How do i get more fps/less lag while in a warzone

Mqnqcles

Of course it should be happening. How good your system is has no bearing on this games general performance. I get 144fps the majority of the time, but this games limitations due to directx9 means I'm going to have frame drops happen when there's a lot going on the screen regardless of what graphical settings I use because the game is only using like 20% of my GPU and it loves to max out one core of my CPU because, again, directx 9 limitations...

General play and even pvp my fps is stable most of the time. 16 man raids? Forget it. Its a stuttering crap shoot no matter what graphical setting is set and its been like that for every build I've had which since launch of the game has been 4 different pc builds.

This.

tbh with the comp i built for this game after the cluster **** fps i got on my older one from when i played Aion, i just threw the cpu with the best single core results i could afford in it and hoped for the best. .-. Not really a computer savant nor do i do 16 man raids, but it's worked fine overall for pvp thus far. Now that I've said something it's going to burst into flames in one of the Huttball hells though.

I actually think your suggestions were excellent.

I just don't want people to come and get the wrong expectations that they can run 100 fps in combat in pvp, and then wonder is something wrong with their system when they don't get the expected result.

I'm ignoring what OC'd 9900k can do though, as I don't have experience with that. I'm running 8700k and it's impossible to hold 100 fps constantly, and almost never in combat.

That’s cool, but what graphical settings do you run? That is the most important part. I see people saying it’s impossible to run pvp over 100fps, but they never state what their system is, what else they are doing while playing (ie streaming) or what their graphical settings are.

I will fully agree that if you have all the settings up high, even with enhanced shadows off and you start out with 100+ FPS, you will get dips down to 60-70fps. But if you optimise your system, run no unnecessary back ground apps or windows services and don’t run your game graphics at max or more than the system can handle, you can comfortably play higher than 150fps and only dip to 100fps.

I noticed some people here suggesting proof of that, but that is a double bladed sword because streaming or running a capture program is one of those unnecessary apps that will impact your game FPS performance. So trying to show proof by running that will of course make it next to impossible to prove you can do it.

So I’ll leave it there. I’ve nothing to prove. I can personally run mine with higher FPS. I’ve given the OP some suggestions on how to improve his FPS, it’s up to them to decide if visual quality bling is more important to them in pvp over performance. For me, performance comes first every time. Some people prefer a balance, while other want to play at max settings, which isn’t optimal for this engine, no mater how good your system.

I run game atm on ultra but disable v-sync, this results in massive fps increase on somewhere like the fleet (went from like 60-200ish fps)

I dipped into a quick queshball to see some numbers, you can see in the link below;

V-sync will mostly cause a performance hit in graphical intensive environments. This is a little known fact because in FP shooters (with optimised game engines), v-sync can give you an advantage in older games, but it can still lag your game in puts. So because most people see an advantage with v-sync in FP shooters, the consensus seems to be v-sync should be used for everything. Which is wrong.

Some technical info to back up what I’m saying. When you use v-sync, your graphics card has to match your monitor output. This can cause a lag input from what you see and when to press your mouse or keyboard because most standard monitors are “dumb” monitors they rely completely on the PC input. This can add a little more work for the system, which in turn adds its own lag.

The flip side to that is G-Sync monitors (or AMD equivalent) have a processing chip in them to take some of the syncing responsibility off the graphics card. Monitors like this will give you better performance and an advantage over someone who doesn’t have one. But if the game doesn’t support them and only has v-sync, you still don’t turn on v-sync. You turn on g-sync outside of the game using the proprietary graphics driver.

This info is readily available on the internet. But if you need references because you can’t find them, let me know and I’ll post some.

I’ve a 5700k, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD and a GTX 1080

For pvp I turn my settings down to maximise performance. I get 120-180 FPS

The best solution for PvP is to turn down and off some graphics settings.

Turn of Enhanced Shadow (it should give you an extra 20+ FPS)

Turn of Shadow Quality totally and this will disable shadow cascades too (this will give you another 20+ FPS) and make the game more smooth

Turn off bloom as this also causes a drop in FPS and isn’t needed in pvp.

If you aren’t getting 120-180 FPS after that, then you can try reducing some of the other settings.

