Pyro Railshot ever 6 Seconds!??!?!

Assaultrooper

Ok in the 1.2 patch notes Link Here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=363056

They apparently were aiming to tackle builds were u used the Tank stance while taking the Prototype Particle Accelerator. YET, WHY!? Why the 6 sec cd on it??? Why the increased % chance for it to go off??? It was fine as it was! As it was meant to be!

I am a deep Pyro player and I love the fact that RNG is a very important factor into our spec, YOU bioware with this changes are eliminating that! No longer will I be able be "super lucky" and get 3 rail shots consecutively, I will just stand back and practice my rotation, because that railshot WILL proc every 6 secs....

Please Bioware, Please... I don't want you to buff railshot... I don't want you to buff TD to compensate. I loved my RNG I choose PT in the first place because I love to take that gamble in fights! Please remove that 6 second un-necessary cooldown...

I was frustrated too at hearing the change, as the current implementation is the best burst for pvp one can get. Looking at all the other similar skills though, it was unique that this talent reset didn't have a cooldown, and the change is begrudgingly warranted. I will miss the crazy damage though.

45% Flame burst 60% Rocket punch.

Hardly significant.

u guys realize its not going to trigger every 6 seconds. the significant increase in rates arent that significant. it will be just as random but with a 6 second cooldown. hope u guys are getting ready for a lot autoattacking.

it is a nerf and a pretty big one.

EDIT: The Biggest issue with Nerf Overall is combination of

a) Nerf to our Proc ability (Our hardest damage dealer has a proc cd of 6 secs now)

b) Our vent tied to this Proc

Meaning before on average you could expect a proc every 3 attacks or 4.5 secs. Now with the cooldown you can expect a proc every 6 seconds AND 2 attacks, giving us a grand total of 9 secs.

Conclusion: Not only was our "fun" RNG factor nerfed, BUT also our overall dps. Our heat vent average timer got increased by 100%, our MAIN damage dealer now has an average of 9 sec cooldown. We are looking as a dps class about a 30% nerf to our overall DPS. By all means the Greatest Nerf up to date!

This started as me concerned that my spec would not be "fun" and now I realize this might be a survival issue for Pyrotechs

Edited by Assaultrooper

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No longer will I be able be "super lucky" and get 3 rail shots consecutively, I will just stand back and practice my rotation, because that railshot WILL proc every 6 secs....

Exactly. They are reining in what can, with luck, be a silly amount of burst and heat dissipation with literally no drawbacks.

I'm going to miss it when I'm specced Pyro too, but it really does get out of control when I get multiple back-to-back procs.

Exactly. They are reining in what can, with luck, be a silly amount of burst and heat dissipation with literally no drawbacks.

I'm going to miss it when I'm specced Pyro too, but it really does get out of control when I get multiple back-to-back procs.

Yea but there have been even more times when I DONT get any procs at all, and THAT is the beauty of the spec! Basically rolling the dice and see what you get in each fight! NOW I pretty much have it secured...

Edited by Assaultrooper

This is probably a really good change. Instead of spamming FB and RP to get a RS and building up obscene amounts of heat, heat will be more manageable, and I doubt the change will affect our dps very much. There's nothing as crappy as spamming FB/RP and getting too hot trying to get a RS that never comes....

That being said, I'm glad the Parakeet is dead. Any spec that is named after something so dumb deserves to die.

Ok in the 1.2 patch notes Link Here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=363056

They apparently were aiming to tackle builds were u used the Tank stance while taking the Prototype Particle Accelerator. YET, WHY!? Why the 6 sec cd on it??? Why the increased % chance for it to go off??? It was fine as it was! As it was meant to be!

I am a deep Pyro player and I love the fact that RNG is a very important factor into our spec, YOU bioware with this changes are eliminating that! No longer will I be able be "super lucky" and get 3 rail shots consecutively, I will just stand back and practice my rotation, because that railshot WILL proc every 6 secs....

Please Bioware, Please... I don't want you to buff railshot... I don't want you to buff TD to compensate. I loved my RNG I choose PT in the first place because I love to take that gamble in fights! Please remove that 6 second un-necessary cooldown...

I would MUCH rather count on using this skill every 6 seconds than pray to use it every 3-4 seconds and have it not proc at all.

I would MUCH rather count on using this skill every 6 seconds than pray to use it every 3-4 seconds and have it not proc at all.

^

Nothing is more frustrating then realizing you are using Railshot only because the full cooldown went it's duration.

This basically says I'm guaranteed every 6 secs to vent 8 heat. Which hell, I like. Well, I don't know full % on the proc rates yet, but if they were substationally increased it would hold true.

Never saw my godmode Tanksin nerfs and a little annoyed at the AOE Kings that Maras will become :( But overall I liked the patch notes.

Edited by exphryl

I was frustrated too at hearing the change, as the current implementation is the best burst for pvp one can get. Looking at all the other similar skills though, it was unique that this talent reset didn't have a cooldown, and the change is begrudgingly warranted. I will miss the crazy damage though.

Its a good change imo. Now, why they're not adjusting the damage of that wet noodle called Advanced Proto is confusing.

