Some Date Updates!

KeithKanneg

Okay but why push back 5.9 because you need one more week for 5.8 though?

May I remind you that both Jedi class had no companion return since before Copero and won't have any with 5.8 meaning that we won't have any new story content to play at all between November and May...

Keith you said you didn't want great lumps of content with long waiting time in between in the future but this is exactly what we're having now for these three flashpoint!

So why? I don't see why an extra week of working on operation content should push back story content we've already been waiting months for...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keith,

I just watched a Podcast you did with "Bad Feeling Podcast". In that podcast you say about raids that you would like to be able to release a full raid and release one like you did with the Gods op, releasing one every 2 months or so. You also, say that you will know more about if and how you can do this by fiscal year 2019. Does this mean that you are releasing a new OP this year or in 2019?

https://badfeelingpodcast.com/

25mins in on Episode 190.

Just to add on. Did you mean you want to do something similar in 2.0 where you released a full raid like SNV and released one boss like TC on makeb? Could you please maybe clarify, Keith?

Edited by mastersdr

Also, while I have your attention, this means we will also move the release of Game Update 5.9 one additional week, too. We were planning to release 5.9 on April 24th, but the new date will be Tuesday, May 1, 2018.

Shame about 5.9 also being pushed back as it would have been released on a Public Holiday here so I would have had the whole day to play. :p

Edited by BlueShiftRecall

I am just going to come right out and say it....

Screw the OP's!!!

What are you doing with the STORY?

Exactly. I want to know their plans for story, and what they mean to do for the future too. That's what I'm interested in.

Yep. I don't care about Ops, PvP, Conquests...what about the story?!?!?!?!?

We won't be getting story anymore, except some FP's 5-10 minutes worth of cutscenes for a year. It is as laughable decision as it can be, considering the state of the servers after the merges and the start of this year...the population decline is pretty showing about the misguided focus on certain content or more accurately the scraps of it. At least on Darth Malgus the picture is clear, population levels are close to that of Red Eclipse before the merges, almost the same number of people on each planet and the fleet, the same number of instances.

Keep up the "good" work devs. Its fine lol, either way you dont have that much more time left.|

On topic: Soooo it took you 5 months for a content that was supposed to be released "Early 2018"...is May early 2018 or my math is a bit off?

Edited by ExarSun

We won't be getting story anymore, except some FP's 5-10 minutes worth of cutscenes for a year. It is as laughable decision as it can be, considering the state of the servers after the merges and the start of this year...the population decline is pretty showing about the misguided focus on certain content or more accurately the scraps of it. At least on Darth Malgus the picture is clear, population levels are close to that of Red Eclipse before the merges, almost the same number of people on each planet and the fleet, the same number of instances.

Keep up the "good" work devs. Its fine lol, either way you dont have that much more time left.|

On topic: Soooo it took you 5 months for a content that was supposed to be released "Early 2018"...is May early 2018 or my math is a bit off?

This hit the nail on the head. We will be with out much in the line of story for some time other than the FP's 5-10 minutes worth of cutscenes. Very disappointing

Dear Keith,

thank you for your update. It is, no matter what feelings it causes, definitely appreciated.

I would like to know though: You claim that Izax is not ready to be delivered yet due to PTS feedback. That's fair and I think it's great that you take your time to make that encounter as good as possible.

However, why does this operation boss effect everything else? Why is everything else delayed as well? Is it, because you actually haven't finished any of those other things yet? How sad is the situation at BW Austin?

97.5%* of your player base could not care less for Izax. Players want to see some updates. Pushing back ALL new content because of an operation boss is either a terrible idea or you are not telling the whole truth.

Bring the new conquest, companion returns and that weird romance as planned. You lose players every day. Even this forum is nowadays almost dead.

If you don't have those non-OPs contents ready yet, tell us honestly. I'm sure most will forgive you. But if the content is ready, there is no excuse to hold it back just because of an optional operation boss. That's my opinion.

*I made up this number due to my perception of what I experience in this game, e. g. in my guilds.

....now I've seen everything.

No, it's not a conspiracy to mask work they haven't finished, or a big middle finger to the story folks or those waiting on 5.9 or Europeans with a public holiday or any of that tin foil....stuff.

It's basic release discipline.

Two of the most basic principles of software release management are that you don't release updates more frequently than necessary, and you don't split up a planned version upgrade unless there's just no way to avoid it. There are some awesome reasons for both.

