Leveling/Endgame Keybinding Advice

Jiale

Hey all,

Before I started playing SWTOR, I read through a few forums on keybinding and clicking, and decided I would experiment to find out what worked for me. As it is, I’m not a clicker, I’m a devoted keybinder. The thing is, I have a slightly odd keybinding arrangement, and I’m wondering if any of you think it will affect endgame for me (I’m currently level 30).

I’m open to trying something new, but if possible, I would prefer to keep my setup. But if I’m not going to keep my setup, then I’d appreciate opinions on how to re-keybind.

My setup:

Currently I’m moving with my arrow keys. I’m not strafing. In general, my right hand stays on the arrow keys (I use the 0 key to the right of the arrow keys for my speeder). My left hand rests with my thumb on the “c” key, my pinky on the tab key, and my middle fingers on 1, 2, and 3. Tab is what I use to target the nearest enemy. “c” pulls up the map, which I use frequently. 1, 2, and 3 are various attacks. (I’m a trooper, if that helps). Actually, my attack keys are currently: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, `, q, w, e, r, a, s, d, f, x, and v.

Questions:

1. Should I be strafing? I’m not really used to it, and if I strafe, then how do I turn? I think my setup makes it difficult to strafe, but I’m not sure.

2. Should I be using the control key to give me more options?

3. I’ve never really ever used wasd to move, but I might try it if someone could help me figure out how to set things up.

4. General advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

I currently have mine set up as: Q, E, F, R, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, X, C, V.

I would recommend using a modifier key such as Shift or Control, depending on which your hand feels more comfortable with.

Switch your turn keys to strafe, and instead get used to using the mouse to turn. It's much quicker, and is more accurate. Doing this will allow you to easily kite enemies in PvP and throw off their accuracy. It can also work extremely well in operations with AOE effects on the ground.

And if you run out of keys to use, you can use another modifier key, or you can buy a Razer Naga mouse. Those are $80 though, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you absolutely need it.

This setup will take awhile to get used to, it took me a few days of screwing up in game, but it was worth it over all for better gameplay. Just stay away from FP's and PvP until you have it down.

So you don't use your mouse at all when in combat?

The set-up which is most commonly used, is that you move your character with your left hand, most use WASD for movement, I use ESDF, some completely unbinds the ability to move backward, some also unbinds the ability to move forward and then move forward by holding both mousebuttons pressed. Do whatever feels best for you.

Then you have abilities bound to keys around your movement keys, which keys you use for abilities depends on which keys you can quickly press while still being able to keep your fingers on the movement keys, some people can reach further than others.

You then turn by moving your mouse while holding down the right mouse button, so while holding down the right mouse button movement is basically the same as it is in most action games.

Ahhh. So most people strafe with wasd/esdf and use their mouse to turn? I guess that sortof makes sense. I'll try it out and see how it feels. What are the advantages of wasd vs. esdf? And in combat, does the right hand just sit on the mouse waiting to move, or is it useful in any way?

I use esdf to move also because it feels more natural....I have tried to use the mouse to turn like everyone says is so much better but I cannot seem to keep from having my camera move up and down and get all out of wack while fighting. It seems to be much easier for me to just turn with keys at this point...any advice there? Is there a camera lock? I have the Naga mouse so I am constantly hitting buttons on it so maybe that is why my camera moves so much who knows?

Also, it's not a bad idea to bind non-combat abilities to the same keys across all toons.

I have "insert" bound to my best speeder.

"Home" is bound to quick travel.

"Page up" is my class buff.

"page down" is out of combat heal

"end" is fleet pass

I've been fine-tuning my set up for months, so it's a learning process, finding what works for me.