Hard Mode Flashpoints

I and a group of friends have recently started running flashpoints (HM), we have gotten the requisite Battlemaster gear, done weeks of dailys to get the gear so short of Rakata we are maxed currently. We ran, or attempted, Black Talon and did well with a Juggy tank, Sniper DPS, Assassin DPS, and Sorc Healer. We had no deaths until the bonus bot, no big deal we just skipped it and drove on. We get to the Jedi and we all get spanked in the first 30 secs of the fight repeatedly to the frustration and stress there in. Now we are in teamspeak to coordinate and have played together for years in many MMO's with great success, but it seems that hard mode is doomed to failure for any but the die hards that play 16 of 24 hours a day. Is this really Biowares intent to make the end game unplayable for those casuals who put in the time to get the gear and then get slapped and laughed at for trying to explore the endgame? So I assume after we finish the eight storylines we are meant to cancel our sub, as that is how it feels currently. Is there no love for the casual gamer in this game? I am disheartened that I can win handedly in PvP geared out without issue with the same matesand gear, but HM's are the unattainable endgame boogy man.

Whoa there. For one, PVE =/= PVP. They really are quite different beasts. Success in one does not dictate success in the other.

As to the fight itself: if you're dying in 30 seconds then you're not hitting enrage, which case... what in the world are you doing? The only serious danger from the boss is via Cyclone Nova, and if you just run straight through her when she pulls you in (don't try and turn around, just keep going in the same direction) you can easily outrange it. That's all there is to the fight. The only way you can possibly be dying in 30 seconds is if you're all just standing still for her AOE.

everytime her rage kicks in we have her around 15K left in hp and she smacks everyone and its over. No one is standing toe to toe with her.

Really? Black talon enrage? It's either BM gear (crap for pve) or your dps is awful. Also she enrages after the 3rd Nova.

Everyone ran through her, and everytime her rage kicks in we have her around 15K left in hp and she smacks everyone and its over. No one is standing toe to toe with her.

Ahhhh. That makes more sense. To be fair, that's a little longer than 30 seconds.

But yes, unless you have the boss very close to death, enrages generally cannot be survived. This is just a simple DPS check, and if you're all decked out in Battlemaster (despite the fact that it sacrifices a proportion of your stats for expertise, it's still plenty good enough for entry level HM FPs), I suspect that your problem stems from PVP play-styles and/or specs. If your DPS have a dedicated PVP spec, they're going to have a fair few talent points invested that won't be of any use in PVE.

It might pay to have them look up some class guides for PVE and study optimal specs/ability priorities, etc. Maximising DPS against PVE targets is much different from burning down other players.

Ahhhh. That makes more sense. To be fair, that's a little longer than 30 seconds.

But yes, unless you have the boss very close to death, enrages generally cannot be survived. This is just a simple DPS check, and if you're all decked out in Battlemaster (despite the fact that it sacrifices a proportion of your stats for expertise, it's still plenty good enough for entry level HM FPs), I suspect that your problem stems from PVP play-styles and/or specs. If your DPS have a dedicated PVP spec, they're going to have a fair few talent points invested that won't be of any use in PVE.

It might pay to have them look up some class guides for PVE and study optimal specs/ability priorities, etc. Maximising DPS against PVE targets is much different from burning down other players.

I agree 100% with the above,

Secondly I'd like to point out that while Battlemaster (BM) is generally better than Tionese- as the OP stated when saying all they were geared in BM - the armoring mods for BM gear have worse primary class attributes (for PvE) than the Tionese ones do.

HM BT is desgined for casual gamers - it is in no way shape or form designed to be a truly trying experience.

That's what HM LI, EC, Nightmare KP, and HM EC are for.

Edited by AshlaBoga
Grammar

I am not in disagreement with any of the information offered and we will go back into the specs to look at what we can do to squeeze a bit more dps out of the spec.

As for the comment on the difference btwn the Tionese and BM gear, did your suggestion that Tionese is better in PvP take into account the OP that without being able to complete the FP you can't get the Tionese? BM seemed to be the best we could get in order to start the HM's. The purple specs from daily rewards were two or three classes below the best mods we got doing heroics. I just enjoy all the blogs and posts about getting Tionese/Columni gear but you need something to do HM's with before you can get it, a bit of a circular argument.

So we keep trying, and see what happens

I am not in disagreement with any of the information offered and we will go back into the specs to look at what we can do to squeeze a bit more dps out of the spec.

As for the comment on the difference btwn the Tionese and BM gear, did your suggestion that Tionese is better in PvE [sic.] take into account the OP that without being able to complete the FP you can't get the Tionese? BM seemed to be the best we could get in order to start the HM's. The purple specs from daily rewards were two or three classes below the best mods we got doing heroics. I just enjoy all the blogs and posts about getting Tionese/Columni gear but you need something to do HM's with before you can get it, a bit of a circular argument.

So we keep trying, and see what happens

I highlighted a mistake you made - stated that the mods I was recommending were rewards from doing dailies. That's not what I was saying. I was saying that he level 50 Dailies on Illum give you 1-2 daily commendations (similar to the planetary commendations). You can spend the daily commendations to get Tionese equivalent armoring mods. The armouring and weapon mods (hilt/barrel) you can buy with these commendations are the same as Tionese mods! The only difference is that you cannot buy the Enhancements or Mod slot Modifications.

P.S: In hindsight my mistake was saying mods instead of modifications, my laziness gave you bad info - sorry.

http://www.torhead.com/item/donBywo/daily-commendation#comments