Server forums?

Vandrel-Blitz

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want this too...

But, do you guys know what it takes to mod 300 forums?

Just think of it, 300 forums with "My lightsaber dont work since the new patch" or "the mail is broken"..

It would take a hugh forum staff to mod and awnser.

One place is better, for them..

But as I said, I would so like to see server forums aswell :)

Edited by Strumpan_SWE

While I too would like server forums, my guess is that they don't exist yet because they don't even have all their servers locked in yet.

They are probably going to add new servers and probably want a good idea of what servers are what before they go out and make 50 new forums...

Have you thought about that mabye they will only start server forums once they are sure what servers are gonna stay after launch? Not sure if it makes sense. Either way: Server forums would be much appreciated. +1 Edited by Ommm

I want to speak to people on my server. It creates a community and until there are progress trackers, its a way to keep an eye on server firsts and general progress of guilds. Edited by Meluna

I’m still baffled that they did not have server forums the sec these new forums went live.

Add server forums please…posting in general forums was fine pre launch. Now’s the time to build community of sorts with people you play with/against daily.

Edited by SovietMissile

Hi there, folks. We've removed some posts from this thread and want to explain why. We understand the desire for server forums, but posts that only consist of "/signed" or "+1" are not constructive and are something we do not allow. Please make sure that all your replies help further conversation, as we don't allow petitions. Thank you!

• Dev Post

Hi everyone! We wanted to explain a little more about why there aren't currently server forums:

While we absolutely agree that there are some useful threads and discussions that come from server forums, we have decided to not include them in our launch Forums lineup. Partially, this is because we do not feel we could currently provide the high standard of moderation, oversight, and maintenance in each of them that we aim to provide across the Forums.

Another factor is that, after observing server forums for other games, we feel that we can provide places on the Forums for the constructive content that typically comes from them while working to eliminate the extreme negativity of player callouts and other undesirable forum activity that can occur in them.

We now have several areas for guild recruitment and community discussion and organization, which we feel are excellent things that typically end up in server-specific forums. We encourage you to make use of all the Community Forums (especially the Server Event and Check-ins forums) as well as our expanded Guild Hall forums. Though the search feature is currently disabled, once it is restored it will be easy to search for guilds recruiting on your server (and we apologize for the inconvenience in the meantime).

Obviously, this is a decision we can re-evaluate as we receive community feedback, but we do encourage you to try out the sub-forums that we currently have to see if they meet your needs and desires for meeting other players. In the future, we may add additional sub-forums for various topics that require more space. We're always reading feedback and evaluating the needs of the community, and will continue to do so, so please do let us know what suggestions you have to improve the Forums!

Hi everyone! We wanted to explain a little more about why there aren't currently server forums:

While we absolutely agree that there are some useful threads and discussions that come from server forums, we have decided to not include them in our launch Forums lineup. Partially, this is because we do not feel we could currently provide the high standard of moderation, oversight, and maintenance in each of them that we aim to provide across the Forums.

Another factor is that, after observing server forums for other games, we feel that we can provide places on the Forums for the constructive content that typically comes from them while working to eliminate the extreme negativity of player callouts and other undesirable forum activity that can occur in them.

We now have several areas for guild recruitment and community discussion and organization, which we feel are excellent things that typically end up in server-specific forums. We encourage you to make use of all the Community Forums (especially the Server Event and Check-ins forums) as well as our expanded Guild Hall forums. Though the search feature is currently disabled, once it is restored it will be easy to search for guilds recruiting on your server (and we apologize for the inconvenience in the meantime).

Obviously, this is a decision we can re-evaluate as we receive community feedback, but we do encourage you to try out the sub-forums that we currently have to see if they meet your needs and desires for meeting other players. In the future, we may add additional sub-forums for various topics that require more space. We're always reading feedback and evaluating the needs of the community, and will continue to do so, so please do let us know what suggestions you have to improve the Forums!

I'm sorry but having to wade through every other post in the Guild Hall is pointless. Server specific forums allow you to identify quickly and easily which guilds on your server are recruiting and forcing us to do so in a shared forum only makes this process tedious and unproductive.

