Maintenance: October 24th, 2017

EricMusco

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they dropped this in notes and went off the grid. No response to the player base at all.

And this isn't even the big maintenance/merger/patch/etc yet. Just imagine the shady stuff that's going to go down during server merges that they'll forget to mention until after the fact.

This is really getting old...

Hi all,

Today’s maintenance was part of the United Forces effort!

We have completed the upgrade of the Game Servers along with all their supporting infrastructure in the Data Centers. We made a large investment of new hardware and software and one of our primary goals was to substantially reduce our footprint while improving our overall server capacity. During our evaluation of the new servers, we determined we could also combine our North American datacenters. That also occurred today and we have officially moved out of our West Coast location. Our testing showed no impact on the gameplay experience, but we expect some of you playing on formerly West Coast servers may see higher ping times. We’ll use the next two weeks to smooth out any kinks and resolve any performance issues encountered.

You’ll see the same Servers today that you saw yesterday. They’re just running on new hardware and, some, in different locations. As announced previously the move to the five (5) new Servers will be on Wednesday, November 8, 2017. At that time all Game Servers and the SWTOR website will be down for up to 12 hours. We’ll let you know the actual start time a few days before.

Report any specific issues you encounter to Customer Service as we’ve established an escalation process for critical issues. Please be a bit patient with us over the coming weeks as we unite players from a variety of servers and try to make this a smooth and painless process for everyone.

Cheers!

-Keith--

You lied to us again !!!

Merging servers to the East coast has made the APAC ping go from 220 to over 300ms in pvp.

Did you not read our posts in the merge forum thread?

Do you not care about your APAC players.

Did you even take us into consideration when you made this decision of did you forget this is an international game, not an North American and EU game?

You’ve finally killed the game and you do t even realise how many people are going to unsub over this, even people in your own country.

You mislead us again !!! An lied by omission...

I shouldn’t be surprised because Bioware have been doing it over and over to us for years... I guess it’s my own fault for resubbing and being too gullible by giving you another chance.

Never again, EA and Bioware will never get another cent out of my family.

Edit: any players who don’t think this game is in maintenance mode are extremely naive. They have reduced their foot print (costs) and do not care they are losing players over this decision. They have probably crunched some numbers some where that shows the money they save on the foot print vs the players they will lose will keep them making mo eh till they turn off game. They do not care about you or care.

So they dropped this in notes and went off the grid. No response to the player base at all.

And this isn't even the big maintenance/merger/patch/etc yet. Just imagine the shady stuff that's going to go down during server merges that they'll forget to mention until after the fact.

This is really getting old...

Just unsub... they are going to continue to lie and not take responsibility or tell the truth about anything... they new in advance this was happening.... you don’t just decide on the fly to make a decision like this.. it takes time and planning...

He lied in his post..... again... he can’t even tell the truth about why they moved to the east coast.,, he lied by omission and misled us to believe we would have a real west coast server... HE KNEW... HE KNEW IN ADVANCE... nobody can say truthfully he didn’t know... but he didn’t tell us and people resubbed... then he drops this massive - major bomb shell that is more damaging to the game than anything they’ve done in the past year...

The game is being killed off through cost savings and they are lying to us to milk the remaining players... why else announce this after the fact?... because they thought they could catch the last remaining guillible people like myself into resubbing... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I guess they needed my one month sub money (3 accounts) to pay for their coffee for the next few months because EA are cost cutting so much they ha e to pay for their own coffee...

APAC player here my ping went from an already dismal 200-250 to now 280-420 ms. This game is simply unplayable now. I could cop 280 if the ping was consistent the entire time but it fluctuates so much I'm pressing abilities 2 or 3 times for them to register. 1 less sub for you Bioware.

Our testing showed no impact on the gameplay experience, but we expect some of you playing on formerly West Coast servers may see higher ping times. We’ll use the next two weeks to smooth out any kinks and resolve any performance issues encountered.

Keith, my friend. This makes no sense. Higher ping does negatively impact gameplay experience. So that sentence basically says "our testing showed no impact on the gameplay experience, but we expect west coast people's gameplay experience to be worse...and RIP APAC" :confused: I don't know how you could possibly smooth out the kinks of having my "west coast" server physically located on the opposite side of the continent from me. :(

My ping went from 60ms to 110ms. Admittedly, I was expecting much worse. But it's still not cool. Probably the most annoying and strange thing is that we will now have two east coast servers for NA. Why not just make one? Can we at least get cheap transfers back then? Because people are going to want to consolidate onto one, which was kind of the whole point of United Forces, right?

