Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F2P till level 50?.

Congrats you've just killed swtor.

Yep, there is absolutely no reason to sub anymore. Subs are just paying real money now for in-game trinkets...nothing more. You might as well, save your money and enjoy the content for free. If you do happen to see something you want, you can spend some money then I guess.

But the bottom line is f2p players could care less about the game and do not make a viable community (which is one of the biggest reasons to play an mmo); devs of f2p games do not make meaningful contect, only cookie cutter expansions because all there time is spend trying to develop items they can sell for real money, and despite the success of some other games the f2p content will not likely work for swtor because the content from 1-50 (the story and immersion) is the reason why most subs play. They are giving away what is valuable and charging for what is not. Great plan :(.

779 posts and 56,787 views on this thread the the devs are completely ignoring this tread. This only proves they do not care at all that there is a significant amount of people who do not like this idea at all.. but they don't care at all.. if they did they would at least have acknowledged this thread. this is complete garbage!!!

Hey AllisonBerryman how about you acknowledge this thread... I mean its a sticky and has posts than any other sticky and the second highest views. But no you completely ignore this thread and don't post anything here at all!!

Yeah, the don't care about feedback for this decision at all.......wait a second, what's this:

Hello everyone! We're sure you have some questions about our upcoming Free-to-Play option, and we'd like to try to answer as many as we can in a special edition of our Q&A. We'll be delaying our normal Q&A and will bring you more in-depth answers on as many of your questions about Free-to-Play as we can next week.

Please use this thread to ask your Free-to-Play questions. Please do not use this thread as a discussion or commentary thread, as we'll be using it to gather your questions.

Be sure to check out the Free-to-Play FAQ, new Free-to-Play announcement page, and comparison grid to see if your question has already been answered!

Thanks!

:rolleyes:

hello? Can we please get a reply from our newly formed community team??

At the time of this post there where 677 posts in this thread with 46,190 views. And yet not one post from a dev. ....Again I challenge a DEV to write a response that is something most substantial than double talk. They really must think we are children cause that is exactly how they are treating us.

I challenge the devs to step up and talk about this without all the double talk. Show us you read these posts and actually care.. ignore this tread and you absolutely prove what so many others have written... you don't care what the community thinks!!!

Given how quickly this thread has grown I think we can be sure of at least one thing: Friday's Community Q&A will be very interesting. :rak_03:

Nah, business as usual..... Got a real question? Forget them answering it.....Ask about a Fluffy Pink Bunny pet: BOOM!!

If a dev does a response to all of this, I have a question. As a subscriber, when I go to log in, it says I have priority in the que over a FTP. If my server is jammed full of FTP players, will one of them get kicked when I try to log in, or do I have to sit around and wait in que even though I am a subscriber?

Hey AllisonBerryman how about you acknowledge this thread... I mean its a sticky and has posts than any other sticky and the second highest views. But no you completely ignore this thread and don't post anything here at all!!

God I hope this doesn't ruin the community......

Welcome to my experience with SWTOR since I bought the game (Pre-purchase). Little response in forums. Canned CS ticket replies that didn't help and usually showed the CS paster hadn't even read my issue, CS forum help requests directed to informationless dev posts, etc. It's nothing new. Welcome to the ignored customer club.

1191 posts on their facebook page most of which are all hating this idea.... and yet they still have no clue. pathetic

I am not sure if this has been answered. But will the free player be able to join guilds, if so will they be able to go on raids with the guild or will they be blocked? How will we be able to tell if someone is free and who paid

Personally, I'll take the subscription thanks. Anyone foolish enough to fall for clever marketing tricks designed to con you into thinking you're paying nothing whilst quietly bleeding you through microtransactions deserves everything they get

I just want to add that there is just as much hoodwinking and marketing behind your subscription fee as the F2P gimmicks.

But, I digress, and I do not want to be one of those people who say one thing and mean another, so here is a real Gimmick for you...

Bioware and EA do not owe us anything.

We pay for the continued maintenance of the game and if enough profit occurs to bankroll new projects extended content will be provided.

I do not recall signing a legal agreement with Bio/EA when I subbed that guaranteed a continuous flow of new content.

