Is act 2 of the inquisitor storyline a bad joke?

acheros

Act 1 was..Okay, not great, but i felt it was a great first act. It served like an introductory pilot. It introduces you to most of the characters, gives you the basic premise for the class storyline, ect.

Then act two happens...Act two is like, a big lipped alligator, starring you down. Sadly, however. unlike a big lipped alligator moment, this lasts much...Much longer.

Even the NAME is a joke. Force walk? really bioware? It sounds like a bad 80s dance craze..

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SPOILER FOR THE SMUGGLER STORY

Act 2 of the smuggler’s story is lame too. You go from a semi-interesting treasure hunt in Act 1 to basically being a Republic mercenary in Act 2. In Act 1, at least you’re doing your own thing while helping the Rebs on the side...in Act 2, you’re technically on your own but essentially working directly with and for the Republic. The title of Act 2 is ‘Battle of the Underworld’ and so far I haven’t really dealt much with the underworld at all…just a bunch of professional Republic soldiers with more men and equipment than me who always need me to save the day and fight the Imperials.

Bounty Hunter act 2 is not any better. your basically just given a series of targets to kill, 1 for each planet you need to visit. any one of them alone could be an interesting story line, but the quests barely touch on them. they really just seem to be filler to get you to the planets and throw in a few new companions quickly.

I understand that BW had to figure out how to adapt their storytelling methods to MMOs, and it is a tough nut to crack, but I keep running into the fact that it’s hard to get emotionally involved in the story. No one really matters, and you’re just taxied from planet to planet to go do something for someone. There are a lot of neat moments, but the story overall is just…lacking.

To be fair, I have heard that the stories are slow burn in nature, and I generally here that the endings are quite cool.

Like the above poster stated, if you want a good act 2 play Imperial agent, you might end up with a bit of a lack of a "epic" ending though as the trade off.

SI act 2 was really boring, heck half of act 1 for SI sucked as well, Balmora was an aweful story, with very little characters and not much of a point. Alderaan was equally worthless. And only Nar Shadaa ends up having any point latter on in the story.

The pacing is really bad in some of the stories, and personally I find that act 3 for the SI really doesn't get much better till much latter, basically while its ending.

Like the above poster stated, if you want a good act 2 play Imperial agent, you might end up with a bit of a lack of a "epic" ending though as the trade off.

SI act 2 was really boring, heck half of act 1 for SI sucked as well, Balmora was an aweful story, with very little characters and not much of a point. Alderaan was equally worthless. And only Nar Shadaa ends up having any point latter on in the story.

The pacing is really bad in some of the stories, and personally I find that act 3 for the SI really doesn't get much better till much latter, basically while its ending.

Honestly, When i first did it..I thought the whole force ghost thing would be just a small part of it, you know? Like an excuse to get out and DO things...Sadly, no, its a major plot point...

Act 1 ended on such a great note, too. Then its like...nothing..

To be fair, Act 2 for the Inquisitor was much better than Act 3.

But then again, of the 8 storylines the Inquisitor's is the worst. Act 3 just crumbles and doesn't even make any sense whatsoever. You're left scratching your head going, "Wait, what?" for like... the last 30 hours of playtime.

Edited by AnubisXy

i thought bounty hunter storyline was great all the way through. only complaint would be that it was perhaps a bit too epic, as in i got tired of every questgiver recognizing me as some sort of god on the blasters, but storywise incredible. when act II ended really abruptly i had a serious omg moment, shades of kotor 1 in terms of a twist. dont know why anybody who plays a bh would be disappointed, were u expecting political intrigue? for a bounty hunter?

but then smuggler was rather lame, particularly in comparison and due to the fact that most of it was incredibly similar to the bh, but not as cool. instead of going to planet after planet going after more and more tough and hardcore targets (a trandoshan pirate, an imperial moff, a rogue mandalorian and a jedi warlord to name a few) you go to planet after planet... to deliver something. even had a similar act I villain, but while the bh one truly felt like a nemesis, annoying me at every turn, the smuggler was just a pretty generic douche. act II sounds cool ('Republic Privateer'), but you dont actually do any real privateering, you're just a basic go-to guy. better than act I, but just saying.

Act 1 was..Okay, not great, but i felt it was a great first act. It served like an introductory pilot. It introduces you to most of the characters, gives you the basic premise for the class storyline, ect.

