I'm with Bindo, Jedi's need lovin, too!

Terin

Screw the Jedi Order, I'm making my own choices. I fully intended to play a fully Light-sided Jedi Guardian, but after encountering the two student lovers, I was forced to break away from the Jedi code. Likeside, I don't see how ratting-out your fellow student and getting them kicked from the order would be so much Light, as Neutral.

So screw it, I'm going Grey is that's what it takes.

Given that force-sensitivity is genetic, you kinda hope some of the Jedi are breaking Code on that particular rule.

Heck, if Anakin stuck to the Code, Luke and Leia would never have been born. Conversely, if the Jedi had accomodated his marriage to Padme and given him someone other than the Dark Lord of the Sith to talk to about his problems, maybe we would have seen several other Skywalker siblings.

Edited by JakeLightbearer

Agreed, never been a fan of the Jedi's aversion to relationships. I'll gladly take a few dark side hits or avoid the alignment choices altogether if it means I get to be a normal human being instead of a repressed maniac. I don't want to give all of my money away to strangers, I don't want to be celibate, and I don't want to forgive mass murderers. I don't think this makes me evil but apparently in Star Wars it does :rolleyes: Edited by Bone_Machine

You might say that the Jedi rejection of all emotion is the cause of a lot of their problems. I mean, they're not followers of Surak (if I can mix my franchises here). They don't replace emotion with logic. It just feels like a constant repression, which isn't really beneficial for mental health.

The Jedi don't reject emotion. Do some actual research on the Code and its lore. They reject attachment, obsession and entitlement -- all feelings that love is extremely prone to causing.

The couple on Tython actually showcases why the rules make sense: the woman at least is already on a very slippery slope. Emotional out the wazoo, no control, no discipline. Lying. Telling others to lie for her. Blackmail. I don't remember if she actually threatens you, even? That's a whole battery of alarm bells ringing like crazy there. "K3wl rebels 4 luv" may look cutesy in and of themselves -- but could they be trusted with a superweapon, the ability to scramble your brains right out of your ears and all the authority that being a Jedi gives them? Force Sensitives are creepy enough when they have strong ethics and self-control. Take that away and you have a recipe for disaster.

And Jolee Bindo isn't someone I'd want to emulate on this issue, seeing as how badly he mucked up in his own love affair.

As my good friend Jorander would state if he were here, the Jedi don't forbid love as long as attachment and jealousy aren't involved, the Jedi council knew all about Anakin and Padme, yet they didn't kick him out the order, Obi-Wan even tries to teach him a little in AotC when Padme falls out of the transport, what was the right thing to do? Love=/=Dark Side. Edited by Rayla_Felana

The Jedi don't reject emotion. Do some actual research on the Code and its lore. They reject attachment, obsession and entitlement -- all feelings that love is extremely prone to causing.

The couple on Tython actually showcases why the rules make sense: the woman at least is already on a very slippery slope. Emotional out the wazoo, no control, no discipline. Lying. Telling others to lie for her. Blackmail. I don't remember if she actually threatens you, even? That's a whole battery of alarm bells ringing like crazy there. "K3wl rebels 4 luv" may look cutesy in and of themselves -- but could they be trusted with a superweapon, the ability to scramble your brains right out of your ears and all the authority that being a Jedi gives them? Force Sensitives are creepy enough when they have strong ethics and self-control. Take that away and you have a recipe for disaster.

And Jolee Bindo isn't someone I'd want to emulate on this issue, seeing as how badly he mucked up in his own love affair.

This.

Except the end part, I'd disagree, Bindo did everything right, but his wife couldn't handle her emotions, thus she corrupted herself.

Edited by Rayla_Felana

It's probably worth noting that a Grey Jedi is not the same thing as being a force sensitive on the neutral part of the Light/Dark spectrum. Grey Jedi are defined by their schism with the Jedi council over policy and philosophy.

For example a jedi who subscribes to the Potentium view of the force is not likely to agree with the Council who generally assert the view of the Living Force.

So if you want to play a Grey Jedi you can be as Light sided as you like (though if you veer to far into the Dark side, you stop being rebellious and just become Sith) you just tell the council to shove it when they're wrong.

Edited by Cyro

The Padawan lovers appeared to be young and in the stages of puppy love. This is a common trait of teenagers. Putting up some wall to prevent a mistake early on in one's life which has been oriented towards the service of a greater good seems to be a fair choice.

I do not subscribe to the whole Jedi cannot have relationships thing but it is clearly shown that personal attachments throughout Jedi lore have caused the downfall and unreversable actions of many Jedi. Jedi have always have had relationships but it was about forming relationships that superceded the purpose of being a Jedi.

To use a real life example, look at any military organization. The military life comes first and the family life comes second... and in some militaries... is not even supported. The Jedi in the Jedi Order act as a super organization that needs dedicated members who will not fall down a certain path that can spell disaster for the many.

Jedi are living weapons and forcing some manner of responsibility, especially at the early stages, seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable action.