Edited by teclado

I m a Aussiue and on Harb West Coast and my ping from 185-210ms to 242 ms and it spikes sometimes to 340 ms and same on East coast server.

On Europe server is 320-380 ms and can spike to 440 ms sometimes

but in terms of raiding 320-350 ms isn't going to impact your game play too much if its 400+ ms then your starting to get into trouble. If you want to improve your latency a little then turn on Force Triple Buffering in game profile in video cards driver as long as your pc can handle this

Hi all,

During our evaluation of the new servers, we determined we could also combine our North American datacenters. That also occurred today and we have officially moved out of our West Coast location.

Our testing showed no impact on the gameplay experience, but we expect some of you playing on formerly West Coast servers may see higher ping times.

We’ll use the next two weeks to smooth out any kinks and resolve any performance issues encountered.

You’ll see the same Servers today that you saw yesterday. They’re just running on new hardware and, some, in different locations. As announced previously the move to the five (5) new Servers will be on Wednesday, November 8, 2017. At that time all Game Servers and the SWTOR website will be down for up to 12 hours. We’ll let you know the actual start time a few days before.

Cheers!

-Keith--

Let me first say, i started moving characters off Shadowlands to test other servers. Just a few at first for pings and populations.

all said and done I had moved quite a few before the announcement of the server merges....I was a bit disappointed as i just moved toons around costing only 90CC each. which i can take. BUT this most recent news on the server consolidation just pushed me over the edge.

here is the reason why. I just finished moving all my toons off shadowlands to west coast servers in anticipation of the merges to come. I wanted them all on a west coast server for the move. I just took a job that put me in SoCal, so west coast servers are great. 72-144 pings on EAST COAST servers went down to 4ms-16ms pings on the WEST COAST servers.

GREAT NEWS!!!!

BUT . . . when it was decided to consolidate the "North American" servers to EAST COAST servers, the pings are what i had on TeH and TSL. why not just make 1 massive North American server then. why even have a west and east coast server when they are all on the east coast.

Let me put this into a cost to the community, just my costs for the character transfers onto a different coast's servers.

20170930 - 9

20171001 - 9

20171005 - 11

20171010 - 3

20171015 - 2

20171020 - 5

20171024 - 39

78 character transfers @ 90 CC each =

7,020 CC - which is about $50

That was spent to place these characters onto servers with under 20ms pings. and now i have to deal with EAST COAST ping times?

I want a refund for all characters transferred as this is a complete disregard for the community and players like myself that made those moves for better pings. We were excited for the merge and to actually have better ping times for a game we pay to play, be it with a monthly sub or Cartel Market/Coin purchases.

If i had known this was planned, the move would not have been done. I feel mislead and intentionally misinformed with the planning of the server merges in hopes of collecting useless character transfers.

This has a huge impact on my gamplay experience and EA/BW funding for future SWTOR content.

Just look at all the replies to this thread and other posts by an outraged west coast and pacific community base.

Edited by Liquor

I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding that the move to a single datacenter wasn't communicated...

I just read the whole thread during breakfast and I choose ^^this post as the winner so far. ;)

Yesterday, I stayed away from the game completely. I had a very bad feeling about the update and I particularly had a strong feeling that there would be something more happening than they announced. Looks like I was right.

My ping has tripled too... this is getting really old, all the things you guys "forget" to tell the community. When is enough, enough? i dont get why this keeps happening, but im sure you will say " we know for next time" .. again /sigh

I get the feeling this may be the oddest PR stunt.

Soon we will get a post, 'Having listened to your feedback. We are going to reopen the west coast server!' then by doing nothing but keeping the servers how they were people will be thanking the devs for listen to them.

That or they just don't care.

I don't think that is the case but you could look at the utter lack of content, the desire to ignore story and move to group content, nerfs and the shutting of the west coast server as an attempt ruin the game in record time. It would then at least make sense and not done simply through being crazy.