The best reason for the first is usually around resources. Developers assigned to the first release need to finish what they're doing before they pick up tasks they have assigned on the second. You work them in parallel as much as possible, but inevitably there are people with tasks on both (let's not pretend that BW Austin has a big enough staff to work both with no overlap). There's only 1 PTS....pushing 5.8 and 5.9 closer together leaves less time to test 5.9.

Plus, the closer together you push releases, the harder it becomes to find the cause of any errors or issues, and regressions start to pile up on a codebase that, honestly, already has a substantial amount.

And you NEVER split up a planned release into two releases unless you simply have no choice...that's a quality nightmare. Start with the basic fact that the more often you do something disruptive to a software system (like apply new versions), the greater the opportunity to screw up. Human beings are human.

Then add things like making sure the object and asset references are right, and you don't end up with a reference pointing to something it needs that got left in the other package. All of your internal validation checks have to be split up last-minute....really easy to drop one on the floor, and it only takes one. The list goes on. Hell, I worked for a company once where the package split was perfect, but somebody forgot to adjust the installer (it kept running a check for an asset in the other package). Basically, developers, ops guys, infrastructure folks....everybody was working to one plan and one date, and now they have to redo large chunks of that plan on short deadlines, while they're still doing their other stuff.

You really trust this company to accomplish that correctly in a week? Just to get you part of 5.8 a week earlier? Come on now.

It's not a BW thing or an EA thing. It's not an MMO thing. It's not even a game thing. This is every software company ever; if they're smart, they don't split releases or crunch them closer together than they're comfortable with....not for the sake of a week.

If one section of 5.8 isn't done yet, moving both 5.8 and 5.9 back a week is the right answer. If you care even a tiny bit about the releases going smoothly and minimizing downtime, drop the conspiracy nonsense and let them do it right.

Edited by ArdeliaAgain
So, so many typos

I never said picking up May 1st was a conspiracy against European players :rolleyes:

They just said in the past they would try not to have maintenances on European public holidays because maintenance time is during the whole afternoon for us and I'm just letting them now May 1st is a public holiday in Europe because they may not be aware of that...

SNIP...

That alone (though there are other things as well) that tells me how poorly bioware is doing when it comes to releasing new content and what we are going to get in 2018.

I dare say bioware is nothing more than a 3rd rate game maker these days. Kinda like the games you get off the low shelf at walmart.

Early 2018 content released in May. Really?

I never said picking up May 1st was a conspiracy against European players :rolleyes:

They just said in the past they would try not to have maintenances on European public holidays because maintenance time is during the whole afternoon for us and I'm just letting them now May 1st is a public holiday in Europe because they may not be aware of that...

Ok, that's fair. I conflated several objections that landed in a row, and exaggerated for effect....I apologize for any mischaracterization.

I'm gonna stand by the rest, though ☺

Oh and for your information, May 1st is a public holiday in quite a few European countries so probably not the best date for a maintenance.
- they don't care, deal with it.

Early 2018 content released in May. Really?
- very good observation. Bioware SAID they will release new content early and we must wait to May. They LAID to us and dot. (they don't care). Edited by Trlance

I find the amount of complaining about Bioware LISTENING TO PLAYER FEEDBACK from the PTS hilarious. I understand that you (the general you not a specific you, but this hits home, then you can take it as being directed towards you) want content faster than has been coming, but wow! Seriously. Bioware gets hammered for not testing or listening to testers and then when they DO listen and push something back because it isn't working, you hammer them about that as well.

Take your BMW and pick a side. Don't BMW when they actually do what you ask them to do.

Ok, I gotta admit, your comment made me laugh. Touché!

---Keith

As long as we are being honest here. I can almost guarantee you, we are not laughing for the same reasons.

I find the amount of complaining about Bioware LISTENING TO PLAYER FEEDBACK from the PTS hilarious. I understand that you (the general you not a specific you, but this hits home, then you can take it as being directed towards you) want content faster than has been coming, but wow! Seriously. Bioware gets hammered for not testing or listening to testers and then when they DO listen and push something back because it isn't working, you hammer them about that as well.

Take your BMW and pick a side. Don't BMW when they actually do what you ask them to do.

What part of all this makes you look at the release cadence and go, "Yea, this is early 2018."...?

How do you make that work out? Content coming early 2018! OH BTW! Not really.

Edited by Quraswren

Ok, I gotta admit, your comment made me laugh. Touché!

---Keith

I'm glad you were able to laugh at that comment :D

Our frustration isn't ever personal Keith...we're delighted to be spending our money and time on the things you guys work on every day...we spend HOURS, every day, playing in a world you guys created from scratch...some of us spend more time online in a single day, than you guys possibly could at the office.

