Aces?

Argonloris

I've flown with both and against Willie. They are good pilots. I was in a TDM with Evilwillie and I got focused hard but he was able to get top kills (we still lost) and I think he was solo queued. I saw Sleeth as a teammate in a domination match. He got focused hard with 2+ always chasing him around. He was still top 3 in kills and we won.

Same observation here. I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to see Larrah with them a fair amount too. Regardless, from my experience, they're all good pilots individually, but their teamwork is a big force multiplier. As a team, they're tough to beat, I can't say I recall having been in a match when they've been on the losing side. Kudos to them, they've got skills and good teamwork to match.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play on Shadowlands, when I can actually get a match to pop. I run a couple of toons on both sides, so I'm rarely around more than 2 or 3 matches per toon per day. The GSF scene there is horrendous. I've seen 6 v 6 all Pub matches with a Q time over an hour.

My guild used to run pre-made groups at the beginning, but everyone but myself has given it up. The Imp side was so miserable for so long that it scared off most folks.

I do see a few folks that tend to hunt me down when I'm on, but they all seem to have those fancy characters that I don't know how to type. I can definitely second the Rogues and Cymbaline though. I've fought with and against both.

You've had bad luck, then. I have 3 alts I fly with on the Shadowlands and at the worst, I think I've waited 15-20 minutes for a match, and that was abnormal for me. In the evenings it's generally much shorter. Really not all that different from ground PVP, really.

I've seen the Rogues a fair amount and many of them are decent, but no one on the Imps really sticks out to me. There was one guy that was a nightmare for awhile, but I've lost his name since he hasn't been on when I've played, at least in a long while. Another guy in my guild, The Old Timer's Guild, was a really good scout pilot, but I forget what his main's name was for GSF, otherwise I'd suggest him.

What defines an "Ace" though? This whole thread seems to just be a list of pilots who some people think are pretty good. Shouldn't an "Ace" be held to a higher standard? Someone who changes the flow of battle with their mere presence. There are people that I have flown with/against where I knew immediately that they would have to be dealt with or accounted for throughout the course of the match. People who push whichever ship they are flying to its limit, doing things that are either difficult to counter or hard to stop.

In my opinion these Aces should not be considered as such if they primarily fly only one type of ship. Any half decent pilot can become great if they fly only 1 type of ship for a vast majority of their matches. It is the truly exceptional pilots that can make an impact in multiple roles. I have seen fantastic gunship pilots who were horrible in scouts, or great bomber pilots who couldn't fly a gunship if all they had to do was not run into a satellite. These pilots are good at what they specialize in, but have almost no flexibility. This flexibility is something that is needed to compete against an equally skilled enemy team.

Without naming any names, some of the people on the Pot5 republic list are great pilots, but not Aces in my book. They are very one-dimensional, or merely average when not in their primary class of ship. I won't name names because everyone one the pub list knows me, and I think you are all very good, but not all of you are what I consider to be an "Ace."

LOL? He is good at 2 things. Boosting to the capital ship and playong 4 man premades but beyond that? Mediocre at best.

But then, that seems to be the criteria for being an "Ace". How fast you can run to your capital ship.

And you are?

Do I sometimes head to cap ships, yes, if I'm facing a 1:1 in gunship I'm 100% sure I can't win.

So guilty on that charge.

But then again I usually run all over the map when that happens, so definately not always to the cap ship.

I never do this in my scouts/bomber/strikes, which I play more then my gunship anyway.

Pre-mades, well, to be honest 80% of my time I solo queue.

But whatever.

Mediocre? Probably, just like to play a lot and have fun, so I guess that's why a lot of people know me.

Cya in space!

Cheers,

Puc (Red Eclipse)

Edited by Pucmara

And you are?

Do I sometimes head to cap ships, yes, if I'm facing a 1:1 in gunship I'm 100% sure I can't win.

So guilty on that charge.

But then again I usually run all over the map when that happens, so definately not always to the cap ship.

I never do this in my scouts/bomber/strikes, which I play more then my gunship anyway.

Pre-mades, well, to be honest 80% of my time I solo queue.

But whatever.

Mediocre? Probably, just like to play a lot and have fun, so I guess that's why a lot of people know me.

Cya in space!

Cheers,

Puc (Red Eclipse)

I'm just a random nobody who's flown against you enough to know that, while you aren't a terrible pilot, you certainly aren't among the best of Red Eclipse, which I thought was the idea of this particular thread. I most definitely am not either, by the way.