Though I would be grateful if someone could say how Keith is a player and wants what is best for the players.

Let me first say, i started moving characters off Shadowlands to test other servers. Just a few at first for pings and populations.

all said and done I had moved quite a few before the announcement of the server merges....I was a bit disappointed as i just moved toons around costing only 90CC each. which i can take. BUT this most recent news on the server consolidation just pushed me over the edge.

here is the reason why. I just finished moving all my toons off shadowlands to west coast servers in anticipation of the merges to come. I wanted them all on a west coast server for the move. I just took a job that put me in SoCal, so west coast servers are great. 72-144 pings on EAST COAST servers went down to 4ms-16ms pings on the WEST COAST servers.

GREAT NEWS!!!!

BUT . . . when it was decided to consolidate the "North American" servers to EAST COAST servers, the pings are what i had on TeH and TSL. why not just make 1 massive North American server then. why even have a west and east coast server when they are all on the east coast.

Let me put this into a cost to the community, just my costs for the character transfers onto a different coast's servers.

20170930 - 9

20171001 - 9

20171005 - 11

20171010 - 3

20171015 - 2

20171020 - 5

20171024 - 39

78 character transfers @ 90 CC each =

7,020 CC - which is about $50

That was spent to place these characters onto servers with under 20ms pings. and now i have to deal with EAST COAST ping times?

I want a refund for all characters transferred as this is a complete disregard for the community and players like myself that made those moves for better pings. We were excited for the merge and to actually have better ping times for a game we pay to play, be it with a monthly sub or Cartel Market/Coin purchases.

If i had known this was planned, the move would not have been done. I feel mislead and intentionally misinformed with the planning of the server merges in hopes of collecting useless character transfers.

This has a huge impact on my gamplay experience and EA/BW funding for future SWTOR content.

Just look at all the replies to this thread and other posts by an outraged west coast and pacific community base.

Wow, that sucks.

I did some testing on The Harbinger (EC, IP 159.153.65.219) and on Jedi Covenant (WC, IP 159.153.65.234); both of these IP addresses are located in California.

Am I missing something? Or perhaps the servers for EC and WC were always located in California (the West Coast), because I have seen this claim made in the past as well.

When Kieth uses the term ''data center'' and its ''West Coast location'', do we know that this is actually synonymous with the server and its actual geographic location? Or is it that their datacenters/servers were previously just located in separate places in California?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong and have misunderstood something, but I think everyone flipping out in here needs to wait for some clarification.

EDIT/UPDATE: I'm from the EU, and went to log in on both servers: my ping remained exactly the same (98-105, ignoring the occasional spike). I also ran a traceroute on both servers and received pings in the 90s. It seems unlikely I'd receive identical pings from both sides of the US.

Edited by Dilemmas

you guys there at EA will probably see all of the Australians leave the game now. WELL DONE!!!!!!!

up until now Australians could not do enough DPS to clear Master Mode Ops, but now going from 200~ ms to 500+ ms there is not hope of us clearing Veteran Mode Ops. GREAT JOB!

do u guys understand that latency = DPS so by increasing our latency by triple we have now gone from doing 7.5k - 8.5K DPS to now only doing 5k - 6k~ DPS.

STOP REDUCING OUR ABILITY TO CLEAR CONTENT.

You guys that work on this game should come and play it from here in Australia and find out how much Australians hate connecting to American Servers and having to put up with 500 MS or higher.

we usually where sitting on 2 bars for the latency thing under the mini map but now we sit on a red bar all the time now. GREAT JOB!

Edited by Rzfk

I did some testing on The Harbinger (EC, IP 159.153.65.219) and on Jedi Covenant (WC, IP 159.153.65.234); both of these IP addresses are located in California.

Am I missing something? Or perhaps the servers for EC and WC were always located in California (the East Coast), because I have seen this claim made in the past as well.

When Kieth uses the term ''data center'' and its ''West Coast location'', do we know that this is actually synonymous with the server and its actual geographic location? Or is it that their datacenters/servers were previously just located in separate places in California?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong and have misunderstood something, but I think everyone flipping out in here needs to wait for some clarification.

