Please fix Smash

Darkensid

There is a major flaw with smash, along with many other "instant" abilities within the game. During the animation for smash, if you are stunned, or push/pulled, the ability gets placed on cool down, but no damage is dealt.

I can reproduce this issue with Talz Spotters on Ilum. If you force charge and immediatly try to smash, you get knocked back during the animation. You cause no damage, and the ability is now on cooldown.

This gets very frustrating in pvp since every class has the ability to push/pull in some form. It is not game breaking, but it happens enough to warrant a post.

Has anyone tested to see if the ability does fire off, but just in whatever area you are when the animation goes off? This happens to me a lot as well, I charge in hit smash and get knocked back mid-animation. I just assumed that the damage got applied wherever the animation finished, and since nothing was around at that location no damage was dealt.

I agree though, the damage should get applied instantly where the ability was used; I also wouldn't mind seeing a little bit larger of a radius on it.

I've had that happen to me but I noticed my smash sometimes hits while i'm in mid air as i see the damage numbers pop up. A simple solution is to wait until you are knocked back to force charge or smash. If you keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results you deserve to fail.

I think they are going to fix animations in the next few patches. it's noted in the recent post of Dev Trackers. BTW, I've been meaning to ask since its on topic of smash. Does anyone else get the fake jump before smash executes? Really annoying! Edited by bashnsmash

Yesterday I had 3 occasions, where smash was executed, ability went on cooldown but:

- I was knockbacked in the middle of it, ability fired, but where I landed, far outside of smashes aoe range.

- Wasn't knockbacked or stunned at all, I jumped 1 mob to get rage, ran towards the middle of the pack to reach all mobs with the aoe, mobs where converging on me, fired smash and didn't get any damage on any of the moving mobs. So use smash only if you are standing still, and mobs/players are also standing still.

- I was already in the air for the skill, when my hp ran out, I clicked release, and I did the smash animation with the aoe effect graphics at the med center. And then noticed, that my hp was only so much when I pushed smash in the first place.

Has anyone tested to see if the ability does fire off, but just in whatever area you are when the animation goes off? This happens to me a lot as well, I charge in hit smash and get knocked back mid-animation. I just assumed that the damage got applied wherever the animation finished, and since nothing was around at that location no damage was dealt.

I agree though, the damage should get applied instantly where the ability was used; I also wouldn't mind seeing a little bit larger of a radius on it.

It goes off in the spot you first cast the smash, not where the animation goes off. So if youre following a moving target, and smash, its not gonna hit him.

I've had that happen to me but I noticed my smash sometimes hits while i'm in mid air as i see the damage numbers pop up. A simple solution is to wait until you are knocked back to force charge or smash. If you keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results you deserve to fail.

It's called a work around and while you are right, broken is still broken.

Besides the only reason this really bothers me is for pvp. Heck I would even be fine with it being interrupted, but it going on cooldown just ain't cool at all.

Try PvP'ing with a Rage spec. All anyone ever has to do is save their CC for when you jump into the air. You will never kill anyone decent enough to pay attention to that, or lucky enough to use their knockback right when you try to smash.

Most of the issues revolving around Smash has to do with how the game incorporated charges and knockbacks. There is technically no 'flight time'. Even though your character is moving through the air, when the game takes into account your position there is no point where you are registered as being in between Point A or Point B. Try charging someone who just casted an AOE incapacitating effect, even though you were technically supposed to be flying through the air when the ability went off, you will still be stunned. They've made charges and knockbacks work like WoW's Blink ability (instantly teleporting the player from one location to a location 30yards in front of them), therefore there is no travel time.

So when you hit your Smash button and get knocked back, even though your Smash should have damaged the people around you when you casted it, due to the delay between the ability being activated and the damage hitting the target, the game has registered your character as being 20m away where you were knocked back (even though your character hasn't had sufficient travel time to technically be there yet) instead of next to your target when you first hit your Smash ability.

This issue isn't just with Smash and other delay-oriented instant abilities, it's an issue with how their code works around knockbacks and charges.