires interrupts. Due to that I'd rather the potential oh-**** button if I get lazy or am forced to run through something I'm not supposed to.

I don't know if you're Annihilation, Carnage or Rage. If you're Rage switch to Carnage or Annihilation; it isn't great for PvE.

If you're Annihilation your Survivability comes from your self-heals. Op-buffed and geared-to-the-teeth they'll heal you every chance you get. In my honest opinion extra DPS through Crit (Malice doesn't affect the DR at all) along with an active Survivability (through said self-heals) is much, much better than a passive reduction. Any AoE damage you're taking is more than likely affecting the entire Ops group anyway and, really, is designed to be able to be healed through. You have personal cooldowns and [should] be stocked with MedPacs for the night. That plus your self-heals should be more than enough unless your healers are terrible.

Sorry for the late response - agreed that phantom vs subjugation is down to personal preference. Altho i like more control over the fight, so i went for 6cd on interrupt. True that no boss needs interrupts but they definiatly help your group, ie unload hurts in NM:)

As far as defensive roll goes, still not sure if its better than malice or worse. You are 100% correct that all aoe, thats unavoidable should be healable but still, thats assuming u have 100% gear ready group for the encounter. and 30% is just less preasure on healers, which is always nice to have. Tbh instead of dropping malice im tempted to drop enraged charge for NM runs, 1 less rage on force leap screws your initial rotation one time, at the start of the fight. But instead, with defensive roll u get 30% aoe dmg reduction for the entire fight! thats again, considering we`re talking pve in general and hm/nm ops in particular.

And yeah, didnt write it earlier, thought its obvious that im anni since i was wondering about subjugation vs phantom, my bad.

kinda don't know where else to put it, so I'll ask it here

the Dark Energy Surge relic actually worth it?

picked it up today on the cheap and I have no idea if it was worth the dkp

tooltip reads:

"Equip: Damaging attacks have a 30% chance to deal 168 additional internal damage to the target. This effect can only occur once every 4.5 seconds, and shares this limit with similar damage-dealing effects."

internal dmg ignores armor right?

kinda wasn't paying attention if it procs of dots or no, need to do some testing tomorrow

dmg seems kinda low, but from what I understand it can crit

Kiba,

Healers in my guild have reported that having 2 healing proc trinkets actually works, meaning they both proc at the same time.

I'm gonna get my hands on a 2nd DD trinket and test if it works aswell(should be easy with just assault spam)...it would be awesome if it did.

Kiba how does the Rakata level relics actually work...does it mean that u can't run 2 relics off the fabricator at the same time or can the internal damage relic proc off our bleeds?

Healers have stated that having 2 of them will work so I'm gonna try to get my hands on a 2nd relic next reset, if it does proc it's pure awesome.

kinda don't know where else to put it, so I'll ask it here

the Dark Energy Surge relic actually worth it?

picked it up today on the cheap and I have no idea if it was worth the dkp

tooltip reads:

"Equip: Damaging attacks have a 30% chance to deal 168 additional internal damage to the target. This effect can only occur once every 4.5 seconds, and shares this limit with similar damage-dealing effects."

internal dmg ignores armor right?

kinda wasn't paying attention if it procs of dots or no, need to do some testing tomorrow

dmg seems kinda low, but from what I understand it can crit

They are definitely worth it. I have the one that deals energy damage (Not sure how much...but it's definitely like 240+?). I love it.