Community Blog Post Discussion: New Year’s PvP Update

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update Gabe! We love to know that you're hard at work and brief tidbits like this to keep players happy are much appreciated. (Even if it is a distraction from being hard at work!)

Will there ever be any craftable expertise gear/mods to help us as we level valor on new 50 alts against the already geared valor 60 players or is that grind just going to be forever painful in the future?

Great news that PvP is one of the first major systems to be looked at. I've really been enjoying PvP despite a number of issues.

Here's a list of issues I'd love to see addressed

1) Having to rebuff (class buff and sprint) after each death. If the mechanics of the way your buffs work (only apply on cast) then leave that as is, but please don't disable sprint on death in battlegrounds

2) Huttball - need better alert when you've received the ball, it is still unclear and I've played it quite a bit

3) Let players get out of combat quicker. As an Assassin I find myself standing in the corner waiting to get out of combat for an extended period of time.

4) Diminishing returns on stuns - not saying this has the be the answer but it can definitely feel frustrating when being stunlocked.

5) Return us to our group after the round, we don't want to have to constantly re-add to group to play together

Open World PvP on Ilum: The planet of Ilum currently allows for open world PvP even on a PvE server, but the mechanics and incentives of the planet are not in as intended yet. We’re working on longer term goals for the planet and for other PvP areas, but expect to see some interim adjustments in January - such as more respawn points to focus conflicts, restricting Companion Characters from the area, and revisions to rewards. Ilum will also become a major source of Valor. Valor buffs will increase and decrease based on the objectives your faction owns. These buffs increase the amount of Valor you receive per player kill. However they do not give anything in and of themselves, so players will still need to defeat other players for significant Valor rewards. Additionally, daily and weekly missions will require player kills to complete. Player kills for quests and Valor credit will have diminishing returns per player killed. So, the more players that are fighting other players, the better it is for everyone.

So now instead of shooting a rocket at something 5 or 15 times... you're adding in a player kill count requirement. /facepalm.

Faction imbalances aside this is going to leave Ilum with tons of Empire just waiting for a Republic to poke their head out to get a kill and then yelling at other people when their kill count is done so they can get their zone flips.

Capturing Ilum needs to get a tangible faction benefit. I.E. 5% exp boost to your entire faction... or 5% faster crafting speed for your faction. Something to give meaning to holding this zone and a reason to fight for it. The valor buff is currently garbage and giving someone a quest for a bag isn't a meaningful pvp objective.

Solution: Capturing and holding an objective should give you 1/5 the reward that you currently spew out in warzones. The longer you hold the objective the rewards tick to those holding maybe every 25 mins?. I know in Warhammer, the Mythic devs had that loot roll system and public quest reward mechanic... I don't know coding from the next guy, but if you didn't rely on a daily quest to get people into Ilum and built the rewards into the zone itself maybe people would be out there. That way open world rewards would be equal to instanced pvp rewards.

As it stands Ilum is a waste of time... and it's about to just get more tedius reading this update.

Finally, you can't expect people to magically know how open world pvp works. You've gone to great lengths to prevent open world pvp by placing level 50 champion guard 2 inches apart from happening during the natural leveling process BY DESIGN which is a shame. Far be it from me to expect you to design an end game Open World PVP system and, by design, far be it from anyone to expect to kill the other faction let alone know they actually exist in the world since you never bump into them.

At this rate you're about to lose the open world pvp crowd if you haven't already lost them. And just adding a kill requirement is what Rift did to try and force open world pvp. Needless to say giving someone a daily quest to kill someone doesn't work. Ask the Warhammer devs about Dark Crag - Open RVR server in WARs hayday. We are a market but no ones doing it right lately.

I'm not interested in more faction vs. faction PVP. Same faction Hutt Ball is only played as much as it is due to lack of opposing players.
Correct. And that's why Ilum without a Buff for the underpopulated faction will never work.

And btw. A simple HP/Damage scaling buff won't work. The number of CCs/Healer etc. cannot be balanced with just a HP/Damage increase.

We've seen a scaling buff in Wintergrasp in WoW, it didn't work.

Edited by kaesebreze

I can't help but feel like "optimization" in regards to guard, means that it's getting nerfed.

Unless it's terribly underpowered at high levels, though I can't imagine that being the case. I'm enjoying the support for tanks in PvP, and hope to see this support continued!

Not sure about the removal of companions from Ilum, I figured companions had a perfect place in open world PvP, why not leave them? Everyone has access to one, so it's still a balanced fight.

One of the most frustrating parts of open world PvP in an MMO is the rock-paper-scissors nature of class balance. With a companion to balance out our weaknesses, it levels the playing field a bit, and makes fights more interesting, and more importantly, more skill based.

This has been my experience with open world PvP anyway.

That said, bring on the warzone selection!

Edited by Enten