I must have only seen you 20% of the time then, cause I only ever see you in your premade group with you in a gs, 2 scouts and a bomber. :)

Edited by Jandi

In my opinion these Aces should not be considered as such if they primarily fly only one type of ship. Any half decent pilot can become great if they fly only 1 type of ship for a vast majority of their matches. It is the truly exceptional pilots that can make an impact in multiple roles. I have seen fantastic gunship pilots who were horrible in scouts, or great bomber pilots who couldn't fly a gunship if all they had to do was not run into a satellite. These pilots are good at what they specialize in, but have almost no flexibility. This flexibility is something that is needed to compete against an equally skilled enemy team.

You sure about that? I mean, look at pilots like Toe and Scrab. They both fly their scouts exclusively, and are always an important contributor in any match. Sure, Silentwinter can do that and abuse ion railgun in the same match, and there was a while when he was farming kills on a quell, but he's not as good a scout as those two. Likewise, Shock is a decent scout pilot and can pull a 20k match no problem, but he almost always flies his gunship when the stakes are raised. I don't think it's fair to say any of them aren't aces.

Looking over the lists for TEH and Pot5, all I see are pilots I'm glad to have load in to my side of the match. That to me says something important.

(And yeah, I know I need to play Pot5 more. Hopefully I'll finish up enough work that I'll be able to pop in tonight or tomorrow.)

People seem to have a very broad view of what an "ace" is, just because a person is good doesn't mean they're an ace. An ace would be the elite few, whether that be someone good with multiple ships or one doesn't matter, but they're the person you know engaging alone is suicidal. Also an ace isn't someone who's only good with a group, is good at nuking the newbies, or cowering away from the fight and playing vulture. Would argue against a few of those Bastion names but meh, this is an ego stroke thread more than anything, and gets derailed pretty easily.

Only came out of lurking cause I'm bored/sleep deprived in class.

Not sure if covered yet and i know i will get trolled .

But if these r all aces then why do some drop que when their premade faces another premade?

If they were such hot shot pilots they wouldn't be so scared to faces other such aces.

And farming undergeared players dont make u a true ace.

Guess the only way to show whos a real ace is for BW/EA to add ranked space PvP but since most of the premades i see ditch when they face another premade it wont ever be used.

Edited by Peverder

Guess the only way to show whos a real ace is for BW/EA to add ranked space PvP but since most of the premades i see ditch when they face another premade it wont ever be used.

I'd kill for this.

No, literally, if I had to stomp an ant to guarantee I got a spot at BW coding this in, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

If you can't get away from a bomber using only blasters when you're flying a scout, Darwin has a place for you.

What bomber only uses blasters?

What bomber only uses blasters?

I do when we're facing an obvious group of newbies. I also usually challenge the other experienced pilots on my side to do the same, especially in TDM. Makes for a more challenging time, lessens the frustration on the newbies, and promotes harmless competition on my side.

About the Progenitor...

I don't think anyone really knows what it was like for the Empire before that bunch of Imperials got together and started playing. They turned it around for us and really really improved moral. They're also a really nice bunch who give all of us "newbies" encouragement and suggestions on how to improve our game. The Republic still dominates most matches, so I can understand why someone would be irritated to see one of the small handful of good/competent Imperials players switching sides constantly.

While I find the angry posts excessive, and totally uncalled for, I understand where they're coming from. It gets very frustrating constantly playing on the losing side all the time.

The player in question, while a very good player, tends to play whichever side is winning more on a given day or whichever side is fielding most of it's aces. He doesn't deserve all the publicity he's getting here. I'm starting to regret even naming him as an ace. But what's done is done. Whatever anyone thinks about him, he's a one of the best Bomber Pilots.

Also, before anyone says "GET GOOD" or whatever other worthless dribble, let me explain a little more about our server/faction's player base here:

Most of the players on the Imperial teams, contribute nothing. Maybe about 4k damage, 0 kills, 0 assists, and 10 deaths.

In most games during prime time, it's always a one sided slaughter in favor of the Republic. Sometimes we have a couple good Imperial Pilots who fight their hardest to try and even up the score, but in the end, they can't do anything if the rest of the team isn't supporting them.

In my guild, I can't even get anyone interested in trying to play and get better at GSF, they just quickly lose a couple games for the daily on their alts for the free XP, if anything at all. It's so bad I'm looking to go to another server where, hopefully, the games are more even and exciting.

