World first Operations - Casual/RPers need not reply.

Nobody will care much about tier 1 world firsts purely because there are so many variables that can benefit certain guilds that have a chance at it.

There are many ways to derive enjoyment from an MMO and progressive raiding is one of them, much like RP and PvP are others. It is no ones place to say what audience the game is made for because everybody would have been taken into consideration during development, so why flame people who are interested in world firsts?

It is dumb to say that nobody plays SWTOR for raiding because it is obviously untrue, if you're not interested in PvE progression then don't enter a thread about it. Simple.

Meh. Everybody had the opportunity to get in on day one of the early launch, it's not like it was a random lottery. Whining and moaning about how the game doesn't REALLY start until you're in is basically akin to buying the game months after everyone else, and then disregarding the achievements of people who came before you.

Getting in on day one is a big part of any world first achievement.

Edited by raelimar

I understand that the whole concept of "world first" and "server first" evolved out of a general sense of competition. Being the first to complete something challenging does make you feel good, because that means you didn't rely on help videos and step by step instructions online to do it (because they couldn't have been written yet.... because it hasn't been done lol).

As far as how I would value such achievements, I'd say in this particular game, it doesn't and should not apply... like ever. I know there is a positive side to the concept of world-first. But if there is any recognition of this achievement in an official sense, it WILL start a chain reaction of people mindlessly grinding out achievements ala xbox live. I've seen it before with many people I know and care about. I introduced several of my close friends to the world of MMOs, and they too fell into the trap of achievements. When they accomplished them, I asked them if it was worth it. "Meh" was their answer. Rift was popular for promoting this type of thing (and that was the game that got a lot of my friends hooked).

Sure it may give you a sense of accomplishment for a moment... but who will remember your name? Because of the potentially damaging affect it would have on the purpose of this MMO (due to design, it really should be of it's own genre), which is to tell a great story, too many people could be drawn in to the lure of stroking their e-egos, for a momentary sense of accomplishment that no one will ever remember or value beyond a few seconds... if that.

Addendum: To elaborate/clarify, I believe it would be damaging because you will start to see level 50 consulars wondering what the heck the "scorekeeper" is. You will see level 50 bounty hunters asking "what event is the "great hunt"? can I get achievements for it? When does it start?"

Edited by Matrxhasyou

I have news for you, the end game content will make or break this game.

rerolling a new alt just to 'hear the story' 8 times might not be what a big chunk of players want to or care to do.

There better be newer flashpoints and operations or people will unsub once they've seen all the story they care to see.

There will definitely be newer heroics, flashpoints and operations introduced in patches and expansions. But the game itself won't change. Voice acted questgiver interaction and story driven character progression will continue being the focus as they are the very foundation from which all other elements of SWTOR (quests, heroics, flashpoints and operations) are derived. The game dies if they aren't.

Previous BioWare titles (not Blizzard, not Turbine, not Sony, not Oblivian, not NCsoft or Bethesda) such as KOTOR, Sith Lords & Mass Effect made SWTOR the game it is. Star Wars fans like myself who have been on this train since 2003 (a year before WoW even launched) prefer it just the way it is and expect the storylines to continue in sequels much like the movies themselves. Flashpoints and operations will of course be part of the game's growth, they just won't drive it.

Edited by GalacticKegger

Endgame content always has been and always will be the defining grade of an MMO, from EQ to WoW and now to SWTOR the success is always tied to it's top end.

You can only level so many characters, only run through so many story arcs, SWTOR sought to bring narrative driven gameplay and so far has done so very well. But if they fail to properly expand the endgame content it will not thrive, only wither, something Bioware is definately aware of.

I hope they bring a new flavor to endgame raiding, as there are only so many kinds of fire one must not stand in, but that raiding will need to be there. Progression is simply a natural growth from it, and stems well before WoW, FoH and Furor are reknown for pushing content in EQ, WoW simply recongnized that as a draw and catered heavily to it.

Achievements only serve as a system initiated timestamp, the reward has always been moot, an icing on the cake for endgame raiders. We always pushed content to push ourselves. SWTOR will cater to it, hopefully not to the extent that WoW did, but it will.

After all, if there wasn't a best on your server, country, region, or world, how else would you measure yourself to push yourself higher?

After all, if there wasn't a best on your server, country, region, or world, how else would you measure yourself to push yourself higher?
Some call this game KOTOR 3, the MMO... and they are absolutely right because it is. End game extends and expands KOTOR's progression system and is modeled after the movies (remember this is George Lucas' baby.) That means epic character storylines converging with epic battle scenes between Jedi & Sith, light side & dark side, Republic and Empire - the same way Bioware has always done it. Play KOTOR and Sith Lords and ye shall know this game. If catering to in-game world/server firsts is on the BW/LA to-do list, it's likely at or near the bottom. Though I'm sure there will be a web-based SWTOR version of sites like WoWprogress. Edited by GalacticKegger

Best?

Being the first people to do something does not make you 'best', it just makes you the first to do something.

It doesn't mean that you are best. The 'best' could be someone that only has a couple of hours to play on weekends.

Lots of people will get to 50 before them and do content. It doesn't make those other people 'best'.

They can come up with systems to figure out 'best', but 'first' is never going to be it.

Besides, by your measure, once someone is first, there is no need to push yourself to try harder. It's done. There is only one title, and you can not take it away.

If they had a special timed mission mode for some raid and everyone in the group that holds the record was allowed a special title, then you might be on to something.

I could push myself/my group to try harder to beat the best time and take the title, which could then inspire those that had the title to try and get it back, and others as well would be trying to beat the time.

That is a system of 'best' and motivation.

Server firsts are just rewards for people that skip all the dialogue and play more than the next guy.

They prove and mean nothing.

Edited by Mithros

There is even a site swtorprogress already (I think it is even done by the same people like wowprogress).

Hey there,

I would like to note that WoWProgress isn't related with the mentioned site. We're going to launch our SWTOR rankings at TORProgress.com

Kernel @ WoWProgress

Edited by Kernl