They kinda are "buffin" AP, now u pretty much COULD have a rail shot crit every time its off cooldown, with how the dot would proc it... I tried out AP since 1.1.5 (now I have 30 fps in very low) and AP wasnt THAT bad, still bad, but not that bad.

Granted that pyro changes will make it MUCH more sustain dps instead of burst Im really curious how the new snare and dps buff in AP will play out.

u guys realize its not going to trigger every 6 seconds. the significant increase in rates arent that significant. it will be just as random but with a 6 second cooldown. hope u guys are getting ready for a lot autoattacking.

Edited by dudexx

After some thinking I realized this... How it is right now we still got the entire bad stuff from the RNG, yet none of the Good stuff.

I can FB/RP spam and there is the possibility that I will go the entire fight without a proc... YET there is not the possibility that I will get back to back procs.

Sad day... :(

Edited by Assaultrooper

This is a harsh for balancing a 3 or 4sec cd would have been more reasonable with the use of CGC, but 6 sec jacks with our heat control

4.5 Secs would have been fine. It would match the Flame Barrage talent in this tank tree. That's what it should be.

Napkin math incoming!

I'm assuming a spec without TD.

When I write "attack" I mean Flame Burst or Rocket Punch.

Currently the expected number of attacks needed to proc PPA is around 3 (best case scenario is around 2.83, worst case is around 3.33). A 4-GCD rotation consisting of 3 attacks and 1 PPA-boosted Rail Shot lands at +10 heat every 6 seconds. Without any downtime, this is not sustainable. Weaving in one Rapid Shots in every rotation changes the heat increase to +2.5 heat every 7.5 seconds. Vent Heat can easily cover that heat gain.

In 1.2, the expected number of attacks needed to proc PPA is around 2 (best case scenario is around 1.89, worst case is around 2.22). The two first GCDs after using Rail Shot are 'lost', so a total of around 4 GCDs are needed to proc PPA. This becomes a 5-GCD rotation consisting of 2 attacks, 1 PPA-boosted Rail Shot, and 2 more abilities. We see that if one attack and one Rapid Shots is chosen, this becomes the exact same rotation as above, resulting in the same manageable heat gain, +2.5 heat every 7.5 seconds.

The rotation in 1.2 should perform approximately as well as the current rotation on a target dummy over an extended period of time.

However, any fight that has downtime will allow for more aggressive heat usage, which should favor the current rotation. The 1.2 rotation, on the other hand, has more opportunity for using Incendiary Missie, Sticky Bomb etc. without wasting potential PPA procs.

The problem is this, it won't be a rail shot every 6 secs, its going to be more in the realms of 8 - 9 sec rail shot cd's (No idea if someone has already mentioned this, and after reading my post, if someone can comfirm something different, please do)

By rights any procs on particle inside the 6 sec cooldown will be not counted. So its only anything after the 6 sec internal cd will it have a chance to proc.

Further taking into consideration that the more likely to proc skill (rocket punch) will very likely be on cd/blown within the 6 sec internal cd timer, the likely hood of having a rocket punch ready to go immediantly after the internal 6 sec cd, and be in melee range is pretty low.

So that leaves flameburst, will take approx 2 flame bursts for a proc, add a couple of GCD and you have a more realistic fire rate of 8-9 secs.

The problem is this, it won't be a rail shot every 6 secs, its going to be more in the realms of 8 - 9 sec rail shot cd's (No idea if someone has already mentioned this, and after reading my post, if someone can comfirm something different, please do)

By rights any procs on particle inside the 6 sec cooldown will be not counted. So its only anything after the 6 sec internal cd will it have a chance to proc.

Further taking into consideration that the more likely to proc skill (rocket punch) will very likely be on cd/blown within the 6 sec internal cd timer, the likely hood of having a rocket punch ready to go immediantly after the internal 6 sec cd, and be in melee range is pretty low.

So that leaves flameburst, will take approx 2 flame bursts for a proc, add a couple of GCD and you have a more realistic fire rate of 8-9 secs.

True, and more I think about it, more I want to retract my original statement. This ISN'T warranted, and looks to make the proc based spec feel significantly more clunky. For example, pvp one now must avoid opening with flame burst / rocket punch before the initial rail shot (that's dependant on a dot, ie an opener) or gimp their burst with an accidental proc. As you mentioned too, there's now a static rotation to WHEN you fire your rocket punch.

So what have they done? Locked everyone of a spec into a very rigid skill sequence/cycle, made combat more boring, and potentially turned the pure dps spec into a lackluster one with no redeeming value.

As a pvp player, I'm starting to think this idea of coupling proc based talents (the fun ones that make combat unique) with a cooldown is a terrible one. BW seems to think opposite. I would wager this is PvE rotational boringness coming to bear on the game, and I don't like it, honestly.

Edited by Shiboe

Guys... we can't let this go through... I mean when they nerf Operative they buff them in some way (stun-way for instance), when they nerf mercenaries they buff them in other ways (more sustained dps), when they nerf sorcs they buff them in someway, (Madness is getting buffed at the expense of their hybrid).

THIS is a pure nerf for nerf sake no hidden buff or anything!

This is the truth. This is also more reliable heat venting every six seconds than leaving it up to chance.