Explain orange gear to me

kanezfan

I hear that it is similar to heirloom gear in wow in that the base stats on it will increase as you level and that you keep upgrading the mods in it to make it better. Sounds great and as I got in EGA last week, I now have 3 orange pieces of gear.

My question though is this. I have had an orange LS for a while now. Yesterday I ran esseles solo for fun and I picked up another orange LS that says it requires level 11. My currently equipped LS says it requires lvl 23. The base stats on the orange saber from esseles are nowhere near as good as my current LS. I thought maybe equipping the new LS would update the base stats, it didn't.

So... Are people misinformed and orange gear doesn't "grow" with you or am I missing something?

It doesn't grow as you level. What it has is slots for mods. These mods can be replaced as you level to keep the piece of gear current. If you were to remove all the mods, most orange items would have zero stats on them. Armor being the exception as that seems to have a (negligible) base AC level. Edited by Rampant_Durandal

Orange gear grows when you update the mods. Blasters have barrels, lightsabers have hilts, and armor has armor mods that will change the base damage/armor of the item.

However, it appears that orange items also have a base value, which doesn't increase over time. If this is true, then we'll need to replace orange items eventually, just like other gear.

You're missing something. Mods. Orange gear is like Heirlooms, yes. But unlike Heirloos, you have to re-enchant them every few levels. Their stats are based on the mods inside them. Alll orange gear is fully mod-able. A LS can have a hilt, a color crystal, a mod, and a something else I can't remember the name of. So the LS you have now is probably full of level 20ish mods. The one from the Esseles is probably full of level 9ish mods.

Its kinda of cool actually if you like a piece gear or several pieces of gear you can just put new stuff in it so you can keep the look.

The thing is I haven't seen gloves or boots that you can do with this, just legs, chest and helm.

You're missing something. Mods. Orange gear is like Heirlooms, yes. But unlike Heirloos, you have to re-enchant them every few levels. Their stats are based on the mods inside them. Alll orange gear is fully mod-able. A LS can have a hilt, a color crystal, a mod, and a something else I can't remember the name of. So the LS you have now is probably full of level 20ish mods. The one from the Esseles is probably full of level 9ish mods.

OK that is what I wanted to know. I dig it.

Think of it this way, there are no base stats. The gear is actually the mods, the orange gear is just the container that holds and activates them.

So it's more of a cross between heirloom gear, and an appearance tab. I have three heavy armor orange robes from various places. Empty they'll all have the same stats. Put the exact same mods in all three of them, and they will have the exact same stats.... thus I can pick the look I want, put the mods in that robe and wear it. Replace the mods as I level up. If I want to change my look, I can move the mods to one of the other orange robes.

I've been upgrading mine. I guess what I'm really asking is do the base stats on it increase too or do they stay the same forever?

There are no base stats on Orange Gear. There's base mods that you can either remove n vendor or you can put new mods ontop of them thus destroying / removing them forever.

The higher level the mods the higher level requirement the orange gear has. This allows you to find a fairly unique or fun look that if you like it you can keep that look forever while upgrading it to keep up with your level.

You can buy Mods and Armor from Cybertechs, Crystals & Enhancements from Artificers.

Gun Barrels come from Armstech and I believe Armortech's can make some types of Armor mods.

Realize also that you can remove existing mods from your orange gear for a small fee.

When you sell an orange item you will get the same price as you would if you remove all the mods and sell them separately except that you are down the fees for extraction.

The only characteristic that is inherent to an orange item is the type of item that it is. So you can never change the fact that the cool looking piece of heavy armor will always be heavy armor and your consular will never be able to wear it. a blaster cannon is not a blaster pistol and a double bladed lightsaber is not a regular light saber and so on. But everything else is moddable including the bases armor or damage stats that come from the level of the item. The level is determined by the barrel, the hilt or the armoring.

You can find orange crystals in some lightsaber drops. I got one from the sith at the end of esseles. Even though the saber was restricted to dark side the crystal itself wasn't. Also the item was a double bladed saber and I use single bladed sabers. The point is, even if you can't use the item, you might be able to use the mods in an item. Just don't be a dick and need on an item you can't use just for the mods over someone who can use the whole item.

There are no base stats on Orange Gear.

There isn't base stats on ANY gear or weapons , if i recall.

Again, as I recall, orange and blue gear are no different other than the mods that are exchangeable or upgradeable on both.

No, there is a difference, for instance higher lvl orange sabers will have higher base dmg (melee) and armor will have a higher armor rating. other than that it's a great feature, i'm playing as a sage and the end-game armors look like a barbie-princess parade, so i'll be sticking to my moddable jedi robes :)