We are not entitled to continued development simply because we have subscribed.

We pay for the game in its current state.

So, when you buy, say, Super Paper Mario for 60$ and play it for years, in it's current state, bug free, complete, immersive, and fun, do you expect to pay a 15$ a month sub fee on top of that to keep playing those same levels? When Super Paper Mario 2 comes out with new levels, new story, and new fun a year later, and you buy it, bug free and awesome, did your 150$ of subscription contribute to that?

The point I am making is that the development and maintenance that your subscription fees used to be allocated to, are now just monthly returns for shareholders.

If I bought SWTOR and all I am getting is the content it was released with, as is (buggy, incomplete, laggy, repetitive, grindy, etc), I feel ripped off that I am forced to pay 15$ a month for crappy customer service, patronizing developers, and lackluster snail-pace content development.

Did we sign a contract ensuring monthly updates? No .. but constant updates were part of the bargain when we bought the game. bEAware hasn't cheated us of anything no.. but they sure have let us down and broken promises.

Hello everyone! We're sure you have some questions about our upcoming Free-to-Play option, and we'd like to try to answer as many as we can in a special edition of our Q&A. We'll be delaying our normal Q&A and will bring you more in-depth answers on as many of your questions about Free-to-Play as we can next week.

Please use this thread to ask your Free-to-Play questions. Please do not use this thread as a discussion or commentary thread, as we'll be using it to gather your questions.

Be sure to check out the Free-to-Play FAQ, new Free-to-Play announcement page, and comparison grid to see if your question has already been answered!

Thanks!

HAHAHA!

Took me so long to make that post that they finally said something and i missed it!

Bump Bump Bump Bump

779 posts and 56,787 views on this thread the the devs are completely ignoring this tread. This only proves they do not care at all that there is a significant amount of people who do not like this idea at all.. but they don't care at all.. if they did they would at least have acknowledged this thread. this is complete garbage!!!

You're not part of the 40%, so you don't matter to them.

As a huge BioWare (or former now) and Star Wars fan I can't put into words how disappointed I feel. I wanted so hard for this game to succeed but an MMO adopting a F2P model less than a year, ONE YEAR, into its lifespan is just pathetic, and is something I cannot support. The funniest part is that we still have idiots whining in this thread about not having SGRA's in the game... as if 10 minutes of bad dialogue contributes to the longevity of the game instead of worrying about additional Ops, WZ's, class content, etc... You guys can have it.

Goodbye BioWare, I'll certainly be hard-pressed to purchase anything from your company again after the epic fail that Mass Effect 3 and SW:TOR are.

Edited by ViktorBarney

My guild went through the LOTRO conversion, and we love the game still. The community didn't implode, we don't have ads popping up everyplace, content is coming faster, and server numbers are much better than is otherwise was the case.

We are looking forward to this game finally making the change. Some of us wish it had started as F2P. People who think F2P always means doom, have out of date points of views. This conversion has been done well elsewhere, it is not the wave of the future, it is RIGHT NOW.

I don't think there is the groundswell of hate people think there is. In fact the forums here are muted compared to what I might have expected. The community is better already.

Now we know why the bugs are not being fixed. promise features are getting pushed back.

If you spent as much time worrying about the current state of the game as you have with implementing all this free to pay crap, the game might be better.

So is all this free to play options going to be buggy as hell when implemented and which is going to take priory in fixing? The free to play crap or the main game content?

This may have already been pointed out in the 81 pages of this but did anyone else notice the asterisk next to the Collector's Edition "freebies" in the chart:

**OFFER VALID FOR PURCHASERS OF Star Wars™: THE OLD REPUBLIC™ (“SWTOR”) COLLECTORS EDITION WITH ACTIVE PAYING SUBSCRIPTION ON DATE OF FREE-TO-PLAY SERVICE LAUNCH..

Why is it that I paid $150 and 6 months worth of subs and I have to read fine print to figure out that all the stuff you are going to give to those who paid for the Collector's Edition you really have to pay a minimum of another $15 bucks to get if you decide you want to play free now? I usually don't complain and I typically would rather pay a sub fee to get all the access to a game that I am playing and having fun with. But to have all these things say "Here's this great deal we are going to give to our fans who spent $150 bucks on the CE" and then find out it is only really true if I really spend more is a little perturbing.