I hope you take all of our frustrations as praise for how much we enjoy what you guys work on. Don't ever be insulted...be humbled by how much passion you're able to create doing what you do. We wouldn't be here complaining if we weren't also enthralled by what you guys do for a living :)

What part of all this makes you look at release cadence and go, "Yea, this is early 2018."...?

How do you make that work out? Content coming early 2018! OH BTW!. You wont see it till May.

So...... would you have complained about the bugs and everything else that was messed up? Yes.

Are you complaining because they listened and are not releasing something broken Yes.

The content cadence is slow, but, May 1 is technically in the first 3rd of the the year, so yes, it would still be early 2018 if you split it into 3 areas, early/mid/late (Unless of course it is a leap year). It is the last day of the "early" third. So..... yeah. It is still "early" 2018. :) That is how you make it work that is still early 2018.

PS...... No... personally I don't think May 1 is early 2018. I was commenting on all the people B****ing Moaning and Whining about them actually testing something and pushing it back because it was broken.

Edited by MacCleoud

Oh and for your information, May 1st is a public holiday in quite a few European countries so probably not the best date for a maintenance.

It's worse than merely "a public holiday" in France. It is a sort of master mode public holiday, when just about everything, including trains, shops, restaurants, and similar, ALL stops. The police, firefighters, hospitals, power stations, and other important stuff continues to work, but that's about all.

So almost everyone's at home, and now they want to shut down the game all afternoon as well. Bah!

Perhaps they should take a leaf out of GW2's book. GW2, like GW1 before it, remains "up" the whole time there's a patch. If you're playing when the patch drops, you start to see messages in-game telling you that a new build is available. If you persist in staying logged in, when the new patch is two hours old, you get forcibly logged out.

No matter how you exit, the game will patch itself once you're out, and you can then bounce in and play.

This is true even for big huge patches like Heart of Thorns (which introduced new maps, a new story, and even a new class), and Path of Fire (mounts, new maps, new story, new challenges). And they can, if necessary, issue multiple emergency patches the same day.

So...... would you have complained about the bugs and everything else that was messed up? Yes.

There is no reason not to. So sure.

Are you complaining because they listened and are not releasing something broken Yes.

No, I'm complaining because May isn't early 2018. However, that you think it still wont be broken in some way is amusing.

The content cadence is slow, but, May 1 is technically in the first 3rd of the the year, so yes, it would still be early 2018 if you split it into 3 areas, early/mid/late (Unless of course it is a leap year). It is the last day of the "early" third. So..... yeah. It is still "early" 2018. :) That is how you make it work that is still early 2108.

I guess you made it work but only if you were delusional but I did ask. Nearly every business runs quarterly BTW. 5 months into the year isn't early, even by your own made up scenario it would be mid.

PS...... No... personally I don't think May 1 is early 2018. I was commenting on all the people B****ing Moaning and Whining about them actually testing something and pushing it back because it was broken.

At this point with bioware. I pretty much give everyone a large birth to complain about this game and how bioware handles it. They don't get some free pass from complaints for pushing back both patches when it was only one that had the problem they mention. Lets push back the second patch because they can at least be consistent in the screw ups and negative PR.

Doing something like that tells me something is rotten behind the curtain more than one messed up ops boss.

Edited by Quraswren

There is no reason not to. So sure.

I guess you made it work but only if you were delusional but I did ask. Nearly every business runs quarterly BTW. 5 months into the year isn't early, even by your own made up scenario it would be mid.

I think everything else you said is right, but on this one.... May 1st is the 121st day of the year falls as the last full day of the first third. 121.666666667 days per third. :)

BUT... we run quarterly as well, and "Early" is Q1 for us. "Late" 2018 Q3. Q4 is "Oh Sh** we have to get these done before Thanksgiving" and we don't do any major changes between Thanksgiving and January 10th of the following year.

and you did ask...LOL.

Don't get me wrong, I think the cadence is slow. If they are going to be dropping Ops in an extended manner as they did with Gods, and interchanging that with an FP/"small" story/WZ thrown in then this is how I would expect it.

January- FP/Small Story

Feb - Boss

March FP/WZ/Story

April - Boss

May - FP/Story

June- Boss

July- FP/WZ/Story

August- Boss

Sept - FP/Story

Oct - Boss

November - FP/WZStory

December no changes.

6 bits of story, 6 new FP's, 5 new bosses and 3 new WZ's (even if they are reskins and a new mechanic...)every year

Rinse Repeat. But, not sure the funding BW receives would cover allowing this to happen.