"Tab" targeting. A nightmare.

Verill

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree that tab targeting sucks in SWTOR (and many newer generation MMO's as well).

In SWTOR it's alot because of LoS. Never played a game where tab target REQUIRES you to have LoS to your target.

I use tab target to cycle through available soft targets at least, more than just target and use an ability which needs LoS, which is not possible in SWTOR.

The best implemented tab target ever = DAoC.

Tab target once = targets nearest available in a 360 degree circle.

Tab target consecutively = targets nearest available and then outward for each target.

Tab target and then wait ~0.5s -> tab target again = target closest target and then target closest target again.

There was NO need for "Target nearest enemy" AND "Target next enemy", same key did both and was very intuitive.

You just said what I wanted but I didn't know how to word it. I was going to say something like, "Tab should target the closest character" then realized it would sound bad because you may need to target someone else from a distance but yeah I agree with the DAoC tab system being implemented here ("consecutive" was the operative word I was looking for). I'm not familiar with that game but the tab sounds good.

You just said what I wanted but I didn't know how to word it. I was going to say something like, "Tab should target the closest character" then realized it would sound bad because you may need to target someone else from a distance but yeah I agree with the DAoC tab system being implemented here ("consecutive" was the operative word I was looking for). I'm not familiar with that game but the tab sounds good.

Yeah. Tab also cleared your target if nothing was in range which was nice for self buffs, heals and such. So you NEVER needed any other key. Of course you picked targets with your mouse in the start of fights though.

Mouselook (locked mouse cursor - as in, you don't have to torture your right mouse button) + DAoC tab target = win!

Has anyone noticed that a lot of the time when you get knocked back or stunned you lose your target? They need to fix both of these issues asap because they're ridiculous. You get knocked back, lose your target, then it's impossible to retarget the person because of how ****** tab is.

Yeah. Tab also cleared your target if nothing was in range which was nice for self buffs, heals and such. So you NEVER needed any other key.

oh no! i hope this would never happen or at least to be optional!

i do not want tab to clear my target. for this i just click on void. tabbing through enemies even out of range is one of the most important features of "tabbing", eevn as melee!

It mostly happens in pvp, happens to me in pve too but rarely

very strange. it never happend to me to any of my chars. even when my sentinel got chain stunned in a zerg i never lost my target.

though, maybe you eat a taunt from a tank specced opponent? there i think exists a ability that can do that. not sure though.

edit: oh and if you had a sentinel/marauder as your target, he could have used camouflage or how it is called. it makes him transparent and anybody that has targeted him is losing target on him.

Edited by me_unknown

very strange. it never happend to me to any of my chars. even when my sentinel got chain stunned in a zerg i never lost my target.

though, maybe you eat a taunt from a tank specced opponent? there i think exists a ability that can do that. not sure though.

edit: oh and if you had a sentinel/marauder as your target, he could have used camouflage or how it is called. it makes him transparent and anybody that has targeted him is losing target on him.

Nah it's not when someone vanishes. Say a sorc or merc knocks me back, half the time it'll drop my target on them. I don't think this is intended.

I definitely agree with this, tab targetting as is makes tanking much more difficult. Also, hopefully this is a 1.2 included change, but improved visibility of my current target (other than the arrow over their head) would make things much easier.

Agree.

Its hard to tell who is being targeted when there are a lot of players on screen.

Also, tab targeting seems totally random and unintuitive.

The tab targeting doesnt work at all in this game. It even feels kinda "slow" or "sluggish", the worst part is you never know what/who you target with next tab. WoW have allready been mentioned, but also Aion have an excellent tab targeting that feels fast and inatuitive.