Morality Choices

priest

Anyone else think that the Republic is full of a bunch of tools? Seriously, on Ord Mantel we have detention without cause, prisoner abuse, drug dealing, corruption...oh, and a hemingwayish game of landmine roulette.

I get it...blurring the lines between good and evil...I do get it. But I don't always agree with the 'good/evil' implications of your actions. I don't think that returning medicne that was stolen to the person that stole it is a 'good' action. If I were in the situation, I would think that negotiating some sort of quid pro quo, convincing the Republic doctor that helping the refugees would be a good political and moral move is a better option than 'give to him or give to her.' I disagree with the moral option.

One more, then I'll get to my point. At the end of that quest tree you have the choice to kill or to let the traitor go free. What about incarceration? Why can't Viidu get any true justice? I think that there should be other options.

I understand what Bioware is wanting to do, however I think that there needs to be more choices on response.

oh...also there needs to be a sarcasm button.

There's a reason so few people play Republic. You've nailed one of them. The stories suck.

don't get me wrong...I'm enjoying the game; however I'm just saying that the responses available don't always either fit into character, don't take into account other variables, or are just on/off choices. In my opinion Mass Effect was EXCELLENT in this regard. I really had to ponder what choices to make in that game. Here, I feel like the reason I have to poinder is more a lack of other things to choose.

Anyone else think that the Republic is full of a bunch of tools? Seriously, on Ord Mantel we have detention without cause, prisoner abuse, drug dealing, corruption...oh, and a hemingwayish game of landmine roulette.

I get it...blurring the lines between good and evil...I do get it. But I don't always agree with the 'good/evil' implications of your actions. I don't think that returning medicne that was stolen to the person that stole it is a 'good' action. If I were in the situation, I would think that negotiating some sort of quid pro quo, convincing the Republic doctor that helping the refugees would be a good political and moral move is a better option than 'give to him or give to her.' I disagree with the moral option.

One more, then I'll get to my point. At the end of that quest tree you have the choice to kill or to let the traitor go free. What about incarceration? Why can't Viidu get any true justice? I think that there should be other options.

I understand what Bioware is wanting to do, however I think that there needs to be more choices on response.

oh...also there needs to be a sarcasm button.

I feel the same way about the Empire. The entire population either seems to be composed of murderers or bleeding-hearts, and very few people occupy a middle ground. One moment I am assassinating some guy's wife in cold blood without cause, and in the next I am being begged by some engineer to save all his work on prosthetics rather than sell it off.

The problem is, the world isn't all black and white. I understand the larger, polarized context regarding the bigger picture issues (IE, should I kill this Sith Lord, or display mercy, and how will that affect millions?), but isn't Star Wars supposed to be kind of a dirty, run-down galaxy that's mostly populated by denizens who can't be shoehorned into sainthood or totally demonized so easily?

Here's my 2c for what its worth - go with what YOU feel your character would say / do and live with the consequences, its what I plan to do. Light and Dark min / max may be the best way to go, but I wont play my character out of character.. or is that redundant ?

I feel the same way about the Empire. The entire population either seems to be composed of murderers or bleeding-hearts, and very few people occupy a middle ground. One moment I am assassinating some guy's wife in cold blood without cause, and in the next I am being begged by some engineer to save all his work on prosthetics rather than sell it off.

The problem is, the world isn't all black and white. I understand the larger, polarized context regarding the bigger picture issues (IE, should I kill this Sith Lord, or display mercy, and how will that affect millions?), but isn't Star Wars supposed to be kind of a dirty, run-down galaxy that's mostly populated by denizens who can't be shoehorned into sainthood or totally demonized so easily?

If I were to go by A New Hope I'd disagree with you. The good guys look good...and the bad guys (except for Obi Wan) all have british accents. By the way, that's how I always figure out who the bad guy is :D

seriously, it was black and white, and only with the continual addition of the mythos, including the EU and the prequels the great flannel god was able to add layers of overlapping morality. "It's not ok to kill...unless you're killing a bad guy, then we're all on board."

I think that they did a good job on the game; I won't nitpick, BUT one of the system's they touted...the morality/story system as being revolutionary for a MMORPG seems to not be as verbose as it should be. Is it possible that as I level up the choices will get harder? sure...but again, offering no really good choice, no good compromise, really sort of sticks in my craw.

Here's my 2c for what its worth - go with what YOU feel your character would say / do and live with the consequences, its what I plan to do. Light and Dark min / max may be the best way to go, but I wont play my character out of character.. or is that redundant ?

That's the problem...neither of the choices are what I would do. Do I have to choose between letting a pirate free for the New Republic or Kill him...why can't there be a third option...like leaving him in prison to rot, but conning the info from him? THAT's a smuggler thing to do.

Do you mean to say, in the world of black and white choices you think you will make some of both and thus toe the gray line of the force? It takes effort to be all good or all evil.

No...I'm saying that the choice that is marked as 'good...' isn't very good. I get a mission to retrieve medical supplies for the Republic that were stolen. I track down who stole it, and it turns out it was a civ. doc who was treating kids...who had the meds stolen from her before she could use it. I go get the meds...and the right choice is to give the meds to the civ. doctor who stole it.

classic relative morality choice "In the instance of life or death...little children always win." There was no third option to negotiate a partnership between the two...therby helping both get what they want."

I am in complete agreement with this. I played a bounty hunter during the weekend beta and was loving the morality choices because there was almost always some third way of handling each instance. I was expecting the smuggler to be the same and instead its tryin to figure out which of the two morally crappy outcomes i prefer. The one i hated most was the mine runnin, u do the right thing and get treated like wat u did was wrong... doesnt make me want to support the republic at all.