Depends on how you tested. If you just did a geolocation search, odds are you got the location that is registered for that IP range in the whois database. Which will usually be the corporate HQ, and has nothing to do with where that ip is actually assigned to.

you guys there at EA will probably see all of the Australians leave the game now. WELL DONE!!!!!!!

up until now Australians could not do enough DPS to clear Master Mode Ops, but now going from 200~ ms to 500+ ms there is not hope of us clearing Veteran Mode Ops. GREAT JOB!

do u guys understand that latency = DPS so by increasing our latency by triple we have now gone from doing 7.5k - 8.5K DPS to now only doing 5k - 6k~ DPS.

You guys that work on this game should come and play it from here in Australia and find out how much Australians hate connecting to American Servers and having to put up with 500 MS or higher.

we usually where sitting on 2 bars for the latency thing under the mini map but now we sit on a red bar all the time now. GREAT JOB!

if u do not give Australian players their 200 MS Latency back, I will be unsubscribing and I will never return.

Edited by Rzfk

Depends on how you tested. If you just did a geolocation search, odds are you got the location that is registered for that IP range in the whois database. Which will usually be the corporate HQ, and has nothing to do with where that ip is actually assigned to.

Yes, that's what I did.

If that could be false, then is there any way to find the real location for sure?

Am I the only Aussie now experiencing an unplayable game?

I have gone from a (barely) playable 280 ms to (basically not playable) 390 ms on what was the west coast. The only reason I kept all of my toons on Harbinger was to keep my marginal ping - which is now lost. Actually, this is even slower than Shadowlands was for me previously. If I had known there was no speed advantage to staying, I would have moved to Shadowlands (for a number of reasons).

I do hope that you guys can restore the ping to what it was for us Aussies. I have never wanted to unsub, and I still don't, but most group play is inaccessible at such slow speeds. Paying for a game I can't play will be rather pointless.

PS apologies if there are already posts on this from others down under - I haven't had time to scan the whole thread.

PPS you could always recommission Dalborra, the 'good old days' of 40 ms were awesome!

PPPS having now read the thread, I see the last three of us APAC players all have an unplayable game, and can either watch the game as SWTOR PowerPoint or unsub .. it was fun while it lasted. So long, and thanks for the fish.

Edited by DiamondDove
update

Yes, that's what I did.

If that could be false, then is there any way to find the real location for sure?

Not really. You get routed to their network, what happens in there is not transparent to the outside.

As an aside, I am a bit weirded out by the assumption in this and other threads that they moved hardware from datacenter A to B. I know game and technology are old, but if they are not running on virtualized environments, I'd be very surprised. So a move most likely is "just" syncing storage and redirecting traffic.

Not really. You get routed to their network, what happens in there is not transparent to the outside.

As an aside, I am a bit weirded out by the assumption in this and other threads that they moved hardware from datacenter A to B. I know game and technology are old, but if they are not running on virtualized environments, I'd be very surprised. So a move most likely is "just" syncing storage and redirecting traffic.

I'm from the EU, so I went on both servers and checked the ping for a while; it mostly stayed in the 98-105 (ignoring spikes) range on both Harb and JC, tried a traceroute too and got pings in the 90s for both servers.

Is this anything to go on? I'd figure I'd receive a much more varying ping from actual West Coast and East Coast locations.

Edited by Dilemmas

I tanked Master Mode Brontes with jumping pings from 50 to 700 ms at one evening. It was painful, but we did it.

In swtor, you have an ability queue window of up to 1,5s. So, even with 500 ms, you have 1 second left. With an consistent ping of 500 ms, it should be possible, to maintain a proper rotation.

What I doubt is things with the need of short reaction times. Just imagine Brontes Burn and you trying to cc-break and pop a dcd before Fire&Forget hits you or other stuff like pvp.... I wish you good luck and a better ping somewhere in the near future, but i doubt, that BW opens a server in Australia or even at us-west coast.

Edited by Exocor

we have officially moved out of our West Coast location. Our testing showed no impact on the gameplay experience, but we expect some of you playing on formerly West Coast servers may see higher ping times.

Um... wasn't reduced latency the whole purpose of having a West Coast server located on the West Coast? Now agreed, most people don't really need single-digit pings, but there are those PvPers and NiM ops teams that will notice a difference.

I understand this saves money and makes maintenance and patches easier, but WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!?

#facepalm