Mother machine question...

Segastorm

I believe it's one of the few choices in the game where choice alignments are in reverse in relation to the class you're playing. What I mean is, letting her go to possibly wreck havoc on Belsavis (wasn't she also going after the Rakata? It's been months since I saw that cutscene) was a dark side choice, while keeping her contained was regarded as a light side choice.

an unstable machine that believes it is sentient and has the ability to create entirely new species, probably should not be free to do whatever it wants. it would be incredibly dangerous. it could become angered at the republic or the empire, and create an army of entirely new species that could be completely resistant to current weaponry.

locking it away is by far the safest bet. therefore, it's the light side choice.

This part was just a little confusing in the sense that I had no idea how keeping her imprisoned and freeing her were light/dark side options......so why was freeing her dark side and why was keeping her contained light side?

The reasoning is poorly explained in the game (it is SI storyline so what do expect), but if you think about the options you can sort of see what the intent was.

Dark Side Option: Release a unstable delusional computer program to do whatever it wants in exchange for a promise of more power. Basically the options is supposed to be getting power without caring for what consequence may happen in the pursuit of that power.

Light Saide Option: ......Don't do the above. Probably would be more appropriate as a neutral option with no LS/DS change, but meh.