Then act two happens...Act two is like, a big lipped alligator, starring you down. Sadly, however. unlike a big lipped alligator moment, this lasts much...Much longer.

Even the NAME is a joke. Force walk? really bioware? It sounds like a bad 80s dance craze..

You are crazy, and shame on you for jacking other, well respected individual's idioms, you plagerist. If you got offended at me calling you a plagerist in this context, then you don't really know where the idea of the big-lipped alligator comes from, or what I really meant by calling you a plagerist, and saying shame on you. :) That said, I liked act one for the SI, but I wasn't particularly wowed by it, save for the end. Act 2 is quite possibly the single greatest story-telling achievement Bioware has ever come up with, they perfectly captured the themes and nature of the Sith and the dark side of the Force, what it means to place yourself above the external, to the end of achieving power. They literally could not have hit it more perfectly unless they told the story of episodes 1-6 again.

To be fair, Act 2 for the Inquisitor was much better than Act 3.

But then again, of the 8 storylines the Inquisitor's is the worst. Act 3 just crumbles and doesn't even make any sense whatsoever. You're left scratching your head going, "Wait, what?" for like... the last 30 hours of playtime.

Having experienced multiple other storylines, I have to disagree. On the whole, I love the story for the SI. Though, I have to agree with you about the final act. It really was stupid. Everyone was making a big deal about nothing. I won't spoil anything here, even wrapped in tags, but I lost all respect for every character in the story that thought anything important happned in act 3.

act 2 for the consular is pretty boss. JK is supposed to have a good act 2 as well. And if you wanted to be a privateer the whole time, smuggler act 2 is pretty great.

I was utterly wowed all throughout act one of the JC story, and was utterly blown away by the end of it, and so far I think that particular act is the best one in the whole game. The rest of the story is so terrible by comparison though that the amazing quality of act one is not enough to get it top in my eyes.

Acts 2 and 3 for the Inquisitor are great if you think about them correctly. Assuming you go Dark Side (that's all I've done with it, I don't know how things play out if you make LS decisions, so I can't comment on that), it plays out like the best super villain origin story ever. By the time I hit Belasvus, I was thinking "If I walk into that room and have to fight Deadpool, this is the best thing that has been made in the history of both comic books and video games." I understand you have to have the right sensibility, but...

I mean, you get to use your cult to build a superweapon so you can convince the Moffs to back you in murdering a member of the Dark Council.

How is that not worth the entire price of the game?

Acts 2 and 3 for the Inquisitor are great if you think about them correctly. Assuming you go Dark Side (that's all I've done with it, I don't know how things play out if you make LS decisions, so I can't comment on that), it plays out like the best super villain origin story ever. By the time I hit Belasvus, I was thinking "If I walk into that room and have to fight Deadpool, this is the best thing that has been made in the history of both comic books and video games." I understand you have to have the right sensibility, but...

I mean, you get to use your cult to build a superweapon so you can convince the Moffs to back you in murdering a member of the Dark Council.

How is that not worth the entire price of the game?

I can't understand how you like act 3.

Really, as soon as Thanaton said, "I declare a Kaggath, (and no, my reaction isn't due to the strange word, but the concept that it represents) I literally laughed out loud. It was at that moment that I lost the respect for Thanaton that I had gained. My two main thoughts were, "are you really that *********** stupid," and, "You know when I get ahold of you, I am going to make you my ***** just like I did last time, right?" Thanaton ceased to be believable. It was quite possibly the worst case of comic book supervillianitis I have seen in the last 10 years. He was no longer the dragon that he was supposed to be, no longer the great obstacle. He was the court jester.

I mean, how stupid is he? "I'm going to have my people go beat up your people, then we will see who has tougher people!" Or, I could just say screw your utterly asinine concept of a "political duel," find you, and do things to you with my lightsaber and lightning that are so horrifying, mentioning them on the TOR forums would get me an infraction. Seriously, I would have liked to see Darth Bane's, or Palpatine's, reaction to what Thanaton said. I bet they would have laughed harder than I did.