^This about situation on Progenitor and why we are mad because of Donnie's/Razorwire's behaviour. About our own tactics - if we would tell you, they would be compromised and useless, right? It's not "A, B, leave C" or "tunnel him/her". If these are your major tactics - oh well.

^This about situation on Progenitor and why we are mad because of Donnie's/Razorwire's behaviour. About our own tactics - if we would tell you, they would be compromised and useless, right? It's not "A, B, leave C" or "tunnel him/her". If these are your major tactics - oh well.

Seriously? You have some kind of top-secret strategy you're unwilling to reveal to the masses? If what you say is true, your opponents on Progenitor are already aware of your game plan thanks to the "traitor". So posting tactics here wouldn't come back to haunt you.

At least give us a hint. I'm genuinely curious what you could possibly be up to.

Seriously? You have some kind of top-secret strategy you're unwilling to reveal to the masses? If what you say is true, your opponents on Progenitor are already aware of your game plan thanks to the "traitor". So posting tactics here wouldn't come back to haunt you.

At least give us a hint. I'm genuinely curious what you could possibly be up to.

The possibility of "secret tactics" in a game this simple is laughable.

You're taking this way out of proportion. I mean, I'd respect more those who switch to bolster the losing side than the other way around, but as a regular imp pilot on the Prog, I've barely seen anything beyond "A, B, leave C". I'd suggest you simply try making a Rep pilot alt, fly a little on the other side if you start getting too frustrated.

^All "Impossible because I can't imagine that/I can't find any tactic myself so I will lolz on forum" posts.

Sorry, no. And I won't argue with anyone about that. It is enough for us that thanks to our cooperation this way we are winning 8/10 matches (up from 2/10 when I was facing Republic premades alone, and up from 6/10 when we were trying simple "go A,B and leave C"). So, you know, provoking me with such posts to say anything is simply pointless. Find your own tactics.

I've specified all "Aces" from Progenitor in my opinion, so any further offtopic discussion with me here comes to an end. We'll meet in the sky.

o7 Lindemann

Edited by AchtAcht

^All "Impossible because I can't imagine that/I can't find any tactic myself so I will lolz on forum" posts.

Sorry, no. And I won't argue with anyone about that. It is enough for us that thanks to our cooperation this way we are winning 8/10 matches (up from 2/10 when I was facing Republic premades alone, and up from 6/10 when we were trying simple "go A,B and leave C"). So, you know, provoking me with such posts to say anything is simply pointless. Find your own tactics.

I've specified all "Aces" from Progenitor in my opinion, so any further offtopic discussion with me here comes to an end. We'll meet in the sky.

o7 Lindemann

Pretty much the response I expected. Wasn't trying to provoke. I was genuinely curious. But you've basically answered the question anyway.

Not that you'll read this, but FYI: cooperation is one thing. Tactics are another. I believe you're confusing the two. By all means, stick with what's working, but don't imply you're enacting some brilliant GSF stratagem that nobody else is savvy enough to come up with.

I'm a little late to the game here, but I wanted to thank y'all for adding me to the JC list on both my pilots. I know I fly a lolship, but I try to do the best with it that I can.

As for the multiple ship/ace thing, I've tried to fly some of the other ships a little bit. The main problem I have is that the zoomier ships wind up getting me motion sick by the end of a match. I even have to stay 'right side up' most of the time in the gunship, even though it totally doesn't matter.

I think we've got a pretty good GSF community on JC. I've flown and talked with great folks on both sides and hope more people stick with GSF. Repeatedly running into a premade wall while flying on the Imp side kinda sucks, but it makes those kills and occasional wins so much better.

well ill tell ya in my pin don't think it matters which side your flying at any givin time or what ship you are playing

when you do what ever it is that needs to be done weather its sitting on a point or caping of killing or supporting it takes it all to win the match

more often then not we lose perspective of that from time to time even my self am guilty of it on occasion but

a true ace will do what ever he has to to help his team win and

armond mentioned scrab and shock and toe and the guys just wanted to say we miss you all its no fighting fighting ourself's all the time lol but those are great pilots and ive seen shock tear some stuff up on his gs and his scout don't think it really matter the damage table at the end of the match because you can kill faster with out having to put out 100k in damage then you have still done your job

and if we wernt suppose to fly both sides why does our legacy's have achevments for both sides and why cant we have a faction base based off our light and dark side alignment instead of just jedi or sith take vader he was jedi then sith then jedi again as was qite a few other's why not have it so that you have to play both side's of the coin and then when you find balance and stand it on its edge that you are your sharpest