Edited by tarheeliniowa

I think it's good. My suggestion would be to charge 9.99 for subscription/month, with typical discounts for paying quarterly or 6 months ahead. Also...this game is about story and playing through character story lines. That said, I dont want to go through a 2nd or 3rd alt and do all the non-story quests again. Boring...time consuming...not worth the effort. Why not have something around, say, as you finish a character's main story line and go to the next planet, you are automatically leveld up to the minimum for that planet. Or..build something into the legacy system that makes it where for your alts you can use non-story line quests from another character or something and get the XP for it as if you did the quest without having to do the grind.

F2P RUINS GAMES!

Canceling sub a week prior to it auto-billing.

Time to move on to a different game.

Congrats on killing your game that isn't even a year old... Take a look at DC Universe that is what SWTOR will ultimately become... A PIECE OF ****!

Or you could look at games like Star Trek Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online and see that there is a possibility the game will get better or at least be the same if done right. Only time will tell if that happens though. If it crashes and burns, okay. I'll jump ship and cancel my subscription like other people. However, I still see hope for SWTOR being a good story-based MMO and am keeping my subscription until that changes.

Or you could look at games like Star Trek Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online and see that there is a possibility the game will get better or at least be the same if done right. Only time will tell if that happens though. If it crashes and burns, okay. I'll jump ship and cancel my subscription like other people. However, I still see hope for SWTOR being a good story-based MMO and am keeping my subscription until that changes.

STO is filled with griefers and 8-yo kids now. TOR will be the same way when F2P hits.

Why not have something around, say, as you finish a character's main story line and go to the next planet, you are automatically leveld up to the minimum for that planet.

I REALLY like this idea, I'd even grind out a couple million credits to unlock it. Sadly, I don't see it happening. :(

I kinda agree with most other people on the F2P (bad idea in the end) BUT I will say it would be AWESOME to have a lifetime subscription where you could upgrade your account (even if it costed a lat of $$$$$$) so that you wouldn't have to pay a monthly fee it would keep subscribers on and we wouldn't have to worry about paying every few months

I kinda agree with most other people on the F2P (bad idea in the end) BUT I will say it would be AWESOME to have a lifetime subscription where you could upgrade your account (even if it costed a lat of $$$$$$) so that you wouldn't have to pay a monthly fee it would keep subscribers on and we wouldn't have to worry about paying every few months

Now with hindsight I'm glad they didn't have one on offer as I would most likely have bought it back last November. I did buy the CE after having a great time for six months in Beta. It's been hard watching this game plummet ever downwards to where it is now.

At one point in Beta it was great, I think it was the third to last iteration before release. Everything modable. All stats used as the player saw fit to build. It had such promise.

My lifetime subs in STO and CO were not such great expenditures. I think one here in SWTOR would leave a similar sour taste.

This makes me sad :(

Not the fact we now have f2p the fact so much anger and hate toward Bioware and swtor that is circling... Though I am I happy that it can be f2p now because it adds players :D It may be swtor second chance but it kind of also makes it feel like star trek and poc online :/ Not like a serious mmo'er (if thats a word) game which deeply bothers me... Of course I will stick with Swtor until the end!!! XD

Got through the first 10 pages. Basically I'm disappointed. I've been paying for this game since day one because I want too, I like the game.

Anyone who says $14.99 a month is to expensive for entertainment doesn't have a job, or isn't paying any bills. You're talking about $3.50 a week; that's less than 2 soft drinks at a restaurant which is $2.49 each. Depends where you go but maybe you drink water 2 times a week instead of soda and guess what, subscription covered.

To those of you who say F2P works, I'll grant that the crappy ones were crappy BEFORE F2P and that the good ones were good BEFORE F2P, but that's the point. If it's a good game now then why go F2P at all? More people can afford it? Read the previous paragraph please.