Start with grass and tree viewing distance (I use 30%)

Then Antialiasing.

Once you get a reasonable FPS, start increase something’s till you get it balanced between performance and best looking.

I REALLY doubt you get 100+ fps on 8vs8 warzone in the middle of the team fight.

That I can't believe, sorry.

I understand the hell of trying to improve this, I think its just an issue with a lot of players and animations on screen, but I'll try to help...

I run game atm on ultra but disable v-sync, this results in massive fps increase on somewhere like the fleet (went from like 60-200ish fps)

I dipped into a quick queshball to see some numbers, you can see in the link below;

Please don't judge my play too harshly, 1st I am crap and 2nd, I was staring at the fps counter most of the time.

But after a minute or so my average fps was 47.

Not too bad but bear in mind I'm running an i7 8700k, gtx1080 and 64 gig ram on my laptop so its pretty comfortable with anything you throw at it.

As others have mentioned, lower settings may bear fruits of higher fps numbers so be sure to try that, and hope you succeed in finding a good balance between playability and prettyness.

Turning off vsync does not gives you any more performance, it just uncaps the FPS.

Vsync caps the fps to your monitor refresh rate, in this case 60hz, so vsync caps your game to 60fps to match the refresh rate, it causes a smoothier gameplay due to monitor + in game fps at 60.

Turning it off will probably cause stutters since your video card is sending more framerates than your monitor can display, anything above 60fps on your monitor won't have any impact.

I really think its hit or miss. My last build the game didn't run well at all. Constant hiccups and it was something I simply just got used to. Whether the game just did not like the 5820k, or if it didn't like the board.....who knows, but it never ran good, where as my build before that with an AMD phenom 2 the game ran fine. Granted they have updated some visuals and particle effects over the years so I imagine that amd build probably wouldn't run the game very well anymore.

My current build the game runs with little to no hiccups and generally stable fps all the time where as a friend of mine like you has an 8700k OC'd and its hit or miss. Honestly this games engine is just janky and its up in the air on your chip/bios/drivers on how well the game runs. I've seen potatoes run the game flawlessly on max settings and top tier computers struggle to even run the game at all. End of the day its luck of the draw due to a garbage engine.

This.

tbh with the comp i built for this game after the cluster **** fps i got on my older one from when i played Aion, i just threw the cpu with the best single core results i could afford in it and hoped for the best. .-. Not really a computer savant nor do i do 16 man raids, but it's worked fine overall for pvp thus far. Now that I've said something it's going to burst into flames in one of the Huttball hells though.

Something I’ve posted about in the past is how this game loves CPU speed over cores. The higher your CPU speed, the better the game will perform. Up until the last few years with some graphics becoming more graphics card focused (shadows etc), the CPU was the most important thing for this game vs graphics cards. You could get away with a medium graphics card as long as you had a fast CPU.

CPU Throttling is also a problem with this game. For those that don’t know what that is, throttling is what happens when a CPU goes from max speed to low speed or visversa ie, 5820k specs show it throttled from 3.30 to 3.60 GHz. This throttling doesn’t happen instantly, it’s takes a few micro seconds - second to happen and causes stutter or performance drops. Both the motherboard firmware (xCPU) and windows make these decisions, but they make them independent and rely on Windows drivers to smooth out the process. Which obviously aren’t optimised for gaming, especially this one!

The other issue that would have caused the 5820k not to perform as well is its speed. Swtor for some reason performs the best over 4.0 GHz and the higher the better. Unless you permanently had you 5820k OC (the K version is the OC’able one) at or above 4.0ghz with throttling turned off, then you would have had mediocre to poor performance from it.

Throttling can be turned off on most modern CPUs and I would highly recommend this for playing swtor. The simplest way is within the windows power settings. Find the power settings and you will see they are set to balance to default (on desktops). This is so you don’t use as much power when it’s not needed. That’s why CPUs throttle.

When you find the power settings, look through to where it says CPU power and set it to always 100%. This prevents the CPU from throttling (normally).