The fact that you disabled the search during launch is ridiculous. There is absolutely no reason why someone should have to wade through thread after thread trying to find a guild that is on their server.

That's ok though. I'm sure there will be a community site that will do what is right and we'll just let the O-Boards die.

Hi there, folks. We've removed some posts from this thread and want to explain why. We understand the desire for server forums, but posts that only consist of "/signed" or "+1" are not constructive and are something we do not allow. Please make sure that all your replies help further conversation, as we don't allow petitions. Thank you!

Meluna, can we get some form of response to the issue?

I also submitted a ticket for this, (898981)

I understand how official channels must be notified and proper approval must be given for official statements but at the very least can we get 'some' type of response aside from that you understand the desire.

Something like:

----------------------------

Hi Van,

Thank you for contacting the SWTOR Bioware Support Team.

We understand the desire for such forums and the pro's/con's associated. This is something that we are presently looking to add in the near future and we appreciate your patience during this process. Our staff is determined to deliver the upmost service to our customers and we sincerely value your input.

The community staff will be working effortlessly to keep everyone up to speed with the latest and greatest as it becomes available.

Regards,

Your name here

Support Team

email@domain.com

----------------------------

P.S. I may/may not have "some" support experience :D

Thanks!

who's to judge what's undesirable and what isn't? the seemingly dead server i played on in WoW still played together because of the camaraderie developed on the server forum. yes there were callouts, and "@" threads, and yes it all helped bond what became a comfortable backwater server we called home for 6+ years.

Edited by DJPenguin

Thank you for the response Allison,

With over 8 years of MMO experience, most of which comes from employment, I can tell you that the current setup here does not meet our needs.

This community is far too large and requires more filtering then what's presently here. This game badly needs server forums before launch.

I completely agree on your "con" remark, server forums do bring a lot of negative things...however they do not exceed that of the positive side. Yes, more moderation will be required but honestly, it's best to think quality over quantity here. SWTOR would be better off with a few entry level staff moderators overseeing the server forums at $20k/yr working from home in shifts then having no server forums at all.

You guys made a killing on sales here, I'm confident you can afford the personnel.

We now have several areas for guild recruitment and community discussion and organization, which we feel are excellent things that typically end up in server-specific forums.

The forum areas, as of right now, are unsat.... period. There's simply too many people here for that to properly function. As we've noted in the first post with other customer feedback, threads are buried 3 pages deep only seconds after they are created.

The traffic volume exceeds the capacity of the current layout.

We encourage you to make use of all the Community Forums (especially the Server Event and Check-ins forums) as well as our expanded Guild Hall forums.

Allison, while I appreciate the above I do find it as somewhat of a negative impact because you are expecting your customers to do your work for you. That is the role of the support team, support the customers. We are not here to create discussion filters or moderate.

A company connot expect it's customer community base to create and maintain it's own content.

Though the search feature is currently disabled, once it is restored it will be easy to search for guilds recruiting on your server (and we apologize for the inconvenience in the meantime).

In all honesty, searching through 100's upon 100's of pages for stuff that "might" or "may" be relevent to a specific server is just, again, unsat.

In closing,

I strongly urge you to reconsider the move to not include server forums. This is a wonderful game and I wish it great success, but to get there we must have access to the tools to be successful. Give us the tools and we will make this community great.

If you are understaffed and not able to support the requirement I will be more then happy to assist.

Edited by Vandrel-Blitz

The fact that you disabled the search during launch is ridiculous. There is absolutely no reason why someone should have to wade through thread after thread trying to find a guild that is on their server.

That's ok though. I'm sure there will be a community site that will do what is right and we'll just let the O-Boards die.

They have disabled search as this forum is based on Vbulletin, and it is a resource hog, especially when lots of people are searching and posting. Most other large vbulletin sites and I mean large, have a 60second limit on searching and posting.

They really need themselves a custom forum that can handle all of these requests, as vbulletin seams unable to do so.

Edited by Vingy