Unless I get ALL of the new real money purchasable content at $0.00 I am going to feel like I have to buy stuff that I have already spent real money on. A monthly allotment of tokens won't change that. (How much will 200 coins buy? Will I have to get some content this month and then wait 3-5 months to purchase something else that I should have UNLIMITED access to? More details would help but earning content in-game and waiting for an allowance to buy it are 2 completely different things.) If it's only cosmetic and convenience stuff to purchase most people won't spend $14.99 a month on it per F2P player every month, and if you put stuff on the market that will really help (and sell) the P2P players are going to be pissed. Congratulations, you've just created a no-win scenario for yourselves.

And before someone says "Well, if someone spends ANY money on the market, then that's money BioWare didn't have before."- You're wrong. If someone only spends $1.00 then they have played using up the server bandwidth that the P2P players have been paying for. That's assuming he spends anything. This will lower the average amount per player that BioWare receives while making it almost impossible to determine how much they can expect in a given month. ie. If every sub is $14.99 and there are x amount of players, that means there needs to be x/3000 servers which will cost about y and we make x*14.99. It's called planning. Now imagine month 1) we have 200,000 players average per player is $9.00 / month 2) we have 300,000 players average per player is $5.00 / month 3) really cool stuff hits the market!!!! with 350,000 players average per player around $10.00 / month 4) everyone already has the stuff now, so 350,000 players but only averaging $3.00 each= much friggin harder to plan for or anticipate and a couple of false moves means lots more layoffs which means less content and slower, which will kill the game.

Much nicer to lower sub fee to $9.99. Same effect, fewer drawbacks, and won't eliminate the money gate. And a money gate is what keeps most (most) of the riff-raff out of a community- any community. That's not elitist, that's saying that if you want to associate with me we should do so evenly. If I PAY to go to a park, I'm paying for everything in that park (partially) so I'm vested in not trashing up the place, which would increase my cost to keep going. If I DON'T pay to go to a park, I might enjoy it and be respectful of other people.... or I might realize that I'm only going to be at this park once every 2 or 3 months and not really give a damn if I litter all over the place, eh someone else will deal with it (the people who go there all of the time and don't mind paying to keep it nice). If some people paid a monthly fee to use a park but got a certain amount of free stuff from the gift shop or vending machines, and some people used the park for free but had to pay for everything in it, the 2 groups would see the park differently and hate each other in the end. A park has to be FREE for ALL or member ONLY, not both. Yes there are crappy people that pay to play the game but at least they're paying their share. The community will die quickly if we have to interact on different terms. It has to be 100% F2P for everyone or subscription ONLY.

And by the way, every game I've played that was F2P I ended up quitting after less than a month in most cases- that's Runescape (1.5 yrs), Mabinogi (2 wks), Age of Conan (5 wks), Allods online (1wk), Guild Wars (1wk);

and each game that I had to P2P lasted a year (STO before being sold and WAR until SWTOR came out). The only one that doesn't fit is Runescape and guess what, I was in high school back then. Just my personal experience, not market research, but only children play F2P for longer than a few months and the rest is a revolving door of players that survive on handouts from the hard core (just because I sub? really?) players who actually care about the game but are so tired of trying to cure stupid and answer the same questions only to have them quit and a new batch come in that they stop interacting with anyone not in their guild. And that is when a game dies. I'm not a great player just because I have a subscription and I'm not a horrible player just because I'm trying out a game F2P before I subscribe, but a mixed model like this will make that a reality. This is a BAD thing.

Personally, I'd rather P2P with a community than get free access to stupid. I actually want to pay a subscription. I'm not saying F2P is bad, a lot of people like that model, I'm not one of them. I'd even go so far as to say that the subscription might be to little. I've met a bunch of people in the game that went on my ignore list. Most of them quit after the first few months, and the few of us left before transfers enjoyed each others company enough to keep us paying. If it's a choice between paying a $20.00 or $25.00 subscription, or going F2P (which is where this train will go after a mixed model) I'd rather pay more. Cable is what $50.00-$150.00, what's a pack a day smoking habit cost now?, clubbing once a week? This is my habit, my relax time, my reward and we kind of get off cheap when you think about it. Keep the integrity or loose it, that's the choice here. Just my 2 cents.

I will be with this game for the foreseeable future but if I start loosing the people I play this game with and have to replace them with what F2P will bring in.... I really don't want to think about it. Please reconsider.

Edited by gabrielluigi
grammer error