You can take this a step further if your CPU and motherboard support it by turning off Intel speed stepping (or AMD equivalent) in the motherboard Bios. This is something you should do anyway if you are manually OC’ing your CPU to get higher speeds.. FYI, don’t use the proprietary software that motherboard vendors have for doing this in Windows. It is lazy and the software will never give you the best settings because every single CPU is different and requires tweaking. The software is generic and most CPUs will run hotter and use more power than necessary (which overly stresses them), which reduces the best everyday OC speed you can get from them.

My advice when choosing a new CPU for this game is to buy one with at least 4 cores that can run at 4.x (plus) or one that can be comfortably run at an everyday overclocked of 4.x (the higher the speed, the better). All “K” version intel CPUs are overclockable. I believe all the modern AMD CPUs are (but check). Just remember, you want at least 4 cores to run above 4.0 all the time. If you can only overclock one core and the rest don’t, then you won’t get the best performance.

Last disclaimer: overlooking has risks. If you don’t do the research or know what you are doing, it’s probably best to just buy a super fast CPU with the minimum speed over 4.0. Then turn off the throttling (which won’t hurt it). If you do decide to OC, get yourself a good after market cooler and research the best way to apply and set it up in your case. Custom WC used to be the best way (and still mostly is), but you can now get very good AIO (all in one closed loop) water coolers with close to similar performance. This removes the risk of leaks or spending a thousand dollars on cooling.

If anyone wants extra advice on what I recommend for cooling, please ask as I’ve been doing this for 22 years.

Edit: Ransuu, tell your friend with the 8700k to set his max speed to 4.70ghz in his motherboard Bios (which is his CPU max boost) and turn off throttling through windows. The 8700k has a base speed of 3.60ghz and that’s why he’s probably having issues.

If he still has issues after that, let me know and I have some other suggestions to help.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Turning off vsync does not gives you any more performance, it just uncaps the FPS.

Vsync caps the fps to your monitor refresh rate, in this case 60hz, so vsync caps your game to 60fps to match the refresh rate, it causes a smoothier gameplay due to monitor + in game fps at 60.

Turning it off will probably cause stutters since your video card is sending more framerates than your monitor can display, anything above 60fps on your monitor won't have any impact.

That is partially incorrect. Please do some research. Please read my explanation on v-sync.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Oh, makes sense! Seems to legit have increased the low dips tho, I was getting under 30 fps before and now its around 60ish when not running obs, I tried using windows game mode recording and that really had an impact on fps, like makes the system work twice as hard.

Btw, the stuttering you mentioned, I guess you didn’t watch the video I linked :rolleyes:

Oh, makes sense! Seems to legit have increased the low dips tho, I was getting under 30 fps before and now its around 60ish when not running obs, I tried using windows game mode recording and that really had an impact on fps, like makes the system work twice as hard.

Btw, the stuttering you mentioned, I guess you didn’t watch the video I linked :rolleyes:

When you run v-sync, how is your input lag from keyboard and mouse?

edit, I missed the part earlier where you are using a laptop.

The windows default power settings in most laptops is for low or balanced (maybe for your higher end system). Try turning it to 100% and see if the performance increases.

Just one caveat, it will make your battery run down faster and I would suggest you don’t do it unless you are plugged directly into power.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

When you run v-sync, how is your input lag from keyboard and mouse?

edit, I missed the part earlier where you are using a laptop.

The windows default power settings in most laptops is for low or balanced (maybe for your higher end system). Try turning it to 100% and see if the performance increases.

Just one caveat, it will make your battery run down faster and I would suggest you don’t do it unless you are plugged directly into power.

Lag is un-noticeable with either setting and I can notice quite profoundly anything 20ms plus only my midi keyboard.

Yeah it is normal for laptops to be set to balanced, however I have a custom built audio desktop replacement laptop which uses a custom 3xs power setting, guessing for silence as it’s made for audio production.

Went through extensive soak testing after build as they said my specifications were unique but they did a great job and provided all the benchmarking results and software required to check myself when upgrading (hopefully not for a while yet as well it’s 99th percentile)

And yeah, am always on battery Trix, not sure what the life of a single charge is but I get the feeling it’s not gonna be great :)

Edited by Eastiano