Edited by Paralassa
content

Im currently playing a sith warrior and im on one of the last missions in act 2, the over all story is actually very good, but the pace it is shown is very slow, after getting a single sentence towards the story i have to then spend over a day leveling to continue every single time, the missions jumped from level 36 to level 40 in 10mins game time, that alone makes it difficult to get into the story, consent interruptions, i understand this is an mmo and ive experienced many, normal eatch story missions give you hints almost making the plot a guessing game untill the finial mission, so far everything in the story has been fairly predictable, allowing me to guess most of the plot when im levels below, act 1 was insanely predictable the only thing i dident guess was the small details.

I know bioware are capable of doing better, ive seen it in most of there previous games, then again there always future content you never know with less rush to release it may be a great improvement.

Okay. Can someone explain the reason why the last boss of the Inqusitor storyline is fighting you? Because I just can't understand it - and this is a problem with the SI storyline, since Act 2 and Act 3 are all about defeating this individual.

According to Thanaton, there is an ancient Sith tradition that when a master is killed, their apprentices are killed as well. That's why he has to kill you.

But this makes no sense whatsoever in the context of the Sith.

The oldest Sith tradition is for apprentices to kill their masters. This is pretty much what Sith do. If you could sum up Sith in 3 phrases it would be, "Sith use the dark side. Sith fight Jedi. When a Sith apprentice gets strong enough, she kills her master."

If there were a tradition where the apprentice is killed after killing the master, then clearly Sith apprentices wouldn't be killing their masters. But they do, all the time. They always have. So there can't be a tradition of killing the master's apprentices when the master dies. It just doesn't work in Sith society.

Basically, Thanaton is completely delusional. He has no valid reason for trying to kill you because his stated reason shouldn't even exist in the first place.

Since Act 2 and Act 3 of the SI storyline are pretty much devoted entirely to defeating Thanaton, the fact that he's fighting you for no real reason at all just makes the whole thing feel like a waste of time.

As to the Kaggath:

It should have been cool but ended up being lame since at the end it just turned into a duel anyway. When I got to that point, it felt like all of the time I had spent smashing Thanaton's organization was a waste. I should have just dueled him right from the get go and saved myself the trouble.

The only reason for smashing up his stuff was to expand the storyline and give you something to do, since a 1v1 dual would have ended pretty quickly.

Edited by AnubisXy

Okay. Can someone explain the reason why the last boss of the Inqusitor storyline is fighting you? Because I just can't understand it - and this is a problem with the SI storyline, since Act 2 and Act 3 are all about defeating this individual.

According to Thanaton, there is an ancient Sith tradition that when a master is killed, their apprentices are killed as well. That's why he has to kill you.

But this makes no sense whatsoever in the context of the Sith.

The oldest Sith tradition is for apprentices to kill their masters. This is pretty much what Sith do. If you could sum up Sith in 3 phrases it would be, "Sith use the dark side. Sith fight Jedi. When a Sith apprentice gets strong enough, she kills her master."

If there were a tradition where the apprentice is killed after killing the master, then clearly Sith apprentices wouldn't be killing their masters. But they do, all the time. They always have. So there can't be a tradition of killing the master's apprentices when the master dies. It just doesn't work in Sith society.

Basically, Thanaton is completely delusional. He has no valid reason for trying to kill you because his stated reason shouldn't even exist in the first place.

Since Act 2 and Act 3 of the SI storyline are pretty much devoted entirely to defeating Thanaton, the fact that he's fighting you for no real reason at all just makes the whole thing feel like a waste of time.

As to the Kaggath:

It should have been cool but ended up being lame since at the end it just turned into a duel anyway. When I got to that point, it felt like all of the time I had spent smashing Thanaton's organization was a waste. I should have just dueled him right from the get go and saved myself the trouble.

The only reason for smashing up his stuff was to expand the storyline and give you something to do, since a 1v1 dual would have ended pretty quickly.

To be fair, it could be that..

If ANOTHER sith kills a sith, beside the apprentice. That sith must also kill all of their apprentices.

Okay. Can someone explain the reason why the last boss of the Inqusitor storyline is fighting you?

Because between all of Bioware's top-notch writing staff (and the exceptions that aren't so good) they literally could not think of anything better. Seriously, that is it. It just isn't viable at all. If Thanaton wasn't completely off his rocker, he would have just tried to assassinate you. For now, I am going with the idea that Thanaton was kept around because the Dark Council sees him as a running joke due to his activities back when he was still known as Teneb Kel.